• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Shoujo Anthology from Viz

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:38 pm Reply with quote
That's what I thought! Animerica Extra was pretty much shoujo when I quit reading it (I think they had Video Girl Ai as an exception).

Personally, I'd rather have the manga books come out every 2-3 months than to have a manga anthology and the books coming out every 6 months to 1 year.

EDIT: found a link from AoD, but you have to register for it:
http://www.latimes.com/services/site/premium/access-registered.intercept
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:02 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Yes. Being an illiterate slut is so much cooler.

Reading comics is hardly the bar by which literacy should be jusged.

-t
NeoSam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Quote:
Boys Be is seinen.

No it isn't. It's straight from Kodansha's Shonen Magazine. Why does everyone think this is seinen? Because of the art style?

My mistake Embarassed , its shounen.
Well I thought it was serialized in a seinen magazine.
Kateonfire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Here's a link that doesn't require registering, I'm pretty sure it's the right one. Just a little mention of Shoujo Beat.

The prospect of a decent shoujo anthology is enough to make me consider a subscription. Animerica Extra was good, but I missed the train on that one. I just hope, as NeoSam says, that the titles they include are actually shoujo. None of this "Girls love shojo manga like Love Hina and Chobits" stuff. Personally, I remember voting for W Juliet on that survey.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:55 pm Reply with quote
*stares at God Child on that list* ... ... *checks again* I'm not imagining God Child, am I? God Child as in, the series by Kaori Yuki? God Child, as in the sequel to Count Cain? God Child, as in the series I shamelessly begged for to be picked up earlier in this thread. *checks again, and gets ready to run around the school telling all her friends*

... Then again, this could be a bad thing. Seems I have the unfortunate luck of all my favourite series getting liscensed *which is good*, but only the SEQUEL title. This looks like it's going to be another one of those, but luckily God Child can stand pretty well on its own.
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:39 pm Reply with quote
*GASP* Akachan to Boku!! Oh man, I really want to read this! I saw old fansubs of the first couple anime episodes and every single episode basically made me cry! And my boyfriend said he read the entire thing when he lived in Korea.. he'll be happy to see it's coming here, too.

Just a question though- will they still be releasing these titles as graphic novels, or no? Because, in all honesty I'd rather get graphic novels, but if anthologies are the only way...

Hurray, sounds like they picked some good titles! ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bakedleech

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To further complement the new magazine’s launch, VIZ will also simultaneously debut a SHOJO BEAT graphic novel line, which will offer an ongoing library of new shôjo titles from all three publishers at $8.99.

From the Viz press release at AnimeOnDVD.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote
bakedleech wrote:
Quote:
To further complement the new magazine’s launch, VIZ will also simultaneously debut a SHOJO BEAT graphic novel line, which will offer an ongoing library of new shôjo titles from all three publishers at $8.99.

From the Viz press release at AnimeOnDVD.

Yay for (slightly) cheaper comics!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
*stares at God Child on that list* ... ... *checks again* I'm not imagining God Child, am I? God Child as in, the series by Kaori Yuki? God Child, as in the sequel to Count Cain? God Child, as in the series I shamelessly begged for to be picked up earlier in this thread. *checks again, and gets ready to run around the school telling all her friends*

... Then again, this could be a bad thing. Seems I have the unfortunate luck of all my favourite series getting liscensed *which is good*, but only the SEQUEL title. This looks like it's going to be another one of those, but luckily God Child can stand pretty well on its own.

I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps they'll do the whole Earl Cain series but under the title God Child? It would be odd if they picked it up at the fifth book, but like you said, Cain is pretty episodic and therefore generally each volume is a good read in and of itself.

Anyhow, I'm just ecstatic at the news of God Child and Nana being licensed! They're two of my all-time favorite mange series (not to mention by two of my favorite manga-ka). I've been waiting so long to read them in English, and it's great to see Kaori Yuki and Ai Yazawa getting the attention they deserve.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot about Zettai Kareshi! It's also one of my favorite series (all of my favorites are being licensed - I'm so happy I could cry). Oh, and I think it's great as well that they're releasing a shoujo manga anthology in the U.S. (it always pissed me off that shounen manga seemed to get all the attention). One last statement - were the series choices indeed influenced by Viz's online survey? If so, then my time was not wasted because I told them that I wanted to see Nana and Cain in English. Ergo, everyone can thank *me* for them being licensed. Wink
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ergo, everyone can thank *me* for them being licensed.

:D Thank you!

I've heard good things about God Child and Nana, and of course, Yuu Watase generally promises goodness. What's Crimson Hero about? I like the artist's style.

I don't like Marimo Ragawa's stuff much though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Annie_Jr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:15 pm Reply with quote
This "Shojo Beat" Seems interesting. I think I'll pick up a copy and see if I like it. A compilation of shoujo manga seems like it would be pretty cool to see in a huge "shonen jump" format.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:16 am Reply with quote
Tempest:
Quote:

Reading comics is hardly the bar by which literacy should be jusged.

It didn't diminish Stan Lee's vocabulary...

Anyway, Jump was based on established anime titles, so whether Shoujo Beat will have the same success on Yuu Watase alone remains to be seen.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyway, Jump was based on established anime titles, so whether Shoujo Beat will have the same success on Yuu Watase alone remains to be seen.

Ai Yazawa is also well-known among American shoujo readers, and already has two comics (well, two parts of the same series..) out in the US.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:09 am Reply with quote
Forgot about her. Anyway, considering that they're directly competing with fashion magazines for the same demographic, Viz should probably include fahion-related articles as bonus material. Focus on what's hot in Japan right now. Maybe have a romance advice column as well. (Hopefully, it'll do better there than it did at Anime Love...) Stuff like that.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:38 am Reply with quote
Kateonfire wrote:
None of this "Girls love shojo manga like Love Hina and Chobits" stuff.

...o.o Aren't those both manga aimed towards boys, not girls? ^^;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3