• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Steins;Gate BD+DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crispy45

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
No mention of dr.pepper for being a drink for intellectuals?? Hmm...

Apparently all Dr. Pepper references were removed in the dub, among other things
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

Apparently all Dr. Pepper references were removed in the dub, among other things

Also, if you look closely in the anime, what Okabe drinks is "Dk Pepper."
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I have to disagree with this review, if only about the characters. I found all of the main cast to be very likable. By main cast, I mean Okabe, Mayushi, Daru, and Kurusu. Okabe in particular is one of my favorite characters of all time. As for the other characters, their biggest weakness was that some of them weren't as developed as well as they could be, and came off a bit flat at times, at least compared to the others. Still, none of them bothered or annoyed me.

I'll agree that some of the pacing of the first half in particular was uneven at times, that is true, but I found the characters so enjoyable it didn't bother me.
casualfan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I have to disagree with the "generally unlikeable" characters part. I actually find the characters funny with their quirks. Well, different strokes for different folks i guess.

This show is overall great but really need condensation. I feel like it's dragged out in some parts especially the first half. But at the end it's still satisfying. I thought their twist with the time-travel idea was great.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Nice review of the show I agree with most of it although I didn't find as many character to be annoying when I watched it. I really liked Steins;Gate (I am partial to the semicolon personally) when it aired and from the few episodes of the dub I have seen so far I am excited to buy my copy. I enjoyed the whole show over all but there are different things in both parts that bothered me. But I have to agree with people here that the second half is better although the spoiler[sudden change in the second half from a serious si fi show to a dating sim did throw me off at first until I realized that the game was a dating sim. ]
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
casualfan wrote:
I have to disagree with the "generally unlikeable" characters part. I actually find the characters funny with their quirks. Well, different strokes for different folks i guess.

I agree, the characters are what kept me interested in the show when it dragged in places. There are a few "extra" characters that, while essential to some areas of the plot, I wasn't particularly fond of like Faris and Suzuha. I found Mayuri more endearing on the second watch than the first.

It is a series I recommend watching twice. I'm enjoying it more this second time around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
underlock

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Most of the characters are kind of irritating.

Was surprised to see it receiving just a B, but I see you missed out on most of the fun.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to time travel stories, I'm extremely anal about how plots are resolved, and while I can't give this series an A+, I will definitely put it into the A- category. I'll excuse its pathetic ending strictly because the time travel mechanic was very well done.

The way the mechanic was used kept me glued, not the characters. While the eccentric lot did contribute about as well as they could regarding their situation, I felt some of the personal issues seemed purposely placed as to offset the "geek speak" the show could easily alienate viewers with. Not bad, but did it have to be so predictable? Okay, so it was to me, but still, it felt forced rather than fluid.

As for the ending...

*flush

Let's hope the movie gives us a much better one.

I don't see myself recommending this title to every fan of anime, but to those who enjoyed Star Trek, by all means, stream it at least.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

Let's hope the movie gives us a much better one.

Well, the movie is a sequel...
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
Nobody can top Miyano Mamoru as Okabe, no way at all.

I'm not sure anyone can top Miyano Mamoru in any role. Certainly not in anything I've ever seen.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve gave a time travel story a passing grade? And an A- at that?

What the-? No effing way.

Hmm. I see I must be still asleep. Yes, that has to be it.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Someone once described Steins Gate as a tower until it is completed though you don't realize the importance of all the little bricks in the first half.

The second half of SG is where things really take off but knowing how everything comes together makes me appreciate the first half more.

As for characters Okabe & Kurisu were my favorites but everyone grew on me except Moeka.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

one less reason for me to watch the dub... I'm not purist by any means but okabe is by far my favorite anime character in long time and not having his rants on dr.pepper just seems.. bleh. It's what made him so damn funny.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
If this show was just Okabe, Kris, Daru and a couple of the other girls it would be really rather good (albeit more by virtue of the second half). Unfortunately we also get Mayuri, Faris and Ruka. Bleh. Still, this isn't a terrible show and it has some really great parts.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the irritating characters debate, I wasn't straight-up irritated by any of them...okay, for *very long,* but I understand 100% where Rebecca is coming from.

The thing that makes them grating, to some, is that they really are quirky for the sake of being quirky. Yes, I know the likelihood is high that their oddness/bizarreness/wittiness/idiocy will be given context in the second half of the show, which is the ~OH SNAP~ part of the show, but...we still had to endure 12 episodes of characters farting about being quirky and snapping off witticisms in visual novel-based self-indulgence at the expense of good storytelling and pacing.

It's not necessarily that the characters are despicable or useless as they are: they're just *used poorly* in that first half. There's a lot of meandering and indulging in pointless nerd-bait conversations and if your attention isn't held by the Dr. Who references, Akihabara in-jokes, and quantum string theory hubbazaloo, as it is clearly meant to, the characters' quirkiness rapidly shows itself as just existing for its own sake and being extremely redundant and kinda not written well.

The characters, for about 2/3 of that 12 episode run, spout nerd-pander with their own individual arbitrary personality attached to the words. (Again, arbitrary as of only having knowledge of that first half. Maybe they're explored in the second half. Fan reception seems to indicate that.) 12. Episodes. Consisting largely of "YER A NERD AINTCHA, VIEWER?" tawdry quirk shop dialogue.

So I get absolutely where she's coming from. I was REALLY annoyed with the meandering when it happened, but when the plot kicked in, I loved watching it. The problem is Steins;Gate takes HALF of its run to hit the OH SNAP, so if that's all you have to go on, there's a loooot of criticism to be had.

Last edited by JacobC on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6