• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation: No More Big Windup! Anime to Be Licensed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malik_chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:36 am Reply with quote
Woot! Glad they're keeping the original FLCL dub.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:42 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

hissatsu01 wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
$70 for a 26 episodes isn't cool. And yes you can find it cheaper- just wait until the complete set hits.

Why pay that much? Funis shooting themsleves in the foot with the complete boxsets coming out for less than one part. Thats why i didn't buy them although they are on my list. If they release a complete set they'll see more sale numbers. People aren't stupid and they aren't just going to throw away money.

If you refuse to buy anything until it reaches the bargain bin or is released as a complete series, don't complain when fewer shows are licensed.

IAWTC.
Only shows that do well in their initial release will be re-released as complete box sets. And dude-- How can you not be satisfied with half-season sets? Who pays retail these days, anyway?

Wait, what? That doesn't make sense at all.

Neither does the lets-milk-the-consumers-to-support-the-industry view. It's like the singles vs box sets debate again.

And if the Viridian sets doesn't provide additional sales why would they do them at all?

I don't see the problem with waiting if it's too costly for you now. That's what I'm planning to do with Big Windup and do for most titles that aren't what I consider 'A' grade or must have titles (for me). Same with Sousei no Aquarion for example, waited until the Viridian set came out so it's $40+ for a complete set instead of ~$80+.

(And FYI, core studio costs--the fixed costs to actually create the show: animation, voice actors, director, writers all amount to 16-20% of total cost of anime; that means there's 80+% potential to lean out and reduce costs from the big fat biz side (lots of middle men) without cutting into creators income. It's similar to large music labels)

Edit:
I've mentioned this before when discussing R2 prices, but in terms of "value": everything is priced the same (or more) but not everything is worth the same to everyone. You've got a limited amount of money and you have to choose where to spend it. Oofuri may be good or alright but still ranked lower than other titles that people want. As such, it could be say, spend on Kenichi sets now, Big Windup Viridian later or some such strategy.

Looking back, the funny thing is I and I think others thought that hey, it *should* be a hit here--after all, Funi's chosen it, it's a very mainstream title, (i.e. nothing otaku about it), unhated show (most reviews are good, worse response is 'meh' not into it), etc. But I guess not.

Speaking of Kenichi, it's curious that they've still only licensed the first half of the show, as far as I'm aware?

Last edited by configspace on Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
darksharingan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:45 am Reply with quote
License Captain Tsubasa instead!
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:55 am Reply with quote
I find it interesting that more people are upset about Big Windup, then are happy about FLCL NOT getting redubbed (yeah!). Very glass-half-empty, don't you think?

Regarding Big Windup, I can't really comment as I've not seen it (been too busy, but I love baseball -I did enjoy Princess Nine, long ago). However, never say never is my motto. As it stands, Funi has no plans to license the second season, but that might change.

Take a page from the Family Guy (whether you like it or not). The show was originally canceled, binned after only a few seasons ('99 to '02). THREE YEARS PASSED and the Family Guy returned to the air in '05. Why? Because a few years after the show had been canceled (there was no show, and no plans to revive it. It was dead and buried.) they'd released the DVD's for the show (from years past), which sold RIDICULOUSLY well. And like that, Family Guy was on the air again (and Seth MacFarlane is now OBSCENELY wealthy).

The Lesson: You never now about the future. Negativity is a waste of energy, and self-defeating (as are tantrums). And no complaining about not being able to do anything about it, just being one person among many. But that's how things get started, how things change.

If you like a show, support it (if you like it, and as you can). Vote with your wallet, companies pay attention to that. You might not see immediate results, but the possibility is always there.

I'll watch Big Windup and if I like it enough to buy it, I will (as I'm able to). And I'll hope that others who enjoyed the show did so as well (or any other show they enjoy for that matter), and just maybe Funi will license the Second season some time in the future.

Never forget, Funimation wants to make a profit, they want our business. If sales show that Big Windup is worth it, they'll bring you more. It's that simple, regardless of their position now.
boznia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:55 am Reply with quote
Well, I've always known anime and manga with an emphasis on sports often have a larger hill to climb to find success here (although not an insurmountable hill). In this business, FUNi has to focus on what sells to stay afloat, so I don't blame them for their decision.

GATSU wrote:
With no U.S. manga tie-in, and a sport which has been sullied by the likes of Pete Rose and those steroid users, what did anyone expect?

Haha, I'll give you the steroid one, but the majority of baseball fans have gotten over Rose's betting. It's hard for him to have "sullied" a game that's seen far worse even before he was born.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:35 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it's hardly sullied at all, the sheer popularity of the sport both here and there makes that clear. Sounds like more of GATSU's opportunistic culture bashing, seeing a chance to take shots and stepping up to the plate. The sport is no more sullied by these unfortunate incidents as anime or manga is when artists or animators are busted for plagiarism or cutting corners, for one example. Everything in the world has detractors or negative elements working against it.

Regardless, that is not what this topic is about, so let's keep things on topic. And GATSU, that means cut the troll posts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
m_milburn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:56 am Reply with quote
pf91rodman wrote:
Oh here we go again...Rolling Eyes I Guess I'll just say what I've been saying for the past 2 years.

Solution:

People, Stop being cheap and buy the dang DVD's. I can understand if you're the 12% who are poor, but for the 88% of you middle class and upper class people who can afford luxuries one in a while, cut back on downloading/streaming whatever, and just buy it! If you really love anime that much, you should support what you love by providing animation companies money so they can continue doing what they're doing. Stop ruining it for all of us.
Thank you to the people who actually buy the DVD's and merchandise. Without you, anime wouldn't be as big as it is now.

I'm outa here. Arrow

I agree! Quit making excuses for being cheap, being impatient, and being immature kids and grow-up. Anime, whether you like it or not is an industry and a business. Everyone from the creators, to the actors, to the distributors, have to "put food on their tables" just like you or your parents have to. Every time you download anime or manga for free, you're taking money from every person who helped bring you that bit of enjoyment which is not fair. They should be compensated for what they do. And those artist and distributors may barely be making ends meet and you're not helping them. Regardless of the politics and artistic beliefs, The people who create and bring you anime have to survive and make a living in order to continue that. Try preaching that "it's too expensive" story to the ones in Japan who create it and see if they agree with free downloading. Grow up or Wake up!
Crystal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:08 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Guess this shoots down the likelihood of Cross Game ever being licensed here in the states. Sad

This is basically what I was thinking. Had I known Big Windup! would determine the fate of other good sports shows (especially Cross Game) I might have given it a chance. It is a bit sad that they are basing the future of an entire anime theme on the performance of a single title. Would they have stopped doing mecha or magical girl shows if their first ventures had been failures? Probably not. Isn't Bamboo Blade also technically a sports title? How's it doing? Sure, it's moe (of the very tamest variety), but it should still have as much sway as Windup. Maybe compromise with a moe baseball title like Taishou Yakyuu Musume and then give us Cross Game?

Emerje
Its not just one title. As Justin and many others have said, pretty much all sports titles fail to preform well no matter who the publisher is.

Aww, crap! I didn't even think about that at first! And I think I'd like Cross Game better than Big Windup.

Although for me, I don't think it's being ABOUT a sport that gets me interested, it's the characters and story. I'm more interested in Eyeshield 21 than Slam Dunk, and I prefer basketball to football.
seichan80

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:09 am Reply with quote
Why don't they release sub-only? I'm sure cutting dubbing costs could help.

Or why don't they try the whole minimum amount of preorders idea that some other company tried.

Fans are more likely to buy stuff right off if they are confident that the whole series will be available to buy. It's annoying when titles are dropped without effort.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:43 am Reply with quote
It would be just fantastic if everyone could skip the whole 'boo! piracy!' song and dance here. Save it for some place more appropriate. The market for sports anime like this is pretty questionable with or without piracy. Especially with the full dub treatment it's quite possible that this wouldn't have generated enough sales in any case.

einhorn303 wrote:
skafreak51 wrote:
It makes me mad, but I can understand why people didn't buy it- 50 dollars plus is outrageous for 13 episodes.

Outrageously cheap.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_ss?__mk_ja_JP=%83Jタ%83J%83i&url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=dvd+box&x=17&y=14

Oh god...Can we please do away with this old logical fallacy already? Comparing Japan to North America is flawed. Flawed flawed flawed flawed flawed. I guess what I am saying is it is flawed. It is totally absurd to expect someone in one country to judge what is reasonable by the standards of another country. If that's how you want to look at it, then you should forget anime entirely. Instead we should all just log off ANN and spend our time being thankful that we were neither murdered by the guerrillas, nor imprisoned and tortured by the government today. If you really want to play the whole perspective game, we're all having a pretty [expletive] good day. But that would be pointless. So instead, we judge things based relative to our own country.

luffypirate85 wrote:
babynaruto1 wrote:
I will watch it RAW if I ever learn Japanese, but I'll never watch it subbed.

^ Cheap.

Try BUYING a show for once. Leechers do the industry no good.

Call me a stickler for basic reasoning but why on earth would you assume he's an evil leech? If he refuses to watch subtitles then it's pretty likely he does buy DVDs or at least watch through some legal means (as he has since confirmed). He certainly wouldn't watch fansubs. That much is apparent. I suppose it's possible that he pirates R1 DVDs but being as he's said absolutely nothing to indicate this, maybe you can just chill instead of leaping to baseless conclusions.

Last edited by ikillchicken on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:43 am Reply with quote
I like sports Anime (despite not liking sports) so I was going to check this out. Its a shame for them to go this route, but I understand it. At least they're just dropping it because of low sales and not because they're going under or something >.> Anyway, this does (unfortunately too late) inspire me to pick this title up on the cheap sooner than I whould have. It seems to be doing better in Japan, but sports Anime doesn't seem to sell as well in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Elisian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:51 am Reply with quote
That is pretty crummy. I'm a little sad to hear that the other sports anime that I really love probably won't make it over here.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote
Too bad about Big Wind Up. Good about FLCL.

If the sales were low, no point in getting more right now, or experimenting with other sports shows. It just goes to show- if you want it, you should support it. That's why we're getting Kenichi Season 2 [the system works, y'know]. This sort of thing applies to all distributors- like others have said, it's a business.

I hope that Sentai considers it for subbed boxsets, but I guess that all depends on Funi's numbers [ie- if it sold well enough that a subbed release would be feasible- sometimes that's not even likely]. Or that sales pick up and fans show some actual support- that might get something done. I mean, it's a whole show for the price of 2 singles, it's not that horrid.

Now to go check out that podcast! I'm curious to hear about the complete boxset policy- it might make me check out more Funi shows sooner.... did pick up Baki the Grappler, Ergo Proxy and the re-priced Sasami set over the holidays [19.99 people! for 13 episodes! That's 1.50 an ep, not too shabby]
Iritscen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote
This is sad news, although like the rest of you I'm hardly surprised. But I see a lot of you blaming fansubs, which all series suffer equally from. One poster remarked that a lot of the fans are holding back for better prices on the DVDs, but that is also equally true of any show -- only some fans ever actually buy the show they like.

I don't think it's hard to understand the continued failure of sports anime to sell. The range of anime fans in this country is narrower than in the land of the rising sun. Most anime fans here are home-bound nerds who don't play, and rarely watch, sports. That's not intended as an insult, it's just true. Some of my best friends are nerds who don't care about sports. Now, I don't watch sports, and I was still interested in this title because I like shounen. I'm just saying that if there were more bona fide sports fans there would be better support for the shounen sports genre.

For the few fans who are more jock than nerd, shows like Big Windup that feature crybaby main characters hold no attraction to them (I know, shounen series are all about the main character growing up and getting tougher, but the early episodes still make the show look kinda embarrassing). Sports properties that feature tough-looking guys and harder-edged animation, like Slam Dunk and Initial D, are the only ones with a chance of success. The characters in Big Windup are younger *and* drawn delicately.

Combine that with the fact that baseball hasn't caught on with the current generation of Americans like football and basketball has, as opposed to its unflagging popularity in Japan, and you have a recipe for a sales disaster in this economy, when people like myself can no longer snap up any series on DVD that seems remotely promising.
Elfen Noir

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quote
Well, I bought the series and I dislike most sports; but, this series was a complete gem and one of my favorites of the year. So, I'm disappointed now as I was looking forward to a second English dubbed season.

Hopefully this isn't a harbinger of the future, but it probably is. I'll probably be rewatching a lot of my old anime in the coming years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10