• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation DVD Ranking, December 7-13

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Fargo622 wrote:

That's very interesting. I'd like to see more into that if possible. I didn't really know there was a huge difference in packaging and video quality in English releases compared to Japanese releases. I wonder if there's any comparison's anyone's done out there that fully show it.

Japanese packaging is far nicer than current US packaging. Chipboard boxes are pretty common (though often limited to being first press extras), while they've pretty much disappeared from US releases. Materials used in the packaging in general are higher quality (paper, printing, design, etc.) You can see pretty decent photos of the first 3 Bakemonogatari volumes' packaging at CDJapan:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=ANZX-9451
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=ANZX-9453
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=ANZX-9455

Almost all releases in Japan are still singles with 2 or 3 episodes per disc. This probably has something to do with better quality audio/video. The Japanese approach to DVD encoding seems to have been just max out the bitrate since there's plenty of room to spare on the disc. This has carried over to Blu-ray where bitrates on most Japanese releases are in the 30s to over 40 mbps. Using constantly high bitrates doesn't guarantee high quality video, but it does make it a lot less likely that you'll screw thing up. In addition, most US DVD releases use interlaced video, while most R2 DVDs use progressive video. Uncompressed PCM audio on R2 DVDs is common while almost non-existent in the US. Even with Blu-ray, Funimation doesn't seem to know that uncompressed/lossless compressed stereo audio exists.

There is a catch of course - price. Japanese releases typically cost 3x -5x what US releases do (and no subtitles). And you still have people whining that anime costs too much in the US. I await the first US anime release that consists of loose discs in a ziploc bag with a photocopied label on the bag. Seems to be the direction the market wants things to go.

TJR wrote:
Quality is high if you're referring to singles. These are often similar to the Japanese releases and feature the same video transfers. Of course, episode counts usually reflect the Japanese releases too, which means two or three episodes per disc.

OTOH, budget boxsets are bootleg quality (plastic sleeves for discs, flimsy case that usually breaks during shipping). Where full-series collections are concerned, American packaging (although still cheap) is infinitely better.

Yes, I referred to the singles (Identical audio/video to R2 releases is what I've heard), but I didn't even know they did budget boxsets. Those don't sound so good.
Annf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:23 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
most US DVD releases use interlaced video, while most R2 DVDs use progressive video

Is that true? I was under the impression the opposite happened, that progressive compresses better and thus you wound up with some U.S. releases de-interlaced in order to fit more eps on the discs (and get problems like what happened to the opening animation in the U.S release of Last Exile).

I guess we could survey our U.S. and Japanese disc collections and see how many are progressive or interlaced. Smile

One video issue I've noticed on U.S. releases is the video quality dropping in openings and endings when English credits are added. For example, on the U.S. release of This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, the video quality on the show is excellent, the video quality on the textless OP is excellent, but the OP-with-English-credits that plays before each episode looks horrible, like it was run through some kind of low-res filter.

hissatsu01 wrote:
Uncompressed PCM audio on R2 DVDs is common while almost non-existent in the US.

There's still much usage of DD stereo even on Japanese DVDs, but I guess it's to save bitrate for video. 100% of the Japanese BDs I've gotten so far are PCM/lossless, though. (2ch BD thread-goers throw a fit and email-bomb companies any time audio specs are announced that aren't perfect. CC Sakura BD box was originally announced as 5.1. PCM & 2ch DD stereo. It was changed to 5.1. PCM & 2ch PCM with an official announcement that they re-investigated the audio and bitrates after receiving customer concerns.)

hissatsu01 wrote:
I await the first US anime release that consists of loose discs in a ziploc bag with a photocopied label on the bag. Seems to be the direction the market wants things to go.
Haha, yeah, I get the same impression.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:
most US DVD releases use interlaced video, while most R2 DVDs use progressive video

Is that true? I was under the impression the opposite happened, that progressive compresses better and thus you wound up with some U.S. releases de-interlaced in order to fit more eps on the discs (and get problems like what happened to the opening animation in the U.S release of Last Exile).

I guess we could survey our U.S. and Japanese disc collections and see how many are progressive or interlaced. Smile

Feel free to check. I'd guess 75-80% of US releases are interlaced. Most (or all) titles authored by Speedvd are progressive, but otherwise it's mostly interlaced.

Quote:

One video issue I've noticed on U.S. releases is the video quality dropping in openings and endings when English credits are added. For example, on the U.S. release of This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, the video quality on the show is excellent, the video quality on the textless OP is excellent, but the OP-with-English-credits that plays before each episode looks horrible, like it was run through some kind of low-res filter.

This happened with a lot of ADV releases. Don't know why. Limitation of the equipment used? Incompetence? Both?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2