• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Gets Hetalia, The Sacred Blacksmith Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
This announcement didn't really thrill me but didn't disappoint either.

Hetalia is one I am interested in and have heard a lot about so i'll give it a chance, be very interesting to hear it dubbed aswell. Sacred Blacksmith from the looks and from what i've heard is basically Boobs + Swords.

All in all the FLCL rescue was nice and them grabbing Hetalia was good too but nothing I really went crazy for. Hopefully their saving the good announcements for the upcoming animecons this year.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:

I have literally no interest in buying any of these licensed titles, including all of that Asian film crap. I'm an Anime fan, not a fan of everything Asian. There is a difference between a weeaboo and an Otaku you know.

Well, you may not enjoy it, but I know that myself, and many other anime fans enjoy 'that Asian film crap.' Funimation doesn't only license anime, there are fans of martial arts movies who will buy them, so why make a big stink about it?

Anyway, aside from Hetalia, which might be cool, nothing really has piqued my interest. I'll admit to being a bit disappointed by these announcements. Since this week was being so hyped, I was expecting something like Eva 2.0, or Toradora! However, I'm sure there are others out there who are looking forward to these new titles.
Myself, I'll just stick to getting excited over Rightstuf and Sentai licenses, since those seem to run closer to my taste.
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Well..... im glad i'll get to buy APH now. (love the show) Or rather soon/sometime in the future..... at a decent price. So I suppose thats a plus.... But please, god oh please no Vic. (He's a good VA i'll give em' that. But he's like eveywhere. I'd have no problem if he was in it so long as it was a minor character or he did a REALLY good job. Its just that he seems to be in everything that its starting to grate on my nerves) Or off the wall/sucky accents. Or alot of the other potential issues I see this having. While I can't say im too excited about it being dubbed (which I usually prefer) I have no problem simply switching to the subs on the dvd. So I actually am happy it got licensed. Though I can't imagine who the cast would be, assuming they'll dub it. But pleasssse let it be a good one. I'd actually like to see it dubbed if they did a fairly decent job. (I havn't seen too many bad dubs come outta Funi but still...) Im shocked and on the fence about a possible dub, but overall i'm happy.

As for the Sacred Blacksmith, it does look pretty interesting so I might watch it. Not too worried about it getting dubbed if ever because like I said, I havn't seen too many bad dubs from Funi. And it does look like its around the ball park of the usual shows they do.

So overall, i'm happy Anime smile + sweatdrop

Last edited by peachsncreamsoda on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, you guys can whine, but I'm going to throw a party. HETALIA! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! It's the only meandering gag show I joyfully tune in to watch every week...Probably only because it's so marvelously irreverent...still kind of sweetly irreverent, though, the Japanese approach to satire seems to be much tamer and more subtle than the American approach a la Saturday Night Live and others. And yeah...I'm fully aware it's doing for girls what Lucky Star was kinda doing for guys, but whatever, I like it for the internationally cruel humor.

Maryohki wrote:
If they goof on Hetalia, heads will roll. If Vic Mignogna gets a part, heads will roll. So heads will probably be rolling. =/.

There are HOW many characters in Hetalia, 99.9% of them men, and many of them wildly funny, effeminate, or screaming spastic, and you DON'T think he's going to get a part? I'd be disappointed if he didn't. My prediction is England but it really could be a lot of those characters.

As for the accents, I think they might be appropriate on some characters and not so much on others, so I imagine the directors will just use discretion for what sounds good and what doesn't. Like, you could maybe use a SLIGHT accent for Italy, but not a heavy one, Japan gets no accent by default, and England or France could probably lay it on thick. Just some shots in the dark there, but it depends on what sounds good.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Do yourself a favor and don't get excited about Blacksmith. It's yet another Tenchi series that blows with a twist-- it's in a fantasy land!

Does it really look like the stoic male lead has harem? Confused

Throughout the entire series, it was Cecily who seems to attract a bunch of girls.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
My prediction is England but it really could be a lot of those characters.
If I had to cast him (Vic M.) as someone (and you're right, with so many characters it seems inevitable unless they make everyone voice 5 apiece), I'd make him into the sorta cluelessly optimistic, take-charge (whether you like it or not) America.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
YES! Though I admit I stopped watching after like, ep. 25 it was because I couldn't find it anywhere online (i.e.- too lazy) and I really wanted to sit down and marathon it. I am so happy Very Happy This would be perfect to show my friends once it has a dub (assuming it does because it's Funimation) Yay! I'm also suprised The Sacred Blacksmith got licensed, is it even finished airing? Wow, that was quick.
Yay Hetalia Very Happy
Edit: finished reading, but still a licensing annoucement 2 weeks after it finishes airing, pretty quick

Last edited by Mistypearl on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Anime hyper As soon as I saw "Funimation gets Hetalia", I could just hear the squealing of hundreds of happy fangirls and fanboys. Hopefully Funi will place a few of the episodes on their video portal before release date for those unsure of the show (I've heard a lot about it, but never seen it).

But overall, their Roll-Out Riot was pretty interesting, although it was lukewarm on what they offered for it. The only really big highlights are being Hetalia and FLCL's rescue, IMO. But I'm sure Funi will surprise us plenty times more this year. -coughxxxHolicKeipleasecough-
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

As for the accents, I think they might be appropriate on some characters and not so much on others, so I imagine the directors will just use discretion for what sounds good and what doesn't. Like, you could maybe use a SLIGHT accent for Italy, but not a heavy one, Japan gets no accent by default, and England or France could probably lay it on thick. Just some shots in the dark there, but it depends on what sounds good.

Hmm, it's probably a good thing that Funi licensed this, because Hetalia seems like it would benefit from a dub. In a show where all the characters are different countries, it'll be more interesting to hear their different accents. As a rule (and I don't know if it applies to this title) Japanese never seem to have accents, other than other Japanese dialects, or North Americans, whose only accent seems to be that they yell very slowly.

Edit: I think I need to listen to a dub with Vic Mignogna in it, since I seem to always see people arguing about whether he's a good actor or not.
Scamp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't think people here quite realise what a big deal this liscencing of Hetalia is. It may not have created much of an impact among standard anime circles but take a look slightly off the beaten track and there are hundreds of thousands of people absolutely estatic at this announcement. Hetalia will sell and sell well.

Blacksmith = bleargh
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty disappointed by this Roll-Out. Nothing even remotely interesting. No Yu Yu Hakusho movies, no DBZ Jump Special, no more Case Closed........
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Blacksmith was Japanese self-gratifying bullshit. OUL SWOLDS ALE THE BESTURU - is basically the underlying premise of the show. Other than that, it was pretty stupid, a real big steaming pile from Manglobe. But I guess even they need to pump out the moe in order make a buck off of otaku these days. Lord knows Michiko to Hatchin was anathema for them.

Hetalia on the other hand is downright hilarious.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Hetalia and The Sacred Blacksmith coming later this year with both titles being fairly popluar on Sky7anime union fansubbing site.

A much better aqcusistion than yesterdays for Funimation.

(Adds Asu No Yoichi to list of possible future Section23 licenses.)
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
No Yu Yu Hakusho movies...

I would have loved to see the Yu Yu Hakusho movies and ova's get picked up by Funimation but are the licenses even available for them? I mean have the original licensees lost the rights to them?
Zilan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people talking smack about Blacksmith but haven't even watched 2 episodes? Enjoy your Yaoi Hetalia fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14