• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - The Heart of Thomas

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackmokona

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh my God you are looking at so many BL titles it's so good for me. And The Heart of Thomas is like, so incredibly difficult to get through, in a good way, in the I care about these characters and what happens in the story way. It's scary, and beautiful, and excruciating in turns, which, yeah, now that I think about it is like a dream.

The not letting anyone see your true self theme is true for many other Asian cultures as well, but I think that as the central conflict of the story is dying away.

Love the article.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Great article! I'm usually not interested in BL manga, but this just sounds too good pass on.
EricMontreal22

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Great article, I've had this on pre-order for AGES (even pre-ordered it from Fantagraphics themselves, even though Amazon is charging far less, simply because I want to get it as soon as possible).

Some anal complaints--I'm not really sure you could call Les amitiés particulièries more, or less gay than Heart of Thomas. It's extremely chaste and suggestive (I'm suspecting you've not seen it...) Also, the manga that directly came out of Moto and Keiko's love for the film was Moto Hagio's 1971 one shot, The November Gymnasium, 2 or so years before Thomas was serialized (and nearly five before Takemiya's The Song of the Wind and Trees came out, though Takemiya had done a similar boys school story with gay elements--but an older woman/student main theme, in La Porte a L'ete a few years before, another one shot).

I know I should be happy for this volume, but I kinda wish November Gymnasium had been included, it's short, as a sorta example of where the story came from (it really should have been included in the Drunken Dream collection a few years back to whet people's appetite for Thomas.) Of course I'd also love to see the short, heart wrenching Thomas prequel, from the late 70s too... (Then again I'm still waiting for someone to translate Hagio's They Were 11 sequel--and Viz did that first story 15 or so years ago)...

Anyway, still very excited.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Random question: this manga reads right to left, right? And is it paperback or hardcover?
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:44 am Reply with quote
It's a right to left giant hardcover. It is a thing of beauty.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2