• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: English Gundam UC on Amazon, Other Gundam to Get Streams

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Um, isn't this huge news? Why are you guys complaining about disc prices and why is wal-whatever being pointlessly arrogant about what is licensed so far when this article clearly states that Bandai will soon be licensing the Other Series for streaming? Bandai is finally moving beyond their draconian mindset and streaming the series that were never licensed in the U.S. Shut up and celebrate, guys. This is really good news.
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Wot, no X?

No X, Turn A, Victory, or ZZ. It should be painfully, to the point of all of your limbs breaking, obvious why.

If I recall correctly they mentioned in the past they would eventually start streaming those as well.
Shale

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
Um, isn't this huge news? Why are you guys complaining about disc prices and why is wal-whatever being pointlessly arrogant about what is licensed so far when this article clearly states that Bandai will soon be licensing the Other Series for streaming?

So when they say "other series" you assume they mean shows with no official English translation instead of 0080, 0083, G and 08th MS Team because...why, exactly?
RedTail

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Don't mean to be a downer, but Bandai missed the boat. Most of the people who would have wanted to see ZZ, V, Turn-A or X have probably already seen them by now. I know I have.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone find confirmation that DVD's are shipping? Is that supposed to be in Japan or elsewhere? I assumed that DVD's were coming later since only the Blu-Ray is currently listed on Amazon.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Wot, no X?

No X, Turn A, Victory, or ZZ. It should be painfully, to the point of all of your limbs breaking, obvious why.

Except the press release, actually, explicitly says that other shows will be added in the future.

Quote:

Additionally, to celebrate Gundam UC's Blu-ray release, Bandai Channel will begin streaming
classic Gundam series starting February 1. This is a long-awaited opportunity for existing fans to
revisit their favorites or for newer fans to become familiar with the world of Gundam before
watching Gundam UC. Six TV series of Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam, Mobile Suit Z Gundam,
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny, and
Mobile Suit Gundam 00) are planned for free streaming in North America and Europe for limited
time only on AnimeNewsNetwork (www.animenewsnetwork.com), Crunchyroll
(www.Crunchyroll.com) and Youtube (www.Youtube.com/AnimeChannel). More series are to
be added later.

I consider it highly unlikely that "more series" means other series that are not Gundam in a Gundam-oriented press release. Also realize that in theory this means Mobile Suit Gundam is streaming subbed, whereas the R1 release of the series only included a dub.
Shale

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
I consider it highly unlikely that "more series" means other series that are not Gundam in a Gundam-oriented press release. Also realize that in theory this means Mobile Suit Gundam is streaming subbed, whereas the R1 release of the series only included a dub.

Or they could be, and I realize this is an enormous stretch of the imagination, shows that have been released in the US but aren't in this wave of streams.

But no, bringing over as many as four new full-length series in Bandai's top moneymaking franchise all at once with minimal fanfare (not even naming them in the press release!) and for free makes way more sense than that.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Derp herp.

The other shows to follow are probably, I don't know, the other Gundam anime that were license.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:52 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Can anyone find confirmation that DVD's are shipping? Is that supposed to be in Japan or elsewhere? I assumed that DVD's were coming later since only the Blu-Ray is currently listed on Amazon.

DVDs I assume will be released under the Bandai Entertainment label at a later point in time (perhaps April). A similar situation like Freedom was.

Anyways, already preordered. I can't wait. I'm very excited.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Shale wrote:

Or they could be, and I realize this is an enormous stretch of the imagination, shows that have been released in the US but aren't in this wave of streams.

I assume you mean the OVA's (0080, 0083, possibly GS Stargazer), which is possible, but I'm taking "series" very literally and looking at the fact that they are already starting with every series that was released in English.
Quote:

But no, bringing over as many as four new full-length series in Bandai's top moneymaking franchise all at once with minimal fanfare (not even naming them in the press release!) and for free makes way more sense than that.

Obviously they would be named later if they come later. In any case, there is no need to be snarky. I don't think it is at all crazy considering that in ten years those series have not left Japan to make any profit, considering the progress streaming has made, and considering the fact that these streams will be temporary and will not last forever.

Sarkozy wrote:

DVDs I assume will be released under the Bandai Entertainment label at a later point in time (perhaps April). A similar situation like Freedom was.

Anyways, already preordered. I can't wait. I'm very excited.

I hope so, and same here. I'm interested enough to try the first episode in high-def blind.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shale

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:00 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
I assume you mean the OVA's (0080, 0083, possibly GS Stargazer), which is possible, but I'm taking "series" very literally and looking at the fact that they are already starting with every series that was released in English.

OVAs are still described as "series" when there's multiple episodes. Plus they aren't streaming G yet, which is very definitely a TV show. Same with Superior Defender (which, granted, isn't exactly a fan favorite).
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Ah, you're right. I'm still holding out hope though, since this is basically Bandai Visual Japan acting directly on its own. If there's any time to put them out there in any format, it'd be right now.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
As some one else mentioned, theres also 08th MS Team.

This awesome news none the less. I remember reading in some ANN article last year that Bandai had plans for streaming. I'm glad it's happening as soon as it is. Anime smile
RedTail

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna kick myself if Bandai ends up releasing a BD box set later on, but I just preordered. Damn my love of UC Gundam!
Labbes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Any word on whether there will be region-blocking? I'm still hoping for freebies, because all of those shows are licensed (subcontracted?), essentially by Bandai, in Europe.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I guess they figured if the Hellsing fans are stupid enough to buy the same anime twice, Gundam fans are also willing to pay a premium for this thing, just because it's on BD. Though if that were really the case, wouldn't we be seeing a re-release of IGLOO? Anyway, it looks more like Orguss 2 than Gundam to me...But seriously, former BVUSA execs, stop continuing to kill your American subsidiary in a shitty economy, please.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5