• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation: No More Big Windup! Anime to Be Licensed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PBsallad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
In other threads I said I was upset about this. Now that I think about it more it doesn't mean season 2 wont get licensed in a year or two. I just have to save up the money that I can and get season 1. Hopefully other people will too and the sales will be good enough for an eventual license purchase.

edit:

Quote:
The trick is to find the animes that invovle sports, but instead have other aspects that appeal to the larger audience. Bamboo Blade has the pretty girls, One Outs has the gambling and pshychological wrafare, Shion no Ou has the murder mystery, Ring ni Kakero 1 has the crazy shonen action that only a Shonen Jump title can bring, Cross Game has the love story, and I do think that Prince of Tennis could have been a moderate success, but Viz did mess with the release and that turned people away... I know it did for me.

Interesting point. Suzuka kinda comes to mind. Having never those shows though, I'm guessing they had more emphasis on sports then Suzuka had though. It was mostly a romance title. But it did have some track and field in it.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Here is why no one bought it, It sucked.
If you saw the series and that's your opinion, fine. I can respect that. But, I think a lot of it has to do more with the stigma that sports anime has in the states. Like lots of other posters and the article itself says, the genre doesn't do well here.

It's funny because I don't follow any "real life" sports, but I generally enjoy anime sports titles like Yawara!, Touch, Hikaru no Go (if I can count it as a sports title), Princess Nine, etc. I never think that I will like these shows, but give them a chance because of good word of mouth. I personally loved Big Windup!
tailor31415

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
poor OF Sad I was so looking forward to season 2 dub! oh well, there's always other ways of seeing it Sad and besides, there's still the manga and chances that some other company may pick up season 2. It really is understandable how a lot of people don't care for OF, if you aren't one for the jokes and you can't stand the very, very long games, you wouldn't like it. But still....Sad
GordanHam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
This really sucks. I made sure to buy the dvd's and I marathonned the entire series. I was so excited when they announced the second season seeing as how the first season ended, but after this I don't now what's going to happen. Hopefully the sales will pick up, which isn't likely, and Funimation may try and do at least a little with the second series. I would be happy even if they just simulcasted it since they said they were interested in the spring season titles. Otherwise the only other hope is if crunchyroll picks it up. As long as it has been streaming well enough on Funimation's video portal, YouTube, and hulu, crunchyroll might actually consider it.
walkerlegend

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:19 pm Reply with quote
well this sucks....and i was one of the costumers who bought big windup it is a really good baseball show and i dont even like baseball im a football guy but this anime teaches you alot about the sport and makes it interesting!!!!!
Mimori Kiryu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I feel so horrible that I put off buying this series now...I enjoyed watching it online and with my funds in the low department, I was planning on buying it at a convention I'm going to next month. I will anyway but...that sucks. I love baseball and I love Big Windup. <3

Maybe things will change with this news...people will go buy it. 8D I will stay positive.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
babynaruto1 wrote:
I will watch it RAW if I ever learn Japanese, but I'll never watch it subbed.

^ Cheap.

Try BUYING a show for once. Leechers do the industry no good.

Call me a stickler for basic reasoning but why on earth would you assume he's an evil leech? If he refuses to watch subtitles then it's pretty likely he does buy DVDs or at least watch through some legal means (as he has since confirmed). He certainly wouldn't watch fansubs. That much is apparent. I suppose it's possible that he pirates R1 DVDs but being as he's said absolutely nothing to indicate this, maybe you can just chill instead of leaping to baseless conclusions.

I rent most of my anime (my mom pays for Netflix), I'm too poor and I don't have a job so I usually can't buy anime until Christmas and my Birthday.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I hate baseball or any show relating to the sport so this doesn't affect me, but I feel sorry for the fans of this series who have been wanting the new season licensed.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
You know, I bought both volumes of Kannagi and paid full MSRP for both. Why? Because I wanted to support the store I bought it at (an anime store, not someplace like Best Buy), I wanted to support the publisher, and I wanted to support the developer. In short, I wanted to support the industry AND felt that by doing so, I was doing my part to help make sure more Kannagi would get animated.

I *frequently* pay MSRP for my anime. Do I *enjoy* it? Of course not. But if you really like something, and want it to continue, then you need to do your part by supporting it as best you can. That's how I view it, anyway.

Companies need money to stay in business, and artists need money to eat, have a roof over their heads, etc. That money comes from *us*, either directly or indirectly. So, while it pains me sometimes to have to pay so much for my anime, at least, unlike a lot of my tax dollars, it is going to something I enjoy and support.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Mimori Kiryu wrote:
I feel so horrible that I put off buying this series now...I enjoyed watching it online and with my funds in the low department, I was planning on buying it at a convention I'm going to next month. I will anyway but...that sucks. I love baseball and I love Big Windup. <3

Maybe things will change with this news...people will go buy it. 8D I will stay positive.

Funimation has always known where the line is drawn in mainstream marketable licenses but Big Windup felt too much like a niche title, something that ADV/Section23 would license almost like Funimation got lucky picking it up.

Needless to say, fangirls are going to be dismayed. Funimation did not really promote the title as well as they should. They failed to realize the fangirl and fujoshi base.

Well there is something good that may come out of this,maybe Sentai may hear the cries of Big Windup's fangirls and license season 2 subbed.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Quote:
Here is why no one bought it, It sucked.
If you saw the series and that's your opinion, fine. I can respect that. But, I think a lot of it has to do more with the stigma that sports anime has in the states. Like lots of other posters and the article itself says, the genre doesn't do well here.

It's funny because I don't follow any "real life" sports, but I generally enjoy anime sports titles like Yawara!, Touch, Hikaru no Go (if I can count it as a sports title), Princess Nine, etc. I never think that I will like these shows, but give them a chance because of good word of mouth. I personally loved Big Windup!

I enjoyed last spring's Taishou Yakyu Musume I'm praying for a second season and I'm hoping Section23 picks up Season 1. Interesting enough, I did NOT like Princess Nine.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
I find it interesting that more people are upset about Big Windup, then are happy about FLCL NOT getting redubbed (yeah!). Very glass-half-empty, don't you think?

Regarding Big Windup, I can't really comment as I've not seen it (been too busy, but I love baseball -I did enjoy Princess Nine, long ago). However, never say never is my motto. As it stands, Funi has no plans to license the second season, but that might change.

Take a page from the Family Guy (whether you like it or not). The show was originally canceled, binned after only a few seasons ('99 to '02). THREE YEARS PASSED and the Family Guy returned to the air in '05. Why? Because a few years after the show had been canceled (there was no show, and no plans to revive it. It was dead and buried.) they'd released the DVD's for the show (from years past), which sold RIDICULOUSLY well. And like that, Family Guy was on the air again (and Seth MacFarlane is now OBSCENELY wealthy).

The Lesson: You never now about the future. Negativity is a waste of energy, and self-defeating (as are tantrums). And no complaining about not being able to do anything about it, just being one person among many. But that's how things get started, how things change.

If you like a show, support it (if you like it, and as you can). Vote with your wallet, companies pay attention to that. You might not see immediate results, but the possibility is always there.

I'll watch Big Windup and if I like it enough to buy it, I will (as I'm able to). And I'll hope that others who enjoyed the show did so as well (or any other show they enjoy for that matter), and just maybe Funi will license the Second season some time in the future.

Never forget, Funimation wants to make a profit, they want our business. If sales show that Big Windup is worth it, they'll bring you more. It's that simple, regardless of their position now.

I feel the same way about the Gokusen anime. Too much potenial was wasted and the crew spend way too much focusing on the live-action drama then the 2004 anime in reguards to Ms. Kozueko Moriyama-sama herself, I know she's currently doing another manga series. But I'm sure she realizes that the Gokusen manga has a strong base in Japan especially amoung young women, these same women brought the DVDs. Maybe just maybe Madhouse will be compelled to revist the anime and make it more modern and close to the manga series.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
When I heard that there was going to be more Big Windup! (Ookiku Furikabutte), Very Happy (Happy).

After reading this article, Crying or Very sad (Sad).

It just saddens me to hear that an amazing series did not sell well. I would like to address the price issue.

skafreak51 wrote:
It makes me mad, but I can understand why people didn't buy it- 50 dollars plus is outrageous for 13 episodes.

I remember getting 26 episodes of Detective Conan for less than 40 bucks.

Currently (until Monday, January 18, 2010), RightStuf has a Funimation sale where enter a coupon code and it takes 40% off the retail prices of all DVDs, Blu-ray, and merchandise from FUNimation. (This includes items that are in-stock, pre-order and on-order!) [Taken from RightStuf's web site]

I picked up both DVD sets from separate Funimation sales. I am also a member of RightStuf's discount program (which is worth every penny). After all discounts has been applied, I purchased each set for $32.40. It is a lot but another way to look at it is that I basically paid about $2.50 per episode. It seems like a fair deal. What do you think?

frubam wrote:
Well this is to be expected. I'm sure that this would be targeted to a certain audience, and that audience has more than likely already been reading the manga or seen the anime several times over, with the belief that something like Ookifu would NEVER get licensed.

I have a question for members of ANN. How many of you are baseball fans? I am a huge baseball fan of a Major League League team located in the Northeastern part of the United States. A friend told me that baseball is more enjoyable if you know the rules and have been to a live baseball game. How many of you have ever been to a live baseball game?

In my opinion, I enjoyed the series more because I am a baseball fan. I remember during the big baseball game in the second half of the series, I was yelling at the TV to argue with the umpire. Example: "Are you kidding me?! He was so safe!" I was in the zone just like being at a live baseball game.

I felt that Funimation could have done a cross promotion with Major League Baseball. I read around and hear that baseball is big in Japan. We also have some popular Japanese baseball players (in Japan and domestically) in the MLB currently. I wonder how many Japanese baseball players have seen Big Windup! (Ookiku Furikabutte)?

At the end of the day, I feel sad as there is nothing I can do about this. As I watched the series, it was not about baseball. It used baseball as a way to tie in its theme. One of the main themes, from my point of view, is growing up and becoming a stronger person through a team sport. Playing in a team sport, you learn an important lesson: you win as a team and you lose as a team. There should be no regrets as long as everyone tries their best. I mean, there were also unintentional BL moments but you have to look past that.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:

I have a question for members of ANN. How many of you are baseball fans? I am a huge baseball fan of a Major League League team located in the Northeastern part of the United States. A friend told me that baseball is more enjoyable if you know the rules and have been to a live baseball game. How many of you have ever been to a live baseball game?

In my opinion, I enjoyed the series more because I am a baseball fan. I remember during the big baseball game in the second half of the series, I was yelling at the TV to argue with the umpire. Example: "Are you kidding me?! He was so safe!" I was in the zone just like being at a live baseball game.

Actually I do not enjoy baseball at all (on tv) and really have no interest in it. Or I didn't. I found myself looking up some clips of pitchers after watching Major and seeing a submarine pitcher, which I hadn't seen before.

I have wanted to go see a live baseball game for some time now, but that was more for the food than anything else (everyone says baseball hot dogs, fries, and nachos are the best). But now that I've been watching all this baseball anime (Major, Big Windup, Cross Game, Taishou Yakyuu Musume, Princess Nine), which has sort of piqued my interest, maybe I can actually watch the game itself with some enjoyment.

So this actually worked the reverse for me. The anime made me interested in the sport.
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I was never a big fan of sports anime (despite my love of sports)but I feel bad for those that were really looking forward to a second season.

On a happier note: Yay for keeping the original FLCL dub!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10