• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How about a Bleach spinoff?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acidnervecable

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
...or rather, an Alternate Universe story. "Death God Academy" would be pretty awesome. Most of the Captains could be Teachers. My picks would be: Yamamoto as the Dean/Chairman/Principal, Unohana as the nurse, Urahara teaching Science and Technology (I would've gone with Kurosutchi, but you run the risk of him experimenting on his students), Ukitake would make a good Ethics teacher. They could even have Nelliel teach an Advanced Combat course (I would've gone with Kenpachi, but he might kill his students.. and not by mistake... plus, having Nelliel as a teacher would kind of rock). How about Byakuya teaching Kidou and Yoruichi teaching shunpo?

The story could be your typical romantic comedy meets combat school. I figure it could be rather enjoyable... not that It'll ever actually happen.. no market for it and all. I wanna know what everyone else thinks and if you'd have a different lineup for the cast. And please, no flames about how "Bleach is dead" and the whole school-related romantic comedy is overdone.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Sounds interesting. However, Bleach just wouldn't be the same if it was like that. But like I said interesting.

And who says Bleach is dead? It ain't dead, it's just the anime purists who hate anything mainstream/long-running/shonen anime who want it to be dead.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Hmm I would argue that bleach as it stand's is basically one giant spinoff. I gave up on it because the filler arcs were so far removed from the plot and so long that they felt like spinoff series in their own right. I would vote against any more non "central plot" bleach to be honest.
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, remember the episode where the arrancars invade (the ones led by Ulqiorra) while everyone was training? Ukitake said that they might be soul reapers when they die. I've been thinking about that since and maybe that could be an idea.
Kirikiri23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Well this just sounds like a terrible idea
sorry but it does
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Kirikiri23 wrote:
Well this just sounds like a terrible idea
sorry but it does

You know, there is this wonderful invention in the English language called punctuation. You really should consider using it. In fact, while we don't require perfection, at least making an effort to use proper English is expected around here.

And perhaps you could explain why it's a terrible idea rather than just give a one-liner? That doesn't encourage discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kirikiri23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Alright what would this actually be about?
I don't understand it at all.

Why bleach?
It just sounds like sound random fanboyist dream

I don't want to say anything else as to not be a total dick
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
Kirikiri23 wrote:
Alright what would this actually be about?
I don't understand it at all.

Why bleach?
It just sounds like sound random fanboyist dream

I don't want to say anything else as to not be a total dick

Anyone else get the feeling this person is trying to start something? Also, don't think "fanboyist" is a word even on teh interwebs.

Back on topic, I see where it could be interesting and what you're getting at, though at the same time I can't help but think why Bleach. I get that you've gotten the idea from the series, but I can't help but feel as if, while with its own merits your idea would be better off as an original idea. At the very least, that way it could do what it wants and not have to fit into the established mythos of the existing series. I'll say points for effort but take that next big step outside of the realm of 'fanfic waiting to be written."

Edit: spelling/punctuation
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:52 am Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
And who says Bleach is dead? It ain't dead, it's just the anime purists who hate anything mainstream/long-running/shonen anime who want it to be dead.

Long running has nothing to do with the crappy overall quality of each episode. Which is Bleach's case. We loathe it, for the fact that they couldn't maintain the major plot without using an uncountable number of fillers episodes, including filler arcs, such as the one we're watching right now. But, just like I said, the problem is the overall quality of each episode, and on that Bleach failed. Why did they fail? Well, there might be too many reasons, but the biggest one would be their focusing on too many useless, unlikable, boring, and annoying side characters.
The Third Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:11 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Youkai Warrior wrote:

Long running has nothing to do with the crappy overall quality of each episode. Which is Bleach's case. We loathe it, for the fact that they couldn't maintain the major plot without using an uncountable number of fillers episodes, including filler arcs, such as the one we're watching right now. But, just like I said, the problem is the overall quality of each episode, and on that Bleach failed. Why did they fail? Well, there might be too many reasons, but the biggest one would be their focusing on too many useless, unlikable, boring, and annoying side characters.

I was going to give a similar reply but you have beaten me to it. I personally don't think a bleach spinoff would work due to the weak characters. Most spinoff s I've seen focus on a strong or apealling side character but I have not seen that in Bleach.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
^ oooh another fan oh the good doctor /salute

Aye the reason I hate bleach can be quite easily verified first watch episode 1,2 and 3 of bleach. Notice the almost complete lack of re used footage, the compelling storytelling, the interesting concepts.

Now watch any 3 episodes past the 150 - 200 mark. About half of each episode if not more is dedicated to showing stuff that was shown in the last episode. And stuff that will be shown again in the next episode. There are some parts where I have a hard time finding 10 minutes of new footage on an apisode. The fights are also needlessly extended and despite this drastic thinning of the content it has also had to be propped up with godawful fillers. This is i'm afraid the destiny of almost every popular shounen show. Naruto and DB are no different.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Youkai Warrior wrote:

Then please explain to me why Bleach is rated as Excellant here at ANN. And we are not talking about why Bleach should be hated. The author was asking if they're idea is a good one or not. Stay on topic. And by saying 'We loathe it...' speak for yourself. Not everyone hates Bleach. Don't act like you speak for everyone.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
Through these eyes, bleach is the Ripley clone sitting in a puddle of it's own filth. It looks up to me with watery eyes, tendrils flexing weakly, and I shudder to hear the words that rasp from its lips.

"...kill...me....!" she wheezes.

Tears blur my vision and with these fingers I reluctantly but lovingly write dear Bleach's fitting demise.

End of Bleavangelion.
spoiler[
Yeah, that's right. NERV busts into Soul Society, Ichigo's house, and whatever lameass underworld the Bleach Judas lives in - such details are no longer important. Everyone is either murdered or explodes into goo. The camera zooms out from the country...planet....galaxy....universe....and then Tite Kubo's head. The truth is, he's been in a coma since the Soul Society arc ended, and his editor finally pulls the plug.

"It was never about the money, Tite....NOT FOR ME!" he sobs.]
RHachicho

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Then please explain to me why Bleach is rated as Excellant here at ANN

Im afraid Bleach is well known for its horde of screaming fanboys/girls and it has been pointed out to me that shows like this are extremely vulnerable to people over voting for them to skew the results (don't think it dousn't happen). I must say that in any show with that much of a fanboy following you must take the ANN rating with a pinch of salt. Not only that but many of those ratings could be from before the show degenerated. I myself used to be a big fan of the Shounen shows and would doggedly defend them in the past however im sorry but it has devolved into a complete pile of garbadge and that is sad. I used to love both bleach and Naruto when they were relatively new shows I never considered them intellectual masterpieces but they were worth it because of the action and emotion. Now it just seems to be a fight/gag parade with a new Bankai or enemy being released every few weeks to keep the fans happy.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
Then please explain to me why Bleach is rated as Excellant here at ANN. And we are not talking about why Bleach should be hated. The author was asking if they're idea is a good one or not. Stay on topic. And by saying 'We loathe it...' speak for yourself. Not everyone hates Bleach. Don't act like you speak for everyone.

"We are god, that's why we speak like this". "Split personality". "I has two accounts at ANN". "My sister also hates Bleach, that makes two of us". "My dog hates Bleach, that makes two of us". Choose whichever you want, and thank you for your time, my good sir.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2