• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Confirms Strike Witches Cast, FMA Street Date

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
if the dub sucked then people would have never watched it.
It was shopped around for years. Long, long before it ever went to CN. During the early nineties.

Rinkwolf wrote:
I personally wanted to watch DBZ for it's english dub. Goku's voice actor was epic and fit the character perfectly, and Vegita's voice actor was born to voice him.
Which dub era? The Canadian one, or when Funimation took over and redubbed it? Vegeta's Ocean group dub is still to this day my favorite, but it's far from accurate.

Rinkwolf wrote:
Also, kid Gohan's voice actor was really good in the Cell Arc.
What penguin was comparing that to was the multiple dubs. The gag dubs and redubs. This is all long before the Cell arc.

Rinkwolf wrote:
I have no idea why you hate it but face the facts that the dub far surpasses the Sub in quality.
Facts? I have DBZ in Japanese, Cantonese, Spanish, French and English. You going to whip out something as foolish as "fact", you better have come equip with more than just a few viewing of the edited English T.V. version. Laughing

If you would have actually watched the Sub you would have realized how silly you're being. The Dub and The Sub are completely different stories. The Sub = The Japanese one (the one closest to the manga) gets dead serious sometimes. You will not find anything like "Over 9000" , "Your father was a brilliant scientist" , "We're just a couple of wild and crazy space explorers" or "Home For Infinite Losers" in the original script. Hence the Joke dub comment.

Rinkwolf wrote:
Also, when a company dubs a show they don't just translate the words being said, they also translate the humor and situations and if need be they will change the script so that the receptive audience can understand the plot, humor or whatever better.
If that was true, why has no one shown me that they understand the hilarious meanings of all the characters names, besides those who speak the language.

The dub is a poor, quick localization for T.V. viewing. Nothing more than babysitting material, which is essentially what it became. Very Happy

Rinkwolf wrote:
Most people don't even know that DBZ is a Japanese show and that it was dubbed into english. I for one didn't know and I watch Dragon Ball Z way before I got into anime
Ah. My bad. You are too young to have experienced the Dragonball phenomon the first couple times around before it landed in the US.

Hannish Lightning wrote:
Guess what? He is in the majority. Nearly everyone thinks the Japanese dubbed DBZ is a joke only a small fraction of fans even like it.
It was dubbed in several other languages long before the English speaking types got a hold of it. The original language it was created in is always going to be more collectible or desired before that gag dub from Canada or rehash from Funi was released.

What about when Funimation first came out. Back when they used to replace the soundtrack with alternative rock like the Deftones. Shit, If you think that's the majority, you are in denial. Or maybe you guys don't know ( or more likely don't care) that DBZ came out in multiple languages, long before our English gag dub ever came out.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:07 am Reply with quote
The funny thing is, for a while I was of the same, "Why is Goku voiced by a woman? I prefer the English cast and the rock music!" mentality. That's before I found DBZ Uncensored, VegettoEX's page (which is now Daizenshuu EX, Planet Namek, Big Bang Attack, and others.

I owe folks like Mike LaBrie, Chris Psaros, SkullMac, Mr. E, Castor Troy, and the like to my developing a taste in not just DBZ, but in later anime, because through respecting what DBZ is (which sounds funny, since it's not really an anime I admire that much in the big picture), I learned to respect what anime is. It's what helped me define most of my early standards for what is and is not acceptable for a licensor to do to their properties.

Those guys helped me become the anime fan I am today just as much as ANN or 4chan. It may seem like a lot of sucking up, but it's the truth.

That's why it's so frustrating when I find folks who still cling so fervently to the English dub of the show. I wonder where those people were during the heyday of those websites.

Anyway, the whole subject has tired me out, so I'll bow out for the time being. I thought I had enough of this back when I reviewed the first Dragon Box. I keep getting drawn in due to a lack of anything better to do.

It looks like the DBZ fandom can still surprise me. It's sort of amusing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
I wasn't gonna say anything but I think I will.

The people saying that the Japanese Dragonball Z is better than FUNimation's Dragonball Z needs to go see a doctor seriously. The FUNimation voice acting was a billion times better and the BGM was a trillion times better Japanese Dragonball fails. The only reason I am not buying the Dragonbox is because they don't have the FUNimation English Music track (BGM) with out that Dragonball Z is not worth it.

Anyway............. SAYONARA ZETSUBOU SENSEI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
Since the article doesn't even mention Dragonball, is there any chance you could restart this debate in another thread where I can avoid it rather than continuing to pollute this one?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The funny thing is, for a while I was of the same, "Why is Goku voiced by a woman? I prefer the English cast and the rock music!" mentality. That's before I found DBZ Uncensored, VegettoEX's page (which is now Daizenshuu EX, Planet Namek, Big Bang Attack, and others.

You mean the same VegettoEX who years ago didn't know who played Bulma in the second Dragon Ball movie dub until i started sending e-mails for their first podcast episodes? Rolling Eyes

On a serious note, wise choice going there as it is reliable (even when the forums can get out of control).

Quote:
That's why it's so frustrating when I find folks who still cling so fervently to the English dub of the show. I wonder where those people were during the heyday of those websites.

Considering that you were once just like them as you just admitted you're no longer in any position to try to convince them otherwise.
Mr. Anobe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
...Jeezz, feels like I've entered into another round of Sub vs. Dub talks over this announcement.

Anyways, to bring back into another subject, the future licenses...

I think they would get these: Kiddy Girl, Dragonball Kai, Hell Girl Sequel(s), xxxHolic OVA?, more Geneon rescues including (a possibility) Trigun and others that were suggested in the posts but felt lazy to post it.

The reason I said Trigun is because of JYB's role in Beck, and the release of the new movie coming out soon in Japan. Perfect timing?..maybe so, but that's up in the air.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:
I see Dragonball Kai being an announcement.

If they do, I hope they give the fans a dub worth listening to.

DBZ already has a dub worth listening to.

No, it has a horribly inaccurate, poorly acted one. What it needs is a faithful dub with a good script and better voices. As it is, the dubbed version available is essentially a different program that what is intended.

You're incredibly delusional if you think that dub is an accurate representation of Dragon Ball Z. Maybe next you'll tell me that Robotech has a good Macross dub or that 4Kids dubbed One Piece well.

But how are we going to get Mike Tyson to voice Goku?

Just because the english dub doesn't sound like the Japanese version doesn't make it awful.

For example the english voice of Genma from Ranma 1/2 is a 100 times better because the human ear can actually listen to it. The Japanese version went with a high pitched voice that grated on the ears, while the english version had a low pitch voice that was much more versatile.

Plus Masako's Son Goku is easily the most overrated voice I have ever seen. In the mid 90's she still sounded like an old lady, her recent attempts where so god awful that I couldn't stand 2 minutes of her. Cloverway's Sailor Moon dub is more listenable than that special.

penguintruth wrote:

Planet Namek

I remember DBZOA, they refused to spell Vegeta, and Trunks correctly. They would also do stuff like buy the Dragonbox even though they didn't actually know Japanese. They also had a crazy theory that 4kids and Funimation would team up to liscense Naruto.

'Also I remember how they constantyl said that Dragonball Z was made for adults, and in the original version everyone cussed.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
`Also I remember how they constantyl said that Dragonball Z was made for adults, and in the original version everyone cussed.

Sounds like they were big fans of the Anime Labs fansubs. Laughing
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I think a lot of them did know some japanese, but most of them did watch subs. I am just going to say that I am sick and tired of hearing how much better the sub version of DBZ was than the dub when the original was drawn out, cheaply made, and took almost no risk.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty excited for Initial D's release. It hasn't been solicited yet for March but if it was pushed back I can wait.
mrgetalife

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote
Hopefully Strike Witches is done better than that promo clip. They tried to make it way too light hearted.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't expecting much from it, but ended up importing the DVDs. It isn't high brow; while the story is there is takes something of a back seat to the "LOL mecha musume/Look no pants!/Random kemonomimi" aspects, but it is still enjoyable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I look forward to watching both the English Dub(s) of Fullmetal Alchemist 2: Brotherhood and Strike Witches Smile!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6