• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you care very much for the cover?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beaux10

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I much prefer the original covers to be kept, but I'm okay with new covers if they are good in their own right. I like Kino's Journey's alternate cover and I love the Slayers covers from Tokyopop, but I've never checked so they may actually be the original covers. I like the paperback Haruhi covers (from what I've seen online, as I don't own any) for their minimalism. Besides, the original covers (or whatever the hardback covers are) would be pretty embarrassing to read in public, given some of what I've seen of them...

On the subject of the infamous Spice & Wolf cover, I despise it. Sure Holo isn't always exactly modestly covered, but I am not reading THAT in a public setting. I actually didn't even notice that she was naked for a while, but I hated it even then for trying to play to the Twilight audience and for just being an ugly cover. Has nobody noticed how creepy that smile is..? And the Japanese cover is very well drawn and aesthetically appealing, even if it is just Holo standing there. Better than streaking, I say...
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:51 am Reply with quote
I love the covers on my Scarlet and the White Wolf books. It shows the characters in nice detail and the cover style fits the fantasy setting. I also over the covers for the Nightrunner series.

I don't know about other people, but the cover pulls me in. Like, I'll do a basic search (fantasy novels where the main guy is gay) and I look at the cover to narrow it down. I personally like the drawn covers more, instead of the human model covers.
manicli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I personally dislike the Spice and Wolf covers aswell! Holo just doesn't look right to me. The Japanese covers are much softer on my eyes Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2