• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Oklahoma Students to Be Disciplined for 'Death Note'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Pocky Monster wrote:
Faceman wrote:
Is it just me, or has anyone else stopped caring about things like this? People will always overreact about something. I've lost the drive to get worked up about it either way.

Same here. I'm getting tired of hearing about these incidents.

Welcome to my world, bitches.
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Good job copying dozens of kids' antics. Sheesh, don't our youth have creativity anymore? Very Happy
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quote
GloriousMaximus wrote:
Good job copying dozens of kids' antics. Sheesh, don't our youth have creativity anymore? Very Happy

Perhaps they don't read the news, like all the other brats. Talking about creativity, I wonder when is one of them going to try and create something similar to what Light did to his drawer.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Fallen Wings wrote:
Ah, Americans. Being terrified of everything for a few decades now.

I suppose the main issue is that, because everyone has access to guns, everyone is really scare at the potential for something else to go wrong. Down here in Aussie land, if someone has that and the teacher found it, the child would be sent off to the school counselor.

Well how many school-shootings has 'Aussie-land' had in the past decade or so? What's the statistics for kids murdering each other down there? Because its pretty high here in America-land. Just in my hometown a few years back, a 7th grader brought a gun to his school hidden in his jacket. Luckily one of his classmates knew about it and turned him in before he decided to use it.

tempest wrote:
Let's leave "thought police" to the religions (ie: coveting thy neighbors...) and keep civilized police enforcement limited to actions and incitement.

But isn't that what they did? I mean, these kids even listed how they would want those other kids to die, listed the weapons and everything. Sounds like something that crosses the Clear and Present Danger Rule to me. I've greatly disliked people when I was kid as well, but I never went that far; hell, I can't even think of any other kids I knew that went even that far, and I went to schools in rough neighborhoods my whole life.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Man...I remember the days when you actualy had to blow someone's head off before they thought you were crazy, now you can just write something down in a notebook and get 'disciplined'. I bet these administrative farts think they're 'hip' to the lingo and what kids are into these days. "Oh he's got a death note? NOT IN MY SCHOOL BROTHER! You're gonna have to flashstep your butt to the principal's office! Kids these days, it's all that damn Inu Yasha's fault I tell ya!"
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
What the hell is this sh*t?? Surprised they haven't busted any kids trying to kill people by drawing magical alchemy circles on the ground.

Tomibiki! Nice avatar. Ryusei is my favorite! Smile
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Surprised they haven't busted any kids trying to kill people by drawing magical alchemy circles on the ground.

Or trying to draw a "geass" on one of their eyeballs and try and command others to suicide. But they could also choose to skip the pain of drawing something on their eyes, and buy "geass" lens imported from Japan, or perhaps if you have it over there as well.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I think the school is being a bit unfairly panned here. It does seem silly to get kids on a "Death Note" but let's face it, this isn't Leave it to Beaver 1950's Sitcom reality we live in. School violence and recently enough Church violence seemingly to be escalating, let's face it, school administration is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Of course it's probably harmless child fantasizing but like I said it's the catch 22 (assuming I'm using the logic right).

I mean if something does happen "oh all the warning signs were there, they ignored them!" (Angry News Media)

"My child got killed and the school knew about the plan in these death note things, let's sue for 10 mill!" (Angry Parents)

And of course now we've got the people here who seem to think they're just being silly and overreacting.

Quote:
What the hell is this sh*t?? Surprised they haven't busted any kids trying to kill people by drawing magical alchemy circles on the ground.

Yeah because kids are so going to know how to do that! *roll eyes*
oriana3k

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I've got one of those Death Note replicas. I'm going to fill it with happy children's stories of fluffy kittens that learn how to overcome adversity through hard work and friendship. Just to be different.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The notebook has two pages with writing that referred to two other students: "Kill (student's name) by gun shotgunshell in her hand” and “(student's name) shot by a sniper.”

Elementary Schoolers!-- They probably had the ACME version of the death note where item #4 is different:

Quote:
If the cause of death is not specified, the person will simply die of a 400 lb. anvil falling on their head.

Get enough of those anvil deaths and you might attract the attention of Ultimate Detective "L" MacDuck. Razz

Sheesh, I never see news reports of kids getting expelled for having gang tatoos on their neck, but have a notebook that says "Death Note" on it? Expulsion + Police. --a little over-reactive IMO
Wetall

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I gotta be honest: What the hell are elementary school kids even doing reading/watching Death Note to begin with? Isn't it supposed to be rated ages 13 and up?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:
These kids can't just be let off the hook for wishing death upon someone and need to know it's not appropriate (especially for school). They'll probably never do it again and, if needed, get some help.

Then one can assume that you've never hated another human being, nor have one hated you. There's a huge difference between holding a knife and stabbing someone; but perhaps they should focus on something bigger and write a few politicians' names. Then we'd all agree on it, and the kids wouldn't get in trouble at all, rather, we would be praising them by now.

tempest wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:
These kids can't just be let off the hook for wishing death upon someone and need to know it's not appropriate (especially for school). They'll probably never do it again and, if needed, get some help.

I think it's perfectly natural for kids to wish for bad things to happen to people whom they dislike. And as long as they are able to control themselves and not inflict that harm themselves, then they are indeed acting pretty much the same way as most adults.

Let's leave "thought police" to the religions (ie: coveting thy neighbors...) and keep civilized police enforcement limited to actions and incitement.

-t

Totally not my point. Of course kids may wish for another person to get hurt. But to die? If a kid fantasizes about killing people in their head, there is nothing anyone can do. If they are writing down that people are getting killed after being bullied or getting into disagreements, then people can find the root of the cause. Not to mention things do happen--if something can be prevented, then it should be. Also...Maybe it's just me, but I never can wish death upon a person (with the exception of people like Hitler). I value individual life too much, even that of those who tore me up emotionally in my elementary. Or when someone bullied me and ended up hitting me, then lied and tried to blame me. I could only wish for them to see their wrongs, with karma never being physical or deeply emotional. Cheesy as that sounds, it's me.

It's quite possible that they don't realize the severity of death and what it means, of course. People have difficulty being able to understand the feelings death brings if they have never experienced it, and with murder/violence has become almost the norm in these times (especially in Death Note, where Light is glorified to an extent, which might make the message of the series confusing for younger kids). It's more likely that there are no emotional ties to death, and their immaturity contributed to the act. I'm not saying that these kids are killers and the police probably didn't need to be involved, but at the same time, it's a school policy and, in the small chance that something was bound to happen, it could prevent death.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:28 pm Reply with quote
When I was growing up, my parents, my teachers, everyone around me, while I going through the public educational system in the United States, kept telling me that comic books were make believe ... fantasy. Nothing that ever appeared in them actually happened in real life.

I think these school administrators and teachers need to take a reality pill. For one thing, if a comic book gives a student an idea, like writing someone's name in a "death book." So bloody what? Who cares? Nothing will ever come from it.

Personally, I think every student in every elementary school, middle school and high school across the country should put together a "death notebook," white everyone's name in it that they possibly can and go to school with it.

I think that if this happened, that it would definitely wake up school administrators and force them to realize that it's just a harmless way for students to vent their frustration over something. While these officials are busy worrying about these "death notebooks," the quiet, depressed and shy students are busy piecing together their plans for the next bloodshed incident on school grounds.

I think I'm going to post an editorial about this on my site. Because this is really ridiculous for these school officials to be wasting time on something as ridiculous as this.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Up until high school, I wrote dark poetry and drew pictures of people getting decapitated and cartoonish bombs all over the place in any art project. I call it my Rob Liefeld (or maybe Frank Miller) period.

Death Note wasn't out back then, but I did have an enemies list. I thought it was pretty funny when I heard Richard Nixon had once had one, so I thought I'd make one, too, mostly for the fun of it, but also to vent frustrations with certain people.

Needless to say, I was called into a guidance councilor at school and told that I was creeping people out. I stopped writing for a while.

I guess it's not the type of thing you ought to fool around with in this current climate, but kids can't be expected to be that savvy. You certainly won't help anything by attacking the symptom instead of the problem. If somebody is making a list like that, there might be something wrong with the environment, not them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, of course there is a problem. School officials allow bullies to continue abusing their own students and these students are just venting some frustration.

Personally, I think instead of suspending of disciplining these students that they need to address the problem of their own students being harassed by other students.

After all, it's not these students they should be worried about. It's the student who is talking, who is depressed, that is going to be the problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4