• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Grave of the Fireflies' 25th Anniversary Theatrical Release Planned in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Hmm, this is going to be buried in back alley arts houses, isn't it? I can't see many uninitiated American audiences wanting to watch a cartoon that makes the US Air Force look like the bad guys during WW2. Also this is definitely [not] a "kids cartoon" so putting it under the umbrella of "GKids" is a bit dubious as well. This could end in tears just like the movie. Wink

A minor quibble, but the USAF didn't exist in WWII. I'm pretty sure those air raids into Japan were conducted by the US Army.
I don't think the citizens of Tokyo paid that much much attention to that at the time.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Hmm, this is going to be buried in back alley arts houses, isn't it? I can't see many uninitiated American audiences wanting to watch a cartoon that makes the US Air Force look like the bad guys during WW2. Also this is definitely [not] a "kids cartoon" so putting it under the umbrella of "GKids" is a bit dubious as well. This could end in tears just like the movie. Wink

A minor quibble, but the USAF didn't exist in WWII. I'm pretty sure those air raids into Japan were conducted by the US Army.
I don't think the citizens of Tokyo paid that much much attention to that at the time.

I'm sure they didn't, but we weren't talking about what they thought.

And if some Amercian tot sees this and wants to know why the US military was performing those raids, I hope there's an adult they can turn to who can explain it to them.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

I'm sure they didn't, but we weren't talking about what they thought.

And if some Amercian tot sees this and wants to know why the US military was performing those raids, I hope there's an adult they can turn to who can explain it to them.
It would be better if the "tot"wasn't there watching in the first place. Take the wee'un next door to watch Totoro instead. Wink
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Wait, why is there a new dub? Was there something wrong with the original one?

The audio quality wasn't good enough for bluray. The original masters of the English dub were lost and the only masters remaining could not be used for lossless audio.

The Sentai bluray still includes the original dub in 2.0, and their new dub in DTS-HD Master Audio.
Which makes my DVD SOOOO much golden now. Laughing
:

How does having a DVD with the same English audio as the bluray make it "golden"?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
How does having a DVD with the same English audio as the bluray make it "golden"?
Cause mine is the 2004 R2 release from Optimum Releasing, not ADV/Sentai.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:50 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Cause mine is the 2004 R2 release from Optimum Releasing, not ADV/Sentai.

Oh, I see. I didn't look at your location. I still don't see what difference the audio makes though.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
They better double-bill this with Totoro! Laughing

I'd love that! It gives you a better understanding of Japan's destruction and rebirth quite easily (if they play Totoro last of course).

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

It's a good think I took a class on WWII in high school and aced it.

Mohawk52 wrote:

GKids have already handled some pretty dicey titles so far, they're this generation's Janus Films for animation as far as I'm concerned.
bhl88

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
The lesson from GoTF is less of: "War is hell." and more of "Let's make sure this __________ (<- whatever you insert here) event doesn't happen again." <- they hate responsibility
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind seeing it on the big screen, if only because I enjoy the theater-going experience and I enjoy seeing anime on the big screen. As for the film itself, I'll just parrot Bennett the Sage's opinion: meant for kids of the 80s, finger-wagging, hyper sentimentalism. I also don't get sad as much as angry over the kid's pride, but maybe that was also an intent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2