• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation: No More Big Windup! Anime to Be Licensed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FeralKat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Zac wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Can I just ask why the answer to a question on Twitter is being hailed as set-in-stone, permanent reality? Can I also ask why this is news? And finally, can I ask why this is all regarding a season that no one has seen any of it yet?

No offense pal but you sound like you might not be great at running a news organization if you honestly can't see why this would be considered newsworthy

Zac, I know you've been around the block. You've seen series no one thought would ever be licensed get licensed, you've seen trends change... what makes you so confident you can post FUNi saying "We're not going to get Big Windup! S2" as news, or do you post every scrap of material that comes down the pipe that resembles new- *looks at the front page* Oh nevermind.

Uh... Considering this thread has made it to 7 pages already, I would guess it's newsworthy to a lot of people.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:

I have a question for members of ANN. How many of you are baseball fans? I am a huge baseball fan of a Major League League team located in the Northeastern part of the United States. A friend told me that baseball is more enjoyable if you know the rules and have been to a live baseball game. How many of you have ever been to a live baseball game?

There is no place more fun than Wrigley Field on a nice summer day for baseball.

If that sentence doesn't give it away, I'm a die-hard Chicago Cubs fan.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Zac, I know you've been around the block. You've seen series no one thought would ever be licensed get licensed, you've seen trends change... what makes you so confident you can post FUNi saying "We're not going to get Big Windup! S2" as news, or do you post every scrap of material that comes down the pipe that resembles new- *looks at the front page* Oh nevermind.

First of all, ANN is a team and we have a news editor. His name is Egan Loo. I don't post the news.

Secondly, did you run to all the other sites that picked this up as an item or all the other people talking about it and tell them it isn't interesting or newsworthy? Because the response to the item pretty much proves it is news - or at least it's what our readers are interested in.

You seem to think otaku armchair quarterbacking the sentiment they made in the podcast - basically second-guessing statements from the company itself based on whatever you think is right - is somehow a better way to determine what's newsworthy and what isn't.

This is like the President saying "we'll be out of Iraq in 2011" and you're the guy printing the news and you say "Well, probably not, that timetable doesn't make sense to me" because you have some feeling about it one way or the other and so you don't print it as news.

Which is dumb. Not only that it isn't journalism.

Splitter wrote:

But is it newsworthy because its actually news or is it newsworthy because its sensationalism?

Did someone crown you King of What's News and What Isn't when I wasn't looking or something? I understand you probably believe your personal judgement on the issue is vastly superior to the people who actually do it for a living but just askin'...

Last edited by Zac on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
FeralKat wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Zac wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Can I just ask why the answer to a question on Twitter is being hailed as set-in-stone, permanent reality? Can I also ask why this is news? And finally, can I ask why this is all regarding a season that no one has seen any of it yet?

No offense pal but you sound like you might not be great at running a news organization if you honestly can't see why this would be considered newsworthy

Uh... Considering this thread has made it to 7 pages already, I would guess it's newsworthy to a lot of people.

But is it newsworthy because its actually news or is it newsworthy because its sensationalism?
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Splinter: It's still news even if later news makes this piece of news moot.

It still doesn't change the fact that, from the guys who are a part of those responsible for organizing licenses, gave an honest to god answer that the sales numbers don't support any further ventures for the second season at the time. Maybe when the US anime industry is healthier again they can go back and grab Season 2 but for now and for those expecting Season 2? It might be a bit of a wait at best since this attempt of bringing in a different genre to the western audience fell short again. Plus this wouldn't be the first series that didn't get to be fully distributed after being licensed or only saw a short release time before dissappearing forever. Ah Kodocha, your second season sucked anyways but its still sad. Sorry Detective Conan TV series, Lupan the 3rd, Hikaru no Go, Eyeshield 21, Japanese Macross, and Voltron aka Go Lions. Well okay, Voltron is finishing out but man, already in the bargain bins. Fight on Sgt. Frog! Your dragon incarnate still believes in you!

Going along with what a few random post have touched on, hopefully this news will motivate a nice surge in purchases and a nice wake up call and slap in the face to the fandom. Not all series have the power to survive the "wait for x reason" approach and really, if you like the series then buy it. No need to feel "duped" if you bought yours for $10 or $20+ more then people who got into the series after you did. In fact, your the reason other fans still have a chance to see the series and can get it at a cheaper price. Be proud.
The Count

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Going along with what a few random post have touched on, hopefully this news will motivate a nice surge in purchases and a nice wake up call and slap in the face to the fandom. Not all series have the power to survive the "wait for x reason" approach and really, if you like the series then buy it. No need to feel "duped" if you bought yours for $10 or $20+ more then people who got into the series after you did. In fact, your the reason other fans still have a chance to see the series and can get it at a cheaper price. Be proud.
I can't shake the feeling that this was posted for just that reason. To get more people to buy the show. Not that I care I still find it interesting, and would love the second season. Maybe I'm wrong here but when's the last time you seen this site post an article that a show isn't coming stateside? But then again I can't remember the last time I heard a U.S. publisher be so candid about licenses as FUNI was on that ANNcast.
bayoab

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
FeralKat wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Zac wrote:
Splitter wrote:

*notices post on another forum*
Is your objection ("sensationalism") really that they put an absolutist headline (No more) and story instead of a very heavily provisional headline (Unless the box sets are over 9000, no more) and story or the just plain deceptive positive one (More big windup only if box set sales exceed 9000)?
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Splitter wrote:

First of all, ANN is a team and we have a news editor. His name is Egan Loo. I don't post the news.

Secondly, did you run to all the other sites that picked this up as an item or all the other people talking about it and tell them it isn't interesting or newsworthy? Because the response to the item pretty much proves it is news - or at least it's what our readers are interested in.

You seem to think otaku armchair quarterbacking the sentiment they made in the podcast - basically second-guessing statements from the company itself based on whatever you think is right - is somehow a better way to determine what's newsworthy and what isn't.

This is like the President saying "we'll be out of Iraq in 2011" and you're the guy printing the news and you say "Well, probably not, that timetable doesn't make sense to me" because you have some feeling about it one way or the other and so you don't print it as news.

Which is dumb. Not only that it isn't journalism.

Splitter wrote:

Did someone crown you King of What's News and What Isn't when I wasn't looking or something? I understand you probably believe your personal judgement on the issue is vastly superior to the people who actually do it for a living but just askin'...

First off, you're great at shutting posters down. I can only imagine the experience necessary to do it at the drop of a hat, but I'm being serious here. Are you producing sensationalism? I find it suspect when the "story" comes from ANN's podcast from a Twitter question where you said you were going to do your best to avoid "are you going to license this show" questions. I'm sorry if I've somehow crossed the line by wondering if this story is produced sensationalism. I'll be more blind next time.

Second off, I think it's pretty funny you're lecturing me on thinking I have superior judgment. Call the kettle black much?
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
I have wanted to go see a live baseball game for some time now, but that was more for the food than anything else (everyone says baseball hot dogs, fries, and nachos are the best). But now that I've been watching all this baseball anime (Major, Big Windup, Cross Game, Taishou Yakyuu Musume, Princess Nine), which has sort of piqued my interest, maybe I can actually watch the game itself with some enjoyment.

So this actually worked the reverse for me. The anime made me interested in the sport.

I had a few baseball field/park/stadium hot dogs and Italian sausages. They are very good but they cost a lot. I am not sure how much the food costs at other baseball fields/parks/stadiums. At the baseball park where I go, everything inside costs more than if you were to purchase it outside the venue.

I am glad to hear that the multiple baseball anime series you have watched has made you more interested in baseball. It is a very interesting sport when you think about it.

ikillchicken wrote:
I don't think it's entirely fair though to act as if this is the norm. Rightstuf has some nice sales that can help fans save. That's assuming fans are able to shop there though. You need a credit card which many younger fans may not have. Also, if you are on a tighter budget, and can't always qualify for free shipping there may be added costs. Even if you shop exclusively there though they only have sales from a given publisher a couple times a year. It takes a great deal of patience and effort to get these bargains. I think it's great if fans are willing to do so if it helps make anime more affordable to them. However, it doesn't entirely dismiss concerns over some more costly releases.

I always wait for the periodic sales RightStuf to buy stuff. I usually end up spending enough to qualify for free shipping. It works for me since but by the time they have a second Funimation sale (in the future), they will have added more items to their catalog. It takes a lot of patience but it is worth it in the end.

It is interesting to note that RightStuf allows customers to mail or fax in orders. It takes more work but in the end but you would still be saving money. All it costs is an envelope, postage, and a money order fee. I must investigate further if the periodic sales' discount apply to orders made with this method.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:08 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

First off, you're great at shutting posters down. I can only imagine the experience necessary to do it at the drop of a hat, but I'm being serious here. Are you producing sensationalism? I find it suspect when the "story" comes from ANN's podcast from a Twitter question where you said you were going to do your best to avoid "are you going to license this show" questions. I'm sorry if I've somehow crossed the line by wondering if this story is produced sensationalism. I'll be more blind next time.

Second off, I think it's pretty funny you're lecturing me on thinking I have superior judgment. Call the kettle black much?

Okay - well, firstly there's a line between "sensationalism" and "writing up a news post because you think people might find it interesting". Egan listened to the podcast and thusly thought it was a newsworthy item. I didn't tell him to write this up, there is no conspiracy here or some hidden agenda. It's not like we all sat around a card table and said "Hey, you know what's worthless information but will get people really riled up? This thing!".

Egan thought it was news, which I agree it is - at least noteworthy enough to be mentioned for the many people who read our news but do not listen to my podcast.

I like how you put "story" in quotes there and then suggest that somehow absolutely everything that could ever come out of the podcast is worthless trifle and that two senior ANN staff members interviewing two well-known executives from the largest company in the business we cover for a living couldn't possibly ever be newsworthy, especially because the question came from Twitter. Not only that, the question wasn't "will you ever license this", it's "how did this show perform and will you consider more sports shows". Yeah I guess if you want to nitpick and be kind of a dick about it you could complain that... you know what, enough. People obviously care about this item, it's of obvious interest. Even AOD decided this particular news needed its own thread so people who didn't listen to the podcast could discuss it anyway.

You're overreacting to what you think is "sensationalism", which this isn't. Not only that but your entire argument seems to hinge on the belief that it is somehow EVIL AND WRONG for an organization to ever promote news or items of note that may come from interviews they themselves conducted. I don't know where you got that from but it's really... uh, silly.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:17 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
do you post every scrap of material that comes down the pipe that resembles new- *looks at the front page* Oh nevermind.

May you specify which news item on the front page (left side) you do not consider newsworthy?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:17 am Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
I always wait for the periodic sales RightStuf to buy stuff. I usually end up spending enough to qualify for free shipping. It works for me since but by the time they have a second Funimation sale (in the future), they will have added more items to their catalog. It takes a lot of patience but it is worth it in the end.

It is interesting to note that RightStuf allows customers to mail or fax in orders. It takes more work but in the end but you would still be saving money. All it costs is an envelope, postage, and a money order fee. I must investigate further if the periodic sales' discount apply to orders made with this method.

Yeah, it's definitely not impossible. I just think that for some people the effort you have to put in is a bit much. Maybe it's something they will do but I wouldn't exactly fault them for not being willing to go to so much trouble. Both having to pay full price or having to pay less and go through all that bother may be fair reason to complain in some cases.
3mapletrees

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:54 am Reply with quote
I bought season 1 and enjoyed it throughly. I'm am saddened that sales were such that season 2 will not be licensed. I will hold out a blind hope that there will be something that will change funi's mind...like the discontent on this forum!
kenji_salk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:28 am Reply with quote
anyone think there's a chance of someone releasing the second season subtitled at least?

I'd like to have it all on Region 1 DVD, even if it means missing out on the stellar dub.

this whole thing is really bumming me out, it's the only anime from the past couple of years I've gotten this into. :<
tankerboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:23 am Reply with quote
I don't know if this is the place to post this but until the ANNcast I was only vaguely aware of Big Windup! and after reading the synopsis, I gotta say, it still doesn't sound all that interesting. However, I'm a big fan of Cross Game and rank Touch, Bamboo Blade, and Yawara! among my favorites - how does it compare to any of these?

As an aside, by reading a publication or watching a news program you are implicitly giving them permission to select what they think is important for you to know or what might interest you. If you are not the publisher or manager you really don't have much say-so in what gets published/aired. If you don't agree with this the best advice I've ever heard is what Eddie Murphy said you should do if you don't like what you or your children are viewing: Turn The Damn Thing Off! I personally think that almost all ANN "news" posts are items that are either newsworthy or noteworthy or both (perhaps a fine distinction) and of interest; because of this I check it daily.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10