• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Holiday Special Part II

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
If I may, could I request that Zac and Justin do a yearly podcast about the movies of that year? I know this is ANN, but I love hearing you guys talk about movies.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:50 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
If I may, could I request that Zac and Justin do a yearly podcast about the movies of that year? I know this is ANN, but I love hearing you guys talk about movies.

I like this idea, too.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:01 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
If picking on random scapegoats would make it any more likely for LOGH to be released I'd happily join in 24/7, no question, but something tells me that is an absolutely futile gesture. Might as well lash out against global politics or whatever else pops up.

Don't get me wrong. I don't for the life of me expect Legend of the Galactic Heroes to ever be licensed. It was just an example.

I do know how poorly shows that old or older do in sales, but hell if I don't want to see more of that foolish decision-making now and then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:22 am Reply with quote
Hands-down my favorite sound bite:

"I don't like fun." - Justin

I'm one of the few people who really really liked Speed Racer. Like, a lot. A LOT lot. Besides The Wrestler (which I also think is the best film of 2008, kudos to Zac!) I'd dare to say it was my favorite movie that year. It was one of those crazy entertaining spectacles that just completely clicked with me and created a rare holy-shit-I-can't-stop-smiling movie-going experience. I love that movie so much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Prede

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:29 am Reply with quote
Fighting Spirit....God....that was not a good sign. There was no way that was going to sell well. I think it kinda hurt them a lot too. Heard that it had 2 dubs on it too. English and Spanish. Yeah...that really hurt them. 70 something episodes...ouch. Shame because I hear it's a good show. Must check it out one day.

Crash was way too corny. Crappy movie. I liked the attempt, but eh. Babel does the same kind of story much better. In fact Babel is one of my all time favorite movies. Really something everyone should see. Then go and watch Crash and see how crappy it is in comparison Razz. But really I do like that type of storytelling, and wish there were more movies like that.

Musicland bankruptcy in 2006, that was a huge blow. It hurt everyone terribly, but it really knocked out CPM, sadly. After that they never really recovered Sad . But they kept trying and trying to make a come back. It's really kind of sad, and everything was way out of their control. They tried with their re-releases, live action stuff, and even with their manga. But it seemed whatever they would do, something terrible would happen (like the Biblos/Libre affair) that they couldn't do anything about (stuff way out of their hands), and they'd have to re-orginize again. It's amazing they lasted as long as they did. Topple onto that a host of niche titles, no real cash cow, and falling DVD sales. Yeah... Sad

ADV's Sojitz license spree...the shows may not have been big sellers, but they were all amazing. Some of my favorite shows got brought here during this time from ADV. And their dubs were allways top notch. They were shows I really liked, and sadly they never sold well. Sure they had "no buisness" coming out in the US, but those are some shows that really appealed to me. I kind of wish they didn't go for those types of shows though, because maybe they'd be in a better position today Sad . Still I highly respect them for bringing that stuff here. Top of the line dubs, high quality stuff, and great more niche kinda shows, that I really enjoyed. But you also forget they picked up Gurren Lagann and Devil May Cry which all were good sellers (or could have been if released correctly). So they new what they were doing. It just was a terrible time, for everyone all around. They tried to license stuff for the hardcore fans, and it really hurt them in the long run. Bunch of otaku shows, niche stuff, and odd stuff that they liked, were good shows, but sadly did not sell what they wanted them too Sad .

Yes 2006 was when CPM laid everyone off. I did hear that about their loan being recalled, but damn. That's still terrible. So that's what you think did it Justin? The loan was the final nail? Still after this they tried to come back a few times. I really wish they did make a come back Sad .

Fansubs around that time...yeah they totally and utterly killed the industry. The music stopped during this time. No one was partying anymore. I place the blame more on the "fans" then the companies. Sure...not all the problems in the industry, but I agree with Zac completely. The people who said they loved anime, but never speant a dollar on it...ugh...they hold a lot of the blame, if not most of it IMO.

I LOVE Case Closed! It's a very good detective series. I think it could have caught on more if it got on Toonami not Adult Swim. Still I know a lot of non-anime fans, who watched it on Adult Swim and loved it to death.

I like Barefoot Gen more then Grave of the Firelfies, but both are great movies.

2007 was the bottom...That year was sad. The American Anime Awards...I remember that! Never watched it when it was new, but in 2008 I found a clip of it on IGN. Sadly I think that cost ADV A LOT of money. I think they did it for the fans, and the actors, but it did them no favors IMO.

Justin...I remember your "open letter"! LoL feels like yestorday...God I can't believe that's like almost 3 years old already! Wow... I still disagree with you partly though. I kind of wonder how the companies could have dealt with fansubs. Yes they needed to do something, but I do wonder what the hell they could have done.

Human Crossing I really liked that. Went out and bought it at an FYE after I read your review Justin. Great little show. No masterpeice, but hey it's a decent show. I didn't like spoiler[ the need to give a sappy and happy ending to everything, no matter how unrealistic that would be in real life] but hey it's something very different. And it's got some great little stories.

The 2008 mysterious "ADV shows on their website disappearance"...man that was sad, and out of nowhere. That was the start of their almost-death spiral. Then when they finally lost all their Sojitz stuff. That was really sad Sad . I was happy the titles got finished by Funi but still it's very sad, and those were ADV's titles. Still at least the titles didn't end up in limbo land. Also Funi saved those Geneon's titles, which I thought no one would ever do. And I bought a bunch of them Wink .

Frost Nixen was an amazing movie! I really liked it! Surprised you didn't like it guys. For this year, Coraline ! One of my new favorites.

Also not sure when you guys mentioned it, but Princess Tutu Great show! I can totally see it selling less then 100 copies though. But that hurts my soul, a lot. It's a great series that everyone should see. Fan of magical girl shows or not. Still it's inferior to Petite Princess Yucie. But hearing god awful sales for Tutu I must wonder how well this one sold... (Sorry but I'll do free advertizing for ADV/Section 23 for this show every chance I get. It's truly something else. Go buy it and see Wink )

Also 2009 you missed the biggest thing of all (at least IMO). The actual bankruptcy of CPM. I kept thinking they'd get back on their feet too. It's quite tragic really. They almost lasted 20 years. Close...that's longer then most anime companies (so far). John O' Donnell apparently counts a little differently then me, (2009-1990 = 19 not 20 Razz ) I kid I kid,. But that's cool. They deserved much longer then 20 years, so...

"World Peace through Shared Popular Culture"

Anyway great podcast guys. This is the only podcast I really listen to. It's great. Informative, fun, funny, and you guys are such characters. Keep up the good work, and I'll keep listening.

(wow I wrote way too much and I doubt anyone will read it Razz )
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
I liked this one so much better than the last one. Maybe it was the alcohol, I don't know, but this one was much more fun and got a few good laughs from me. "It'll show up on your doorstep" almost killed me.

So those KyoAni shows that ADV released were actually decent sellers? I'm surprised because all the armchair CEOs in the forums told all of us that they did terrible. You know, because they were niche, super moe and they personally didn't like them all that well (usually because of the moe); all the signs of show that's a terrible seller. Good news indeed.

I just can't get a beat on you guys. You both like Haruhi, but only Zac likes Gurren Lagann and neither of you enjoyed Afro Samurai all that well. I find it amazing how people can love the same show, dislike the same show, but be on opposite ends of the spectrum on another. Then there's the fact that liked all three and I just can't figure out who my tastes align more with. I think I'll just stick with Theron's reviews since we agree on everything except Special A.

After hearing these specials I'm kind of glad I only recently got into anime because I didn't have to live through all that crap. Also the fact that I don't have to pay $80 for a box set and can get singles for dirt cheap makes me pretty happy as well. Hell, I can get entire shows for dirt cheap now that Funimation does two half sets and then the eventual complete (half sets drop big time when completes come out). I do, however, dislike the fact that almost every Geneon show that's pretty good is insanely expensive.

I guess it's my turn to suffer now, though, because I have to sit through the "That's a terrible show to license, it's too niche", "Moe is killing the industry" and my favorite "This show should be dubbed or I won't buy it---This show shouldn't be dubbed because I have all the numbers in front of me and this won't sell squat" arguments that show up in every talkback thread. Yeesh Rolling Eyes . I'm going to love hating the talkback threads after Funimations licensing bonanza next week. Hearing people constantly talk about how anime is going to fall off the face of the Earth tomorrow gets sort of tiresome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:44 am Reply with quote
Another great podcast to listen to. The last 4 years for me really stand out for me as well. Sadly I was part of that fansub only group fora while (most of high school through until about 2 years ago.) Part of it was well I was poor, and part of it was my sad times that I was hooked on 4chan (I have since 2008 have not visited that site and never will again.)

2008 really sticks out for me as an anime fan because I purchased a huge amount of my collection anime and manga wise during the time, of course getting into massive debt as a result (which I do not regret) and failing health and medical bill debt doesn't help. I also joined the forums last year.

I was reading some of the threads about the Kodomo no Jikan thing Zac, amn some people got nasty there. I liked Kodomo no Jikan from what I have read and some of the TV show that I watched I enjoyed. There is worse out there, but that is all I am saying about that.

The King of Harts wrote:

I guess it's my turn to suffer now, though, because I have to sit through the "That's a terrible show to license, it's too niche", "Moe is killing the industry" and my favorite "This show should be dubbed or I won't buy it---This show shouldn't be dubbed because I have all the numbers in front of me and this won't sell squat" arguments that show up in every talkback thread. Yeesh Rolling Eyes . I'm going to love hating the talkback threads after Funimations licensing bonanza next week. Hearing people constantly talk about how anime is going to fall off the face of the Earth tomorrow gets sort of tiresome.

I don't like hearing that either. It also makes me to not want to talk to people anymore. I stopped trying to argue with people on stuff like that, it is just a waste of time and energy for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
Ha, I was curious about what manga Zac thought was gross and before popping into the forum I looked at Seven Seas list and then I see "Nymphet". I instinctively knew that was it and realized that it was probably an Americanized title of a series I really only heard of through H-parody. I never knew it was even considered for licensing so I laughed a good one and I clicked the link. Oh man... on the money with that guess. I also laughed at the 200+ post in the cancellation forum. "cash in" lol!

Please. no loli flaming. That was truly, truly a sad time for manga fans...

ANYWAYS! Really enjoyed the last two podcast. We otakus love to reminisce. And it's motivated me to find some of the older series and rewatch the olders ones I have. S-cry-ed. Wow. That was in the back of my collections. Fun watching it again after last week's podcast.

I still do wish you guys could more thoroughly link the stuff you've talked about. IT'S ALOT I know but it be nice. Pwease Zac?

Also I liked Avatar. The story wasn't original, stuff and premises you've seen before, but it was a great movie. Great CG and really good facial animation. Hype definitely effects how you perceive the film because the hype can definitely set it too high but its still a great movie and honestly, I hope it breaks alot of records. I actually really enjoyed the movie more the 2nd time I saw it with family and gotten over my "Cameron spent alot of money for this?" thing. It doesn't grab you like a Pixar movie does in the beginning, probably because of the live action, but does after the first 30 minutes or so.
Megabyte117

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
Wow, it was a pleasant surprise to hear you guys mention (if only briefly) Hikaru no Go. It's definitely one of the most underrated shows.

Great podcast, and I totally agree with an episode about you guys covering movies. It'd be interesting to get your take on Avatar after you discussed the trailer in episode 2 (?).
Maur

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
The one thing I was thinking about no one seemed to mention (in this thread?) had to do with Zac's recollection of Answerman. It made me wonder what would happen if (when?) Zac and/or Justin got tired of doing the ANN Cast? Surely no one else would be able to fill the void or their shoes. Would anyone want to try? Would people still want to listen to anyone else? Short of someone like Mike Toole or the face-smashing Daryl Surat, who could possibly have enough knowledge, clout or personality to keep the podcast going?
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Maur wrote:
The one thing I was thinking about no one seemed to mention (in this thread?) had to do with Zac's recollection of Answerman. It made me wonder what would happen if (when?) Zac and/or Justin got tired of doing the ANN Cast? Surely no one else would be able to fill the void or their shoes. Would anyone want to try? Would people still want to listen to anyone else? Short of someone like Mike Toole or the face-smashing Daryl Surat, who could possibly have enough knowledge, clout or personality to keep the podcast going?

I don't think you have to worry about that. While they may get bored with it in the future, this is pretty much Zac and Justin's only outlet to let it all hang out. All their frustrations and the workings of their inner minds. While Chris is still their boss, they have a lot more freedom with ANNcast than say Zac had with Answerman or all the shit CPM must have put Justin through.

And we all know Zac hated Answerman after 2007, and knowing his personal life was in shambles during the loli debate... you know, I'm just going to take a moment and apologize to Zac for any crap I may have contributed during that time.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
The spinoff of Adult Source Media that Justin was talking about was Anime Who (what a bad name for a company). Given their name though, I'm not sure if Justin was just playing around, or legitimately forgot the name.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this podcast, although it would have been nice to hear more about actual shows and what y'all liked (and not necessarily only stuff that got licensed). Oh well, I am looking forward to the reviewers' takes on that.

And yes, I listened to the whole thing. Mostly because it is new years and I am typing up my calculus portfolio project. Yes, please kill me.

You know, to me at least there seems to be some kind of tradeoff for the downfall of the industry here in North America, and I'm not sure if the positive end was mentioned all that much. Probably my perspective is skewed because all I know is the last half of the decade, but considering the massive rise in animation and art quality, not to mention a volume of shows so that, if, at least, the ratio of good shows to crap hasn't evened out more, it has increased in sheer numbers. The point is that even if the North American side is failing, on the source material end the good shows we're getting just look so much better.

In terms of the industry, the Internet is the future. Crunchyroll is the best example, but the first company which becomes proactive in protecting its releases from pirating [seems impossible now, but there are always ways...look at Steve Jobs and drm (not that I agree with that because it screws over legal consumers who want to burn dvds)] will ultimately do the best. Frankly it sucks mostly because so many people lost their jobs (but hey, that's true everywhere right now), but cutting out all the middle men and production costs might, just might, leave enough rollover for dubs? Slim chance, but still. However, no dubs does mean no TV airing.

On to other things. I liked Haruhi but not that much. Kyon's sarcastic narration is what made it really worthwhile for me.

I remember the death of Toonami. Fortunately I was old enough by then that I wasn't really watching anymore, but if Toonami's demise had come earlier I probably wouldn't be a fan today.

Crash. Blech. Horrible movie with no likable or redeemable characters (except maybe Matt Dillon), hammering you over the head with "if-you're-white-you're-secretly-racist" in a string of really unlikely events where everyone is anasshole. And mixed metaphors. The opening lines about crashing into other people make a beautiful metaphor but describe absolutely nothing about the movie.

On the other hand, Slumdog Millionaire fully deserved that win. I was very happy. It played like a modern very dark fairytale and was gorgeous in just about every aspect of production, from the cinematography and art direction (love the scene where he's filling the tub with money) to that lovely, lovely soundtrack.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
I am utterly shocked that Zac and Justin love Haruhi. The so called satire is them just pointing out the tropes, and the flaws of the series. Mikuru isn't a satire of moe, she just a big breasted moron whose sole purpose is to have Haruhi grope her.

Haruhi is absolutely satirical. Well, more like parody. Satire really calls on societal problems.

The light novels are a sarcastic commentary on the classic school ensemble tale that you see in most light novels and anime, complete with a maniacal moe fangirl, with a sci-fi twist (and sarcasm about that, too).

The anime, however, is a completely visual experience, so the tropes end up being played straight sometimes. It is KyoAni, after all. But I've never felt that the fanservice interfered with the story.

The problem is that it's not really a parody.

Yuki isn't a parody of characters who ripoff Rei Ayanami, she's just a ripoff of Rei Ayanami. Mikuru isn't a parody of characters whose main purpose is fanservice, she's just a character whose main purpose is fanservice, Haruhi isn't a parody of tsundere, she's just an obnoxious asshole whose antics I am supposed to find funny like Peter Griffin, and Homer Simpson.

Maybe the Light Novel was a parody, but KyoAni's series was definitly not. It takes more than "We needed a fanservice character and so I found one" to be hilarious.

When I hear "one of the greatest animes of all times" I want to see a series with a ton of depth, a rich variety of characters, excellent animation, and it does everything right.

Giant Robo did that, I just bought the re-release and I have just re-watched it over and over. The scene with the Kenpuu clan rising out of the river still gives me chilles. The music and action are some of the best in the history of anime.

Gurren Lagann did that, the characters felt like characters, you can see everyone's point of view, even though their where a ton of factions over a period of only 26 episodes. They didn't force people into leadership roles, Simon isn't the type of person who could run a city, and so we see that in the series.

Haruhi didn't have any of that, all it had was a bunch of tired cliches, and a bunch of characters with no character development in 26 episodes.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:

On the other hand, Slumdog Millionaire fully deserved that win. I was very happy. It played like a modern very dark fairytale and was gorgeous in just about every aspect of production, from the cinematography and art direction (love the scene where he's filling the tub with money) to that lovely, lovely soundtrack.

Yeah, I loved it too, but I don't know that it should have won Best Picture...hm. It's kind of a tough call. I mean Slumdog Millionaire was one of the movies that reminded me why I love film. The production aspects were striking, you're right, the editing was brilliant and while the story was very basic, I thought the writing was pretty good, too. It felt like a very "complete" movie, I felt very full walking out of the theater. Still, when I think "Best Picture," I think a movie that does all that and changes the dynamic if possible. A movie that does all that and then grabs people and shakes them. The Wrestler was a better choice by that logic, so I can see where the guys are coming from, which also explains their head-scratching over Chicago's win, because it's much the same kind of picture as Slumdog. But I wasn't crushed or anything, because I did like Slumdog. Eh. I know it only won all those awards because the agenda for the year was multiculturalism. Sometimes there are just trends to address for the hoity-toits on those committees. Rolling Eyes

Then again, I hated Benjamin Button, sooooo...yeah. Hated it. Overlong, oversaturated, and by the end it felt empty, like it wanted to have something spectacular to say after all that, but had only arrived at a pack of verisimilitudinous anecdotes with nothing behind them. Like every pretentious, awful French drama I've ever been forced to sit through but without the redeemable quirkiness. Blarf.

Charred Knight wrote:
Yuki isn't a parody of characters who ripoff Rei Ayanami, she's just a ripoff of Rei Ayanami. Mikuru isn't a parody of characters whose main purpose is fanservice, she's just a character whose main purpose is fanservice, Haruhi isn't a parody of tsundere, she's just an obnoxious not-so-nice-person whose antics I am supposed to find funny like Peter Griffin, and Homer Simpson.

Yeah, I agree with everything except the last sentence. Might want to find a different archetype to compare Haruhi to. But that's not a bad thing, is it? I mean, if you don't like it, you don't like it, but Haruhi's not a satire and I don't think it wants to be. It's a slightly irreverent celebration of the fandom, moe, all that jazz. That's why it resonates so well with otaku and does NOTHING for anyone else. Laughing Which is why I find this hilarious:

Quote:
When I hear "one of the greatest animes of all times" I want to see a series with a ton of depth, a rich variety of characters, excellent animation, and it does everything right.

Gurren Lagann did that, the characters felt like characters, you can see everyone's point of view, even though their where a ton of factions over a period of only 26 episodes. They didn't force people into leadership roles, Simon isn't the type of person who could run a city, and so we see that in the series.

...Gurren Lagann and Haruhi are the same kind of series, hate to break it to ya. Okay, Gurren Lagann has some success with digging into drama and Haruhi doesn't really, but even then, only some. The drama's pretty sophomoric. But both of these series are slightly self-aware celebrations of their genres instead of being satirical subversions of the genre. For Gurren Lagann it's mecha and shonen. ("BURST THROUGH TO THE HEAVENS WITH YOUR DRILL!" indeed...) For Haruhi Suzumiya, it's the fandom itself, specifically the Japanese fandom. Haruhi is every otaku's dream. Haruhi creates the world and the friends I think every stereotypical otaku would, and even if you don't fit that, you can certainly recognize it as you watch. Doesn't make it a satire, but it's just a little self-aware, as is Gurren Lagann in all its bombastic explosiveness and shoutouts to other Gainax legends. They're both ribbing their genres a little bit but mostly celebrating them very loudly.

For shojo, we have Ouran High School Host Club filling this role. Is that satire or even a true parody? No, not at all, but it has its ribbing moments. It's mostly a self-aware celebration of shojo. (And I love it for that as much as the previous two examples...okay, more than them. Ouran is a big personal favorite of mine.)

Now, a subversive, biting SATIRE of fandom would be Genshiken or Welcome to the NHK. A satire of shonen or mecha would be Neon Genesis Evangelion (and fandom as well.) A satire of shojo would be Revolutionary Girl Utena. I don't think there's been a real satire of moe yet, but if there is, I wanna see it.

Quote:
Haruhi didn't have any of that, all it had was a bunch of tired cliches, and a bunch of characters with no character development in 26 episodes.

A bunch of humorously subverted cliches, two characters that develop along with a bunch of stupid useless ones, and it ran for 14 episodes. (NO. Endless Eight does NOT exist.) <_<
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4