• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Gainax, I.G's FLCL Anime on Blu-ray/DVD

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
LOL, no, we paid as much as anyone else did for dubbing back then. We just had an untalented dub studio, a few truly bad actors in the cast, and a crew at CPM at the time that just didn't give a #*$.

Really? I've never seen the show, but I'm looking at the cast list and I see several pretty good to great actors. Sonomat also made the Slayers dub (which I love) and Captain Tylor which I hear good things about dubbing wise with Jim Malone being the director of those. I just don't see how it could be as bad as you and others are making it sound. Of course, I like the Sailor Moon dub and you might ignore my taste in dubs entirely.

Quote:
As long as I'm dreaming, I'd like a new TV...

Make sure you get one of them new fangled 3D TV's if you do. I just got my HDTV a year ago and I'm already out of date.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Really? I've never seen the show, but I'm looking at the cast list and I see several pretty good to great actors. Sonomat also made the Slayers dub (which I love) and Captain Tylor which I hear good things about dubbing wise with Jim Malone being the director of those. I just don't see how it could be as bad as you and others are making it sound. Of course, I like the Sailor Moon dub and you might ignore my taste in dubs entirely.

Oh, the Sailor Moon dub is fine, but Utena is... painful. Of course I'm saying this based off the first couple dvds (was never able to buy anything past the Black Rose saga, slowly working my way up to what ADV is showing on their on demand channel) but you've got middle school kids sounding like old men and old ladies, and in comparison to the Japanese cast you can't help but feel you're missing something, be it personality or mood. And that's not even touching on how some of the names were pronounced at times.

Though, that all said, I don't think I can ever laugh as hard at Japanese Nanami than I did for the dub Nanami. She was so bad she brought a new level of amusement to the character that the Japanese actor could never achieve. I don't think it was intentional, but I still giggle every time I hear her and she'll always be Nanami to me.

Really glad to hear Funi is keeping the original FLCL dub. It was great, and I look forward to seeing it again.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Completely hypothetically, I would love for a potential license rescue and a redub by a talented studio, either Funi's A-team or NYAV Post or something. As long as I'm dreaming, I'd like a new TV...

"Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket... " - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
LOL, no, we paid as much as anyone else did for dubbing back then. We just had an untalented dub studio, a few truly bad actors in the cast, and a crew at CPM at the time that just didn't give a #*$.

lol, yeah, if you like the Sailor Moon dub you clearly have a tolerance for really hammy, cloying performances that make me want to retch.

Utena had some great actors in it (Rachel Lillis and Crispin Freeman come to mind) but some pretty mediocre ones as well. Once Tony Salerno took over directing (he did the Slayers dub you love so much) it was improved immensely. But the first 13 are pretty terrible.
Prede

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Prede wrote:
Also those trashing on the Utena dub. You make me sad. That dub is far from perfect, but it's not terrible. You have to remember that was from the late 90s/early 2000's, and dubbed with a low budget from CPM.

When we went back to do the second and third seasons and the movie, we had a new production crew at CPM that DID care. We changed directors and got a much better dub, but we were still stuck with a cast that was on the spotty side.

Completely hypothetically, I would love for a potential license rescue and a redub by a talented studio, either Funi's A-team or NYAV Post or something. As long as I'm dreaming, I'd like a new TV...

Oh...thanks for the info Smile . Your very helpful man Wink .But it was a long show, so you have to excuse some problems with the dub for that. I mean long running series don't tend to get great dubs as it is. Some do, but eh most of the time we get what we get. Since it was such a long show, you can't expect the amount of money/time to go into it that you could for a 26 episode show, or a 13 episode show etc. That's kind of what I was saying.

And I still think you guys did alright on the dub. I mean it's not worth all the hate it's getting here. It's far from perfect, but come on. It's not a train wreck. It's at least decent, and I liked it. Nothing amazing but it was more then passable.

Also so your saying you paid around the same for the first 13 episodes of Utena as say all 13 episodes of the Now and Then, Here and There dub? Or 13 episodes of some other show at the time? For some reason that seems odd to me.

Still the rest of what I said in my post stands. You have to take the age and the lenght into consideration when judgeing a dub.

PBsallad: Oh yes I thought Blum was very funny in Gurren Lagenn. Your right, he sure sounded different there Wink .

The King of Harts: The Utena dub is not quite at the level of Slayers dub, but I think you may like it. Should at least give it a listen one day. It's not as bad as everyone here is painting it trust me.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
jsevakis wrote:

"Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket... " - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

OK, almost busted a gut and I think I need a new monitor, because that pop is surely going to short it out... most amusing indeed. So I wonder if an Otaku won the lottery and was willing to pay a lot of money for stuf, if you could rescue one of these 'impossible' rescues.
I'll get back to you on that when I win the lottery, and buy Mal a pony.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, I had seen this so many times on CN that I had waited just too long and could only ever find volumes 2 and 3 in stores so was never able to pick it up, but now I can finally get this uttery fantastic show and on Blu-ray no less, great choice for a rescue title Funi!

Now if they could just rescue Hellsing Ultimate so we can start getting those later volumes...
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Prede wrote:
Also those trashing on the Utena dub. You make me sad. That dub is far from perfect, but it's not terrible. You have to remember that was from the late 90s/early 2000's, and dubbed with a low budget from CPM.

When we went back to do the second and third seasons and the movie, we had a new production crew at CPM that DID care. We changed directors and got a much better dub, but we were still stuck with a cast that was on the spotty side.

Funimation doesn't seem interested in re-dubbing or licensing Utena at all. There's constant rumors that Section23 may license rescue Utena.

NYAY isn't getting much work these days, and it's highly unlikely that anyone will even bother to re-dub Utena.

Kudos Justin to you and the CPM crew that tried their best.
SD Maruko-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:23 am Reply with quote
Thanks posters! Your enthousiasm for FLCL has pushed me to
spend the 16 UKpounds (about $26) to buy the UK release of FLCL by MVM! Smile

@Funimation: license rescues of titles that _don't_ have an active/current
R2 UK and/or R4 AUS release are even better than those that do... Wink

(I'm a Dutch person with about 75% R1 USA, most of the rest
R2 UK/EU, a few R4 AUS and a few R2 JP anime DVDs. Wink )
xia83

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote
yaaaaaaaaaaay

there's a god
MUSAWE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Registered to say: thank you Funimation! I was about to give in and pay 200~300 dollars for FLCL just because of how much it means to me but now it won't cost me a lung!

I hope they do something along the lines of the Ultimate DVD collection. And thank god the dub is included. Only way I can watch FLCL. So excited Very Happy
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
completely hypothetically, I would love for a potential license rescue and a redub by a talented studio, either Funi's A-team or NYAV Post or something. As long as I'm dreaming, I'd like a new TV...

Hell yes. I know it'll never happen, but an NYAV Post dub of Utena, attached to the remastered version from 2009, would basically be the best thing ever. Especially if they got Rachael Lillis (the CPM dub's main highlight) back for the lead.

I'll take a new TV too.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:27 am Reply with quote
Glad they got FLCL. It was too unfortunate that it was sooo short. Only 6 epsiodes for a series thats everyone praised the dub and not tearing it apart. At least it's more affordable and now i can add it.

Also I would not mind they getting the license and doing a redub of Utena. Same with SM and though I love the DIC version , even I would like to see it unedited. Same with stars as well as Super S.

But what they should really license is Card Captor Sakura cause just like Intial D that series needs a redubbing after Nelvana destroyed it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:57 am Reply with quote
Oh hey, a JP blu-ray release for FLCL has been announced (first half of the line, second half is for Evangelion 2.22)! If it's anything like the previous R2J DVD box, it could potentially include the english subs and dub too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11