• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Kiki's Delivery Service from Disney

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeiram

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:37 pm Reply with quote
hmm, hope they keep that bike scene, that was cute

otherwise, more power to ya (did i just say that about disney? x_x;Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I guess they weren't satisfied with bastardizing Narnia and Hitchhiker's Guide.
Bulghod

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I hope they use this at the very least for a platform to return to the old heartwarming movies that Disney use to do and Miyazaki does now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Oooh...well, this might be good news...

(thinks back on every live-action project Disney has done in the last five years or so)

Well...maybe it won't be THAT bad...

(remembers "Most Valueable Primate..." and the sequel.)

Must...kill...world...
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to seeing it. Very Happy
Bulghod

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Oooh...well, this might be good news...

(thinks back on every live-action project Disney has done in the last five years or so)

Well...maybe it won't be THAT bad...

(remembers "Most Valueable Primate..." and the sequel.)

Must...kill...world...

oh, and to make you feel better, there's also the Love Bug remake Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I still haven't seen the one with Bruce Campbell. :(
arxane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:30 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I guess they weren't satisfied with bastardizing Narnia and Hitchhiker's Guide.

Those films haven't come out yet and you've already panned them?

Anyway, I'm also looking forward to this. "Narnia" and "Hitchhiker's Guide" look to be coming along pretty well, so there's good reason to assume they'll do well with this story.
Twage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:07 pm Reply with quote
This has the potential to be very cute, and I'm all for anything that raises Ghibli's profile in the US. Though I wonder how Disney got the rights to do this. The old Miyazaki would have made you wait to pry them from his cold, dead hands. Smile
Effect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Well they aren't doing Miyazaki's Kiki's Delivery Service. But doing their own version based off the books by Eiko Kadano. Which is what Miyazaki did. He did his movie based of those books, which is what the actual article says. So actually they wouldn't have to get any rights from Miyazaki since they aren't adapting his film but basicly doing what he did to make his but in a live action setting.

Like someone else said. I do hope this might mean that Disney will start going back to doing heartfelt stories instead of the things they have been doing lately.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I admit that I feel a bit mixed about this. On one hand, it will introduce new people to Kiki in a way that Miyazaki's movie didn't. On the other, I don't know if it will be as good. But I'm not going to predict anything horrible either, for I don't wanna turn into a basher of anything--dubs, Disney, or anything else.

However, the part where they got the rights not from Miyazaki but from the author is at least acceptable. And no, I don't think Disney's version will "ruin" Miyazaki's movie by any means. Miyazaki's movie will always live on, no matter what.

On a side note, I have been very pleased with the Ghibli R1 DVD releases thus far and have enjoyed the dubs immensely. Smile Can't wait to hear the new ones. February 22nd can't get here soon enough!

-Jon T.

PS: The forum response after the announcement of the remake of KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE on AIN'T IT COOL NEWS is far more violent than this board is.
CaptainRisu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Effect wrote:
I do hope this might mean that Disney will start going back to doing heartfelt stories instead of the things they have been doing lately.

if i recall correctly, disney has been doing more PG-ish movies for some time, it's just Pirates of the Carribean was the first mature movie they actually released under the Disney name [instead of MGM?].

i admit i'm missing the old disneys too. and the 2D Anime cry
damn you michael eisner, you ruin everything.
the incredibles was cool, but that was pixar wasn't it?

um back to the related topic: i think a LA Kiki's would be cute. i never finished watching the movie i borrowed from my friend, i should go do that....
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Hitchhiker's is getting great praise from the test screenings, and the people working on Narnia were heavliy involved in Lord of the Rings.

I'm optimistic.

I'll look forward to this movie. Nice to also note that the original books are finally getting translated into English as well. Should make for a nice tie-in.
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Live action Kiki? Hooray! My only question is what will they do with Jiji? Will it be a real cat, animatronic, or CGI? If it's not a live cat, I certainly hope they keep him looking more or less real. Nothing can mess up a decent movie worse than a theme park mascot looking character.

Main reason why I didn't see The Country Bears. That might have been pretty cool if they made the bears look more realistic, but seeing those huge eyes immediately put me off.
Proman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Call me a pessimist but I'm not crazy about the whole idea. I think Miyazaki's version is already perfect and I don't think Disney's version will be able to surpass it. On the other hand, I can kind of see the potential in it, I just don't trust Disney very much.
I also think that it will be hard to replicate the look Miyazaki's film (which is not necessarily what they'll be doing) without having to spend a lot of money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4