• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! 2010 SUPER EDITION

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:25 am Reply with quote
J-Head wrote:
I find those who insist on calling films by their non-English title annoying at times (I'm tired of fangirls screaming about Kuroshitsuji..."Oh, you mean Black Butler?"), but don't treat the question-poser as one of those people.
Having spent a good lot of this past evening trying to track down non-bootleg Sebastian figures (not much luck, btw) I have to comment that almost all are listed under, you guessed it, Kuroshitsuji and not Black Butler. So in all fairness, when one's learned to call something by a certain name sometimes it's really hard to shake that, especially when it's not being reinforced by other fans/vendors/etc. It's usually just a matter of how people are introduced to a title. If it's already in English, great, but if not I usually stick with whatever I first become familiar with through the forums I frequent.*

The To-Love-Ru issue though seems a bit trickier because of the wordplay involved. I think I would avoid any situation where I had to say it outloud (fortunately not difficult for me).

*Besides, what if someone thinks you're talking about Benson? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
giascle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:33 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
So in all fairness, when one's learned to call something by a certain name sometimes it's really hard to shake that, especially when it's not being reinforced by other fans/vendors/etc. It's usually just a matter of how people are introduced to a title. If it's already in English, great, but if not I usually stick with whatever I first become familiar with through the forums I frequent.

This. I know Higurashi is licensed as When they Cry, but I've always despised that translation, and just call it Higurashi. Conversely, it's far easier to remember Fullmetal Alchemist than Hagane no Renkinjutsushi. It comes down to a balance between which sounds better, and which is commonly being used.

As for To-Love-Ru, the pun makes no sense in English, so just say it as it's read.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:08 am Reply with quote
The anime v. cartoons argument always reminds me of a TV on the street interview wondering why British TV shows (mostly the ones shown on PBS like Mystery!, Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, Sharp's Rifles, I, Claudius, and the like) are so much better than American TV shows. To which the English people being queried explained that only the best of the best English shows are exported to the US, and most English shows are so bad that they make mediocre American television look great. Hence the popularity of Baywatch worldwide. I suspect the same schism applies to anime. Has anyone watched all of the tens of thousands of titles listed here in ANN? Only a relative handful have been reviewed. I would venture a guess that the larger portion of all this anime might not be considered worth a second glance, if even a first. Only the best anime gets imported, remember. I doubt there are a lot of Nipponese viewers watching old Huckleberry Hound cartoons on Saturday morning. Or Scooby-Doo, for that matter.
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:12 am Reply with quote
giascle wrote:
I know Higurashi is licensed as When they Cry, but I've always despised that translation

Well, from what I see on the japanese books etc. that english title is already on them, so probably the japanese creators invented it. (I think it's a fine title btw ^^ )

Quote:
It comes down to a balance between which sounds better, and which is commonly being used.

+ which you can pronounce. I don't mind people using japanese titles if they want to ... I do mind if they don't know how to pronounce them though Anime hyper Fortunately on the internet that's no problem ^^
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:27 am Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
Only the best anime gets imported, remember.

Nope, only the most marketable or just plain the anime that can be licensed. Robot Carnival, Galaxy Express 999, Space Pirate Captain Harlock, Future Boy Conan, Anne of Green Gables and Layzner are some of the best anime I've seen and although some of these were shown in some European and/or Middle Eastern countries or released as VHS, there really isn't any current official English language releases for those (I don't count region restricted streams).
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:13 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

What about when they're making a mess of the word, like the bizarre pronounciation of "eureka" in Eureka 7 which was even imposed on the dub? I certainly refuse to use it.

The bizarre pronunciation here is the standard English one, mainly because of English's totally nonsensical orthography. In just about any other language written with the latin alphabet (and the original greek word), "eureka" would be pronounced far more similarly to the Japanese pronunciation in Eureka 7. For example the Spanish pronunciation of the word is nearly identical to the Japanese.

That said, they probably should have just have kept the standard English pronunciation of the word in the dub, if only because it's the pronunciation most would expect to hear.
Dante80

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
Only the best anime gets imported, remember

Nope, there is a difference (a subtle one though) between "the best" and "most marketable". One can argue that if a show (made to produce money) can't make money, then its not a good show anyway. But that point can be easily shot down, if you factor in some of the reasons certain shows can't make money (even in their country of origin)...Wink
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
because of English's totally nonsensical orthography.

You mean it has a nonsensical pronunciation or rather the orthography wasn't adapted to what is called the great vowel shift.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:18 am Reply with quote
In terms of the Japanese vs. English titles, I prefer the English titles almost always, and do get a little irritated if talking and someone uses the Japanese title. There are exceptions, such as When They Cry/Higurashi, since the Japanese title was also included with the English title on the DVD and manga covers, so people who only buy DVDs/manga and never download know what they're talking about when they hear "Higurashi". Granted, I prefer the English, since "When They Cry" is actually relevant to the show and seeing the English subtitles to the OP immediately allows it to make sense in context, whereas I'd have to pay pretty close attention to make sense of "Higurashi" by remembering both the English and Japanese subtitles for the OP being played at separate times.

I'm fine with either Case Closed or Detective Conan, since the latter has the main character's name so hardly any confusion there. Not so much on the FMA and Haruhi's Japanese titles. Haruhi isn't quite as bad, since it does have her name in it, but I consider the "Melancholy" part to be fairly important, and FMA's Japanese title is misleading for obvious reasons.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:18 am Reply with quote
yuricon wrote:

Your understanding of josei puzzles me a bit. Josei sells REALLY well in Japan, where manga is a fact of life for most magazines, including regular women's mags. BL is a subset of josei, remember. Just like Twilight, Ladies Comics and Josei magazines sell well to to younger and older women.

And again, I don't know what you're reading, but most josei I read is pretty realistic, in a manga-y kind of way, like Suppli. Think soap operas - realistic-ish, heavy of the drama. Stories that are way less fantasy fulfillment than Death Note.

You certainly helped clear things up for me - I had always been under the impression that josei was quite popular in Japan. I agree with the answerfans response that it could do well here, though I think that the fact that more women are supporting themselves could help, not hinder, sales. Using myself and my sisters as examples, we are all single women with no one to support but ourselves and our cats (and dogs, in my case:)) with the disposable income to spend on books. We are ten years gone from high school and while we still enjoy shoujo romances, they don't really have any relevance anymore. Titles like Kimi wa Pet (or Tramps Like Us, just so I don't spark any debate there),Suppli, and even The Name of the Flower (which I know is technically shoujo, but the heroine's not in high school) are much more interesting and relevant. And we don't have to rely on Mom and Dad to pay for our books - as single working women, we can buy them ourselves without worrying about school lunch. Now, maybe the fact that I live in Northern, rural, New England is a factor here - perhaps things aren't the same for a self-supporting woman in a big city, though I'd assume pay would keep up with living costs. But I really feel that too many publishers are overlooking a good market.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:
because of English's totally nonsensical orthography.

You mean it has a nonsensical pronunciation or rather the orthography wasn't adapted to what is called the great vowel shift.

It's not just the vowels being a mess, it's the consonants as well. The "ghoti" (fish) example is pretty representative of a broken orthography. There are 5 written vowels, but around 15 actual vowel sounds in English. There are more consonants than exist in written form as well, yet we have written consonants that are totally superfluous in terms of actual use (c, x). Between the vowel shift you mentioned, Norman introduction of French spellings, and thousands of loan words borrowed from just about every language, it's a bit of a mess that makes learning written English difficult for non-native speakers - certainly the Japanese never seem to get a handle on it.
RDespair

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:10 am Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:
In North America it's not far from "main stream" considering how many people watched it on Adult Swim back in "the day."

That's my point. Setting aside quality, if its biggest claim to fame was that it was popular on Adult Swim for a while, it's not mainstream. Adult Swim is about as niche as they come.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I remember a discussion in the forum about it, and some reasons made sense, since people would rather see them live than in a cartoon, but oddly enough, down here, in South America, sports anime is pretty popular. Especially if it has football (it's not called soccer, for crying out loud!) in it.

It is called soccer. To distinguish it from rugger. Do you have only one form of football in your country?

On another subthread, I try to accept any of the various names given anime series, English or Japanese, as synonyms, but use the English (since I don't speak Japanese) except in cases like Urusei Yatsura, where the pun doesn't translate well, or if the English name has been associated with a particularly extreme case of localization.

Finally, I would say that late-night cable television like Adult Swim is fairly niche, but not as much as it used to be, given the decline of broadcast television. There are a lot of more extreme niches, such as local-to-Hawaii-or-Southern-California-only, for example.
sena_h_dei

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Ocean Studios is a Canadian company, not American. (Yes, I know we're part of North America, but American is commonly accepted to mean the USA, not North America as a whole. Just sayin.)

I'm also glad someone else mentioned reasons for dubs. The sight impaired is a good reason, and dyslexia is one I'd like to mention. Some people simply CAN NOT keep up with subtitles.
Jih2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote
RDespair wrote:
Jih2 wrote:
In North America it's not far from "main stream" considering how many people watched it on Adult Swim back in "the day."

That's my point. Setting aside quality, if its biggest claim to fame was that it was popular on Adult Swim for a while, it's not mainstream. Adult Swim is about as niche as they come.

Yes, it did not explode into popularity and I'm not typing this on a FLCL special edition Mac laptop but it did get consumed by a ton of people who weren't just anime fans. People who are now about 17-21 will probably still know what this is.

Adult Swim as niche as they come? I point to Family Guy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8