• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K-On! Anime's 2nd Season Officially Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Geez, some of you people really need to take the chips out of your shoulders...
It's just a simple, fun show to watch... Just like there have been countless of since anime began.
Feel fee to not like it, but calling it the death of anime or anything similar is just pathetic.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Manwards wrote:
I love this series! It may be simple, but it's charming and fun, and sometimes, that's okay. I enjoyed dissecting the symbolism in The End of Evangelion and puzzling out the conspiracies in Eden of the East more than anyone, but that doesn't mean I can't spend 24 minutes a week with a cute girl band too. The last two books I read were Enid Blyton's "Fifth Formers at St. Clare's" and Joseph Heller's "Catch-22". Just because you enjoy and appreciate complex and intelligent stories doesn't mean you have to close yourself off to the simpler ones.

Hear, hear! One thing I love about anime is the complexity and maturity of the storylines, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with occasionally switching off the old gray matter and simply being entertained. You're supposed to enjoy yourself too, guys!
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
Geez, some of you people really need to take the chips out of your shoulders...
It's just a simple, fun show to watch... Just like there have been countless of since anime began.
Feel fee to not like it, but calling it the death of anime or anything similar is just pathetic.

Don't silence us if you yourself think you have a right to your opinion as well.

K-ON! is simple, but I didn't find it fun because for the most part it was incredibly boring. There have been many slice-of-life moe series before it that have more interesting characters, stronger relationships, and more notable day-to-day activities, and yet they got less than half the notability and praise than something like K-ON! does. Pardon me for not liking a series that half-asses everything and still gets more praise than similar works that do far more with what they have.
Loganator456

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
[No one-liners or one-worders. ~Zalis]
nagato316

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Manwards wrote:
It may be simple, but it's charming and fun, and sometimes, that's okay. I enjoyed dissecting the symbolism in The End of Evangelion and puzzling out the conspiracies in Eden of the East more than anyone, but that doesn't mean I can't spend 24 minutes a week with a cute girl band too.

Bingo. K-ON! is, when you break it down to basics, a guilty pleasure. There's only so much intellectual/highbrow aesthetic stimulation for leisurely purposes one can take before your brain explodes from overload. (I'm not just talking hypothetically either...FWIW I was watching freaking Wolf's Rain during K-ON!'s run...I had to counter the sugar shock with something substantive...and vice versa, if that makes sense.) Yes, it was silly fun, but the important thing was it was enjoyable silly fun. No harm in that.

Besides...

Reibooi wrote:
On top of the fact that the music is great(wow a show about music having great music who would have thought).

I will contend that there's nothing in the "catalog" of Afternoon Teatime quite on the same level of "God Knows," "Lost My Music," or even "Super Driver." But dangit, I happily have "Don't Say Lazy" and "Fuwa Fuwa Time" on heavy rotation on my MP3 player because, like all good power pop-rock, those songs just plain kick a**.

jenthehen wrote:

I, for one, would LOVE to see Funimation or Bandai license and dub this show (INCLUDING the songs). I can dream, right?

Fuwa Fuwa Time in English = so much Win...if it happens. Very Happy
Maciste

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
Now i like K-On, i really do, but would it Kill Kyo-ani to release FMP4??

Hell even Konata is wondering when they will.

Amen to that, brother. Amen.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Still waiting for a FMP4. God I would take a Key show over this and I despise Key shows for the most part. Oh well I learned my lesson from the first one and I sure as heck am not going to be watching the second season.
momamario

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh look, people being edgy and non-conformist by saying they hate K-ON or moe in general.

Well, alright that's over generalization. Some people genuinely dislike it because it's not what they look for in anime. As for the others, shame on you.

As for me, K-ON was either my favorite anime of 09 or my second favorite (Eden gave it a run for it's money) so I'm very excited.
Though... the manga is only like 3 chapters ahead... So that might not bode well for the show.
Actually wait, wouldn't it be sort of hilariously sweet if K-ON pulled a Code Geass?
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
ohstalon06 wrote:
If only KyoAni was this quick on the draw with a second season of Haruhi...

LOL

Well, I guess K-ON is here to stay, even though I personally didn't like the show (way too boring & I found the jokes lame)
Oh well.
Chibi Buizel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they're making another season. The Slice-o-Life/Comedy genre is one of my favorite anime genres.
Luna Loving

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, K-On! didn't totally run it's comedy course in the 13 (or was it 14?) episode run this year, I personally think a comedy show like that deserved around 26 episodes before I would get sick of it. It wasn't exactly sophisticated silliness, but I left each episode with a smile on my face. Encore!, I say!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

...Shows like this get another season, yet more intellectual shows don't?

It boggles the mind they'd make a sequel to the second best selling TV anime of 2009.

Anime is a commercial product--it's too expensive to produce purely for the sake of art.
I agree with Terriyaki Terrier, they should totally make more shows like Paranoia Agent and Texhnolyze that never made any money Rolling Eyes

mastertr wrote:
As much as I like to see dubs in anime, dubbing K-On would be a waste of money. The fans that like the show would buy it, nobody else.
No they wouldn't, they'd say "BAAAAAW dubs make DVDs $5 more expensive even though I'm still getting it for a quarter of what they paid in Japan Anime cry Anime cry Anime cry " Of course, if they released it sub-only, people would say "anime is worthless without dubs, I'm not buying fansubs on disc," even though the DVD subs wouldn't have stupid subbing blunders like unreadable karaoke, yen to dollars conversions, and chronic indecisiveness on honorific inclusion/exclusion and name order.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
...So, no Little Busters! TV this fall, eh KyoAni?

Fine, **** you then. If I'd known you were just going to turn to one of those get rich super fast animes, I would have jumped ship earlier. Now that I know you're happy riding the guilty pleasure gravy train that all other animation studios in japan seem to be okay with boarding, I know to not think any higher of you anymore.

...I'm gonna go sulk now. ._.
Kirikiri23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
K-on is so awesome man
we need more shows like it

and less 11 eyes
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
even though the DVD subs wouldn't have stupid subbing blunders like unreadable karaoke, yen to dollars conversions, and chronic indecisiveness on honorific inclusion/exclusion and name order.

Add their stupid "notes" to that. A few shows I've watched fansubbed had them calling the characters gay and other stuff, even though there was nothing like that. The best fansub show I've ever seen was Yakitate! Japan, and that's the only fansub I'd ever praise.

As for the K-ON! haters, well, why are you even here? Why bother commenting about something you hate?
Well, swallow it up, because no matter what you say, there's a second season. And if you think about how much money they made with only 1 season, don't be surprised if there's a third. Perhaps it's anime like this that are supporting the fundless anime you might be watching at this exact moment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7