• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Home Alone

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:39 am Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
No offense Erin, your reviews are good in all, but if you're gonna make something shelf-worthy, it should be because of the content of the show, not the nice things that come with it. Like you said, there are plenty of people who hate Dragon Ball Z, so why would they care about the hardcover book that includes plot summary, relationship diagram, designs and timelime?

Generally I'd agree but in this case it's probably a worthwhile exception. I mean at this point I think most people know what DBZ is like. It's been released many times and there are a million reviews out there. It's probably more worthwhile to focus on this particular set's packaging and extras.

Besides, it's not like she doesn't clarify all the reasons one might not like DBZ. Overall it's a perfectly effective review. In the end, DBZ is going to be downright perishable to some. If you are into it though, the Dargon Box is pretty much the definition of Shelf Worthy. Splitting the difference and calling it a rental is the least applicable though.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:42 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:

Technically it is a trilogy, actually; the series proper will be covered in the first three movies

I think i get your point but, I don't think I would say it's technically a trilogy. If you could say that it would feel like a 3 movie re-cap and a 4th tacked on then I would be more prone to agree. As a remix, it's not waiting til end to add the new stuff. I saw the second movie and had a hard time staying oriented as my mind kept trying to find a familiar (TV)story thread and it
(movie2) just wouldn't conform(Not that I wanted it all to be the same, just sayin'). It's not the same story. Essentially? Maybe? I wonder how much will have changed by the time the 3rd movie rolls out? I'd think all the new stuff would prove to feel like a waste if they did not have some profound effect on the way it develops. Mainly, I just hope it 'works'. Ideally, by the time the fourth move arrives, it will feel like a new coherency exists to where it(the 4th movie) feels like a natural extension.

Also, given that there are 2 prior stabs at ending this, what is considered the 'story proper'? The end of the TV series or it plus the movie(s)(one also being mostly re-cap) that followed? Never mind the director's cuts. Shocked

Big Hed wrote:

Jo, Ha, and Kyu.

nani?
Sceleris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:55 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
this movie, ON ITS OWN, makes little sense. The question most often asked by people who just saw this movie without seeing the show prior was "who IS this person and why are they doing that?" and the only answer I could give each time was to say "well, in the original TV show..." Regardless of whether my sample size was 2 or 200, answering questions like that to make sense of the movie isn't something you should have to do a lot (or at all) for a series reboot/remake proper.

Although I don't really know what questions were asked (examples, please?), perhaps the retort would be "but it's not supposed to be seen on its own." As Captain Crotchspike writes, it's a series of movies, and maybe the first one shouldn't be expected to give all the answers. I don't think that ending with a preview for the next movie is just a simple gimmick or promotion, but perhaps also a way of saying "maybe you don't get it now, but remember, this is just the beginning". And I think most newcomers get that -- the most negative views I've seen come from those who compare it to the TV series. (Me, I thought 1.0 was pretty cool, albeit somewhat rushed.)

Seeing as how this lack of episodic self-containment was in the original, I don't really agree with it making the movies a bad remake -- it's the Evangelion storytelling style. Of course, you can say that it's a bad creative choice when the movies come out a couple of years apart, but I don't think that means they are meant for former fans only. I'd rather think they want to instill the "what's going on? What'll happen next?" feeling of the TV series into a new audience. Like making viewers unable to put each movie behind them and forgetting them in order to pack a punch in the end.

Still, the most important question is: did your friends enjoy the movie, sensible or not, and do they want to see more?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:02 am Reply with quote
@Cheesecracker

Good point; taken as a whole, Rebuild is supposed to be radically different. But the "essence" of the original is also supposed to run through the first three movies... but... I don't know, this is largely a discussion of semantics, I think. It all depends on where you draw the line between original and derivative.

Quote:
nani?

Er, right. Maybe a Wikipedia like would've been helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelion_Rebuild . Look under the "Film Titles" section.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I was somehow really embarrassed for Kajika as she told her would-be-fiancé Eugene about her dead-leopard-theory

Eugene? Snow leopard? Heh, this was almost close to being a Tales of Rebirth coincidence. If Mustafa was a panther, then I would say something. But why does it have to be a snow leopard? I want a regular leopard! Anime hyper

You know, even though I loathe DBZ more than any other anime today, I am willing to debate its technical points, if it has any at all. I have to agree about the comparison of the plot to a soap opera, half the time they were wasting scenes on pointless things happening.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:29 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
@Cheesecracker

but... I don't know, this is largely a discussion of semantics, I think. It all depends on where you draw the line between original and derivative.

Oops, sorry about that. More so, I find that additional comments I thought to make would be more of the same. (ie. 'Wouldn't it be 'where *they(Gainax)* draw the line between original and derivative?' and 'by *original* do you mean original-new or original-old and wouldn't derivative be new having been based on the old but make it like the old or is that derivative in the general sense ?)

just kidding

I suck Crying or Very sad

Big Hed wrote:

Er, right. Maybe a Wikipedia like would've been helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelion_Rebuild . Look under the "Film Titles" section.

Thanks for the link, interesting stuff.

This caught my eye...

From the wiki: Another stated intention of this series is for it to be much more understandable and accessible to non-fans than the original TV series and films were.

"non-fans" I thought the fans *were* the ones having trouble. Smile
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:10 am Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
If you really don't think we need you to tell us to buy DBZ, then please save your breath and don't tell us. Review something you care about.

I don't get a choice.
Kirikiri23

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
russ869 wrote:
If you really don't think we need you to tell us to buy DBZ, then please save your breath and don't tell us. Review something you care about.

I don't get a choice.

That's kinda depressing
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Hanasakeru Seishonen is a good shoujo anime, based on a good shoujo manga. One of the things the reviewer disparages the anime about is a lack of action, and too much talking. It sounds like the complaint of someone who prefers shounen to shoujo. Women's works do tend to focus more on emotion and talking than the average male-centric story, and that doesn't make them bad, just not the reviewer's cup of tea.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:
"non-fans" I thought the fans *were* the ones having trouble. Smile

lol, well I guess you could say that Rebuild is meant to attract people who otherwise wouldn't have understood at all.

sunflower wrote:
Women's works do tend to focus more on emotion and talking than the average male-centric story, and that doesn't make them bad, just not the reviewer's cup of tea.

I think the point is more that anime that are all dialogue and no action are in general kind of pointless; like reading manga in color, almost (though obviously colored manga would be nice).
gunshottrigun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
What a pleasant surprise to have my shelves on Shelf Life haha! When I sent them in and hadn't seen them for a while, I completely forgot I submitted those images. Razz
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:

I think the point is more that anime that are all dialogue and no action are in general kind of pointless; like reading manga in color, almost (though obviously colored manga would be nice).

Not necessarily. There are a lot of anime in my collection that are all dialogue, and no action, but the animation in them is far from pointless. Something like Paradise Kiss for example, works well, as the character and clothing designs used in the manga are absolutely gorgeous, and look absolutely stunning when they're moving. In my mind, those clothes (especially Yukari's dress)wouldn't look anywhere as wonderful in real life as they did as drawings.
The Key moe anime are very light to non-existent in the action department, but benefit from being animated, as the girls are insanely cute, and it would be hard to find actresses who are as absurdly cute.
I can understand what you're saying, that animated is suited nicely to action, however, you can have a dialogue-packed story, with no action, that can still act as eye-candy.
Also, I for one, quite enjoy coloured manga panels. They're very pretty to look at.
Kirikiri23

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote
gunshottrigun wrote:
What a pleasant surprise to have my shelves on Shelf Life haha! When I sent them in and hadn't seen them for a while, I completely forgot I submitted those images. Razz

Well done on your collection
russ869

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
russ869 wrote:

I don't get a choice.

My bad.

Do you dislike Shonen Jump anime in general? Because I don't think Dragon Ball Z is really much different from any other show in that category. They all pretty much have the same stereotypical structuring issues. DBZ just has a much more ingrained history of hate surrounding it. (Hate for the dub, hate for the sub, hate for the franchise in its entirety...)
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:08 am Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
Do you dislike Shonen Jump anime in general? Because I don't think Dragon Ball Z is really much different from any other show in that category. They all pretty much have the same stereotypical structuring issues.

I started to write a longer reply saying how I'm not too cool to admit that I like DBZ, but then I didn't post it...

Basically, I got into DBZ when it was on Cartoon Network, and I started tuning in for the two episodes a day to see if Frieza would really die this time or not, as each concurrent title promised.

In the 10-13 years since then, I've seen a lot more anime, and my time has become a lot more valuable (paid by the hour, freelancing, being older, etc.). For me, DBZ is no longer a fascinating gateway into anime fandom, rather, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was wasting my life watching it.

I like the original Dragonball quite a bit, but even watching that last month I kind of felt like my time would be better spent reading the manga. I like Toriyama's designs a lot, and I loved the one-shot manga Cowa!.

I do rather enjoy the Shonen Jump structure, I just don't have as much time for filler as I used to. I love Naruto, but only episodes 30-85. Hikaru No Go is one my favorite things ever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4