• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: English Gundam UC on Amazon, Other Gundam to Get Streams

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedTail

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
Any word on whether there will be region-blocking? I'm still hoping for freebies, because all of those shows are licensed (subcontracted?), essentially by Bandai, in Europe.

Well, Amazon's calling it an R1 release, which ain't exactly right considering Blu-ray regions are coded by letters (A, B, and C). Hopefully, they'll correct their page at some point.
B.K.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Now I can finally see how Mobile Suit Gundam ended. Bandai REALLY needs to put out Anime Legends sets for it.
Sanjo-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm freaking out at the moment... we'll get to see the original MSG series again! I'm so happy! Mr. Green

It's been ages since I've seen the TV version. I hope it means a re-release on DVD as it never got a complete series release, and not just the movie trilogy.

Everything seems to be falling in place. I blogged about how 2010 will be a good year for Universal Century Gundam. But it would be awesome if they license/dub the other series. Rolling Eyes
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
So is the trailer suppose to load if you click play on the page? If so, it's not doing that for me. I get a commercial for FF: Crystal Bearers but nothing else Sad
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:35 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
So is the trailer suppose to load if you click play on the page? If so, it's not doing that for me. I get a commercial for FF: Crystal Bearers but nothing else Sad

It's supposed to play afterwards. It works for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
MeggieMay wrote:

It's supposed to play afterwards. It works for me.

Confused I waited almost five minutes because I thought it might be buffering but nothing happened. I'll go back and try it again or attempt to load the url into IE.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Zeta Gundam complete subbed will be up on 2/1.

Others will follow shortly thereafter. I think Bandai is still working on getting clearances, so I wouldn't consider that list final yet. (Unfortunately, the North American adaptation of 0079 is all they're allowed to release in the US. Everything else should be subbed, IIRC.)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Will the Zeta subs be the awful dubtitle ones or the corrected ones?

To this day, I harbor a deep resentment towards Bandai for their first Z Gundam release. Even when I watch my set, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, it's my favorite mecha series of all time, on the other, awful dub, bad subtitles.

It's not so much the bad release itself, though, so much as the dishonesty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
So you'll have the UC 79 English dub? If so, that could be interesting seeing it's been OOP for what seems like forever.

BTW, I never did get the trailer to work. I watched one over at Amazon, so if it's the same one someone tell me.
Zero Gravity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Hot damn!
This is gonna be a good year for Gundam! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

The subtitles are the ones used in the Anime Legends edition, which according to my research were the "corrected ones".
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

The subtitles are the ones used in the Anime Legends edition, which according to my research were the "corrected ones".

Well, that's a relief.

I ought to get those Anime Legends sets, since I doubt Bandai will license the Z Gundam Blu-Rays for R1.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Why they sub it in Spanish, and then, block Spain out? Sigh...
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, as I thought, that price per disk is pretty expensive for Western tastes.

It's the exact same price as the Japanese release:

www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCXA-223

I wouldn't put too much faith in a later R1 DVD release. I think one of the reasons Bandai might be doing this is, since the US and Japan are in the same Blu-ray region, with a BD they can literally print the same discs and just ship them to different markets. It saves on overhead. The covers, at least, seem exactly the same so far.

I welcome this possible future trend of more Japanese-like releases. I hope it does well for Bandai. I'm not even a huge Gundam fan (all I've seen is the Char's Counterattack movie), but the movie looks nice, and I might start buying these BDs just to support more premium anime products in the US (and build up my BD collection!).

The exclusivity deal is some interesting economic politics. Bandai has obviously found it's previous Kannagi-Rightstuff exclusivity deal a good way to increase profits on "the fans are on the internet, it'll sell the same anyways" type series. But I guess they don't want to play favorites (or Amazon could offer them more benefits).
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote
YAY I get to watch the rest of Z Gundam legally cause I bought the first half at the con I went to back in October and loved it and I really wanted to buy the 2nd half, but I just can't afford it right now so this is really good news for me thanks Bandai.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5