• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Gets Hetalia, The Sacred Blacksmith Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megsee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
@whoever was asking me for evidence that Vic is homophobic, I'd say his statement that yaoi doujin was like crayon scribbles on masterpiece artwork makes his stance pretty clear. I don't have direct links to sources because I'm kinda on a friend's computer, but I'm not making things up.

He meant that for series that don't have canon gay pairings (and yes I'm aware of the the whole TRC thing, he didn't know). What he means is that anything like that destroys the original story if that's not how the characters were meant to be viewed. This was mostly in response to FMA yaoi pairings by the way.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
SXAniMedia wrote:

Nothing is preventing you, or other people constantly unsatisfied (no-dub complainers) from starting your own licensing studio/s. I'm sure ANN would happily post your press releases for Shana 2 (or the like) once you guys acquire the capital to license and dub it. Good luck, hope to hear from you all soon. Cool

*loads shotgun* I'm not gonna be takin' any of that sass from you today, young lady!

But, this has nothing to do with me, or dub complainers, or whiners, or none of that. Cause, you see...there's a pretty fine line between crap and not crap. And there is definitely a fine line between a good business decision, and not a very good one. As a long-time devoted, and hopeful anime fan, when I see a pattern that doesn't make much sense, I tend to call it out and not be very happy about it...

Besides, I don't like this anymore; people can't have objective opinions anymore without someone shoving something pompous down their throats. Your post is basically a "Don't like this video game? Well, then make something better!" without realizing just how childish it is...

I'm afraid your the foolish infantile childish one. You don't understand how the R1 market works, do you?

BTW,SXAniMedia is a guy.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Megsee wrote:
Maryohki wrote:
@whoever was asking me for evidence that Vic is homophobic, I'd say his statement that yaoi doujin was like crayon scribbles on masterpiece artwork makes his stance pretty clear. I don't have direct links to sources because I'm kinda on a friend's computer, but I'm not making things up.

He meant that for series that don't have canon gay pairings (and yes I'm aware of the the whole TRC thing, he didn't know). What he means is that anything like that destroys the original story if that's not how the characters were meant to be viewed. This was mostly in response to FMA yaoi pairings by the way.

Um, regardless of what he meant, it's kind of extremely stupid to say? Because fanworks do not alter canon. At all. They're just alternative context and what ifs and maybes. Seriously.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Megsee wrote:
Maryohki wrote:

Don't even get me started on the Sonic game yaoi pairings.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I can see much rejoicing for 'Hetalia'. I heard it's a fun watch. I don't much about it and only known about it from fanart, meme's, games, word of the web. The fact that it's pretty popular on Japanese TV. But I can't say it was my cup of tea. If could see a couple of episodes streamed I could get an idea. After hearing this announcement I didn't realized (after looking this up) that each episode is only 5 mins. And I do like comedies. Maybe I'll give this a look if someone decides to stream a few episodes. But good news nonetheless.
Megsee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
Um, regardless of what he meant, it's kind of extremely stupid to say? Because fanworks do not alter canon. At all. They're just alternative context and what ifs and maybes. Seriously.

It's just his opinion on it, he has nothing against those who read them. The point was that he didn't mean it in a homophobic sense like it was claimed earlier.

Also, he's a voice actor, not an educated expert on anime and manga. To expect him to fully understand something that he's probably never even thought of reading is ridiculous.
Rolling Eyes
Maryohki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Megsee wrote:
Maryohki wrote:

It's just his opinion on it, he has nothing against those who read them. The point was that he didn't mean it in a homophobic sense like it was claimed earlier.

Also, he's a voice actor, not an educated expert on anime and manga. To expect him to fully understand something that he's probably never even thought of reading is ridiculous.
Rolling Eyes

Dude, one can be homophobic without having something against people that read doujin and slashfic. The fact that he is so adamant that no character he's voiced could possibly be gay kind of shows that he has some sort of problem with gay people. Fear, looks down upon them, idk, but it's not a live and let live situation at all.

There is nothing ridiculous about it. It's not like the concept of fanwork is exclusive to anime and manga =/.
Megsee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
Dude, one can be homophobic without having something against people that read doujin and slashfic. The fact that he is so adamant that no character he's voiced could possibly be gay kind of shows that he has some sort of problem with gay people. Fear, looks down upon them, idk, but it's not a live and let live situation at all.

There is nothing ridiculous about it. It's not like the concept of fanwork is exclusive to anime and manga =/.

To his knowledge, he HASN'T voiced a character that has been proven to be gay in that medium. The closest would have to be Tsubasa when he played Fai, but in the anime all of that subtext was basically cut out. If he only paid attention to the anime, he wouldn't have any reason to believe his character was actually gay.

Basically, he's calling it how he sees it, and fans are angry because he hasn't read the manga and might not think of his characters in a way fans might.

I'm not trying to be his white knight here or anything, but I can't stand it when people throw around phrases like "racist" or "homophobe" without any real evidence or research to back it up. It's just plain ignorant.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
SXAniMedia wrote:
John Casey wrote:

And there is definitely a fine line between a good business decision, and not a very good one. As a long-time devoted, and hopeful anime fan, when I see a pattern that doesn't make much sense, I tend to call it out and not be very happy about it...

It makes perfect sense when you look at what types of titles they license and what historically sells well for them. They may not be the titles you or I want, but unless you actually know the cost of the license and how much (Shana for example) sold in the US, how would you know what's a good or bad business decision?

I wasn't referring to Hetalia per say; more like the Shaw Brothers crap, and Master of Martial Hearts.

The Shaw Brothers thing is way beyond my understanding as to WHY....as in, I see no benefit or profit for FUNimation whatsoever, and not as an anime fan....but a movie critic as well. The old school, chop-socky kung-fu market is even more niche and narrow than the anime demographic, so I fail to see why a company who specializes in anime would move to something much, much riskier. It's like Valve trying to create a JRPG to compete with Final Fantasy XIII.

As for Hearts, I've noticed a recent trend in companies: They're licensing low-risk shows - stuff that's been well received in the home turf. So frankly, that acquisition puzzles me.
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
SXAniMedia wrote:
John Casey wrote:

And there is definitely a fine line between a good business decision, and not a very good one. As a long-time devoted, and hopeful anime fan, when I see a pattern that doesn't make much sense, I tend to call it out and not be very happy about it...

It makes perfect sense when you look at what types of titles they license and what historically sells well for them. They may not be the titles you or I want, but unless you actually know the cost of the license and how much (Shana for example) sold in the US, how would you know what's a good or bad business decision?

I wasn't referring to Hetalia per say; more like the Shaw Brothers crap, and Master of Martial Hearts.

The Shaw Brothers thing is way beyond my understanding as to WHY....as in, I see no benefit or profit for FUNimation whatsoever, and not as an anime fan....but a movie critic as well. The old school, chop-socky kung-fu market is even more niche and narrow than the anime demographic, so I fail to see why a company who specializes in anime would move to something much, much riskier. It's like Valve trying to create a JRPG to compete with Final Fantasy XIII.

As for Hearts, I've noticed a recent trend in companies: They're licensing low-risk shows - stuff that's been well received in the home turf. So frankly, that acquisition puzzles me.

Diversification.

A number of anime companies are and have been going the Live Action route as it supplements their revenue sources and widens their reach - based on the trends, it seems like it's been working for a number of companies.

Whether these pick-ups in particular will pan out is anyone's guess. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Wink

Beyond that, Lance from Funimation talks a bit about this and their reasoning in the recent ANNCast.
TsuraraUzumaki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:37 am Reply with quote
Axis Powers Hetalia is being dubbed.

Yes.

Anyways, I'm really excited to see what the voices will sound like, and if they'll implement accents. I love this show because of its brand of humor. It could potentially be offensive (Hello, Germany!), but it's not. It just... dances on that really delicate line.

I can't wait! Anime hyper
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote
SXAniMedia wrote:
Nothing is preventing you, or other people constantly unsatisfied (no-dub complainers) from starting your own licensing studio/s. I'm sure ANN would happily post your press releases for Shana 2 (or the like) once you guys acquire the capital to license and dub it. Good luck, hope to hear from you all soon. Cool
Out of curiosity, does anyone actually know, logistically speaking, what it would cost and what skill-sets would be required to do that? I mean, seriously, how many users of this site have ever started a company period. (If anyone has an actual idea of the start-up cost and what kind of staff would be needed, I beg you to PM me because I'd honestly like to know.)

Maryohki wrote:
When did tolerance stop meaning "being tolerate" and become "is supportive of?"

If Vic were actively attacking homosexuality, then you'd have a point but a "live and let live situation" is exactly what he appears to have at the bare minimum. He hasn't said, to my knowledge, that homosexuality or the Yaoi genre in and of themselves is wrong. Rather it seems he's voiced several opinions that have perfectly valid reasons that have nothing to do with not liking homosexuals. He doesn't like doujinshi that ignores the original characterization, perhaps he doesn't like doujinshi at all that isn't made by the creators themselves. He's said he doesn't think the characters he's voiced in English dubs were intended to be presented as homosexuals. Whether or not he's correct about that is a matter of opinion until the creators give their Word of God.

Whether or not he's actually talked to any of those creators is something we can't easily prove or disprove as dubbing often times DOES allow actors and directors to talk to people in Japan, like the creators, as part of getting the Japanese approval for a dub. (Many English dubs do require the Japanese to sign-off on them.)

I'm not trying to attack you Maryohki but I do think you're throwing some rather serious accusations around without enough proof. I've watched several vids of Vic which supposedly show his "homophobia" and all I got out of them was he doesn't like non-canon pairings. If that's equal to hate speech, then wow. Especially considering that about half the comments I've read attacking him, specifically attacked him for being a Christian. Directly. With cursing.

Personally, I was seeing a lot of religious intolerance and not a lot of homophobia.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:54 am Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:

But still, Stephen Colbert is way too known to do anime voice works.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0170306/
Colbert's done a lot. Considering all the ensemble work he's done, I don't doubt he could do it if he wanted. However, I don't see Hetalia as that big outside the anime fandom for someone like him to be interested & this would very much be the type of thing that would require the actor to be a fan & volunteer to work at the going rate out of love of the project & we haven't seen that out of Colbert.
Disney manages to land name-brand actors for Miyazaki films all of which should be dubbed in typical anime style. Armitage-Keifer Sutherland.

Is Hetalia BL? Does it matter? It is not blatent yaoi. It seems no more than hinted, leaving lots of room for speculation.

Quote:
To his knowledge, he HASN'T voiced a character that has been proven to be gay in that medium.

Has Mignogna played a gay character? Why would he care to make any sort of answer on the subject unless it bothers him?
Sugino/Tactics seems to be married to a small male monster. Maybe it's female, but it's hard to tell. Maybe it's asexual, but Sugino calls it his wife. Ikkaku is suspect. Yumichika pretty much does seem to be in love with Ikkaku, but it's up to the viewer to decide how far the relationship's gone. That whole samurai code could justify such a relationship for Ikkaku.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:42 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Maryohki wrote:
@whoever was asking me for evidence that Vic is homophobic, I'd say his statement that yaoi doujin was like crayon scribbles on masterpiece artwork makes his stance pretty clear.

... I don't think that makes anything clear at all really... I sort of think that about doujinshi anyway, yaoi or not, but that doesn't make me homophobic.

Here! Here! Generally doujinshi is rather like that alot. I mean, I have seen my fair share of doujinshi - Yaoi, Yuri, Hentai and normal. I find that only the normal ones try to pay respect to the original manga/ anime. Though alot are 'playing on relationships' too much.

Maryohki why don't you give up? I mean you can't give us any solid evidence that he is homophobic, sure he may SEEM it - but unless you give us evidence you are digging a huge hole for yourself.

The thing is that he is Christian (I really don't think I need to pull any evidence up for that one), and his religion and possibly upbringing may just give him off vibes out it. You can't say. And I know people who say he is homophobic BECAUSE of his religion. WE can't say and we can't know unless he says it himself.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I've long since given up. Not because I'm wrong, but because those arguing me clearly won't be swayed with anything. If I had an interview with Vic involving him stating that gay people are the scum of the earth and for every gay act that takes place, God kills a kitten and you still wouldn't believe me. If you want to blindly believe in his innocence, fine.

And um, if you seriously think that doujinshi can be likened to crayon scribbles on the Mona Lisa, then you really don't know much about art, and honestly you're a pretty closed-minded, narrow individual and I'd prefer to never associate with you <3.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14