• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Kiki's Delivery Service from Disney

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:54 am Reply with quote
thecactusman17 wrote:
What Disney really needs to do, IMO, is go back to creating original films and adapting classic stories into film like they became famous for. Instead, they've been rehashing tired old series (Mulan is the most recent completed example) and now they are going to recreate the work of one of the most influential animation directors alive for some more fast cash.

Mulan was a tired old series? From what I could tell, the movie was another adaption of a classic story, and IMO, the last good movie Disney itself has done. (Pixar has been doing the rest of the good movies since then.)
LordRobin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:04 am Reply with quote
Hi no Neko wrote:
My only question is what will they do with Jiji?

Well, Jiji's the mascot. If the current trend of talking animal mascots continues, Jiji will be a hip-hop street-talkin' feline with attitude and sass. He'll snap his paw and say "You go girl!" And my palms will be bleeding from clenching my fists every time the commercial comes on TV.

Hey, why not let Eddie Murphy play him? He's already kept me away from Mulan and both Shrek movies.

------RM
minakichan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:06 am Reply with quote
PEOPLES. This Disney version has nothing at all to do with Miyazaki. Not point AT ALL to compare them. Think of it as an entirely different project.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
PEOPLES. This Disney version has nothing at all to do with Miyazaki. Not point AT ALL to compare them. Think of it as an entirely different project.

Well seeing how Disney is releasing all of Miyazki's movies here, and that they only discovered the book through Miyazaki's movie, I would think we could easily come to the conclusion of what Disney is trying to cash off of now. Heck, if they weren't trashing all their 2D animators, they'd probably be trying to make a sequel off the title like everything else in their "vault". I just will happily try to think that no animator with honor would try to attempt such a sequel. So instead, Disney is going live action.
Sketchee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:08 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Well seeing how Disney is releasing all of Miyazki's movies here, and that they only discovered the book through Miyazaki's movie, I would think we could easily come to the conclusion of what Disney is trying to cash off of now.

Is this an assumption or is there a source that says they discovered the book through the movie?
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm. This could actually work. It's going to be based on the books and not the movie so maybe this could really work. Plus this might also inspire people to see the original movie and then they might check out Miyazaki's other movies.
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:03 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I guess they weren't satisfied with bastardizing Narnia and Hitchhiker's Guide.

Are you kidding me? I'm so hyped for Hitchhiker's Guide! When I was watching the teaser while waiting for "The Life Aquatic", when the earth went boom and "DON'T PANIC" flashed on the screen, I squealed like an insane schoolgirl. I'm sooo bringing my towel to the theater for this one... 'because I'm a frood who knows where his towel is! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Um... has anyone read the Kadano stories...?

Next, read Howl's Moving Castle and then go see the movie.

Widya Santoso
--
"What, Howl's Moving Castle is a book?"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:57 pm Reply with quote
ferrarimanf355 wrote:
GATSU wrote:
I guess they weren't satisfied with bastardizing Narnia and Hitchhiker's Guide.

Are you kidding me? I'm so hyped for Hitchhiker's Guide! When I was watching the teaser while waiting for "The Life Aquatic", when the earth went boom and "DON'T PANIC" flashed on the screen, I squealed like an insane schoolgirl. I'm sooo bringing my towel to the theater for this one... 'because I'm a frood who knows where his towel is! Wink

Yeah, but....Mos Def?

The only two people I like in the cast are Warwick Davis and Sam Rockwell. I don't know if I'd like Warwick Davis as Marvin though. And I've only seen Sam Rockwell in Galaxy Quest. But he was really funny in it.
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:02 pm Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:
Yeah, but....Mos Def?

Yeah, I can't see Mos Def as Ford Prefect. Still, that's the only questionable call that was made about it. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ranmah

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:00 am Reply with quote
I'm a little skeptical that Disney will do a good job. I don't think Disney had an original idea since "The Black Cauldron" or "TRON."

I'm biased because Disney laid off a lot of talented Animators.

I haven't read the original books so I don't know the original plot. As long as they are faithful with the book.

My teachers union has about 1% stock in Disney. So we have a small voice in this company.

Ranmah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:11 am Reply with quote
Ranmah wrote:

My teachers union has about 1% stock in Disney. So we have a small voice in this company.

Ranmah

Which doesn't mean **** in the big picture.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:46 am Reply with quote
Yes well at least we can put a rusty tack in Eisner's butt Very Happy Twisted Evil Very Happy

Ranmah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:49 am Reply with quote
Ranmah wrote:
I'm a little skeptical that Disney will do a good job. I don't think Disney had an original idea since "The Black Cauldron"

Black Cauldron was based on a book that at the time was from a rather popular fantasy series.
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Lloyd Alexander wrote the series of novels IIRC. Disney's adaption was awful-- which is a bad sign if they're going by the original JP novel Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4