• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - From the Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
sfried wrote:
Ranma824 wrote:
I don't give a #$@& what Americans want in their RPG.

I know what *I* want, and it's nothing Western companies will ever give me. I will be more then happy for JRPGs to remain a small tangent in the american market; with only a handful of publishers catering to this audience.
It is erroneous of you to think that America = all of Western development. Such pithy generalizations make me want to CRUSH YOUR KIND, you #$@& American!

No one even implied that America = all of Western development. The only wild generalizations were that the North American audience = the American audience, and that there no other RPG developers other than "Japan" and "the West". On the first point, are there enough Canadian and Mexican gamers, and are their tastes so different from Usonian gamers, that there is much difference in the aggregate tastes? On the second point, I know there are Korean and Chinese game developers, but would really like to hear if Bollywood and the Bangalore and Hyderabad software developers have come together to produce IRPGs.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Usually for me its Story>game play, in terms of what i look for in a video game. which is why to this day i never understand the appeal of MW1 or 2, and any call of duty for that matter. I've played them, they were fun , but no where near game of the year or even decade quality. The story is just to pants on head retarded (although i'm not necessarily the best judge of this, i actually enjoyed and understood the metal gear solid series).

Well for me, I like the story to either be good or get the hell out of the way. The first is preferable but either is acceptable. That's my philosophy on the matter. If a game can tell a genuinely enjoyable and immersing story then great. This kind of thing in games like Final Fantasy and Xenosaga is what attracted me to JRPGs originally and of course a lot of more recent western games like Mass Effect have done this very well. On the other hand though, if you can't tell a good story, don't try. I can't stand it when games force in some half baked plot that just screams pretentious but utterly falls flat. (Gears of War 2 or Killzone 2 for example). You're vastly better off to just give the player something simple and unobtrusive that serves as an excuse to propel you along. Focus more on making the overall concept and characters stand out rather than the plot itself. (Great examples of this being various Zelda games, the first Metroid Prime or the first Gears of War).

Ranma824 wrote:
I don't mind the occasional hit that breaks into main stream, but I'm sick and tired of the whining and complaining from american gamers; which these games are not made for in the first place!

Just because a game wasn't specifically made for you doesn't mean you can't have an opinion on it. By your reasoning, nobody outside Japan should have an opinion on anime either. I'm sure you do though.

Anyway, if you're happy with only a few small scale releases and imports then that's fine. I worry a bit though. I really think people underestimate how much these big name western RPGs are eating up the market for JRPGs. In the past, there wasn't a huge amount of overlap. The two genre's were fairly different. Now that WRPGs have begun to incorporate many elements from JRPGs, they can quite effectively offer the same appeal but in a way slightly more in line with western tastes. I'm sure there will always be some market for full blown JRPGs but I think some would be surprised how much it may have shrunk. I surely wouldn't want to see JRPGs abandon what made them fun in the first place, but I do think they need to evolve in some ways to keep them reasonably accessible to the western market. If not, we really may see far far fewer making it over here in the future.
sfried

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:

No one even implied that America = all of Western development. The only wild generalizations were that the North American audience = the American audience, and that there no other RPG developers other than "Japan" and "the West". On the first point, are there enough Canadian and Mexican gamers, and are their tastes so different from Usonian gamers, that there is much difference in the aggregate tastes? On the second point, I know there are Korean and Chinese game developers, but would really like to hear if Bollywood and the Bangalore and Hyderabad software developers have come together to produce IRPGs.
I know Korean MMOs are definitely distinct and so are Chinese RPGs.

It is sad when the only Western development houses acknowledged are BioWare and Bethesda. What about those made in Europe?
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:58 am Reply with quote
Generally speaking, the idea with visual arts is to lead the eye around.
The various tools being differing levels of: value/saturation/purity/temperature etc. Whichever you use, contrast tends to be the one that runs thru them all. What am I getting at? Basically, how much is a highlight going to stand out on a light skinned character? Not much. If you really want it to *pop* you can do just like they do, give it a darker foundation to stand out against. Since , to some extent, they are taking liberties with the image to get the effect, what colors can they really use? Brown? Blue? Perhaps but, maybe the 'blush effect' is the best possible choice just to set up the overall effect.

(A good art project to test yourself with is : draw a round shiny yellow object and not let it get dirty looking or look like it's changing colors.)

--------------------------------------------
The first time I saw the blush effect in a way that really caught my eye was this guy:

He does nice work. Sometimes the distortion he applies to characters' bodies puts people off but then again...that's creativity for you.

http://www.hyung-taekim.org/
sfried

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:13 am Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:
Generally speaking, the idea with visual arts is to lead the eye around.
The various tools being differing levels of: value/saturation/purity/temperature etc. Whichever you use, contrast tends to be the one that runs thru them all. What am I getting at? Basically, how much is a highlight going to stand out on a light skinned character? Not much. If you really want it to *pop* you can do just like they do, give it a darker foundation to stand out against. Since , to some extent, they are taking liberties with the image to get the effect, what colors can they really use? Brown? Blue? Perhaps but, maybe the 'blush effect' is the best possible choice just to set up the overall effect.
I think the point was that the blush effect hasn't had much variety even among artists. It's too bad the effect has been overly abused by eroge artists that, in effect, it looks like a cheap copout. The same could be said about the "photoshop airbrush filter" for blushing faces.
Cheesecracker wrote:

Although I do admit his art is nice.

Edit: Tatsunoko, No More Heroes 2, and then The Sky Crawlers. I'm not being guven a break this January...
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:05 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Excuse me? Self created irony? What did I say to deserve such a comment like that? I said I was NOT trying to start anything, CLEARLY, in the post and was just trying to find out other people's reasons.

But please, point out how I was being ironic. Aside from maybe the issues about resale values, I never commented on the loaning topic OR the possibility of the games being pulled off a service. That's not being ironic, it's called not knowing of other reasons. It's why I made the post in the first place.

Well, considering your opening line was talking about getting stuff digitally to pacify people's need for instant gratification, and the total phrasing of your post... despite saying you weren't trying to start anything, it very much sounded like you were. Because I don't know about you, but I don't very often see people "complain" about not wanting to buy things digitally. They just don't. It's the people who want to buy a digital copy so they can have it right now who are the ones I normally see complaining about the inability to satiate their need for instant gratification.
And if you really wanted to know reasons why people prefer to buy physical media, you shouldn't have posted a nice list of your subjective reasons for not buying physical media, as it comes off rather "offensively", rather than "inquisitively". I'm sorry as I seem to have read too much into your wording and responded inappropriately. My apologies.

Kyogissun wrote:
Concerning the pricing issue though, that's the cost of instant gratification. And if I want a game badly enough, I'll be fine sacrificing a physical copy and paying extra to have it sooner. It's like the people who said I was wasting my money for getting Overnight shipping for Dragon Age: Origins when it first came out.

Shipping is a different issue. Paying the same price and forgoing everything but the game, when I can go to the store day of release, or even a midnight release and have it before the person with overnight shipping, with all the physical extras, for the same price, and be playing it while they're sleeping... I think I win that round.

Kyogissun wrote:
As for point one, I don't see this as much of a problem unless you have a super slow download speed. This day and age, 5 gig files can take a mere 15 minutes to be downloaded for some if they have a super fast speed, I know I could with Comcast...

For me, download speed isn't the issue, it's the space issue. I don't want to have to keep buying more and more, or larger and larger HDDs in order to store all the games, and as I'm a collector, if I were to buy games digitally, I would want them where I could see them/show them off to people, instantly, not go and have to download/install it before being able to do so.

Kyogissun wrote:
Point two... Okay, pretty legit but I never consider it being all my friends are miles away. Plus, I just let my buddies hop on my account if they want to play a game that badly, we trust each other that much.

Point three, see above.

And this is where different people's situations come into play, which as you mentioned, didn't come up in your original post as it doesn't apply to you. But I happen to have quite a few friends within driving distance who all have PS3s or 360s (I have both) who I visit often, and will take my games over to play with them. If I had them digitally, I wouldn't be able to do so. On top of that, letting others access and/or play on your account is almost always, 100% against the EULA you agreed to when you made the account, so that's something I wouldn't do either.

Kyogissun wrote:
blah blah blah...Gamestop...blah blah blah...whole nother kinda issue I'll avoid... (shortened for the heck of it)

While I actually agree with you and others that Gamestop makes a rather ungodly profit off of reselling used games, I don't see why it should bother anyone on a personal level, beyond simply taking your business elsewhere and not trading your games into them. What others choose to do with their physical media is up to them, and Gamestop is simply running a business. No one is forcing gamers to accept low payments for trade-ins, or forcing gamers to buy the used copies. (Though they always ask me, and I always say no, since I want my money to go to the studio who made the game, not just help GS turn a profit. That's how I deal with it.)

Kyogissun wrote:
And Leafy brought up some good points too.

I'm not looking to poke and agitate people, just trying to get some views and you guys kinda helped me but I'm still seeing that the digital perks outweigh the physical... And honestly, I'd rather take the risk of the game disappearing forever from the service than misplacing it. If it disappears in real life, then I'm responsible and have only myself to blame. But if a company yanks a game/whatever off the grid, I'll just get pissy with them.

For you. The digital perks are better for you. I can completely understand why you'd prefer digital because of your situation, but in return, I'd hope you can understand why there are people who find it more appropriate/economical to buy physical copies. As for losing it, I can say in the last 15 years, since I started gaming, I've never lost a game. I think I may have loaned one or two out that I never got back (which is definitely a downside Anime cry ), but I can't imagine ever losing a game. But as I'm a collector, I keep all my games in one place, as most gamers do, so it's kinda hard to lose them, unless someone else messes with them, and I live alone, so that's not a problem.

Kyogissun wrote:
However, I do have to say if anyone is a collector, in my book that's like a discussion ender. Even if you do prefer physical copies on another level, it's the collecting factor that I respect. I wish I had enough attention span to COLLECT my games. Mad

Hahaha, respected for having a disease, nice. Collecting games/anime/manga/what-have-you isn't so much something to respect, as it is something to pity the person for. I sometimes wish I didn't have this urge to collect games and movies and such, because then I wouldn't spend so much money on all of it. But, oh well.
And again, sorry for being rude earlier. My bad.

PS: Wow, mega-long-winded post... >.>
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
Excuse me? Self created irony? What did I say to deserve such a comment like that? I said I was NOT trying to start anything, CLEARLY, in the post and was just trying to find out other people's reasons.

But please, point out how I was being ironic. Aside from maybe the issues about resale values, I never commented on the loaning topic OR the possibility of the games being pulled off a service. That's not being ironic, it's called not knowing of other reasons. It's why I made the post in the first place.

Well, considering your opening line was talking about getting stuff digitally to pacify people's need for instant gratification, and the total phrasing of your post... despite saying you weren't trying to start anything, it very much sounded like you were. Because I don't know about you, but I don't very often see people "complain" about not wanting to buy things digitally. They just don't. It's the people who want to buy a digital copy so they can have it right now who are the ones I normally see complaining about the inability to satiate their need for instant gratification.
And if you really wanted to know reasons why people prefer to buy physical media, you shouldn't have posted a nice list of your subjective reasons for not buying physical media, as it comes off rather "offensively", rather than "inquisitively". I'm sorry as I seem to have read too much into your wording and responded inappropriately. My apologies.

Kyogissun wrote:
Concerning the pricing issue though, that's the cost of instant gratification. And if I want a game badly enough, I'll be fine sacrificing a physical copy and paying extra to have it sooner. It's like the people who said I was wasting my money for getting Overnight shipping for Dragon Age: Origins when it first came out.

Shipping is a different issue. Paying the same price and forgoing everything but the game, when I can go to the store day of release, or even a midnight release and have it before the person with overnight shipping, with all the physical extras, for the same price, and be playing it while they're sleeping... I think I win that round.

Kyogissun wrote:
As for point one, I don't see this as much of a problem unless you have a super slow download speed. This day and age, 5 gig files can take a mere 15 minutes to be downloaded for some if they have a super fast speed, I know I could with Comcast...

For me, download speed isn't the issue, it's the space issue. I don't want to have to keep buying more and more, or larger and larger HDDs in order to store all the games, and as I'm a collector, if I were to buy games digitally, I would want them where I could see them/show them off to people, instantly, not go and have to download/install it before being able to do so.

Kyogissun wrote:
Point two... Okay, pretty legit but I never consider it being all my friends are miles away. Plus, I just let my buddies hop on my account if they want to play a game that badly, we trust each other that much.

Point three, see above.

And this is where different people's situations come into play, which as you mentioned, didn't come up in your original post as it doesn't apply to you. But I happen to have quite a few friends within driving distance who all have PS3s or 360s (I have both) who I visit often, and will take my games over to play with them. If I had them digitally, I wouldn't be able to do so. On top of that, letting others access and/or play on your account is almost always, 100% against the EULA you agreed to when you made the account, so that's something I wouldn't do either.

Kyogissun wrote:
blah blah blah...Gamestop...blah blah blah...whole nother kinda issue I'll avoid... (shortened for the heck of it)

While I actually agree with you and others that Gamestop makes a rather ungodly profit off of reselling used games, I don't see why it should bother anyone on a personal level, beyond simply taking your business elsewhere and not trading your games into them. What others choose to do with their physical media is up to them, and Gamestop is simply running a business. No one is forcing gamers to accept low payments for trade-ins, or forcing gamers to buy the used copies. (Though they always ask me, and I always say no, since I want my money to go to the studio who made the game, not just help GS turn a profit. That's how I deal with it.)

Kyogissun wrote:
And Leafy brought up some good points too.

I'm not looking to poke and agitate people, just trying to get some views and you guys kinda helped me but I'm still seeing that the digital perks outweigh the physical... And honestly, I'd rather take the risk of the game disappearing forever from the service than misplacing it. If it disappears in real life, then I'm responsible and have only myself to blame. But if a company yanks a game/whatever off the grid, I'll just get pissy with them.

For you. The digital perks are better for you. I can completely understand why you'd prefer digital because of your situation, but in return, I'd hope you can understand why there are people who find it more appropriate/economical to buy physical copies. As for losing it, I can say in the last 15 years, since I started gaming, I've never lost a game. I think I may have loaned one or two out that I never got back (which is definitely a downside Anime cry ), but I can't imagine ever losing a game. But as I'm a collector, I keep all my games in one place, as most gamers do, so it's kinda hard to lose them, unless someone else messes with them, and I live alone, so that's not a problem.

Kyogissun wrote:
However, I do have to say if anyone is a collector, in my book that's like a discussion ender. Even if you do prefer physical copies on another level, it's the collecting factor that I respect. I wish I had enough attention span to COLLECT my games. Mad

Hahaha, respected for having a disease, nice. Collecting games/anime/manga/what-have-you isn't so much something to respect, as it is something to pity the person for. I sometimes wish I didn't have this urge to collect games and movies and such, because then I wouldn't spend so much money on all of it. But, oh well.
And again, sorry for being rude earlier. My bad.

PS: Wow, mega-long-winded post... >.>

Okay, last long post that I will qoute, I promise to all of you.

I do have a bit of a problem with patience but that is, as said, due to the fact that we're living in an age where things can be had instantly...

Though it might also have to do with the fact that I moved from a very big and populated city (Pittsburgh) to a middle of nowhere town (Pikeville Kentucky) so again, another person issue.

As for the gamestop thing, it's like you said. The whole money going to the developers thing. It's like they 'really' don't care about the industry itself. My feeling is that they think of themselves as practically carrying the industry on its back when they forget that there are plenty of other retailers out there who they have to sell their products through and, though INCREDIBLY unlikely, all these companies could just up and refuse distribution of a game to gamestop.

It's like if they didn't view say, 'Atlus' or 'NIS America' as their actual companies and just saw them as 'RPG licensor number 54854' or something like that. I'm sure someone here must get what I mean and yeah, I know it's kind of again just mindless banter but still, I feel sometimes like maybe if there was some kind of industry changing thing to occur, Gamestop doesn't realize how far up **** creek they could be without a paddle.

Which comes back to the digital distribution thing. While I don't believe we'll ever reach a point where no physical content exists for a game whatsoever within the next 2-3 years, I do think disc production (except for maybe blu-rays) is on its way out the door and what's gonna happen to gamestop then? If most games become digital download to increase profit for companies and cut out the middle man like gamestop, best buy and whatnot, for game retail focused companies, what happens to them?

That's my personal problem in a diatribe I guess. In a nutshell, they don't fear things going against their favor, but they can and eventually will.

As for the collecting thing, you consider it a disease? I'd find that a blessing really, as it would help solve said patience problem to some degree...

But nowadays, I only buy a game if it falls under one or two of the following categories, in a way, I have a flowchart but I'll just post a list:
-If it has a collector's edition, reserve ASAP
-If it's an RPG and I can get 60+ hours out of it, I buy it
-If it has DLC planned down the line
-If it has the words 'Dragon Age', instant buy (Seriously, I cannot express my love for DA:O enough)
-If it has co-op and my online friends are going to buy it day one, I purchase (Specifically borderlands, L4D2, etc)

Otherwise, I try to rent. My attention span with games is short and I occasionally revisit some. Still, I wish I was a collector like you because the idea of having that sort of shelf or case to display my 'gaming life' of sorts is something I would like to have. Aside from my collector's editions remnants (Mana Khemia 2 artbook, .hack//G.U. Haseo figurine, metal case for ACII, DA:O and Fallout 3, etc), which are decently nerdy themselves, I don't have much besides my memories.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
If Sega should bring back a series it needs to be Virtual On. Or Shenmue.

Better yet, port over Planet Harriers already, or give us Segagaga (wishful thinking but I'd love it to come out here just because of the final boss fight which is an awesome Thunder Force tribute)
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
true, but that's just a bunch of salad dressing; it didn't have THAT much bearing on the plot of the series and those were never the point to begin with. That kind of story telling doesn't bother with superfluous details. Plus Square is adamant in not doing another one in the series unless they can scrounge up the original team who have been scattered to the winds, including Sakaguchi who is a little too busy doing other things at the moment to cater to the nostalgia crowd.

I'm just pointing out some remaining loose threads and plot elements that a sequel could pick up on. Chrono Cross essentially revolves around the loose thread of Schala's disappearance from the first game, so I don't think it's true to say that it's not the kind of story that will capitalize on seemingly minor details. Also, I doubt Sakaguchi will be working with Square again any time soon. And Yuji Horii is doing quite fine working exclusively on Dragon Quest (plus, if the sequel were to maintain the same direction taken in Radical Dreamers and Cross - which I hope it does - Horii's talent would probably be a little out of place). Frankly, I'd rather they partner with Monolith Soft (where several of the key personnel from the previous games are now), get Kato and Mitsuda on board, and... yeah, that'd be pretty good. Probably not gonna happen, but hey, a man can dream.

Quote:
One word: NOSTALGIA. THAT IS IT, that's all it ever is. And to have the spine to piss off that much of a fanbase is what really set it apart.

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to indicate here, but I was one of those fans who grew up with Chrono Trigger, and I loved Cross, radical departures from the first game and all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sfried

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to indicate here, but I was one of those fans who grew up with Chrono Trigger, and I loved Cross, radical departures from the first game and all.
I think Chrono Cross is a disappointing sequel to Chrono Trigger (especially considering how convoluted the story gets), but on its own it is a solid game.

And I felt they've given their shot with Blue Dragon (same team members even), and it's clear it takes a certain kind of inspiration to create something in the same vein as Chrono Trigger. Cross was clearly not that game, and many others have tried to replicate that feel.

It's like old 80's anime. You can't expect them to make something like it nowdays given two factors: 1)The audience, which has clearly changed its tastes 2)Money.

And there's nothing wrong with nostalgia, and I admit dwelling in it isn't going to help, but it's good is people distilled what made those past things so great.
The Grey Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I haven't played it either but I'd rather not. What kind of weird game makes you choose between items or money after a victory in battle?

Worse, you burn HP if you want to run across an area and once you reach 50%, you can't run any more. So not only does it affect dodging monsters in an area, but you have to suffer through the snail's pace walking speed. That would have only been fair if you could regenerate that spend HP once you stopped running. But alas, it is gone.
DigimonTamer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote
JRPG's dying in the mainstream? hmmm, I don't know about that. The developer everybody looks up when it comes to WRPG's is Bioware, and two of Bioware's biggest hits are Mass Effect, and Dragon Age.

Now lets go to a mainstream gaming site like Gamespot and look at their end of year videogame awards. Two years ago a JRPG (Persona 3) beat Mass Effect for RPG of the year and this year a JRPG (Demon's Souls) beat out Dragon Age for RPG of the year. Pretty amazing considering the JRPG is "dead" right? Also, Demon's Souls got OVERALL game of the year, beating out everything from Call of Duty to Assassin's Creed..........and of course Dragon Age.

Also, X-Play gave RPG of the year to Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story...........another JRPG beating out Dragon Age.

So 2 JRPG's this year were more highly regarded than Dragon Age which is the crown jewel of the WRPG world this year.....hmmm I guess it's the WRPG that is truly dead.

I rest my case.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:51 pm Reply with quote
DigimonTamer wrote:
JRPG's dying in the mainstream? hmmm, I don't know about that. The developer everybody looks up when it comes to WRPG's is Bioware, and two of Bioware's biggest hits are Mass Effect, and Dragon Age.

actually BioWares biggest hits are probably Mass Effect and Knights of the Old Republic, the latter of which is one of the the best games ever made.
DigimonTamer wrote:

Now lets go to a mainstream gaming site like Gamespot and look at their end of year videogame awards. Two years ago a JRPG (Persona 3) beat Mass Effect for RPG of the year and this year a JRPG (Demon's Souls) beat out Dragon Age for RPG of the year. Pretty amazing considering the JRPG is "dead" right? Also, Demon's Souls got OVERALL game of the year, beating out everything from Call of Duty to Assassin's Creed..........and of course Dragon Age.

and Dragon Age won Best PC Game and Best RPG awards at the spike video games award show, as well as taking PC Game of the Year, Best XBOX 360 RPG of the Year, Best Story of the Year, and Best PC Role-Playing Game of the Year. and Mass Effect won numerous awards including IGNs rpg of the year, as well as making it to the number one spot on their "top 25 games for the xbox 360" and was even recognized by the New York Times (not to mention the hilarious fox news thing).

reviews are subjective, that tends to be in their nature. So it really doesn't matter how many reviews you site, you would be hard pressed to find a lot of people who think persona 3 is better than Mass effect. but everyone else's opinion doesn't matter, to each his own.
DigimonTamer wrote:

Also, X-Play gave RPG of the year to Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story...........another JRPG beating out Dragon Age.

and i completely disagree.
DigimonTamer wrote:

So 2 JRPG's this year were more highly regarded than Dragon Age which is the crown jewel of the WRPG world this year.....hmmm I guess it's the WRPG that is truly dead.

I rest my case.

by those two sources they were, but that doesn't mean the general consensus was that Mario and Luigi and Demon's Souls(ridiculous name) are better than Dragon age. and in my own personal opinion neither of those games has a better story than Dragon Age, which is primarily what i look for in in rpgs.

and to sort of counter myself i never said the JRPGs are dead, i said that i noticed in the last 5 or so years that there has been a serious decline in over quality of the games. I still enjoy JRPGs, (at least the older ones anyway) and i have nothing against them.

also your comment about WRPGs being dead reeks of fanboy-ism and general japanophilia. if anything i would say WRPGs are on the rise at the moment, with Mass effect 2 being one of the most widely anticipated games this year.
DigimonTamer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote
[quote="animehermit"]
DigimonTamer wrote:

also your comment about WRPGs being dead reeks of fanboy-ism and general japanophilia. if anything i would say WRPGs are on the rise at the moment, with Mass effect 2 being one of the most widely anticipated games this year.

Yet, oddly enough, it will be overshadowed by Final Fantasy 13.........a JRPG.

Also

Mario and Luigi Game Rankings Score - 91.27
Demon's Souls Game Rankings Score - 90.02
Dragon Age Game Rankings Score - 87.29

interesting
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:18 am Reply with quote
[quote="DigimonTamer"]
animehermit wrote:
DigimonTamer wrote:

Yet, oddly enough, it will be overshadowed by Final Fantasy 13.........a JRPG.

and now you make a vague prediction about a game that doesn't even have a north american release date yet. and also according to ign Mass effect 2 is more widely anticipated. Don't get me wrong i really am looking forward to FFXIII, but given Bioware's record of making really fun games, and square enix's more recent titles, i'm leaning towards mass effect on this one

also you can't just list numbers and have me take that as evidence as to whether or not a one is better than another. and just because there are two well received JRPGs this year does not excuse the cavalcade of crap released this year, even from respected companies like Square Enix.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6