• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Shoujo Anthology from Viz

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stagedive_25

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:43 am Reply with quote
Put my reply on the wrong topic. How annoying Anime smile + sweatdrop

But anyway, I'm surprised that how many people haven't heard about Sakura Pak. It's a shoujo anthology published by EigoManga that's been out since 2004. I've got Book 1 and it's pretty good.

Back in the summer they did have a naming contest for Sakura Pak just like Viz.

But seriously, those guys really need to improve their marketing or something.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
Kateonfire wrote:
None of this "Girls love shojo manga like Love Hina and Chobits" stuff.

...o.o Aren't those both manga aimed towards boys, not girls? ^^;

Er, yeah, that was kinda the point they were making... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
stream

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kateonfire wrote:
None of this "Girls love shojo manga like Love Hina and Chobits" stuff.

...o.o Aren't those both manga aimed towards boys, not girls? ^^;

Actually, By CLAMP Chobits considered to be both shoujo/shounen title (although in ANN it classified as shounen) ..
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:55 pm Reply with quote
stream wrote:

Actually, By CLAMP Chobits considered to be both shoujo/shounen title (although in ANN it classified as shounen) ..

Constant sexual loli humor = shounen.

Quote:
But anyway, I'm surprised that how many people haven't heard about Sakura Pak. It's a shoujo anthology published by EigoManga that's been out since 2004. I've got Book 1 and it's pretty good.

Back in the summer they did have a naming contest for Sakura Pak just like Viz.

I've heard of that, but it isn't sold anywhere. Eigomanga's marketing is awful, they won't be able to compete with Viz. None of it's titles sound entirely interesting (or entirely shoujo) either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:52 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Forgot about her. Anyway, considering that they're directly competing with fashion magazines for the same demographic, Viz should probably include fahion-related articles as bonus material. Focus on what's hot in Japan right now. Maybe have a romance advice column as well. (Hopefully, it'll do better there than it did at Anime Love...) Stuff like that.

I hope they don't put in that advice crap. It's be ok for Japanophiles, but Smile had the same extact thing, and they didn't do so well. These titles are covering a wide variety of girls who don't all like the same fashion trends.

You can also add Kaori Yuki as to having a pretty well developed fanbase here, which is perhaps bigger than Aizawa's. I think Viz did a great job with their selection. These titles aren't anime based, but their authors already have little cult followings here in the US. So far, this really does seem like a great shoujo anthology that isn't at all targeting pre-teens and younger. Some of these titles deal with sex issues *hello Zettai Kareshi!* and Cain/God Child alone has a very nice amount of gore, shonen-ai hints, incest suggestion, and well, demented story lines in general. It's definatly not something for kids.

Also, it's not much, but if God Child graces the cover at any point, you can bet they'll be pulling in a ton of readers from the goth crowd who normally wouldn't touch manga.

Are pre-order subscriptions already being taken? They bought me out with God Child.
stagedive_25

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:05 pm Reply with quote
The thing with Sakura Pak is that not all the stories are teenie boppin bubble gum pop stuff they think that girls want to read. I think the selection of stories are very diverse but they all try to reach a female audience.

I agree with EigoManga marketing comment. It's too damn hard to find their books but they claim that its in stores everywhere.

How's anyone gonna compete with Viz? It's like a David and Goliath match. Corporate capitalism at it's finest.

I see an AmeriaManga ending for Sakura Pak Crying or Very sad
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:33 pm Reply with quote
greenwolf: If cult followings were enough, then Raijin would still be selling magazines. Again, you're talking about winning over a demographic that is more likely to buy a copy of Seventeen than read a comic book. It's a huge difference from selling a magazine which features DBZ and a free Yu Gi Oh card. Viz is going to have to tap into that market if they want to stay on top.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:50 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
greenwolf: If cult followings were enough, then Raijin would still be selling magazines. Again, you're talking about winning over a demographic that is more likely to buy a copy of Seventeen than read a comic book. It's a huge difference from selling a magazine which features DBZ and a free Yu Gi Oh card. Viz is going to have to tap into that market if they want to stay on top.

I'm not saying that it's going to sell more than Shonen Jump, I'm just saying that they're targeting a whole nother age group and sex. And your saying they're targeting the demographic that would buy seventeen. If this was true, they're going to loose. However, thankfully the seventeen demographic doesn't cover the whole female gender, and there are actually girls, and even a bigger number of women, who read. Thankfully Viz has this demographic to go after, and if it is anything, which it most likely is from the business standpoint, the proof that shoujo manga outsells shonen manga here in the US.
R.G.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:47 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Kaze Hikaru in this thread,so . . .

Since I first heard about KH,I noticed the plot (female poses as male soldier in a time of revoultion),I realized it was similar to Rose of Versailes.

I for one am glad to finally get to read it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3