• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-01-08]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:19 am Reply with quote
Grossest food? Frankly i can't stand rice balls. Unless dipped in gallons of teriyaki sauce they are tasteless giant round things that I can't bring my self to finish.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I've seen "Salo" and "In the Realm of the Senses" and "Irreversible,"

But what about Cannibal Holocaust and Meet the Feebles?

As for music rights, what's really stupid to me about these ransoms Western and Japanese labels charge for me to hear the songs on home video is that record companies aren't looking at the bigger picture: attracting a wider audience for a particular band or artist.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
I had bull penis at an izakaya in NYC once. Kinda gelatinous and tasteless.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:16 am Reply with quote
Huh. I've heard more than one person say that as their Japanese got better, Japanese dubs started sounding worse. And I've never heard of someone appreciating Japanese dubs more after getting better at Japanese. Which suggests to me that much of the "Japanese VAs are better" matter is illusory, brought on by the difficulty of recognizing bad acting in a foreign language. Personally, I think the biggest difference is the size of the talent pool.

Oh, and I don't know Gundam very well, so I can't say anything about Athrun, but I remembered immediately that Lelouch's VAs were Jun Fukuyama and Johnny Yong Bosch.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:28 am Reply with quote
Athrun's voice actor was Sam Vincent. Why I remember that or feel the need to mention it, I do not know.
Dante80

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In North America, maybe Funimation will finally get through their concrete skulls that putting seven episodes of anime on one DVD makes it look like decaying raw sewage, and will wake up and delete their squeezeboxes and re-release all the affected series (including Fruits Basket) with no more than five episodes per DVD. Maybe they (and the former ADV) will also stop dropping and restore on-disc extras once and for all (especially when they delete the single volumes that originally featured them), and list all of them on their packaging. Between the two of them, more people would buy their re-releases instead of tracking down the out-of-print originals, which often results in the people involved in its creation not getting any money out of it. Hint, god damned hint.

Amen to that. I never understood the half season thinpack quantity over quality industry mindset, although I get the fact that it works well for them. Its the exact opposite of what I am searching for in physical media as a collector...Anime cry
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:54 am Reply with quote
NANA's removal of the original ending is annoying seeing as it's one of the best songs in the series, and much better than Starless Night. Too bad 'a little pain' is basically a copy of 'Just Missed the Train' by Kelly Clarkson and gives zero credit to the original so that's why it was removed.
hakojo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:22 am Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
NANA's removal of the original ending is annoying seeing as it's one of the best songs in the series, and much better than Starless Night. Too bad 'a little pain' is basically a copy of 'Just Missed the Train' by Kelly Clarkson and gives zero credit to the original so that's why it was removed.

Wasn't Just Missed the Train itself a cover of a song by some European group?

Also, I've always thought that A Little Pain sounds much more like KOKIA's Ningentte Sonna Mono ne. At any rate, all three songs are only really similar in the chorus...it's the same riff being used each time.
malik_chan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:02 am Reply with quote
In reply to the first one. I don't think Utena should be on that list, mainly because it isn't notorious as Bebop. Hell, Pokemon should be on that list because it made an almost world-wide impact, I also think Trigun should be on there as well because it was almost known as well as Bebop.

I predict the end of freaking moe. It's old hat and the horse is beaten beyond death.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:16 am Reply with quote
Art doesn't need to make a statement. It's simply the physical manifestation of the artist's vision. Much of art simply exists to provide some beauty or something that the artist and viewer might find pleasing. Whether it speaks to you or not is secondary. I mean really, what statement is the bust of Nefertiti making? And yet anyone who denies it's art is a fool.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:44 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Personally, I think the biggest difference is the size of the talent pool.

Not having access to the original director can be a problem too; a lot of bad dubs should be laid at the feet of the people who cast and directed them. And yes, while there are a lot of factors that make doing a really good English dub difficult-to-impossible depending on the circumstances, that doesn't mean there haven't been some truly crap Japanese performances out there. If you want the absolute worst dub I've heard in any language, check out the ICE OVAs. None of the Japanese pop singers they cast know how to act worth crap.

What I want to know with Monster, though, is not about the ending theme, but about the internal soundtrack. Why on earth did they scramble tracks within the show itself? This boggles my mind, and until I get an answer that has any validity, forget about me buying this, Viz (I'll continue to get your wonderful manga translations of Urasawa's work, though).
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In North America, maybe Funimation will finally get through their concrete skulls that putting seven episodes of anime on one DVD makes it look like decaying raw sewage, and will wake up and delete their squeezeboxes and re-release all the affected series (including Fruits Basket) with no more than five episodes per DVD. Maybe they (and the former ADV) will also stop dropping and restore on-disc extras once and for all (especially when they delete the single volumes that originally featured them), and list all of them on their packaging. Between the two of them, more people would buy their re-releases instead of tracking down the out-of-print originals, which often results in the people involved in its creation not getting any money out of it. Hint, god damned hint.

I never noticed any quality problems seven episodes on one DVD. It looked fine to me. I think with some people tracking down OOP originals I think it is more a matter of cost than quality. I usually go for OOP but it is more of a cost reasoning as I can sometimes get a series in the OOP individual volumes for much cheaper. Plus I do like some of the extras the originals have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
s.alsa-man1991

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Grossest food? Frankly i can't stand rice balls. Unless dipped in gallons of teriyaki sauce they are tasteless giant round things that I can't bring my self to finish.

Wouldn't that be because white, plain rice itself is, well, plain and tasteless?

Truth be told, the only thing I want out of the anime industry this year is something surprising. Like Serial Experiments Lain was. But not a carbon-copy of Lain. Something new, interesting and deep in its own right, with a different style.

Gladly, I just remembered Despera is coming out in a couple of months.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:43 am Reply with quote
Grossest Japanese food I can think of is that gelatin stuff with the fish eyes in it.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote
The only japanese snack/food I had where these cookies/chocolate things called...

...wait for it...

I don't remember. I THOUGHT they were called Pucca but I think I'm wrong. They were freaking M & M's but instead of a candy shell, it was a dry cookie shell, blegh.

...Luckily, my beloved Kasugai Gummies saved the day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5