• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Sugar and Spice

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anok Panda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Do yourself a favor and see Takeshi Kitano's version of Zatoichi. To sum up how much it rules, the last 5 -10 minutes is a spectacular music and dance review. Being a Zatoichi and Takeshi Kitano I thought it was the greatest.
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

To be honest, a lot of these complainers simply aren't paying attention.

This is the third review of Spice and Wolf we've run on the site. A few weeks ago I ran Theron Martin's review, which was an unqualified rave, and he still took shit for doing one thing or another "wrong". There are a lot of people who think their personal likes and dislikes are what every publication should adhere to as an editorial standard.

It's not only that though, but the fact that a lot of people on this site don't know how to disagree with someone's opinion in a non-hostile manner.
Contrary to what people may claim, you, and the other people writing articles on this site are reasonable people, and have no problem if someone has a differing opinion. However, a good chunk of people on this site can't disagree with an opinion in a civilized manner. Either that, or they don't realize how rude they're being when they accuse a reviewer of a) not watching the show b) not 'getting' the show, or c) being flat-out wrong, because they didn't like certain aspects of a show.
I think you summed it up best with your review of Clannad Afterstory. It's pretty sad that anime fans are so sensitive, and lacking in a sense of humour, that they can't accept that someone might not agree with them 100%.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
Maybe this is moot and it kind of comes back to the nature of reviewing but what do you do with other shows of this nature? Maybe Spice&Wolf is even more niche, but I'm thinking of things like Mushi-shi or Planetes which, let's face it, have limited appeal as opposed to "blockbusters" like FMA or Death Note. Would you make those shelf-worthy because you appreciate the quality, or only because a show clicked with you? I guess what I'm asking is, to what extent does objective (as much as it can be) quality play into your ratings system?

Here's how I explained it in my second column:

Quote:
I believe very strongly in the "Shelf Worthy" rating system. When it comes to buying anime, unless there's a very good sale and/or I'm working a very lucrative job, I usually ask myself, "Would I watch this again?" or "Would I loan this to a friend?" If the answer to one of those questions is yes, I'll buy the series. Otherwise, I'd rather stream it, rent it, or watch the broadcast.

In answer to your question:

Mushi-shi - Haven't watched it yet.
Planetes - Shelf Worthy.
FMA - Shelf Worthy depending on the release (complete box?).
Death Note - Rental Shelf, even the manga starts sucking half-way through.

What do you mean by "objective quality"? Like, was the animation quality good? Was the plot great? How was the character design and the dialog? Was this a bare bones DVD release, or did it have good extras and a dub?

All of the above could be true, but if I hate the main character and I ask myself "Would I watch this again?" and the answer is "No" it's not Shelf Worthy. We're not living in the laser disc era anymore, you can try before you buy.

Anok Panda wrote:
Do yourself a favor and see Takeshi Kitano's version of Zatoichi. To sum up how much it rules, the last 5 -10 minutes is a spectacular music and dance review. Being a Zatoichi and Takeshi Kitano I thought it was the greatest.

My friends who saw that absolutely loathed the musical number... I'd probably still rent it, though.
Baltimoron

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:37 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
My friends who saw that absolutely loathed the musical number... I'd probably still rent it, though.

Your friends were right. Kitano's take on the character/franchise had its moments, but the movie wasn't what anyone was hoping for.

I'll still be buying Ichi despite your rental recommendation. Most likely I'll end up agreeing with your review, but I'm a nut for samurai flicks and I'd like to help minimize what are likely to be sizeable losses for Funimation on this release. Animeigo seems to be the only company able to turn a profit on the stuff and the key to their success looks to be licensing old movies for (likely) peanuts. Paying real money for R1 licenses of active properties is a losing investment when there's no audience for the material.

-------

Alec, I'm going to sell your collection and pay my student loans. Seriously. Lock your doors. I'm coming for you.

In the night.
DrunkMurray

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:09 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
This is the third review of Spice and Wolf we've run on the site. A few weeks ago I ran Theron Martin's review, which was an unqualified rave, and he still took shit for doing one thing or another "wrong". There are a lot of people who think their personal likes and dislikes are what every publication should adhere to as an editorial standard.

Did they now? Were the negative comments pruned because the thread for that review is pretty much nothing but positives.

At any rate I do see your point, you can never please everyone and it's useless to try.
Wooga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:18 am Reply with quote
Where do people get those laser engraved box sets? Like the Speed Grapher one?
Seljuk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
To be honest, a lot of these complainers simply aren't paying attention.

Erin doesn't need a counterpoint on a site that publishes 4 other critics daily and covers pretty much everything she does in a longer format.

Counterpoint is fine. It would just bother me a lot less if her review looked like one and not like every other Spice & Wolf troll. Called it furry? Check. loleconomics is boring? Check. Tsundere? Check.

First paragraph is obvious flame bait. Followed by two paragraphs of synopsis, and then four barely related tangential paragraphs which are OBVIOUS bait to anyone who has been around the anime scene for more than, I don't know, six months? Admitting to dropping terms without knowing what they mean? Really comes off as not being professional, or much of a fan. The last paragraph is the most review-like part, thank god.

Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but the way the article was written, best case scenario seems like careless writing. Sorry, but that's my honest opinion.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:18 pm Reply with quote
ROFL. 9 pages later and people are still quibbling over the word "tsundere". See what I mean when I say it's a term that's more trouble than it's worth?

Moreover, think about how much time we've wasted over something so TRIVIAL. If we didn't have the word to throw around we'd actually be talking about the content of the show itself, instead of whether or not Holo is Horo is tsundere.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
ROFL. 9 pages later and people are still quibbling over the word "tsundere". See what I mean when I say it's a term that's more trouble than it's worth?

No kidding.
I mentioned this argument to someone I know who then tried to explain the word (becuase I've frankly never cared about labeling of this sort) & she got into yandare or some such which I've vaguely heard of, but never cared about. Basically Naru/Love Hina is tsundere & Cho Hakkai/Saiyuki is the other one
I've enjoyed Saiyuki all this time without worrying about who's what. I loved the Love Hina manga & never knew the word back then.
It really doesn't matter. My daughter loves to disagree with my ideas. So what? I have a much more broad view where if a character is a little bit, I might consider them that because to me that the archtype the character was developed off. I know damn well Gundam isn't harem, but Wing, Seed & 00 seem to try to draw on that base to broaden their appeal to viewers. They're still Gundam, but with pretty boys & girls to drool over.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Awesome shelves man! This guy proves you can have quality and quantity. I hate seeing a huge collection filled with junk bargain titles no one would watch. I aspire to have a collection like yours someday.
grapeofdeath

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
Where do people get those laser engraved box sets? Like the Speed Grapher one?

When you said it was laser engraved I thought it might be one of Paul Champagne's creations. But looking at it, it's just the one released by Funimation:
http://www.invelos.com/onlinecollections/dvd/InBlue/DVD.aspx?U=704400087004

I did notice there are several R2 and R4 artboxes in the collection as well. Sometimes that's the only way to obtain one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:

Moreover, think about how much time we've wasted over something so TRIVIAL. If we didn't have the word to throw around we'd actually be talking about the content of the show itself, instead of whether or not Holo is Horo is tsundere.

I wholeheartedly agree.

I love ANN's reviews, even the ones I disagree with, but maybe it's best to stay away from the hot button terms. The fans can't even agree which apply to what, it's best the professional reviewers don't even bother.

Then again, the readers needn't be so sensitive about it, either. It's all in good fun. It's a cartoon review, not a report in the New England Journal of Medicine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Then again, the readers needn't be so sensitive about it, either. It's all in good fun. It's a cartoon review, not a report in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Is this really coming from the guy who bashes anything English Dragonball Z related and seems to be personally offended when people say they like the Funi Dub the best?

I actually don't mind people complaining about an anime review on an anime site. Now, if they were complaining about this in a face to face conversation as adamantly as they do on the internet, then it's something to roll your eyes about. But as long as it stays on the web, I don't care. Of course, people could be more polite, but that's too much to ask for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I love ANN's reviews, even the ones I disagree with, but maybe it's best to stay away from the hot button terms. The fans can't even agree which apply to what, it's best the professional reviewers don't even bother.

I like your New England Journal of Medicine comparison! Seriously... I didn't know there was so much controversy raging over that word. Perhaps you (or someone else) would like to provide a list of all the other hot button words I should avoid. Then we will have established the ANN forums version of Newspeak and all my reviews will be the anime fan version of politically correct. (I was going to say the "otaku version" but who knows what "otaku" means subjectively, this week, to every forum member?)
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Perhaps you (or someone else) would like to provide a list of all the other hot button words I should avoid. Then we will have established the ANN forums version of Newspeak and all my reviews will be the anime fan version of politically correct.

Off the top of my head:
Tsundere
Moe
Loli/Pedo-bait
The phrase: "The dub is better" (everyone in this forum knows Japanese)
Parody

There are tons more I'm sure, but this all I've got for now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11