• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Clannad After Story Sub.DVD 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgreater1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
I don't really see what that has to do with the price of bananas. We could sit here and argue what-ifs all day, but the fact that somebody saw fit to interfere with the regular voting process means it's impossible to know what the result would be otherwise. It's a bit of a Schroedinger's Cat scenario.

What? Price of bananas? I'm trying to point out that even though your post is stating that something's wrong with the spot listing.it seems more like an attack to the fans instead, particularly, KyoAni KEY fans. Anyway, I'm not arguing about the anomalies of the spot listing. You think it's only happening on the #1 and #2 spot? We can assume it's also happening in every spot but not as intense. But I don't care about that, let those fanboys from all & both shows do what they enjoy, an admin would clean some of it anyway and that's what I've noticed here in ANN. Once that happens, you'll see a more accurate listing than what you believe is being proxied by KyoAni and KEY fans & fanboys.

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
The vast majority of people I've seen who are fans of the show seem to pretend it's completely flawless and snap to attention with any number of excuses for it's shortcomings should anybody dare to point them out. It's not assumption, I'm going on what I've seen and how people act and react where this show is concerned.

Nothing is perfect but the shortcomings you think of, is just an opinion that you and possibly others who share the same thoughts believe exist in the show. And because it's just personal opinions, expect a lot of counter arguments that's also based on personal opinions. But anyway, the vast majority you met pretends it's complete flawless? Where have you been lurking? The vast majority I've encountered says they could have done something better with the ending like this and like that and would argue and discuss things about the show.

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
"Good" is in the eye of the beholder. If you were to ask any average Kyoani fanboy what they think of their shows of course they would start pontificating about their so called track record of perfection, but if you ask me they've just got a whole lot of hype going for them and not a lot of quality content to back it up. At least not to anywhere remotely close the extent to which they are praised for having. You ask some of the more extreme fanboys and it's like they have never made a single mistake in their entire history of production and that they have no room for improvement because they are "perfect".

And so, you're trying to imply that KyoAni's shows doesn't have much quality? Quality is also a part of being "good" so a good series is also a series with a good quality, a great series has great qualities, it wouldn't be called great if people didn't find qualities in it. Anyway, I can see that you have a really negative views towards fanboys since you keep mentioning them, while here I am just trying to point out that your message is more like an attack to them but at the same time, hitting some innocent non fanboys as well. Well... you can't do much anything about that, you'll just have to cope up with them. You're like the complete opposite of KyoAni fanboys.

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Again Schroedinger's cat scenario because who is to know how things would be otherwise. All I do know is that it is being proxied up and it is more than likely because of a zealot fanboy. What happened to that comparison by the way?

All I know is that it's being voted with a high ranking and probably, someone else proxy voting it down as well. Anyway, as I was always trying to point out, your post before seemed more like it wouldn't reach its spot if it weren't for that zealot fanboy, disregarding the fact that it's in that spot because of genuine votes. Assuming we took out those zealot fanboys who are fake voting those shows, do you think those with high anking positions will drastically drop down that easily?

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
People working behind the scenes to deliberately manipulate and corrupt the ranking polls on this site are innocent fans now?

What? How did you come up with that kind of idea? It's okay to throw rocks at others but make sure no one else would get hit beside the ones your aiming for.

So in other words, it's okay to attack fanboys, but you accidentally hit me and probably somebody else as well. The fact I retaliated is a proof that I got provoke by your post.

I probably got irratated by your bolded rant which I found repetitive. I mean, you're trying to point out the obvious in a not so good way not to mention, your views on how CLANNAD AS got to that spot because of the established fandom (that might be true, but CLANNAD dwarfs compare to the fandom of HARUHI and specially, fandom of the MAINSTREAMS). I haven't seen much of the other anime site's listing but I bet you here's probably a good consistency on almost every anime in the listing. Anyway, ANN and Anisuki forums is basically the ones I browse in terms of anime so I'm not sure about the consistency.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
dgreater1 wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
I don't really see what that has to do with the price of bananas. We could sit here and argue what-ifs all day, but the fact that somebody saw fit to interfere with the regular voting process means it's impossible to know what the result would be otherwise. It's a bit of a Schroedinger's Cat scenario.

What? Price of bananas? I'm trying to point out that even though your post is stating that something's wrong with the spot listing.it seems more like an attack to the fans instead, particularly, KyoAni KEY fans. Anyway, I'm not arguing about the anomalies of the spot listing. You think it's only happening on the #1 and #2 spot? We can assume it's also happening in every spot but not as intense. But I don't care about that, let those fanboys from all & both shows do what they enjoy, an admin would clean some of it anyway and that's what I've noticed here in ANN. Once that happens, you'll see a more accurate listing than what you believe is being proxied by KyoAni and KEY fans & fanboys.

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
The vast majority of people I've seen who are fans of the show seem to pretend it's completely flawless and snap to attention with any number of excuses for it's shortcomings should anybody dare to point them out. It's not assumption, I'm going on what I've seen and how people act and react where this show is concerned.

Nothing is perfect but the shortcomings you think of, is just an opinion that you and possibly others who share the same thoughts believe exist in the show. And because it's just personal opinions, expect a lot of counter arguments that's also based on personal opinions. But anyway, the vast majority you met pretends it's complete flawless? Where have you been lurking? The vast majority I've encountered says they could have done something better with the ending like this and like that and would argue and discuss things about the show.

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
"Good" is in the eye of the beholder. If you were to ask any average Kyoani fanboy what they think of their shows of course they would start pontificating about their so called track record of perfection, but if you ask me they've just got a whole lot of hype going for them and not a lot of quality content to back it up. At least not to anywhere remotely close the extent to which they are praised for having. You ask some of the more extreme fanboys and it's like they have never made a single mistake in their entire history of production and that they have no room for improvement because they are "perfect".

And so, you're trying to imply that KyoAni's shows doesn't have much quality? Quality is also a part of being "good" so a good series is also a series with a good quality, a great series has great qualities, it wouldn't be called great if people didn't find qualities in it. Anyway, I can see that you have a really negative views towards fanboys since you keep mentioning them, while here I am just trying to point out that your message is more like an attack to them but at the same time, hitting some innocent non fanboys as well. Well... you can't do much anything about that, you'll just have to cope up with them. You're like the complete opposite of KyoAni fanboys.

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Again Schroedinger's cat scenario because who is to know how things would be otherwise. All I do know is that it is being proxied up and it is more than likely because of a zealot fanboy. What happened to that comparison by the way?

All I know is that it's being voted with a high ranking and probably, someone else proxy voting it down as well. Anyway, as I was always trying to point out, your post before seemed more like it wouldn't reach its spot if it weren't for that zealot fanboy, disregarding the fact that it's in that spot because of genuine votes. Assuming we took out those zealot fanboys who are fake voting those shows, do you think those with high anking positions will drastically drop down that easily?

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
People working behind the scenes to deliberately manipulate and corrupt the ranking polls on this site are innocent fans now?

What? How did you come up with that kind of idea? It's okay to throw rocks at others but make sure no one else would get hit beside the ones your aiming for.

So in other words, it's okay to attack fanboys, but you accidentally hit me and probably somebody else as well. The fact I retaliated is a proof that I got provoke by your post.

I probably got irratated by your bolded rant which I found repetitive. I mean, you're trying to point out the obvious in a not so good way not to mention, your views on how CLANNAD AS got to that spot because of the established fandom (that might be true, but CLANNAD dwarfs compare to the fandom of HARUHI and specially, fandom of the MAINSTREAMS). I haven't seen much of the other anime site's listing but I bet you here's probably a good consistency on almost every anime in the listing. Anyway, ANN and Anisuki forums is basically the ones I browse in terms of anime so I'm not sure about the consistency.

You'll have to forgive my earlier boldness. I've gotten so used to people just not getting what I'm trying to point out or just instantly rejecting it because they are diehard fanboys (the reason I dislike them is because they are almost impossible to reason with or challenge with an idea that is contrary to their own) that casting a wide net and going over the top with my arguments has almost become second nature to me trying to get through to your average poster. I'm not trying to be rude, but I honestly didn't expect anybody to actually get or even listen to what I was pointing out the first time through so I indeed used some repetition and extreme arguments to draw attention to them.

I really don't know what the situation would be like without proxy votes. I don't know how many of them there are versus fake ones, but I do know that it's not just the 2 that have been mentioned. Sorting it all out could likely take weeks so I'm not really expecting a moderator to want to come and devote their time to fixing it. I also think that despite the relatively small size of Clannad's fanbase that it has been greatly inflated in it's footprint due to how devoted and zealous some of them can be.

Normally I wouldn't find something like this worth paying much attention to since everything that is popular has a devoted fandom in one way or another, but Clannad (and Kyoani fandom as a whole) has a way of being an exception to this in (in my eyes) in just how consistently in your face the more hardcore studio fanboys get whenever they have an ongoing show. I can't think of any other fandom that has quite the same tendency to pull a "my show is better than your show" gambit and in such a subversive and consistent way that it almost comes across as trolling.

And this attitude still wouldn't even be a problem or concern to me if I felt even half of them that I've met could be reasoned with or convinced to at least try other shows or consider other ideas/viewpoints before coming up to me with it, but I find in the majority of cases they just ignore such suggestions and thus I've fallen into the habit of forgoing them altogether and just talking around them, not because I'm trying to condemn them outright (though I'll admit there's little love lost between me and that kind of fan) but moreso because it rarely did me any good whenever I used to try to.

Anyway since you seem reasonable (it's getting harder and harder to be able to say that about the people I come across on internet forums) I'll admit that of course I don't think all Kyoani shows are without quality, just that I refuse to join the chorus on claiming they are all best ever/of contenders. I guess if I were to give them all labels it would like something like:

Full Metal Panic Fumoffu - Decent
Full Metal Panic The Second Raid - Very Good
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Good
Kanon 2006 - Decent
Lucky Star - Decent
Clannad - Good
Clannad After Story - Good
K-On - Weak
Haruhi 2009 - Bad
Munto TV - Awful

P.S: "Price of bananas" is a figure of speech which is basically used to suggest that something somebody mentioned is unrelated from the topic being discussed.

P.S.S: It's not fanboys I have an issue with so much as people that are completely unwilling to be challenged with an idea that doesn't fall into their world view and who have no idea how to reason or think for themselves. For example as much as people were joking at the beginning of the thread about Theron opening the floodgates to getting flamed for giving Clannad After story anything less than an A+ on all categories it was probably a very real concern.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
i honestly loved the review it was well written/done. On the ending it does feel like a bit of cop out but I played the game before seeing the ending so I knew what was coming and why. I do however felt like it was rushed and not well done as it could have been. I am happy that the series did have a happy ending and it does take a lot to understand but I still love this series none the less. If I had to rate it overall i would give it 4/5. Also sorry for bumping an old thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KazzieJay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
I don't know why this anime is getting so much flak just because of a few faults it had. The only real big fault was the ending but apart from that, it shouldn't be something to take literally. Air had more flaws than Clannad did, as Kanon had flaws too but no one will admit that Kanon had noticeable flaws, which is why I kind of dislike Kanon. I'm not saying it's bad, but it is nowhere near a perfect anime, which a lot of people assume. I admit it didn't have a lot of flaws but they were still there.

Jenthehen, quit your complaining. You seem to really nitpick every flaw that this anime had to offer. Even some of them that are so minor it shouldn't occur to you. Also I can't help but notice the hypocrisy in your comments. You accuse Clannad for being dramatic, as you would expect from Key, and as if Air and Kanon didn't have the same level of drama that pulled off from Clannad. Secondly, complaining about the anime being too loyal to the VN?? That is what makes it a bonus! And it wasn't 100% loyal to the VN as it didn't take out alternate routes, again same with Air and Kanon. I take it you've never even played it without knowing what the real theme is. It's not just about having a happy ending but also suffering the consequences.

As I also thought the Clannad movie's ending was far superior to After Story's, it did tray away from the original mateiral. Though I think that the one dream was an interesting twist to the Illusionary World.

Last edited by KazzieJay on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:19 am; edited 3 times in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
KazzieJay wrote:
Air had more flaws than Clannad did

Perhaps to someone who wasn't able to follow the story, but I personally think that's more on the side of the viewer than the show itself.
KazzieJay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
I did understand the story of Air. It just wasn't well explained because it didn't have enough episodes.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
It had plenty of episodes. There were only two side girls (Kano and Minagi) and then the main story arc (that of Kanna's tragic past and the curse that was put on her and her reincarnations, particularly Misuzu, and the trek of Yukito to put an end to Kanna's suffering). The story of Air is incredibly well written and well-paced, it's just up to the viewer to pay enough attention to capture it all.
KazzieJay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say Air is incredibly well written but it is very well written. All Key animes are. Kanon was well written too but I didn't like it as much as Clannad and Air. For one I thought it lacked romance, Yuichi and Ayu didn't have the bond that Tomoya and Nagisa/Yukito and Misuzu had, the story was somewhat confusing at times, the characters kept switching instead of being together and helping each other out and also because it had a few faults and is not perfect but unfortunately a lot of people only point them out in Clannad, Air and Angel Beats. Angel Beats was enjoyable too. I guess it does depend on the viewer but it does depend on the story as well and each to their own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8