• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon: Kyurem vs. The Sword of Justice's Even Longer Sneak Peek Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
I never ignored it. It just won't do you any good because I cannot stand Vic Mignogna...

Fine, but there's other things to talk about regarding this news article aside from Vic Mignogna playing as some character. If you don't like the guy, fine. But that's a poor excuse to basically want to soapbox about how much you hate the guy when there's more to the article to talk about. And the same set of people here have done the same thing you're doing numerous times on other news articles before.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Alright, I'm seeing plenty of folks expressing their hate towards Vic here. Why is that?

It's really not even worth going into detail as to why. Some people are being critical as "critics" and call him a talentless hack, some are holding a pathetic grudge over what Vic said in one con vs another about confirming the sexual orientation of a character he played in an anime from several years ago, some judge him as an attention whore at cons, some judge him for "cramming" his religion down fans throats.

Let's put it this way, he gets treated the same way as every single Hollywood celebrity with a status do. Some love him, others hate him and some of the hate he gets like with certain Hollywood celebs is trivial and undeserved. That's ALL you need to know at this point.
mediaright

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I'll take a swing at tackling a few things, with the knowledge that it takes a lot of effort to hate, so I know these can only go so far.

-'His fans are annoying' - I'll give you that. It shouldn't reflect back on him, but agreed. He handles it well though. God, idk what I'd do if I had those sort of fans, but I've never seen him act ill towards one of them.

-'...talentless hack' -
Never heard that one. Don't know where it's coming from. He's clearly not or he wouldn't keep getting cast. Maybe less versatile, but on his skills alone, that description just doesn't fit.

-The Tsubasa orientation/yaoi thing...-
So...Vic's a man of great faith and was brought up in that sort of household. That's not a sin. There are certain roles he won't do for things that conflict with his faith. And I don't think he wants to even consider one of his characters he's locked in to might be different like that. He cites information the line producer got from CLAMP about the anime version. He gets snippy when people mention the manga, so it's a sort of denial, but again...not worth all the hatred over.

-'Attention whore'-
Yeah, he's a ham, but I don't detect an ounce of intention in that. He's high-strung. Many people are, especially dramatic actors. His personality isn't chill, and I know many people like that. They're not bad or evil, just loud and engaged.

-'Shoving faith down people's throats'
Vic used to be the music director for First Baptist Houston. He was FIRED (I'm sorry, "asked to step down") after they found out he played Ed (atheist, rebellious, teenager). His MO is spreading love to as many people as possible (to him since he was canned, that's at cons), and since for many people of faith god and love are so synonymous, there's usually some interplay. That's why he plugs the John CDs and does the Sunday panels at AWA. As to why the panels are allowed anyway, check with AWA: they approve them so your beef's with them.

Ever sit through one of those panels? I'm a hardline agnostic, and they're not really preaching religion. In-fact, he's usually arguing for people who ARE die-hard christians to stop living by the book so closely and cultivate a personal relationship with a higher being. He's against that kind of dogma (google it kids) that got him fired and hurts so many and truly does argue for a personal relationship kind of faith.

You may not agree with him, but his motives are pure from everything I've seen and he's truly been a nice guy trying to make people happy the couple times I've talked to him.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
mediaright wrote:
-The Tsubasa orientation/yaoi thing...-
So...Vic's a man of great faith and was brought up in that sort of household. That's not a sin. There are certain roles he won't do for things that conflict with his faith. And I don't think he wants to even consider one of his characters he's locked in to might be different like that. He cites information the line producer got from CLAMP about the anime version. He gets snippy when people mention the manga, so it's a sort of denial, but again...not worth all the hatred over.

Confused people are free to believe what they want. They have a choice of which religion to follow and thoughts to have about subjects like homosexuality. Their freedom to think does not give them to right to assert their views as canon however. CLAMP's work is famous for being very open about those kinds of relationships, just read Cardcaptors and you can find lots about those subjects. Him voicing a character doesn't give him to right to change what the author and writers originally had or wrote for that character. Homosexual subtext is blantant and done on purpose. I have this problem with a female anime 'reviewer' I saw who expressed similar remarks about Utena and Anthy in Revolutionary Girl Utena. It's fine if you disprove of homosexuality, but please leave your views out of your work.. these are not your characters, look at them with an objective viewpoint.. that's what a true professional would do. You make yourself look bad when you use these characters as a soapbox for your own beliefs. You dont have to like it, just tolerate it.
mediaright

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
I understand where you're coming from in a moral and principled standpoint, but pragmatically and professionally, he very well might have an out here (not to mention all art in interpretive through different lenses and people can view it however they want, but let's put that aside).

If the character is blatantly in a relationship (through reference in lines and animation) in the anime version, than yeah, he's just kidding himself. But..., if it's not blatant, or it's only in the manga version (even for now), than there's no imperative to think a certain way. You might assume it's a conclusion, but look at it from Funi's perspective:

As a fan, you love a coherent storyline shared by a manga or anime, and follow the mangaka's word as the final authority on everything. But talk to most VAs and they'll tell you they do not TOUCH the manga. Mainly for time, but also...if the manga and anime do differ, even an ounce, that will color their performance, and possibly in a way the director doesn't want.

So if this is a manga thing that hasn't leapt to the anime as obviously yet, then while to you, it might seem like a forgone conclusion, and historically, it might make sense, professionally, it's not for very practical reasons from an actor's perspective. Remember that english anime actors record in a vacuum, only hearing some surrounding lines in scenes they're in, and seeing nothing else (since time is money friend). So actually, until the ADR director at Funi tells him it's a done deal, and to play it like that, it's actually his job to not take that into consideration.

In this case, it happens to give him a nice excuse, but it does give him an out until this makes it into the anime undeniably. I'm not arguing it's wrong to turn a blind to an issue like this once it's in a piece of art without a shadow of a doubt, but I'd take your concerns up with the ADR director for the show, not the actor who's just going on their word.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:16 am Reply with quote
mediaright wrote:
-'...talentless hack' -
Never heard that one. Don't know where it's coming from. He's clearly not or he wouldn't keep getting cast. Maybe less versatile, but on his skills alone, that description just doesn't fit.

Let's just say there's a certain guy in the forums who repeatedly says that kind of thing about various actors and Vic happens to be one. He proclaims himself as some kind of critic, but the way he particularly expresses his criticism makes him come off as a sarcastic, insulting ass.

Also.... I think you mistook my point of view from my previous post. I have nothing to criticize against Vic if that's what you were thinking. I was merely listing all the different kinds of criticism he gets which I frankly find most of them stupid.

But switching gears here.... so, how would you guys compare Keldeo or the other Pokemon in this film to any of the Pokemon in previous films?
mediaright

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:27 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Also.... I think you mistook my point of view from my previous post. I have nothing to criticize against Vic if that's what you were thinking. I was merely listing all the different kinds of criticism he gets which I frankly find most of them stupid.

But switching gears here.... so, how would you guys compare Keldeo or the other Pokemon in this film to any of the Pokemon in previous films?

Nah, we cool. You just happened to list the most common ones very conveniently. I never judged you. I'm constantly surprised he's such a polarizing guy though. Is the anime community simply looking for a demon or are people seriously THAT offended by these sorts of things? If so, than...wtf are we doing anyway? It just boggles me. I'm not a fanboy, but it doesn't take much to look at what he's doing, where he's coming from, and see he's a good guy.

The films...? Frankly, I haven't been watching the latest batch of films (and I hung in there longer than most, going back and watching through movie 10 in high school). I'm looking for something special in this one. Like...it's hard to put on paper, but like: Lucario, Movie 8 was special imo, movie 3 was special and different to me. So does this film stand out meaningfully in character dev or story against the rest? That's my measure of whether I should see it or not. How does this one fare?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
It's not really that. It's more of the lines that Vic sucks at his job, rather than his lack of range. Add to the fact he is one of the few English language VAs, which 'specializes' at dubbing foreign animation and gets too much praise and fangirls for all the wrong reasons, that also is the reason why I cannot f**king stand Vic Mignogna! Evil or Very Mad

There's that, and there's that he's known to be a real jerk to fans. At cons, he's asked underage girls for their phone numbers and sent them messages. He's also blatantly denied that Clamp has homosexual pairings in their works (Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, in particular).

Simply search "Vic Mignogna is..." on Google and the first two options that come up are "a jerk" and "a douche". Many people have told stories about what he's done at cons. It's truly horrifying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2