• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Mamoru Hosoda

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
Justin wasn't kidding. He really does sound like a positive person.

I gotta say though, the "Hosoda sphere", as I call it, wasn't something he started with Superflat Monogram. It's existed since Bokura no War Game.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote
Interesting series of interviews ANN has been posting lately; I hope there are more to come. I enjoyed The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars equally. I look forward to seeing Summer Wars without the shitty color/contrast and Korean hardsubs once the Blu-ray is released in March, pricy as it is.

When looking at Hosoda and another (relatively) young director discussed today, Makoto Shinkai, I have to say I look forward to Hosoda's future work more. Though Shinkai's movies are beautiful and I've enjoyed them, he really does seem dead set on being a thematic one trick pony. I wish he would be more willing to explore themes other than separation. Aside from being focused mostly on young people, Hosoda's films already seem more varied.

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:10 am; edited 1 time in total
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
I was especially looking forward to this interview as I really enjoyed The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and after Justin's review simply can't wait for Summer Wars (someone please license it ASAP).

The whole coverage and series of interviews have been standout. Hope you get to go again next year.
Shuchung

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:55 am Reply with quote
I like the questions regarding his personal life and views on social networking, but no matter how you see it, Superflat Monogram is only a derivation of his previous works.
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
A great interview with a great director, and I do love his attitude! The picture at the top, too! Very interesting to hear his inspirations for the new film, which I'm psyched to check out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I really wanted to like The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, but it just didn't quite work for me. I didn't feel like it stood out as a film, let alone as an anime. It's not that the scale of the film wasn't big enough for me, I just felt like...well, the staging of many scenes lacked a certain level of creativity I expect in a film format. I guess it doesn't matter what I think at this point since most people seemed to like it, and that's pretty much what matters...

That said, I'm still very eager to see Summer Wars.

Ultimately, of all the non-Ghibli filmmakers, I'm still pretty much on the Satoshi Kon bandwagon. And hey, even he had a hiccup (for me, anyway) in doing Millennium Actress.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
This was a very tough interview, because although it was one-on-one, it was broken into two parts in front of two different audiences. There were also some difficulties with the translation, so this interview is much shorter than I wish it was. I stitched it together the best I could, but I'm sure I missed something. (I was supposed to have a private one-on-one interview, but the schedules became complicated, and towards the end of the show the poor guy had been doing nothing but interviews and I could see he was burning out. Plus I'd already asked most of my good questions on stage. So I decided not to press for more time.)

He only talks about Ghibli and Disney, but the guy has seen everything. I quizzed him on some of the highlights of the Buried Treasure catalog, and he'd seen EVERYTHING. I couldn't believe it. NOBODY in Japan remembers those shows! He really is a super-fan.

Glad you've enjoyed these interviews, I certainly enjoyed doing them. Sadly, this is my last one from the Singapore trip. Best business trip evar. Hope I can go again next year.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
I quizzed him on some of the highlights of the Buried Treasure catalog, and he'd seen EVERYTHING. I couldn't believe it. NOBODY in Japan remembers those shows! He really is a super-fan.

Wow.

Personally, I'd love to get his take on the Patlabor franchise as a whole. Heck, I'd like to see him direct the next Patlabor film that will most likely never ever happen [except in my wildest dreams].

Quote:
Best business trip evar. Hope I can go again next year.

Whatever amount change ANN managed to scrounge up for your trip was money well spent.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Personally, I'd love to get his take on the Patlabor franchise as a whole. Heck, I'd like to see him direct the next Patlabor film that will most likely never ever happen [except in my wildest dreams].

Personally, I'd just like to see more Patlabor. Preferably with Oshii at the helm.
From what is reported, Hosoda seems quite the creative Otaku. A little like the Gainax founders I suppose, only with quite a different filmography thus far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:14 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed reading this. I love Hosoda and he is probably my favorite up and coming anime director so it was really nice to see that ANN got an interview with him. Although I am jealous that Justin actually got to meet him. That would be a dream come true for me. Smile

I would love to follow him on twitter but of course since I can't read Japanese that would be pretty pointless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1