• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Holiday Special Part II

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:39 am Reply with quote
I'm impressed. They managed to talk about a decade of anime, for four hours, and not finish it off sobbing and drunk (I'm even more impressed that it didn't end up being the most boring anime podcast ever...).

I guess I do need to buy them some drinks.

-t
Case

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:49 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I guess I do need to buy them some drinks.

So we'll be expecting the sobbing and drunk in next week's episode then?

If the goal of the show from here on out is going to be getting Zac and Justin progressively more intoxicated until crazy shiat starts happening... consider this post my official recommendation of ANNtrashed as the new title of the show.

/Just throwin' ideas out there
//Seein' what sticks
///I'm here all week
Badkarma 1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Hey Tempest, first rounds on me those two earned it!
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm not too sure they weren't drunk - at least for Justin when he actually believed Zac saying Papawa was the stand out show of the year after Zac just said he was punchy. Zac's has been pretty loud and clear on what he thinks of that show, and I agree with him soooo much on his opinion on that show Cool , I'm not sure how Justin managed to miss the set up for that one unless he was starting to get a bit buzzed. So I think Justin and Zac simply weren't falling down drunk. Still, it was a good set of podcasts no matter what state these two were in toward the end (actually it got better as it went on so maybe the alcohol helped Wink ).

I really enjoyed these podcasts. Pt 2 reminded me of events I had almost forgotten as well as realizing how 2005 - 2007 kind of run together in my mind (while Zac says his bad year was 2007, mine for the 2000s was 2008 - so parts of that year I'm not sure I even was that aware of).
Prede

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:19 am Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
Well I'm not too sure they weren't drunk - at least for Justin when he actually believed Zac saying Papawa was the stand out show of the year after Zac just said he was punchy..

I think Justin was saying "Really?? " Meaning "You took all that time to set up that stupid little joke. it wasn't even funny". Although at first I thought he believed him as well. But I'm pretty sure this is the case.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:25 am Reply with quote
Prede wrote:

I think Justin was saying "Really?? " Meaning "You took all that time to set up that stupid little joke. it wasn't even funny". Although at first I thought he believed him as well. But I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Uh, I don't think he was trying to be quite that much of a rude dick about it but yeah basically he was shutting me down.

Justin and I have very different senses of humor.
Prede

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:05 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Prede wrote:

Uh, I don't think he was trying to be quite that much of a rude dick about it but yeah basically he was shutting me down.

Justin and I have very different senses of humor.

I thought it was kinda funny. But that was the impression I got from him. That he was trying to "shut you down" as you call it, not that he "believed you". No offense was meant by that. It was just hard for me to think of a way to write it. Sorry if you or Justin took it like that though.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:18 am Reply with quote
I wasn't drunk, but I was on the verge of getting a cold at the time, so I might as well have been.

If I'm to be completely honest, you're both right. He had me for the first "really?" and then realizing I was being dopey, I shifted into a shut-down. Skillz.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
I wasn't drunk, but I was on the verge of getting a cold at the time, so I might as well have been.

Well NyQuil can technically get you drunk, but that's another discussion . . . Razz Wink . I'd also like to mention that in the part that didn't get quoted I said you were getting buzzed so I didn't mean to imply anyone was flat out drunk (and other things can cause the same sort of thing to happen, such as a cold) [BTW, just how many smilies does one really have to toss in here for it to be clear I was teasing all three of you in a upbeat way? Embarassed ]

Quote:
If I'm to be completely honest, you're both right. He had me for the first "really?" and then realizing I was being dopey, I shifted into a shut-down. Skillz.

Hehehe - yeah, I thought you sounded serious there at first but then caught on, about a split second too late, that Zac was being humorous. In no way did I think anyone was trying to be rude - it's a podcast, not a message board. Hopefully tone of voice can help most of us what is going on, though I realize from real life that some people don't seem to be able to pick up on that part of "body language" (not sure what the actual term is for it).
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I think the decade can be summed up as the decade when companies tried to make money from a fan driven culture without stopping to think as to whether there was enough money there to support such an industry. While people had the money they bought anime, but when things went bad anime became one of the first things people stopped buying. They turned to fansubs instead.

In a way anime needs to become less popular and become more of a fan based culture. With anime commonplace people aren't as interested in trying to support it because they don't feel they need to. Companies tried to make anime mainstream, and it was for a short while, but in the long run it's like making an industry out of foreign films.

Of course some of the crash simply has to do with the anime companies themselves creating shows that don't appeal to the fans and greatly over estimating how big the NA anime market really was. Greed did more damage than fansubs. And flooding the market with enough anime in a single year that could take a fan a decade to go through doesn't help.

It will be interesting to see how things things work out with the online distribution. The non-Japanese anime community may just not be big enough to really support anything else for a while.
Prede

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:41 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
I think the decade can be summed up as the decade when companies tried to make money from a fan driven culture without stopping to think as to whether there was enough money there to support such an industry. While people had the money they bought anime, but when things went bad anime became one of the first things people stopped buying. They turned to fansubs instead.

Not True.

The anime industry started to tank long before the worldwide financial crisis/current economic problems. The industry started to fall off a cliff by 2005, and in 2006 it was clear we were heading toward disaster. CPM almost went under in 2006 and were clearly in bad shape, Geneon took a big hit from Musicland , all the other companies were hurt by that as well. DVD sales start to fall, and kept falling around this time. 2007 was a very painful year on the US side of things as well, even worse. 2008 was pretty terrible too, but IMO it started to get a little better toward the end. It stayed kinda sucky all through 08 though, only recently kinda stabilizing in 09. But as Zac and Justin so bluntly put it, "the industry may be in the hospital now, alive and kicking. But it won't ever look the same."

Here's my disturbing imagery for yah: Wink It's face is horribly messed up, and it's kinda bruised a lot. But hey it's alive, and it's on the long road of recovery. But it will never be the star althete again. But let's hope it can at least can walk in a few years Wink .

The financial crisis/ economic problems etc etc started around late 2007, but really most people would claim they started feeling it much later. A better time to judge this really getting into full motion is Summer/Fall 2008. LONG after the anime industry was already in shambles. Now did the crap economy hurt anime sales? Well probally, I'd bet on it hurting it at least a little. But they certainly didn't cause the problems. And that's not why people started to look for other ways to watch their stuff, illegal or whatever. People started fansubing/quit buying long before this current stuff. Around 2005 is when fansubs really started to take off. It became way to easy for people to just watch stuff illegally. Why buy somethign when you can watch it for free? And with every year sense, it just got easier. Yes there were lots of stuff before then, but it was never as big. So people quit paying for their anime long before they stopped having money Wink .
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:

The anime industry started to tank long before the worldwide financial crisis/current economic problems. The industry started to fall off a cliff by 2005, and in 2006 it was clear we were heading toward disaster. CPM almost went under in 2006 and were clearly in bad shape, Geneon took a big hit from Musicland , all the other companies were hurt by that as well. DVD sales start to fall, and kept falling around this time.

Well, in a way it can be argued that the anime industry was ahead of the curve. That is because of the internetz. I think almost everyone failed to take into account just how powerful it is--I mean, even books are going digital now. My dad preached to our reporter friends for years about how newspapers were going to go out of business but they all stayed in denial until now. And I firmly believe that in the next few decades if people are still paying 50 grand a year to go to college it'll be for the name and nothing else--you'll be able to get a better education online, and for so much less (too bad that isn't my generation Anime cry).

Of course, the internet can in no way be responsible for the current economic crisis (that would be years of deregulation by both Bush and Clinton, as well as the subprime mortgage crisis and the credit default swap shenanigans...and all-around greed) but it's certainly adding a lot more fuel to the fire because the internet completely cuts out the middle man, causing job loss and industry collapse (if I'm right I believe Blockbusters and such are disappearing because of streaming and Netflix).

So it's almost like the anime industry went backwards; the internet wounded it and the state of our economy is the finishing blow. Our financial crisis was caused by bad economic decisions and then crippled further by the internet. Not that I don't think the North American anime industry can't be salvaged...it just needs to move to streaming and distributors have to figure out how to protect against ye olde pirates.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:45 am Reply with quote
You raise some good point but even still, it's not quite that simple. While embracing the internet earlier may have significantly softened the blow, it seems better described as a missed solution that an actual problem itself. A big part of the collapse was due to companies total misunderstanding of their sales potential. By the time things started to collapse companies were putting out so much stuff that had no business being licensed and paying amounts for it that virtually guaranteed it would never turn a profit. I guess they all expected anime to just keep on growing the way it had been. The problem is though that it didn't. The opposite in fact. It kind of peaked and if anything it began to lose popularity as the novelty wore off. There was still a market for it for sure. But the way companies were operating, there was no profit. At that point I really don't think things could have worked even if they did embrace the internet. Then as you've said, other factors came into play. The piracy problem only continued to get worse and eventually reached the point were changing the distribution model was absolutely necessary. Really though, it was a pretty major mess all around with many factors playing a role.
qollocust

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
What a great couple of shows. I love strolling down memory lane. I definitely could relate more to the info in the first half since 2005 was about the time that I started to take a break from the fandom. I also started watching fewer and fewer new shows around that time. Still it was nice to see what was going on during those years that I wasn't paying attention to the industry.

Hope everyone enjoys the next 10 years of anime!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4