• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-12-18]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I can understand maybe criticizing Romi Paku for doing young man roles (though to me, she IS Edward Elric, and she does sound like a teen boy in that role), but I take issue with the guy who dislikes Yasuo Yamada.

Never has a guy brought so much personality to an anime role than Yamada's Lupin, and he's my favorite manga/anime character, so I pay very close attention. He's certainly better than Sonny Strait or David Hayter's version, but I would say that I enjoyed Tony Oliver's in the Pioneer/Geneon dub for the second TV series. I can't see Oliver doing the same Lupin III for certain movies and specials, though. What was great about Yamada was his ability to adapt to the slight tweakings of Lupin.

It took me so long to get used to the second Lupin voice.

As for my least favorite voice actor/actress, as an anime reviewer, I don't want to burn too many bridges, but I don't particularly care for most of Chris Patton's work. Maybe in Nerima Daicon Brothers, when he plays such a small part, and he's whispering or singing through most of it, but in a lot of other things he tends to under perform. He's improved, but he has a long way to go.

Spike Spencer is another guy I find annoying in most of his roles. He exaggerates too much in his performances. His Shinji in Rebuild is an improvement over his previous work, though.

Believe it or not, I don't entirely dislike Vic Mignogna's acting. I just dislike his Edward Elric and tend to overreact to his popularity. Feel free to point it out when I go overboard. Guy's got a great singing voice, I'll give him that.

Aside from Alphonse Elric, I don't really care much for Rie Kugimiya, either. But it's because she's type cast. She's a good Alphonse because she isn't doing her annoying tsundere thing.

I think Aya Hirano can be a little grating at times, too.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
otaku bias aside, Witchblade was actually a pretty good anime.
s.alsa-man1991

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Aside from Alphonse Elric, I don't really care much for Rie Kugimiya, either. But it's because she's type cast. She's a good Alphonse because she isn't doing her annoying tsundere thing.

I think Aya Hirano can be a little grating at times, too.

Maybe it's because the tsundere stereotype has overstayed its welcome for many fans, and thus, not Rie Kugimiya's fault, but the fault of tsunderes' in general.

And Aya Hirano...well...let me put it this way: I like Aya Hirano....twelve episodes a year. If I get over that quota, I immediately turn off the screen and walk away each time I hear her voice. Even though a friend of mine bugged me to no end to start watching Fairy Tail, I couldn't bring myself to watching more than 3 episodes.

Now. on the other end of the spectrum, I almost worship Kamiya Hiroshi. His singing voice holds an other-worldly charm to me.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Basically, there needs to be a huge glut of new shows that are less like Fairy Tail and K-ON! and more like Fullmetal Alchemist.

If that happens I will never watch anime again. I wish though I could speak for the rest of fellow anime fans but I can't. FMA is corny and cliche on every level and I never have seen the appeal. But that's another story.

Frankly the reason I turned away from Western Animation to Anime and why I become weaboo in that sense is the fact Western Animation today sorely lacks the variety and depth of Japanese Anime. Granted there's a few theatrical gems but mostly it's a wide sea of mediocrity. Each year we're treated the drivel by DreamWorks and the masterpiece (or flop) by Pixar and the once in a while indy who can go either way (Coraline comes to mind). And forget TV where all you have is a long running show that stopped being funny 10 years ago and others that serve only to insult you if you don't think like the creators in every political aspect, so yeah f-- American animation it died in my childhood.

So please industry don't listen to Answer Fan unless you want to alienate another side of your fanbase the side that looks to anime for the reason it isn't like American cartoons. I don't give a crap if Naruto is more violent than your garden variety cartoon I don't want to see more Naruto Clones. Fine my personal tastes but still, something for everyone.

IMO if the industry wants to save it's self it needs to keep a lower price base (Non of Bandai's awful inflation) and release more quickly for international audiences.

Obviously Japan has been looking at North America and Canada because of the growing base thanks to companies like FUNimation, ADV, Media Blasters, and so on and so forth.

But it has to be symbiotic, fans need to stop being greedy bastards and nitpicking at the slightest augmentation in an International Release. (No not dub vs. sub, but things like The cover art sucks). Simulcast streaming I think is great not as a means to end solution for collection, but as a strong alternative to fansubs.

Furthermore, the idea of more joint productions between Japanese studios and studios around the world is a great idea if you ask me. It brings fresh blood and ideas into the medium and maybe will help increase wide appeal. No one needs to see the same manga adapted over and over again.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I strongly beg to differ about keeping things the same. Because Japan is no longer making more anime like FMA, the industry is shrinking, not just in America, but in Japan as well. Anime is different from Western animation, the problem is the stuff they make now is too niche, even for most Japanese. The only people keeping the industry afloat in Japan are the hardcore otaku and that's not going to be enough. Maybe you're happy with type of anime out now but I and I'm sure many on this forum are not.

And thank you Brian for pointing out something I've been trying to tell people for awhile now. If anime is going to make it; it's going to have to become more mainstream.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I like Romi Paku voicing boys.
Why should females voice characters who may need to be reprised over a lengthy period?
See the US dub of FMA. I never understood the rave over a child doing the voice of Al. I remember the whole think about having to re-dub Charlie Brown shows when one of the VA's outgrew the role so they'd all sound alike & how awkward that was.
It's not just anime. American cartoons have used females for boys for years.
I don't see the hate for Mignogna. Granted, I have a tendancy to pop over to Japanese if the English dub grates
I love the Mirage of Blaze dub. I like the group that dubbed it. I like the original Japanese so I listen to it both ways depending on my mood.
The Canadians get on my nerves quicker than the California studios, but Funi & ADV have had their share I refused to listen to. CPM probably rules for grating dubs.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I just utterly LOL'ed at that Rie Kugimiya webcomic! Good stuff! Laughing
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
The only time I watch shows with subtitles is when a show is unlicensed or licensed with a english audio track. Rie Kugimiya did a pretty good job with Taiga in Toradora, but too much of her reminds me of a irratated chimpmunk on steroids.

But typically, I usually watch English audio only, but will watch a decent unlicensed/license show with a english subtitles.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm just popping in to say that the comic was absolutely freaking G-O-L-D, no doubt about it. To put that much work in was far and away above and beyond the call of duty. Great work.
AnimeAngel00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably going to get flamed, but....

Brian wrote down exactly what I have been thinking about for a very long while. The anime industry needs to expand to a wider audience.

American animation like The Simpsons and The Boondocks are broadcasted in various countries. I understand why The Simpsons are so popular in many places, but I don't get why the Boondocks are so popular in Russia, Sweden, and Denmark. But whatever the show is doing, it's working and another season is coming out.

A few years back, I went through that, "American animation sucks and anime rules!" phrase. I took a trip down memory lane, and remembered how much I loved (and still love) Daria, Aeon Flux, Beavis and Butthead, MTV's Downtown, Invasion America, Robotech, Heavy Metal, Dr. Kats, Home Movies, Fritz the Cat, and A LOT of Disney, Don Blumm, and Fox children's animated films. Of course there are people who dislike any or all of these shows, but they are endearing to me. I also use to watch anything and everything that came out in Japan, but I slowly came to realize for every one that's pure gold, silver, or bronze, dozens and dozens of anime are just crap.

Anime and American animation both have their shining to semi-dull stars and streaming piles of crap.

Random Side Notes:

I enjoy the Canadian animated show Bob and Marget, and I hope to discover and watch many more animated shows from various countries.

I don't understand the appeal of moe....I just don't get it. Why is every other show coming out now moe?! A clumsy girl saying a silly phrase over and over again in a high annoying voice and falling down all the time exposing her panties are not cute or endearing! I'm still trying to find ONE dude in person that'll admit to watching moe.

Will there ever be another magical girl show as good as Cardcaptor Sakura, Sailor Moon, or Full Moon?

If the anime industry can pay a bit more attention to young adult females (18 to 35 yr) with good quality josei, there's more mula to be had (well, with me anyway...haha). Series about high school drama, fighting ninjas with transforming skills, and neo-space robots are fine and dandy, but it would be nice to watch a show about a gal in her 20's to 30's surviving the modern day workforce, finding meaning in life, keeping her man happy (or finding her prince charming), and trying to keep her kids from attacking the family cat and such (The movie Only Yesterday comes to mind...I wish it was a mini series). May sound boring to many folks out there, but I'll watch it and buy the dvds!
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
That comic was amazing, so glad it got featured. But am I the only one who is confused at Ed from FMA being called a "prepubescent teen"? Last I checked that usually referred to boys from 9 to 12 or so, not the 15-17 year old range.

Anyway, I would see a Disney/Ghibli collaboration unless it got horrible reviews to see what it was like. I'm actually optimistic about western stories becoming anime since that could be the shake up and spread out that anime needs. Hopefully it'll at least be interesting to see what happens.
malik_chan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I can't stand Paku Romi's voice acting, especially in Digimon 02 as Ken, it reminds me of Yoshitaka's voice in He Is My Master and thus sounds way to perverted because they have similar voices. I love Derek Stephen Prince as Ken and Micnogna as Edward in FMA.

I don't like Vic Micnogna in anything other than FMA and Bleach. I don't like his Tamaki, it's not goofy and overdramatic enough (of course, I don't like whole Ouran dub anyway).
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote
*Is sad to see all the Rie Kugimiya/Romi Park dislike*

Oh KugiRie. I still love your tsundere voice. I know you have range!

I don't particularly like the seiyuu for Maka in Soul Eater either and I'm glad that Laura Bailey is doing such a great job. I also really don't like Bella Hudson's voice because it seems like the only one she has is the one she used for Luffy when 4Kids had One Piece.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:26 am Reply with quote
AnimeAngel00 wrote:
A few years back, I went through that, "American animation sucks and anime rules!" phrase. I took a trip down memory lane, and remembered how much I loved (and still love) Daria, Aeon Flux, Beavis and Butthead, MTV's Downtown, Invasion America, Robotech, Heavy Metal, Dr. Kats, Home Movies, Fritz the Cat, and A LOT of Disney, Don Blumm, and Fox children's animated films.

Yup, Robotech was a great American series. Neutral
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
What the hell's wrong with Nemo? It might be a bit of a misfire, but it's still pretty good for what it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7