• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Confirms Strike Witches Cast, FMA Street Date

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Would also be nice if they'd pick up some sequel titles like Shana and Hell Girl, as well as the remaining Hellsing OAVs, they're really leaving us hanging on these.
Funny you should mention Shana and Hellsing. During the con feed, both were mentioned when they were addressing the "will you license X series/sequel" question that they obviously get a lot.

They were giving the usual "can't confirm nothing till the ink's dry" line but there was also a mention of the profitability issues with sequels that contextually lead me to think both series are on their want list. (Which would be odd since I got the impression Shana's sales were poor.)

They actually said something to the effect that most of what fans were asking for sequel wise they thought would be profitable. (No idea if that would inlcude Hell Girl but I'd like to think it does.)

The bit at the end where they brought up Sailor Moon was. . . also interesting.

vulcanraven01 wrote:
I'm greatful for all the stuff they bring over to us, but let's be honest, they release TOO much stuff and these days anime fans have less money to spend than ever before, so it's only going to hurt them in the long run. I'd hate to see a similiar case to ADV where they get carried away at the peak of their success and end up digging themselves a grave...
They make their money partially as a result of releasing a lot of series though and unlike ADV they have more consistently big sellers. Not to mention surprise hits, like with Kenichi. And there's always the DBZ powerhouse.

I know we're all worried about the economy (rightfully so given the trends) but licensing too many shows won't cause the death of Funimation. Actually, the most likely cause of their death would be putting too much money into their co-production plans and then losing it all. That isn't likely to happen given that they are looking to spread the risk by getting partners and because Gen Fukunaga isn't stupid.

And I for one am totally psyched for the Strike Witches English dub! The trailer is silly, I like the old propaganda feel, but this cast just looks great. There are a few concerns but they've got a lot of A list talent there. Kira Vincent-Davis and Stephanie Sheh?

Can you say awesome? Can't wait to own this one.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:
I just am not looking forward to the obnoxious subtitle font / size / color. I like the way Sentai does / geneon did them. /Shrug.
So small white subs with black borders are "obnoxious" now, too? Boy, the companies just can't win.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:
I see Dragonball Kai being an announcement.

If they do, I hope they give the fans a dub worth listening to.

DBZ already has a dub worth listening to.

No, it has a horribly inaccurate, poorly acted one. What it needs is a faithful dub with a good script and better voices. As it is, the dubbed version available is essentially a different program that what is intended.

You're incredibly delusional if you think that dub is an accurate representation of Dragon Ball Z. Maybe next you'll tell me that Robotech has a good Macross dub or that 4Kids dubbed One Piece well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nagato316

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

And I for one am totally psyched for the Strike Witches English dub! The trailer is silly, I like the old propaganda feel...

As do I. That vintage WWII era training film look strikes a perfect parodic tone for this promo clip. I really needed a good laugh today, so this trailer more than did the job. Very Happy

Richard J. wrote:

, but this cast just looks great.
There are a few concerns but they've got a lot of A list talent there. Kira Vincent-Davis and Stephanie Sheh?

Can you say awesome? Can't wait to own this one.

*clearing throat* AWE--SOME! If anything, I'm surprised KVD hadn't already been cast in other works recently or about to be released by Funi prior to this, what with both Funi and the former ADV Films being in Austin(?), Texas and Kira being a regular contributor to ADV's dubs. So it's great to know we'll be hearing her again...loved her Osaka. And her Ruri Hoshino. And way too many roles to remember and list...

And yes, seeing a prominent (and now apparently former) West Coast VA hooking up with Funi...that's just more win right there.

joystick1101 wrote:
c'mon...toradora, ...k-on and rosario+vampire.

Yes, please! to all the above. And FWIW, if Miss Sheh's migration is any indication, I may yet be able to hear my girl Kari Wahlgren as Taiga and/or Mio Akiyama in the future, i hope i hope i hope...
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Would be awesome if they did license all Shakugan no Shana and The Familiar of Zero (Zero no Tsukaima). Would be cool if it was also for Toradora and K-ON!.

I'm glad they announced the date of FMA: Brotherhood, Darker Than Black, and Strike Witches.
joystick1101

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And yes, seeing a prominent (and now apparently former) West Coast VA hooking up with Funi...that's just more win right there.

don't assume former, johny yong bosch was in beck. besides I think they have ways to record some1 out of state, ie laura bailey moved to cali but is still in funi dubs and I doubt she flies back and forth.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
And Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
VanGosroth wrote:
I just am not looking forward to the obnoxious subtitle font / size / color. I like the way Sentai does / geneon did them. /Shrug.
So small white subs with black borders are "obnoxious" now, too? Boy, the companies just can't win.

The white subs have ALWAYS been bad. Maybe my eyesight is going but I find it much easier to read the yellow subs.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:

No, it has a horribly inaccurate, poorly acted one. What it needs is a faithful dub with a good script and better voices. As it is, the dubbed version available is essentially a different program that what is intended.

You're incredibly delusional if you think that dub is an accurate representation of Dragon Ball Z. Maybe next you'll tell me that Robotech has a good Macross dub or that 4Kids dubbed One Piece well.

Maybe they should hire a 6-year-old girl to voice Goku would that be an accurate representation then? Robotech did have a good dub. And despite a crappy script and horrible editing a lot of the voices in the 4kids dubbed One Piece was done really well espeically Zolo's. You must also really despise the Yu Yu Hakusho dub since it pretty much changed the entire script from the original.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:

Seriously!?!?!?!? I mean Goku in the sub sound like a Constipated 7 year old girl, I'm bleeding from the ears just listening to it. I can't believe you like the Japanese voices better.
Also, if the dub sucked then people would have never watched it. I personally wanted to watch DBZ for it's english dub. Goku's voice actor was epic and fit the character perfectly, and Vegita's voice actor was born to voice him. Also, kid Gohan's voice actor was really good in the Cell Arc.
I have no idea why you hate it but face the facts that the dub far surpasses the Sub in quality. Also, when a company dubs a show they don't just translate the words being said, they also translate the humor and situations and if need be they will change the script so that the receptive audience can understand the plot, humor or whatever better.

Most people don't even know that DBZ is a Japanese show and that it was dubbed into english. I for one didn't know and I watch Dragon Ball Z way before I got into anime.

Also, I've been reading this forum and I still can't believe that no one wish for Kenichi Season 2 (episode 26 - 50) be announced. For me that is the first news I want to hear. Also, I'm still waiting on news of My Bride is a Mermaid, that show will be epic. Saw it subbed and can't wait for the dub. Anime hyper

BTW, I second the montion for seeing more Shkugan no Shana, and The Familiar of Zero. If Funimation doesn't act fast then Media Blasters might steal those titles and put a differant dub cast in it like they did with Ikkitousen: Dragon Destiny. Sad
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I have a question on Stephanie SHEH, if she did in fact move to Texas and is now working with FUnimatinion, doesn't that mean that the new release of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzmiya and the movie aren't going to be dubbed, or at the very least will not have the same dub cast?

This could also, mean that she is just in Strike witch and didn't transfer to work with Funimation?

Please correct me if I'm wrong...... Also, if you didn't know Stephanie SHEH voices Mikaru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzamiya,
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:

Maybe they should hire a 6-year-old girl to voice Goku would that be an accurate representation then.

More accurate than Sean Schemmel, at least.

Rinkwolf wrote:

Seriously!?!?!?!? I mean Goku in the sub sound like a Constipated 7 year old girl, I'm bleeding from the ears just listening to it. I can't believe you like the Japanese voices better.
Also, if the dub sucked then people would have never watched it. I personally wanted to watch DBZ for it's english dub. Goku's voice actor was epic and fit the character perfectly, and Vegita's voice actor was born to voice him. Also, kid Gohan's voice actor was really good in the Cell Arc.
I have no idea why you hate it but face the facts that the dub far surpasses the Sub in quality. Also, when a company dubs a show they don't just translate the words being said, they also translate the humor and situations and if need be they will change the script so that the receptive audience can understand the plot, humor or whatever better.

Most people don't even know that DBZ is a Japanese show and that it was dubbed into english. I for one didn't know and I watch Dragon Ball Z way before I got into anime.

You're living in an incredibly closed off bubble if you think the majority of the anime fan community takes the DBZ dub seriously. It skews the characters differently than Toriyama intended them (moreso than the anime does in general) and often completely changes the context and tone of scenes.

Look, it's fine, you like the American DBZ. But it's a different show. As an English dub for the Japanese DBZ, it's a very poor product. Nobody would put up with this level of failure for any other show, but DBZ gets a pass purely out of nostalgia.

In Japanese, Goku has the same voice as when he was a child because he is a pure-hearted child even as an adult. This makes him a colorful, fun personality, allowing him to react to each new situation as something more exciting and challenging, as if he were a kid. Nozawa is a perfect Goku because her Goku is boundless with character, with texture. She delivers every line with an earnest charm. Toriyama himself chose her.

Is it necessary for him to have a woman's voice? No, of course not. A good male English voice would suit him just as well. But so far, all they've gotten are men who sound like generic white knight superheroes.

Most viewers of DBZ figured this out about a decade ago. But that's besides the point. You can't base your liking or disliking of a dub based on a single voice.

It's fact that the script for the dub is terribly inaccurate, so voices aside, it's a poor dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
And Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei!!!!!

Yes.............. Yes, is the only thing I can say to that. Smile

But, I don't see it happening because it is heavy on Japanese references that would make it almost impossible to translate so that new comers to anime could understand. Such, as how to right the teachers name and if you write it a certain way it will spell out Despair. loL Very Happy But we can all dream now can't we. Smile

But all in all you probably will see Senital Films getting this one and releasing it Sub only.......... YAY (that is sacrum for those of you are to dense to notice that it is)
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's fact that the script for the dub is terribly inaccurate, so voices aside, it's a poor dub.

Who cares if the script is inaccurate. The Yu Yu Hakusho dub script was inaccurate from the original, it was an entirely different script and the show was better for it. And I can't believe there are people out there that can even take the subbed version of DBZ seriously , the voices are just ridiculous. Every moment seems like a joke.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
Quote:

Who cares if the script is inaccurate.

People with standards.

Quote:
The Yu Yu Hakusho dub script was inaccurate from the original, it was an entirely different script and the show was better for it.

They take far less liberties with YYH than with DBZ.

Quote:
And I can't believe there are people out there that can even take the subbed version of DBZ seriously , the voices are just ridiculous. Every moment seems like a joke.

Most people who are fans of the show take that track seriously. The voices are natural voices for the characters' personalities, not some over-the-top cartoonish bullshit like in the English dub.

What's a joke is how that horrendous dub still has fans. It's basically calling you stupid, and you're agreeing with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6