• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-12-18]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:27 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

It's not just as easy to have a male do the voice of an effeminate male. One excuse I've heard is there are way more female VA's out there. If the acting slides into romantic scenes surely it's easier for a male/female team to pull it off than 2 guys, although yaoi often employs male actors for such roles because that's what the audience usually wants. Yeah, there's the unfortunate times when the actress doesn't even try to sound masculine that reek, but the ones that work are good. It's really a matter of voice tone. If the character can pass for a chick in looks, particularly if gender confusion is part of the role, casting a guy doesn't always work. spoiler[In Fushigi Yugi Nuriko is a crossdresser & the revelation he's a guy is a surprise]. This wouldn't work as well with a male VA.

I get the impression that having women play men works better in Japanese than in English. I don't know if it's the vocal range of Japanese or what, but it's not as obvious as when they try it in English. It's fairly typical for women to play some of the men in Japanese (e.g. Kenshin in Rurouni Kenshin was played by a woman in Japanese even though he is most definitely a man). But it's quite rare in English.

Take Glass Fleet for example. The main character is played by a female VA in both languages, and yet the character is male. It causes a great deal of confusion in English, and was probably not as confusing in Japanese. When spoiler[you finally find out that the main character is in fact a woman impersonating her brother], in English, it just makes it so that things spoiler[suddenly make sense (since you basically never have women playing men in English)], while in Japanese it was probably spoiler[a big revelation] as opposed to spoiler[simply alleviating your confusion]. As I understand it, there was speculation online that spoiler[the character was really a woman], but you just don't get the same level of confusion with Japanese that you get with English when a woman plays a man.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:48 am Reply with quote
21stcenturydigitalboy wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
You do know that Rurouni Kenshin (or what you call Samurai X) is a shonen series right? It's not seinen.

Nobody would deny that the Rurouni Kenshin TV series is a shonen series. However, I think it's pretty clear upon watching Samurai X (the North American name for the Kenshin OVA) that it is intended for more of a seinen audience.

I think it's somewhat difficult to talk about 'intent' when getting into demographics. Most people would probably think that Death Note was aimed at adults, and yet it too was published in Shounen Jump. It's also not as easy to put anime into demographics as it is manga. Whereas a manga could be said 'it's published in x magazine so it's shounen/seinen' for anime, and especially an OVA specific to a series, it's much safer to say 'it's aimed at fans of the series.'

That said, I think it's accurate to say that Tsuiokuhen (or Samurai X) would be for an older audience, becasue by the time it came out, most of the kids who had seen/read kenshin when it was airing/being published would have been in their late teens/early twenties.

But here's the thing does that automatically make it a better series?

Does the average person really think reflections is a better ending than the original manga ending? A lof of times people confuse people dying with art. Samurai X does, Code Geass does, as did pretty much a ton of OVAs in the 80's did as well.

Which reminds me, you want Seinan theirs a ton of them released in the 80's and early 90's like Mad Bull 34, Angel Cop (the one that has the evil jews running the USA trying to destroy Japan for no apparent reason), and M.D Geist.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I was unimpressed with Read or Die.
It's called acting. An actor can't portray a 90 yr old unless s/he's 90? Can't portray a homosexual unless the actor is homosexual? My daughter can do an incredible baby cry & she's well past that age

I'm not saying that characters should be played by actors who fit their mold, otherwise it'd be hard to watch any form of entertainment with actors/actresses lol, I very much enjoyed the portrayal of the teenage characters by 20/30-something actors in Red Garden or Big Windup. I was just saying that I'd like for more young actors to be used because it just helps with the realism factor or naturalistic feel for me anyway, I don't hate these actors voicing younger characters, I just like a sense of realism now and then. It's hard to bring out the awkward tone of young voices too.

Prede wrote:
Wow more Steven Foster complaints? Will that ever die will it Rolling Eyes ? Look the guy has directed some truly amazing dubs,

I entirely agree, while he was way to liberal at first, I have to agree his newer dubs were fantastic. He made me prefer the English track for Red Garden which I thought would be impossible since I was in love with the Japanese voices. The way he brings out the natural yet raw and powerful voices from the actors really makes me enjoy his titles. He did an impressive job for Le Chevalier as well, he really knows how to cast.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:36 am Reply with quote
animeboy12 wrote:
IMO when I look at the Rurouni Kenshin franchise (i.e manga, tv series, ova) it always seem like it skewed towards the younger Japanese audience with the OVA as something made for fans the grew up with the manga.

I never disagreed with any of this. I'm a little confused as to what point you're trying to make here.

Charred Knight wrote:
Does the average person really think reflections is a better ending than the original manga ending? A lof of times people confuse people dying with art. Samurai X does, Code Geass does, as did pretty much a ton of OVAs in the 80's did as well.

Don't know about Reflections but Trust & Betrayal is fantastic. It's much better than the TV series (which is pretty good to begin with).

Quote:
Which reminds me, you want Seinan theirs a ton of them released in the 80's and early 90's like Mad Bull 34, Angel Cop (the one that has the evil jews running the USA trying to destroy Japan for no apparent reason), and M.D Geist.

Oh come on. That's such a blatantly flawed comparison. Clearly every genre has plenty of examples of failures. It's much more meaningful to look at the successes. Also from that era there was Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Ninja Scroll. Show me a shonen series nearly as good as those. I this is why I too would love to see more seinen and less shonen. In my experience the latter is on average not nearly as good.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Oh come on. That's such a blatantly flawed comparison. Clearly every genre has plenty of examples of failures. It's much more meaningful to look at the successes. Also from that era there was Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Ninja Scroll. Show me a shonen series nearly as good as those. I this is why I too would love to see more seinen and less shonen. In my experience the latter is on average not nearly as good.

Right off the top of my head

Rurouni Kenshin, GTO, Negima, Fullmetal Alchemist, One Piece, Dragonball, Soul Eater, and Slam Dunk.
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:57 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
21stcenturydigitalboy wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
You do know that Rurouni Kenshin (or what you call Samurai X) is a shonen series right? It's not seinen.

Nobody would deny that the Rurouni Kenshin TV series is a shonen series. However, I think it's pretty clear upon watching Samurai X (the North American name for the Kenshin OVA) that it is intended for more of a seinen audience.

I think it's somewhat difficult to talk about 'intent' when getting into demographics. Most people would probably think that Death Note was aimed at adults, and yet it too was published in Shounen Jump. It's also not as easy to put anime into demographics as it is manga. Whereas a manga could be said 'it's published in x magazine so it's shounen/seinen' for anime, and especially an OVA specific to a series, it's much safer to say 'it's aimed at fans of the series.'

That said, I think it's accurate to say that Tsuiokuhen (or Samurai X) would be for an older audience, becasue by the time it came out, most of the kids who had seen/read kenshin when it was airing/being published would have been in their late teens/early twenties.

But here's the thing does that automatically make it a better series?

I didn't say anything about the quality, man. I love shounen. Gintama is probably my favorite anime of all time, and my favorites list is littered with the likes of Eureka Seven, Gurren Lagann, and other clockshows. I even love the Bleach manga.

Whoever thinks seinen manga are automatically more brainy hasn't read their fair share (Let's give them some Golgo 13 and Space Adventure Cobra and see how intelligent they think it is~ not that it isn't also TOTALLY AWESOME) Demographics mean nothing - quality is what you make of it, and there are plenty of high quality works in every demographic. Shounen has series like Hajime no Ippo or Slama Dunk, Seinen has series like Black Lagoon or Vagabond (i believe is seinen, not sure), Shoujo has series like Shugo Chara! and Kaleido Star, and Josei has Honey and Clover and Nana. I could go on all day, of course.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:25 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Rurouni Kenshin, GTO, Negima, Fullmetal Alchemist, One Piece, Dragonball, Soul Eater, and Slam Dunk.

Okay, I already addressed Kenshin. FMA is probably the pinnacle of shonen and I'd agree it's a good series (although I wouldn't say it's better than those others I mentioned). It's more the exception rather than the rule though in any case and as I said, I'm talking about which group is generally superior. As for the rest...well look man. It's pretty evident we have vastly differing opinions as to what constitutes a good series. (I mean Negima? Seriously? The others are maybe decent but Negima?) I really don't agree that any of these titles can be said to be superior to the ones I mentioned and that's just a couple titles from the specific time frame we were talking about. Anyway, unfortunately there's no real way of really debating this issue much further without spiraling into dozens of separate discussions about dozens of different series. So I guess we'll just have to disagree. If you think I'm wrong about seinen generally being better then by all means disagree with the notion that it would be good to see more of it made. There really isn't much more to say though.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Negima has an excellent plot, and is very good at making the enemies have motive that makes sense. If you don't let the fanservice distract you its one of the best shonens I have seen.
AJMkarate717

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
While I can understand some of the criticism offered, I must disagree with Mari's regarding Vic Mignogna. Sure, you can dislike his voice, but to say he is a bad voice actor because he does not change his voice significantly for his roles is a bit of a stretch.

The prominent word in "voice actor" is actor. I would consider Vic a good actor - his performance as Edward Elric, aside from being extremely popular, was also one of the best in dub history. I believe he won an award for it. And, as far as I've seen, he's never disappointed in any of his other rolls. So what if Tamaki sounds like Ed, who sounds a bit like Dark? Many other prominent voice actors - Johnny Yong Bosch, Yuri Lowenthal, Steve Prince, Crispin Freeman, etc. - do not change their voices all that much. However, they are good actors, and that is what really matters.
Prede

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:

I entirely agree, while he was way to liberal at first, I have to agree his newer dubs were fantastic. He made me prefer the English track for Red Garden which I thought would be impossible since I was in love with the Japanese voices. The way he brings out the natural yet raw and powerful voices from the actors really makes me enjoy his titles. He did an impressive job for Le Chevalier as well, he really knows how to cast.

Ah...I'm glad there are others who see what I mean. His older stuff my be a little liberal, but it;s not really fair to hold that against the guy here. Besides I'll take a liberal dub, that's well acted, over a dub that sticks to the Japanese script as close as possible, and sounds stiff and boring in comparison.

As for Seinen vs Shounen...well there's a lot of good in both. Still I find on the large seinen series to be more refined, have better stories, and are less cliche. But there's tons of good shounen stuff out there, but more then enough that really get's on my nerves. Seinen has some crap, but on the large I find it more to my tastes then shounen stuff. And from what I've seen of Mad Bull 34 ( a random clip), well...that's an interesting show! I'd like to watch that one. And I'm not sure you can count MD Geist as Seinen, can you? It's not based on a manga (although there is an american comic book put out by CPM). Doesn't a show have to be based on a manga most of the time to call it seinen or shounen? I mean I call stuff seinen when it's clearly aimed at adult males even though it's not based on a manga, but I always thought that was kind of wrong, because it's all about what magazine the manga ran in. That's where the terms come from in the first place. But yes the demographic alone does not change the quality of the series. Not one bit. But you also cannot ignore that there's still , on the average, higher quality manga and anime on the seinen side of things, then the shounen.

Last edited by Prede on Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
animeboy12

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Okay, I already addressed Kenshin. FMA is probably the pinnacle of shonen and I'd agree it's a good series (although I wouldn't say it's better than those others I mentioned). It's more the exception rather than the rule though in any case and as I said, I'm talking about which group is generally superior. As for the rest...well look man. It's pretty evident we have vastly differing opinions as to what constitutes a good series. (I mean Negima? Seriously? The others are maybe decent but Negima?) I really don't agree that any of these titles can be said to be superior to the ones I mentioned and that's just a couple titles from the specific time frame we were talking about. Anyway, unfortunately there's no real way of really debating this issue much further without spiraling into dozens of separate discussions about dozens of different series. So I guess we'll just have to disagree. If you think I'm wrong about seinen generally being better then by all means disagree with the notion that it would be good to see more of it made. There really isn't much more to say though.

So your agreeing to disagree yet still trying to force someone to agree with your point Confused

Anyway, despite that fact that I don't think senien is better generally better than shonen I be greater with more of EVERYTHING including senien.

also regard the article (Withblade mediocre? Crying or Very sad can't win em all I suppose)
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
This might be a very unpopular opinion but I certainly wouldn't want Disney or even Pixar influencing Studio Ghibli.

Agreed. I don't know where the concept comes from that Westernizing anime is a good thing other than a sort of cultural imperialism, wanting to influence and take credit for animation made outside the U.S. If you put these two studios together, you'll get Ghibli watered down to political correctness and the standard Disney formula. Every time I've read scholarly works contemplating the appeal of anime outside Japan, that author concluded in one way or another that it was "because of the Japanese story elements". Every time I read or listen to accounts from early fans, I hear the same thing. From the little I've read about it, a big part of Gonzo's demise was their attempt to directly appeal to Western audiences. As soon as they dropped that and did Strike Witches, they had their biggest seller in history.

I'm not a purist of some sort, just also was attracted to anime because it isn't telling the same old Western stories with the same plots and moral beliefs and tropes since Ovid. The Japanese combination of animism and Eastern religion, their social and cultural traditions, plus their own library of history and myth, and often layered with the U.S. occupation and cultural import influence, provides a new and unique entertainment experience. I love it when they thumb their noses at Western beliefs and current social strictures. Nobue smoking in Strawberry Marshmallow is a key character trait, but would never be allowed in a U.S.-financed show, period, because of pure politics, damn the art. Don't even mention xxxHolic, which was politically vilified on this very site in the first review. Believe me, the end of my anime career will come when Hollywood begins writing its stories.

If Westerners want to create and produce stories and have them animated in Japan, fine. It helps pay the bills. Just don't call it anime if anyone outside Japan has any creative control whatsoever.

seryass wrote:
The problem I have is when women play older male characters... we have Yuki Souma in Fruits Basket.

I watch subs almost exclusively, though a few dubs that I heard first are still okay (e.g. Bebop). Fruits Basket is the one Japanese/sub that I cannot watch because Yuki sounds purely female. If I don't see the character, I cannot even imagine him as male. (I have turned on subs once through, however, since the script is so localized as to change meaning.)

Otherwise, I agree this practice produces better results in Japanese. We also have to realize how much more a Japanese voice actor works than do U.S. voice actors. The pool of potential voices is much larger due to far more opportunity for employment, resulting in more talent floating to the top, and those actors get far more experience.

I defend Rie Kugumiya because I believe she has incredible range. She gets a lot of grief for her tsundere roles. She practically owns that character type. But if you look at her ANN page, you might would be surprised. She works a lot, and in many roles she wasn't recognizable to my ears (granted, not the greatest) until I looked at the credits.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
animeboy12 wrote:
So your agreeing to disagree yet still trying to force someone to agree with your point Confused

Nonsense. Declaring the other side should stop trying to force their views on people in a debate in which you've proven just as eager to take part is utterly hypocritical. How come you guys get to insist that your view is correct but if I respond in equal measure I'm forcing my view on others? For that matter, the whole concept of forcing your views on someone in the context of an internet discussion is absurd. I'm not harassing you via PM. I'm not repeatedly bringing this up in different topics. We are simply having a discussion. Hence, the whole point is for each of us to argue on behalf of our viewpoint. You're doing it and I'm doing it. If you simply wish to hold to your viewpoint and do not want anyone to try and convince you otherwise then fine. Don't participate in this discussion.

Also to clarify, what I said last is quite the opposite of arguing for my viewpoint. To the contrary, I am recognizing that if his opinion of what constitutes a quality show is so different from mine, then I am really not going to be able to make an argument short of weighing the merits of dozens of different individual titles. That's not to say I don't still hold to my viewpoint. However, I am accepting that this isn't really something that two people can effectively debate.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
This might be a very unpopular opinion but I certainly wouldn't want Disney or even Pixar influencing Studio Ghibli.

Agreed. I don't know where the concept comes from that Westernizing anime is a good thing other than a sort of cultural imperialism, wanting to influence and take credit for animation made outside the U.S. If you put these two studios together, you'll get Ghibli watered down to political correctness and the standard Disney formula. Every time I've read scholarly works contemplating the appeal of anime outside Japan, that author concluded in one way or another that it was "because of the Japanese story elements". Every time I read or listen to accounts from early fans, I hear the same thing. From the little I've read about it, a big part of Gonzo's demise was their attempt to directly appeal to Western audiences. As soon as they dropped that and did Strike Witches, they had their biggest seller in history.

I'm not a purist of some sort, just also was attracted to anime because it isn't telling the same old Western stories with the same plots and moral beliefs and tropes since Ovid. The Japanese combination of animism and Eastern religion, their social and cultural traditions, plus their own library of history and myth, and often layered with the U.S. occupation and cultural import influence, provides a new and unique entertainment experience. I love it when they thumb their noses at Western beliefs and current social strictures. Nobue smoking in Strawberry Marshmallow is a key character trait, but would never be allowed in a U.S.-financed show, period, because of pure politics, damn the art. Don't even mention xxxHolic, which was politically vilified on this very site in the first review. Believe me, the end of my anime career will come when Hollywood begins writing its stories.

So your saying that Strike Witches is better than anything that the western tainted Shinichirō Watanabe can create? Okay, um no. Your celebrating one of the biggest problems that anime is having as the companies are trying to sell all of their shows to the exact same group of people with hardly any real variation except in what kind of moe show it is. The result is that the market is shrinking with less anime being made, all while you celebrate it's demise. Your basically saying that Xenophobia is a good thing, when it's not.

Japan's xenophobic behavior when it comes to video games has caused a crisis in gaming as well where the Japanese have begun to just make the same games over and over again, and are not changing. Their games have stopped evolving as they continue to rely on franchise games. The result is that the amount of sales are shrinking as the Japanese percentage of the world market is significantly less. Compare that with western gaming as it continues to evolve due to the influences of companies all over the world. Where as the Japanese market is shrinking, the american market is growing.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

A lof of times people confuse people dying with art. Samurai X does, Code Geass does, as did pretty much a ton of OVAs in the 80's did as well.

I think this is a really good point, particularly with the shonen/seinen discussion. If you look at a lot of clearly shonen stories, such as One Piece, you see that even the villains rarely die. It's more like in the "Soul Caliber" games - "Captain Kuro was wounded, but the soul still burns!" But then you switch gears over toVagabond and people are dying all over the place, or showing emotional damage as a consequence of their defeats/choices. I'm fairly certain that most critics, or at least academics, would say that Vagabond is the more artistic of the two, and therefore the better. There's no denying that its artwork is more classically "good," but in terms of just story, it's a matter of taste and intended audience. Seinen readers are generally looking for a grittier story with fewer "my power's bigger than yours is" plot devices, and so death is thrown in to cater to that. But that doesn't automatically make the story better.

Maybe a better point of reference is the reading choices of most schools. How many of you had to read books like Bridge to Terabithia, A Taste of Blackberries, or Beat the Turtle Drum? Or Where the Red Fern Grows? Those are all books that schools deem important and literary (English-teacher-speak for "art") because the hero/heroine has to deal with death. Meanwhile books like The Borrowers or The Princess and the Goblin are discounted as good for outside reading but not worthy of class discussion. Sure they're well-written and entertaining with good lessons, but no one dies in them. I realize this is a generalization, but it seems to fit the earlier discussion. I hope.

Anyway, I would agree with the two early posts in this thread that josei is the most overlooked genre here. As the female fanbase ages, wouldn't it make sense to cater to the group that has disposable income? (Although, to digress back to my earlier babble, in josei vs. shoujo, it seems like sex is the line-drawer. Hmm, sex vs. violence...) And why is Viz publishing Butterflies, Flowers under the ShojoBeat imprint? Was it that hard to decide to create a josei line? Or are they just testing the waters to see if more josei will be profitable? Here's hoping it's the latter...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7