• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Bullet Witch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:19 am Reply with quote
Wait, do people really hate FFXII? The plot may have been a complete ripoff of Star Wars, but I thought it had the best gameplay and character advancement of the series. Not to mention that its graphics really pushed the limits of the PS2 (and still look pretty good today).
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote
Shale wrote:

As someone who's played every DMC and enjoyed the hell out of all the ones that don't havea 2 in the title, I have no idea what in God's name you're talking about. Bike sequence? "What it initially promised"? So if there's something in the previews that (apparently) doesn't make it into the final game, that automatically makes the finished product bad?

One of many. I just happened to have singled out the bike sequence because I'm biased, and not a critic on ANN.

But here's the real question? How has DMC4's story added onto the canon? Not only did it not add anything, but it went with the Tetsuya Nomura route and added a whole bunch of unnecessary bullshit. To say DMC4's story is a nonsensical, cliche-ridden cluster**** that takes it self WAY too seriously is the understatement of the decade.

How bout the gameplay? How did DMC4's gameplay creatively contribute to the genre? Not a bit. Made of recycled materials.

If you wish, I can be a whole lot more specific and detailed as to why DMC4 completely fails as a series successor. But if you really want to know what killed it...it's marketing. They put out so much money advertising and hyping up a below mediocre game with a series name to live up to, that people...simply stopped caring about it; gave up hope. Only the hopeless diehards - the same class of diehards that think George Lucas still has creative spark left in him - still care for the series, and hope for it.

Not to mention they threw in quite a bit of cash to further hype it up with the anime...which, let's face it, is stupid as hell and adds absolutely nothing to the name. And as for the plot holes DMC4 left behind.....I'll give you a little link to satisfy your curiosity:
http://www.devils-lair.org/dmc4novel.html

Face the music: DMC may finally rest in peace.

Takeyo wrote:
Wait, do people really hate FFXII? The plot may have been a complete ripoff of Star Wars, but I thought it had the best gameplay and character advancement of the series. Not to mention that its graphics really pushed the limits of the PS2 (and still look pretty good today).

Actually, I loved the hell out of FFXII. Very Happy Besides, even if you hate a good chunk of it, there's still one good reason to love it: Balthier.

...Or a second reason: Fran.

......Or a third reason: The batshit crazy Dr. Cid.
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:35 am Reply with quote
To say DMC4 takes itself too seriously is to completely ignore everything after the halfway mark. Nero takes himself seriously, but He's only got half of the story. The other half has scenes like this. As for adding on to the canon...I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about action games. Silly action games, to boot. Who cares about the grand mythos of demons and Mundus blah blah blah? We're there to cut bad guys in half. Gameplay-wise, it played smoothly and basically everything about Nero was a new addition to the series' combat mechanics.

I'm not trying to force you to like the game, but it sold two million copies and Metacritic ranks it a whole two points below your beloved, game-of-the-future Bayonetta, so let's stop pretending it somehow tanked in the marketplace.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
To say DMC4 takes itself too seriously is to completely ignore everything after the halfway mark. Nero takes himself seriously, but He's only got half of the story. The other half has scenes like this. As for adding on to the canon...I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about action games. Silly action games, to boot. Who cares about the grand mythos of demons and Mundus blah blah blah? We're there to cut bad guys in half. Gameplay-wise, it played smoothly and basically everything about Nero was a new addition to the series' combat mechanics.

I'm not trying to force you to like the game, but it sold two million copies and Metacritic ranks it a whole two points below your beloved, game-of-the-future Bayonetta, so let's stop pretending it somehow tanked in the marketplace.

*sigh* So you're one of those way-too-hopeful-to-be-healthy fans I was referring to earlier... In that case, I'm not gonna bother to debate this any further. =_= An excercise in futility; no different than trying to convince the pope that Jesus was just another dude.

But maybe logic could work...
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/devilmaycry4?q=Devil%20May%20Cry
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/bayonetta?q=Bayonetta

Yeah. 90 - 84 =/= 2...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote
I'm really curious about that game 'Glory of Heracles'. It's old school game revived, but I'm wondering if it's worth picking up.

As to the possibility of another chapter to the 'FFXII' game that's an interesting analogy. The designs are really nice. I still have yet to play that game.

Last edited by Chrno2 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote
Whoops, I was looking at the PS3 rankings, where Bayonetta has an 86. My bad.

Edit: Also, hopeful? When did I say there's a DMC5 on the horizon? It's been two years and there's nothing from Capcom on the subject, which given the times between the earlier games (Two years, two years, three years) doesn't exactly say "SEQUEL" in neon lights. I'm just saying your criticism of DMC4 goes against things like evidence and logic.

Last edited by Shale on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I'm really curious about that game 'Glory of Heracles'. It's old school game revived, but I'm wondering if it's worth picking up.

As to the possibility of another chapter to the 'FFXII' game that's an interesting analogy. The designs are really nice. I still have yet to play that game.

Technically, the entries to the Ivalice Alliance are "other chapters to FFXII", but I see what you mean.

Now that "Fortress" is out of Grin's hands, it may have potential to be a badass project.

...As long as they don't give it to Cavia or tri-Ace. =/

Shale wrote:

Edit: Also, hopeful? When did I say there's a DMC5 on the horizon? It's been two years and there's nothing from Capcom on the subject, which given the times between the earlier games (Two years, two years, three years) doesn't exactly say "SEQUEL" in neon lights. I'm just saying your criticism of DMC4 goes against things like evidence and logic.

=.=;; I didn't give any concrete criticism... I just listed what's out on the table, and in front of the face. And your response only turns to solidify your position as a pissed-off fanboy.

Like I said. =/ I'm not gonna engage in this anymore.
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote
You're the one who goes into a rage at the idea that it might not suck, but I'm pissed-off? Okay.

Also, I have no idea what Bayonetta plays like, because Sega's not releasing it for a system I own. So I'm also not touching the "my game can beat up your game" pissing contest. For all I know Bayonetta is God's gift to action games and ten times better than everything Capcom's ever done. If so, more power to Sega and Platinum for making it, and give me a damned PC port.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
Quote:
Know what else I like? Final Fantasy

Choose your roman numerals wisely...

Quote:
XII, no matter what anyone says

Ah, good, I was worried for a moment there you'd been sucked in by the glitz and glamor of XIII.

Indeed. I too share your knee jerk hatred for games I've yet to play.

Yes because you know, I HAVE to play a game in order to have a right to judge it, right?

I don't like what Square Enix has done. Maybe if they'd taken a hub world approach like BioWare has with Mass Effect and Dragon Age I wouldn't be so bitter but... They're trying to modernize the RPG and I'm not about to back such an idea and purchase the game.

I'll play it someday, no doubt, but I've already given my view to it. The game lacks a decent number of core elements an RPG needs, but to sum them all up, it lacks FREEDOM. If I wanted to play an RPG where there was no freedom to wander about and do as I please, I'd go... Well, I wouldn't be playing an RPG, would I? I'd be playing an action game or something like that. Hell, at least Bayonetta let's you retread levels.

I'm not judging it on Gameplay as honestly, that is maybe the lone thing that appeals to me, as I 'really' liked the turn management/action time that it seems to have. But I'm not going to play an RPG lacking about 75% of what I play an RPG for, I rarely play an RPG just for the battles (except for maybe games from Gust, the battles just have enough flair, challenge and uniqueness in how they play out...) so I'm gonna skip this one.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Uh, wasn't FFX also almost completely linear? It's been years since I last played it, but I don't remember there being such a big reaction to that.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:

Yes because you know, I HAVE to play a game in order to have a right to judge it, right?

Nope. But playing it before judging it gives you a few good advantages and benefits, like...
1-Makes you seem a lot less pompous.
2-Solidifies your critical position.
3-Gives preconceptions and paradigms a concrete ground.
4-Who knows, you just might happen to like the game. And that can't possibly be a bad thing, right?

Generic #757858 wrote:
Uh, wasn't FFX also almost completely linear? It's been years since I last played it, but I don't remember there being such a big reaction to that.

But FFX had towns. Wink
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I downloaded the demo of Bayonetta, but I couldn't get past the first fight. I don't think you can get much worse than that. I couldn't control her or pull off any of the combos that I was aiming for (often, I would do a different combo, but not one I was attempting). I don't think I would ever be able to beat a wall of magma. Oh well, back to Disgaea 3 for me.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I'll definitely pick up Bayonetta some time in the future. My priorities lie with Mass Effect 2 and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, both of which come out the same day, so that's money I'll need to be saving. The general season is looking crazy for games. FFXIII, NMH 2, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Heroes 3, etc.,
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
*British glove slap* DMC5 isn't gonna happen. It's damn fair to say that they've killed off the series something good with the latest installment, and the anime didn't exactly do anything to help.

Time, and the desire for more money, will tell.

Don't get me wrong. I like Bayonetta. I'm not that far into it though, and so far the story still has me scratching my head. I'm hopefull that as I progress, the story will unfold and make better sense. If not, it is still campy fun.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Hexyz Force: It looks like a promising game. Although most "people" I know will look at the cover for a different reason (guess what it is).

Bayonetta: Much like FF13, I was a little tired of the hype behind this game. True, the dialogue is cheesier than cheesy can be and it's so funny how no one knows Bayonetta's English actress at all. I don't think I'll ever play it but it did look pretty violent when I watched a friend on YouTube finish the entire game.

Glory of Heracles: Can't say I'm familiar with the original game either. I'll look into it but unless I get a DS, this won't garner much of my interest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4