• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K-On! Anime's 2nd Season Officially Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
Now i like K-On, i really do, but would it Kill Kyo-ani to release FMP4??

Hell even Konata is wondering when they will.

Also the quickest way to ruin K-on is to let Funi license it, yet given history, i'd see Bandai getting K-on since they also picked up Haruhi and Lucky Star.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
And the slow death of moe continues. Anyone wanna guess what the big thing in the tens is gonna be?
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:00 am Reply with quote
mastertr wrote:
snl67 wrote:
Booyah! I realize this type of show isn't for everybody, but I for one really enjoyed it. Now we just need a US release!

Anyone, anyone? Funi, Sentai?

If Funimation were interested in this show, it would have already been picked up by them by now. I'm not surprised they aren't interested. It's an otaku show. As much as I like to see dubs in anime, dubbing K-On would be a waste of money. The fans that like the show would buy it, nobody else. Plus, it really isn't a show that would benefit from a dub.

Seeing how popular and commercially successful K-ON! has been, it may simply be out of FUNi's price range and budget. Just because they have DBZ and FMA money to throw around, doesn't mean they should take a hit on the balance sheet.

That being said, I WANTIE NOW FUNI please!!

If they market the show in certain ways, I can easily see people buying/watching K-ON! who wouldn't normally. It's a fun, light-hearted show. I know personal anecdotes are bad, but I got my sister to watch the show, where she would NEVER see it otherwise, and she actually liked it! (and even had a moment of moe feelings for Mio Smile)

And I would LOVE to see who they would cast in the dub. It could totally work, and I have my fantasy picks already.
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
mastertr wrote:
If Funimation were interested in this show, it would have already been picked up by them by now. I'm not surprised they aren't interested. It's an otaku show.

Let's just tackle all the flaws in the above.
FUNi may want the show and not have it because the production committee
a) wants too much for it
b) are asking for absurd restrictions
c) aren't giving FUNi all the rights they want.
etc.
FUNi not having announced the show yet proves nothing about their actual interest in it.

Quote:
Sentai Filmworks however...there is always a chance they will pick it up and release it as a sub-only DVD set. They did release Blue Drop after all, which I never thought would get an R1 release.
Blue drop probably cost next to nothing to license. K-on! on the other hand is going to be a rather expensive license.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:19 am Reply with quote
K-ON! is a favorite of mine. I'm not soon moe loving manic but every now and then it's nice to just sit down with a nice simple show and relax and K-ON! does that nicely. On top of the fact that the music is great(wow a show about music having great music who would have thought).

I would love to see K-ON! get licensed but at the same time I have mixed feelings. It's been far to successful to be released in the US by the likes of Sentai as they probably could never afford it. However Sentai's model of subs only is the best way to release this show.

Dubbing it is a horrible idea. If funi gets it they will dub it and chances are they will dub the songs are well. Now lets get one thing straight BECK was incredible dubbed(better then the original Japanese in my opinion but that's a topic for another day) However the music in that show is MUCH different to the stuff you have in K-ON!

I don't really think the K-ON! songs could be dubbed. If it were to be dubbed the best way to approach it would be how Bang Zoom dubbed Lucky Star. I.E any talking was in English but even the most tinyist amount of singing was left alot and had the original Japanese. That worked well for Lucky Star and I'm sure it would work for K-ON!

That said I would be sticking with the subs on this one. I have already seen the show twice and am to used to the Japanese voices so for me to watch the dub it would have to be nearly flawless.
ohstalon06

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
If only KyoAni was this quick on the draw with a second season of Haruhi...
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
Awesome! Can't wait to see what'll happen in season 2!! >w<
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Niomo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
Manwards wrote:
I love this series! It may be simple, but it's charming and fun, and sometimes, that's okay. I enjoyed dissecting the symbolism in The End of Evangelion and puzzling out the conspiracies in Eden of the East more than anyone, but that doesn't mean I can't spend 24 minutes a week with a cute girl band too. The last two books I read were Enid Blyton's "Fifth Formers at St. Clare's" and Joseph Heller's "Catch-22". Just because you enjoy and appreciate complex and intelligent stories doesn't mean you have to close yourself off to the simpler ones.

I agree. K-On was just a show that was fun to watch. You didn't need to pay attention to how many cakes were eaten, or which one of their songs contained sounds that made people fall into comas, etc that other shows had. I enjoyed S1 and will enjoy S2.

Besides, they've come out with more than enough singles to create a second season without having any new songs created.
niiica

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:47 am Reply with quote
Not a big fan of K-ON, but my sister (who doesn't like anime) is definitely going to like this news.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote
K-ON Season 2? I shall be watching this, as far as License go if anyone were to license it should be FUNi, although I think Bandai will get it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 has to be after the Vanishment movie, no K-on style aloud in the movie.

Still it sells it sells, no problem with it.

They have material I think for 13 more episodes at this rate, so no big deal. Still Kyoto animation can't bring that style to other shows again, which is what I'm afraid there going to do more down the line.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Hooray! K-On is actually the only thing KyoAni's made that I like , I'm a sucker for anime about girls making music.

I'm also sad that it's not available in the states (yet). not even the manga :<

Moe Moe Kyuun~<3
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Japan for feeding the Evil Dark Specter even more Rolling Eyes , with animators working for a pittance and abandoning their crafts to the crutches of CG if not altogether abandoning the industry or going to work on Video Games, Oshii has seen the dark days ahead, Japan needs New and Innovative Blood in the Industry Shocked. Abandoning what makes anime unique in the word and just cater to the local Creepy NEET Otaku market and feeding their Waifu fantasies. Wake up and smell the Wasabi people before places like China and India make anime into an inconsequential artform.

Last edited by Vicserr on Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Ya anther season this is great it was such a great show the first time so it can only get better
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I think K-On is a great show ... it's a slice-of-life that reminds me of how fun and carefree those high school days were ~~ *sigh*

I, for one, would LOVE to see Funimation or Bandai license and dub this show (INCLUDING the songs). I can dream, right?

While marathoning Kannagi last night, I was reminded again why sub-only is sad for me ;__; ... eye-strain + when you adjust the volume, it blocks the subs for a moment - blaah!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7