• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: All 56 One Piece Books on Japan's Weekly Top 200 Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
Allen_ST wrote:
One Piece is really amazing,but I wonder why does it have more success in Japan than the rest of the world?.

I dunno about anywhere else, but in America, pirates aren't nearly as exotic as ninjas, and "exotic" is why a lot of people read manga and watch anime. And it's barely got a hope of attracting girls, partly because it's a boys' comic, but mostly because it's not about vampires. Dragon Ball Z has much more exposure here than the original Dragon Ball, which One Piece resembles more. Then there's 4kids, and probably a bunch of other stuff I'm neglecting to attribute properly. It does seem to be gaining popularity, though.

Where? It's not on tv and the manga sales can't compare with Naruto and Bleach in the U.S.

I'm sure s/he meant a reletivlly slow rise in popularity, with all this stuff going on Japan about it, more people are begging to think "Hm... maybe I should check it out, if it's that popular." For the time being you can't comapre it to NAruto and Bleach here in the states... but who knows maybe in a year or two things might be differnt.

On a releated note, my mom got a 4 year old cousin of mine a One Piece box set for Chirstmas... no really, his mom bought him some Inu-Yasha DVDs. So who knows... I might have a cousin who mgith become a fan.
Taker128

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
ChocoBar wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
Allen_ST wrote:
One Piece is really amazing,but I wonder why does it have more success in Japan than the rest of the world?.

I dunno about anywhere else, but in America, pirates aren't nearly as exotic as ninjas, and "exotic" is why a lot of people read manga and watch anime. And it's barely got a hope of attracting girls, partly because it's a boys' comic, but mostly because it's not about vampires. Dragon Ball Z has much more exposure here than the original Dragon Ball, which One Piece resembles more. Then there's 4kids, and probably a bunch of other stuff I'm neglecting to attribute properly. It does seem to be gaining popularity, though.

Where? It's not on tv and the manga sales can't compare with Naruto and Bleach in the U.S.

I'm sure s/he meant a reletivlly slow rise in popularity, with all this stuff going on Japan about it, more people are begging to think "Hm... maybe I should check it out, if it's that popular." For the time being you can't comapre it to NAruto and Bleach here in the states... but who knows maybe in a year or two things might be differnt.

On a releated note, my mom got a 4 year old cousin of mine a One Piece box set for Chirstmas... no really, his mom bought him some Inu-Yasha DVDs. So who knows... I might have a cousin who mgith become a fan.

Also, Amercia is really the only place in the world where OP is noticeablly less popular than Naruto and Bleach. From what I read, most European countries, especially manga-heavy ones like France and Italy, OP is more popluar, though not to the extend in Japan.

As for the East Asian Region where most manga/anime fans lives such as Korea, China, Hong Kong, Thiland, Taiwan, Singapore, etc. OP is enjoying just as much success there as in Japan since those countries pretty much follows Japan's lead in the trends, fashion, and pop culture.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Allen_ST wrote:

Theirs a couple of reasons

1. Online it tooks years for One Piece to become popular long after Bleach and Naruto
2. It's online fans primarly read shonen jump manga only, and don't buy manga. Compare this to the more general manga fan who reads manga from a variety of anthologies and those sell much better such as FMA, Negima, and Soul Eater.
3. 4Kids poor version dub it from replacing its online fans with fans who buy the thing which causes its sales to be noticeably lower than Bleach, Naruto, and Death Note.

Personally for me the one I blame the most is number 2, it's popular online, it's just popular with the wrong people.
sender

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I would say that the main reason was the terrible and disgraceful edition made by 4kids, it made think a lot of people that this series was literally "for-kids"... under 7 I suppose... If it wasn't because I read that it was a "bestseller" manga, on the internet probably i wouldn't have started to read it (neither watch the anime)[/quote]
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
What about Negima whose anime flat out sucks or Soul Eater whose anime has never been released anywhere except online? Their are clearly fans of One Piece, they just don't buy it.
Taker128

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Allen_ST wrote:

Theirs a couple of reasons

1. Online it tooks years for One Piece to become popular long after Bleach and Naruto
2. It's online fans primarly read shonen jump manga only, and don't buy manga. Compare this to the more general manga fan who reads manga from a variety of anthologies and those sell much better such as FMA, Negima, and Soul Eater.
3. 4Kids poor version dub it from replacing its online fans with fans who buy the thing which causes its sales to be noticeably lower than Bleach, Naruto, and Death Note.

Personally for me the one I blame the most is number 2, it's popular online, it's just popular with the wrong people.

To refute some points, again, ONLY IN U.S. is OP noticebaly less popular than Naruto and Bleach.

As far as I know, OP's poularity and sales are both ahead of the other two Shonen Jump titles. As for in East Asia Region where Manga/Anime is part of daily like, OP crushs both Naruto and Bleach in both sales and popularity.

- Point one is only valid if you mean apply only to U.S.
- Point two does not make sense as both Bleach and Naruto are Shonen Jump series. And all other series you mentioned are all shonen series. Also the reason why OP is more popular than any other series in Asia is because MORE GENERAL PUBLIC READS IT AND PURCHASE IT.

In fact, according earlier survey by Oricon, OP is ranked #1 in MALE DEMOGRAPHIC between 10-20, 21-30, and 31-40, 41-50

Now, the series you mentioned flauates between ranking, FMA is present in all four, so did Naruto. Nagima only made top 10 in men between 20-30, while Sould Eater only made it in age 10-19.

Though one interesting to note, both Bleach and Naruto were present in first three demographic area like FMA, but unlike FMA, Both ranked lower as demographic age surveyed goes up.

Made Naruto made a save in 41-50 demographic by improve from #8 spot in 31-40 demographic to #5 spot while Bleach did not rank in 41-50 demographic. Which means, in general, the older you are, the less you like both title and they are read and purchased by mostly kids in Japan.

Also interesting is that OP is also the only Shonen that is ranked in THREE OF FOUR FEMALE demographic as well, notching either 3 or 4 spot. And for people from U.S. who keep saying OP is for kids, well, the only female demographic in which OP did not get ranked on was the teenage girls [10-20].

This simply show that the misconception that OP is more appeal to kid in Japan is DEAD WRONG and Japanese and by extension, Asians, actually think Bleach, Naruto, D. Grayman, Soul Eater, etc are the more "KID" series.

Here's the link if anyone interested [A pretty good sites with tons of surveys and poll result news from Japan:

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/08/10/top-10-manga-of-2009-demographic-breakdown/
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
I am talking about only america where One Piece is only popular online and not in sales.
Taker128

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I am talking about only america where One Piece is only popular online and not in sales.

Sorry, I thought you are refering to the rest of the world outside of Japan, which is not true, because U.S. is really the only place OP haven't get it sale going until recently.
Lix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
All this success couldn't have happened to a more deserving series. Here's to a great second half.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2