• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ookiku Furikabutte TV Anime's 2nd Season Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I was really impressed and surprised by Big Windup. The whole second half of the series sucked me in, blew me away, and made me jump and cheer in such a way that a real baseball game never did. I was never a sports fan, but seeing how the characters go through their strategies and leave everything else to chance made me really respect the game more than I ever have. In short, cool beans they're coming out with a second season, and I won't mind Funimation licensing this one.
tailor31415

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
hoorah!!! I've been waiting for this kind of news! This will be so amazing, considering what's happened in the manga since the last anime episode. Great Very Happy
Trunks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I heard that in the first season of Oofuri only two baseball games are played. Is that true? Did they actually stretch out the games to be longer than the actual real-life sport? That would be pretty crazy.

I'll stick to enjoying Touch, Major, and Cross Game thanks. This is good for fans of Oofuri though.

Oofuri by far has the most realistic depiction of baseball being played. The reason games take so long is because they try to show the different possible strategies from various players' POVs. Anyone really into the nitty gritty of baseball will love this show.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I heard that in the first season of Oofuri only two baseball games are played. Is that true? Did they actually stretch out the games to be longer than the actual real-life sport? That would be pretty crazy.

Yes, there's only one practice game and one official game played in the first season but you get the different POVs of all the characters so personally I didn't find them a drag at all. You should give the series a try. I believe it's being streamed for free online. (The Japanese version is way better imho though.)
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote
This must be why TBS is rerunning the series.
leongsh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

In addition to what others have already posted that Oofuri features probably the most realistic depiction of baseball, especially high school baseball, the timing of the game is really quite spot on. Considering that the official game in the 2nd half of the 1st season lasts about 11 episodes at approx. 22 minutes per episode, this is approx. 3 1/2 hours - and that includes 2-3 breaks of a few minutes during the game itself - which is about par for a thrilling closely fought game.

If you like baseball, you should definitely give Oofuri a go.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote
I just realized that Big Windup season 2 and Major season 6 will be airing at the same time, plus Cross Game is still airing for now. This is a dream come true for the baseball anime fans--like me!
PBsallad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:50 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
PBsallad wrote:
I haven't even bought the series yet, just waiting for the complete season 1 box set... =/

RightStuf just had a sale where you could get both sets for 50% off. That's about how much would be slashed off with a boxset, right?

Not necessarily. The sale has it at $59.99, the SRP would be around that much. Right Stuf sells stuff below that and I have a Got Anime membership so it will be 10% off of that low price.

The Got Anime discount also doesn't affect the current sale.

But why I'm not getting it now? Trying to save money. I pre-ordered Baccano! and got the Trigun Bundle ($179.88 down to $39.99 Surprised) and got a Hellsing book. I'm starting to collect the series.
NDenizen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
More implied gayness, oh ho
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Before I watched the first episode, I thought I wouldn't enjoy this series and wouldn't watch more than one episode. Then observed the main cast of characters, their voice actors and the overall plot line. Not only did I enjoy watching this series, I really enjoyed watching the English audio.

But the second I reconized Greg Ayres, I knew I'd enjoy watching this show. Eventually I watch the entire series, so its great to know there is a second season.

NDenizen: Seriously, they are just friends. Given Mihashi's past, its nospoiler[surprize the way he acts. Abe probably is closer to him because of his personality.]
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, the show goes out of its way to be a little fan-servicey to slash fans. (hints: Abe blushing while holding Mihashi's hand, the command to "sleep with a teammate" during training camp, tickling Mihashi for stress relief, Tajima suggesting Abe give Mihashi a massage). OTOH, pretty much ANY form of male bonding in fiction gets people screaming, "OMG ITS TEH GHEY" so I tend to not put much weight in it.

That said, I really love this show, and will join the chorus in hoping Funi gets the second season and reunites the absolutely fantastic dub cast. I don't think the original did all that well for them, though, so I'm trying not to get my hopes too high.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
What fantastic news! I also love Funimation's dub and hope to see season 2 get licensed in the states.
leongsh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:37 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
To be fair, the show goes out of its way to be a little fan-servicey to slash fans. (hints: Abe blushing while holding Mihashi's hand, the command to "sleep with a teammate" during training camp, tickling Mihashi for stress relief, Tajima suggesting Abe give Mihashi a massage). OTOH, pretty much ANY form of male bonding in fiction gets people screaming, "OMG ITS TEH GHEY" so I tend to not put much weight in it.

The "OMG ITS TEH GHEY" cries do get a bit annoying. Some of these highlighted have to be viewed in the context of what is actually happening then, e.g. Abe blushing while holding Mihashi's hand is because he was embarassed at having to hold Mihashi's hand - doing what the coach told him to do to understand Mihashi as he fell hook, link, and sinker when Momoe did it to him. Exceptionally unorthodox but Abe learned from that action how hard Mihashi practices as he could feel the callusses of Mihashi's hand which could only be from long hard practice - something Abe well understands and appreciates.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

That said, I really love this show, and will join the chorus in hoping Funi gets the second season and reunites the absolutely fantastic dub cast. I don't think the original did all that well for them, though, so I'm trying not to get my hopes too high.

I first watched it when it was added to Hulu (I wish they would add more episodes). Not knowing anything about the series I jumped right in. Then in episode 2 or maybe 3 Abe holds Mihashi's hands... Total yaoi vibe. Not to mention the whole pitcher and catcher thing lol. After that I started reading stuff about the show on Wikipedia and what not. I was glad to see nothing really happens and continued watching it.

Recently started re-watching it on FUNi's video site and agree with leongsh about the embarrassment part. Now I'm up to about episode 9 or so. Slowly working my way through it...
musouka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:54 am Reply with quote
leongsh wrote:
The "OMG ITS TEH GHEY" cries do get a bit annoying. Some of these highlighted have to be viewed in the context of what is actually happening then, e.g. Abe blushing while holding Mihashi's hand is because he was embarassed at having to hold Mihashi's hand - doing what the coach told him to do to understand Mihashi as he fell hook, link, and sinker when Momoe did it to him. Exceptionally unorthodox but Abe learned from that action how hard Mihashi practices as he could feel the callusses of Mihashi's hand which could only be from long hard practice - something Abe well understands and appreciates.

His "confession" was (intentionally) framed along the lines of a romantic confession--something that DVD stores actually capitalized on in order to sell to a female audience. Was it actually a romantic confession? No. Was that nuance purposefully there as a joke? Yes. For a non-joke line along a similar concept, you only have to remember the part where Abe tells a sleeping Mihashi he's going to devote himself to him for three years. Abe's possessiveness of Mihashi is also eyebrow-raising in some respects, and the entire course of the relationship of their battery follows along the exact same lines as you'd expect a romcom to, right down to spoiler[meeting the "superior, worrying ex."]

I hate the way people feel it necessary to downplay this subtext, as though there's something wrong with it, or it's a negative aspect of the series, or it's not "really" there, just "crazy people" are reading it wrong. No, they're not. It's just as much fanservice as a pantyshot in a harem anime, and guys need to grow up and get over it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3