• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: Theron and Carl's Best (and Most Notable) of 2009

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belindabird
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Lots of great picks here and it's heartening to know that there are at least some quality titles still being released even in these lean times (thank goodness for legal streaming for some of the more niche stuff).

I'm sad that there's not much love for the ending of Aoi Hana, though, or at least I get the feeling from some corners that it detracted from an otherwise great series. While it's a series that I would like to see continued, I feel like the ending really summed up the point of the show, which wasn't about the culmination of a romance, but more about the development of Fumi's character and her eventually realizing the true nature of her feelings. In that way it's very similar to its timeslot predecessor, Ristorante Paradiso, which focuses not on the romance of its two main characters, but the two of them struggling with and eventually working through the foremost emotional problems they face, which allows them to be emotionally available to begin a relationship. But I suppose it's a matter of perception, as in all things. I'm not as put off by open-endedness as many people are, I feel like.
driverstart

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I just bought Baccano! Complete Set and I should really start watching it after hearing what you all had to say about it.

Question is, will there be an article about the worst and most terrible anime to hit America this year? That would be very interesting to hear.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:35 pm Reply with quote
good stuff, guys... most of it I haven't actually seen yet. And that was kinda the one thing that makes sense but doesn't that you said...

you don't even have time to watch it all. I guess maybe that's a good thing ultimately from the standpoint of output. It's also why in the universe of output that can be seen, and the alternate universe of output that can't be seen er, legally... there is SO MUCH, I can't figure out why people get so wrapped around the axle about what they like, or recommend. "I can't believe you like Xtitle, it was the worst thing EVAR!"

I appreciate all the work, even though I may disagree sometimes with what is said. It's not like it's a commandment or anything... right?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I always find these lists weird, because * of the year means that it initially came out in that year, yet these are clearly only for officially sanctioned legal releases, some of which are already getting pretty old in their years already. So with that, it's kind of odd to be comparing things from many different true release years.

Toradora itself was a 2008 anime for sure though. I wonder how it would play out if the lead female wasn't played by Rie. I love her when she doesn't do these annoying roles.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Everyone forgets Sword Of The Stranger, huh? One of the best dubs I've seen in recent memory (and definately Ocean's highlight of the year), in a highly enjoyable film that's more complete, and satisfying then Eva.

As for Pretty Cure, FUNimation doesn't technically have the license, they have streaming rights. Toei USA still has everything else. The dub that will return to YTV on January 12 in Canada is a Blue Water dub paid for by Toei.

Last edited by Primus on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand how anybody can like Erin and not like Guardian of the Spirit. Both series are so extremely similar in many aspects (pacing, "realistic fantasy" (no magic, but magical creatures), setting based on real (japanese) history, impact of knowledge that gets lost through time,...). If anything Erin should be harder to like, because of it occasional childishness.
But I was so sure that everybody who liked Erin would also like Guardian of the Spirit and vice versa there is at least a good chance too (Erin only requires even more patience than Guardian and said tolerance for childishness).

Erin was among the best series of the year 2009 in Japan for sure.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I actually agree with a lot of the choices this year, although this list reminds me that I seriously need to finish Moribito (AS just really kept me guessing there but I loved what I did see and the books are quite good as well). Also glad to see all the Spice & Wolf and Baccano love, both of those shows can be really hit or miss so it's great to see more people talking about them. Totally agree with the death scenes too, completely different but the biggest impact death scenes I've ever seen (heck, the one in Erin is the most depressing one I've ever seen and most fans now tell people "watch until episode seven, THEN you can't stop").

Quote:
Am I an idiot for thinking that maybe someone somewhere is eyeballing Den-noh Coil and Lovely Complex and saying to themselves "well, why not?"

YES, THIS! I want Den-noh Coil in the US so much, that and half a dozen other shows of course, but since that came out back in 2007 I'm really holding my breath on it. And even though I didn't like Toradora when I first saw it I would be stunned if it wasn't on Funi's roilout riot next week....
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Way to weasel Dennou Coil and Lovely Complex into the '09 capstone there, Carl! Smile I'm still scratching my head as for why neither of these have seen an R1 license.

Having just re-watched Toradora! over break, I'm gnashing my teeth over the lack of a license. I'd buy them sight unseen if only someone would be good enough to release a couple of half-season sets.
zcooldoc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this review, though I do not agree with all of it.
Nana for me was a bit annoying... it reminded me of a girl I once dated... not a good experience Wink
As for Honey and clover, I am glad it was recognized, I was quite surprised by how much I liked it. It is certainly one of the best of this year. Moribito is my second favorite anime this year, it is smart, beautifully made and has a great dub.
My only surprise is the fact that no one seems to mention anything about an anime that I think was a masterpiece Xamd's lost memory.
I am hoping it will be licensed soon whether in US/France or Italy. I just want an audio tract that I understand ... the series is so beautiful I really do not want to miss on anything while reading.

So funimation if you reading this please get Xam'd Smile oh, and the 2nd season of XXXholic will be great too! (I finally got that out of my chest Wink
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I always find these lists weird, because * of the year means that it initially came out in that year, yet these are clearly only for officially sanctioned legal releases, some of which are already getting pretty old in their years already. So with that, it's kind of odd to be comparing things from many different true release years.

Toradora itself was a 2008 anime for sure though.

That's not how we're defining it here. I thought we made that quite clear in The Standards section. And Toradora! qualifies because its second half came out in 2009.

Primus wrote:
Everyone forgets Sword Of The Stranger, huh? One of the best dubs I've seen in recent memory (and definately Ocean's highlight of the year), in a highly enjoyable film that's more complete, and satisfying then Eva.

No, I actually saw this one in a theater, but just wasn't terribly impressed by it. Really, all it has going for it are a lot of flashy swordfights, and the Evangelion movie can match that with the intensity of its action sequences.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Living Fossil: Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu

Carl: When I first saw this series on Crunchyroll I couldn't believe my eyes. Here, right before me was a beast I thought extinct years ago: the straight-up shonen romance, complete with dull, impossibly nice male lead and dumb fan-service jokes. And all of it presented without even a whiff of irony. It was like I was back at the turn of the millennium watching Love Hina again. Except with my hormones under control and a decade of romantic dreck under my belt. I almost enjoyed myself. After all, I love archaeology.
Really, "with irony" is about the only way to enjoy this franchise. Can you predict what's really going on every time an "Innocent Innuendo" scene comes up? Can you count down the seconds until Haruka and Yuuto's kiss gets interrupted, again? And by whom? So, is the show complete predictable, harem/moe/romcom fluff? Yes. Would I watch a third season? Yes.

I saw Haruka Nogizaka's Secret* as more of a targeted otaku wish-fulfillment fantasy than a straight-up shounen romance, though. Normally the male lead in a show like this would be the audience self-identification stand-in. But in this case, it's Haruka. The real wish-fulfillment isn't "be surrounded by and get into compromising situations with attractive girls," it's "have someone like, accept, and not ridicule you for your deviant interests." For all the first season's flaws, it at least accomplished the one goal of realizing that fantasy. Too bad the second season completely forgot about Haruka's otaku secrets. It should've been called "Haruka Nogizaka is Hot and Rich and There's This Guy Who Kind of Likes Her, Plus She has a Combat Maid Team Like Every Other Anime Rich Girl ~Purezza~". But that would've been too wordy, even by Japanese standards.

*Imo there's no excuse for fansubbers/CR to leave such a simple, straightforward title untranslated Rolling Eyes
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty much nodding my head to most of the selections, but Theron lost me at Valkyria Chronicles for hidden gem. I concede the 2nd half is miles above the first, but that only bumps it up to "ok" in my book.
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Ouran High School Host Club come out this year? The second half, anyway. Sorry, but Caitlin Glass blows everyone out of the water with her interpretation of Haruhi.

Also I don't understand the "Harry Potter Award for Anal Faithfulness" category. Especially with the way they veer off badly after Prisoner of Az. Lord of the Rings might be more appropriate....
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
KrisEllieOphi wrote:
Also I don't understand the "Harry Potter Award for Anal Faithfulness" category. Especially with the way they veer off badly after Prisoner of Az. Lord of the Rings might be more appropriate....

No, the Jackson The Lord of the Rings movies were altered from the books quite a bit, in order to get them to fit into nine hours of cinema. Plus Tolkien's style can be kind of weird. Whereas the first Harry Potter movie was so close to the book I wondered why I even bothered to pay the $14.50 to see it.

I've got to say, Valkyria Chronicles was not a great Anime, or even a good Anime for that matter. I kind of regret wasting my time on it. I can't see why Key would even think of including it, as there are plenty of titles that outshone it.

I will never ever understand why Toradora! is considered so popular. To me it was painfully generic, another by-the-book RomCom, only it wasn't funny at all, and the Romance wasn't plausible. Kimi ni Todoke blows it so far out of the water that the dude narrowly avoided hitting the Hubble Space Telescope, and I think I saw on the news that Taiga became the first female to crash into set foot on the moon.

I really do have to see at least a little bit of NANA, if only to find out what all the fuss is about. Guess it will have to wait until after my UC Gundam long marathon is finished in about two weeks or so.

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Hey [Refers to Codes Geass R2]spoiler[ Lelouch's death in which he looks like the pope, dies by a sword that looks like it was made with Plastic and should light up, and died for no apparent reason while commiting genocide for even less of a reason] was considered not only good but apparently the best death scene in 2009. I know 2008 was a crappy year for anime, but it wasn't that crappy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8