• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Official One Piece 3D Breasts Mouse Pads for Sale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Other than the fact that shonen comics are ELEMENTARY BOYS comics.

It's not a comic, it's an anime and the image's clearly based on the anime. Besides you didn't provide the link I asked for.

KanjiiZ wrote:
The fact that Nami's boobs grow has nothing to do with being aimed at kids.

Oh, yeah. Perhaps it was intended to have the creators wank all over her huge boobies in case it has nothing to do with the audience.

KanjiiZ wrote:
You're just lying to yourself if you think it's for older audiences.

Then again, provide the link with the creators saying that older audience isn't included in their plans, then we'll talk over it.

KanjiiZ wrote:
It seems like anime fans are just simply in denial about what is for kids and what isn't. Next you're going to tell me Naruto is a seinen manga because Tsunade has big boobs.

I believe I said the word "universal" didn't I? That the show is open for any age, you know, any age. Yes, any age, including 60 years old people. Still waiting for the link though.

Besides anime and cartoon in general are viewed as kids stuff. Aren't you contradicting yourself? Since you're here, I assume that you watch anime, so according to the public opinion you're a kid too. Well, endless loop, you know, back to that thing called "opinion" where one proposes that his is always right while others are blinded by their own illusions created by some kind of unknown entity.

Last edited by egoist on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
It's a comic made for a JAPANESE audience, not universal.

And dude, get over yourself One Piece is a comic and a cartoon, be real with yourself.

Quote:
Oh, yeah. Perhaps it was intended to have the creators wank all over her huge boobies in case it has nothing to do with the audience.

There's a term Daryl Surat coined called neo-shonen. It basically says shonen anime is made please audiences in making yaoi and yuri fodder. Of course almost every anime and manga has that tone nowadays. It does NOT change the fact it's a children's anime. How many 10 year olds are going to notice the boob sizes changing other than the 15 year olds looking for that specific detail?

I think you have issues with dealing that you're watching a children's show. It's okay to watch children's anime, I enjoy Dinosaur King somewhat and am not ashamed.

What link could you possibly want? A link that says One Piece is a children's manga? It's written all over the damn show.

Last edited by KanjiiZ on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I will admit. I clicked on the article for 2 reasons: One Piece and breast mousepad. And it was EXACTLY what I expected (of course what else could it be really?). Oh man, getting some great laughs today.

Anyways I honestly don't see this as any downfall of the Anime or Manga industry. If that was the case then H-doujinshi should have killed off Anime and Manga years ago or series like Queen's Blade and ikki-whatever in more recent times. This is pretty hilarious to be honest. If I ever see one of these at a con for a responsible price, I just may pick it up just to show it off. Plus Nami is a ace in my book.

Also to our gentleman and gentle ladies: Self control and respect are fine qualities, but to do so to the extent of looking down on others or feeling the need to reply negatively to reaffirm your own self about is a bit snobbish no offense. You gotta know what your fellow Homo Sapiens (OMG my f***ing spell checker doesn't know what homo sapien is!) find physically attractive in one another. You gotta be a bit adult about it and realize their people who like this stuff and people who REALLY like this stuff. And these are for otakus anyways so there's bond to be a market for it. Also its not odd for even the shonen of shonen series to be ero at times.

But I do have to admit, giant breast scare me. They definitely don't expect to age well... *shivers* plus if they every make a Bleach version, I don't think you be able to use the mousepad for its intended purpose... cause you hand may not be able to reach the mouse when you lay your wrist on it... giant breast...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:55 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:

Yes, a children's or should I say kids show. Why do people like to lie to themselves and say it's a show for teenagers.

Well, there's the fact that while One Piece was the #1 selling manga for the 10-20 males demographic, it was also the top selling manga for 20-30, 30-40, and 40-50 males.

So in essence, its audience could be considered from 10-50, or in other words, a family show, which it is. Meaning that there is stuff for kids and there is stuff for adults, and also stuff that both kids and adults enjoy.

Source (NSFW)
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I want to point out that just because something is a kids' manga should not stop anyone from reading it. It obviously doesn't, it's just amazing how many people won't admit to something being for kids. Look at what is all on the list for 10 - 20 year olds, young boys manga.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:59 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
I think you have issues with dealing that you're watching a children's show. It's okay to watch children's anime, I enjoy Dinosaur King somewhat and am not ashamed.

Me ashamed? On the internet? Don't make me laugh. Simply click on my profile and read my posts and you'll understand what kind of shame I ever feel. Even so, I won't assume that One Piece is made for kids and kids only with no intentions at all directed at an adult audience with no solid proof other than "shonen". Besides read up what "shonen" means on Wiki and you'll get all sorts of age groups, including 20 years old.

Let me get down to the point, since we seem to be discussing two different things. One Piece was made for kids, but at some point they realized that an adult audience was interested, at that point they decided about doing small improvements and adapting the series so to make it a little more accessible for adults; things like huge boobies. Nowadays, kids are definitely not the only intended audience, and in case you're really implying that, I will, with all the confidence I don't have, deny that.

Last edited by egoist on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:05 am Reply with quote
I'm going to end this in a small post because we're going in circles:

Quote:
marketed to a male audience roughly between the ages of 10 and 18

Not every single shonen manga is targeted at just children. Some shows are like Fullmetal Alchemist and try to target tweens and teens, but shows like One Piece are for simple children. It's a show of a young boy with a strawhat who wants to go on an adventure with his friends. There's no two ways about it. There's nothing super mature deep about the show, it's just good, clean fun. Sure there are a few things thrown in there for the older people reading it, but a few things like that don't make it a title marketed towards older people.
Jih2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:08 am Reply with quote
Ah, I'm so glad we have that one guy being a hardass about ultra specific definitions that everyone else has already gotten over.

The mouse pads were a matter of time for something as popular and aimed at boys as One Piece.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
...but shows like One Piece are for simple children.

Just one last thing: Where are you pulling these words from? Should I assume that it's your opinion? Because you definitely make it sound like it's a solid fact.

In case it's your opinion, or in case you think of it as some sort of general opinion. Please read this specific part of my post once again:
Quote:
Besides anime and cartoon in general are viewed as kids stuff. Aren't you contradicting yourself? Since you're here, I assume that you watch anime, so according to the public opinion you're a kid too.

To cut any kind of direct insult that might be coming towards me as a question, I'll tell you that I don't mind watching a show made for kids, that's if it keeps my attention, and so far, none did.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
egoist wrote:
KanjiiZ wrote:
Yes, a children's or should I say kids show. Why do people like to lie to themselves and say it's a show for teenagers.

No, they said it was somewhat universal. If there's any article from the creators saying this show is specifically aimed at kids and kids only, please provide us with a link, and an explanation as to why Nami's boobies have grown so big in the past hundred episodes if the show is aimed at brats.

Other than the fact that shonen comics are ELEMENTARY BOYS comics.

Quote:
shonen, or shounen, is a Japanese word literally meaning few years and generally referring to a typical boy, from elementary school through high school age.

I hate using Wiki, but it's quicker than anything I could say. The fact that Nami's boobs grow has nothing to do with being aimed at kids. Its a subtle thing not the whole shows premise. You're just lying to yourself if you think it's for older audiences. It seems like anime fans are just simply in denial about what is for kids and what isn't. Next you're going to tell me Naruto is a seinen manga because Tsunade has big boobs.

Shounen is more often used to describe Genre rather than demographic. Its amazing how you are apparently are unable to read what people write, as you assume we all think one piece to be this adult work. which no one has said. We have, however been saying one piece is targeted toward a universal audience, thats all, no one here has any qualms with there being kid elements in the show, its part of what makes it so great. also using the argument that iut aired in Shounen jump is kind of useless as well, because Death Note also aired in Shounen jump and i would definitely say that is not aimed a children.

lastly some would say the nami's breast are not so subtle(sorry about the audio in this, you get my point though)
Araki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Not every single shonen manga is targeted at just children. Some shows are like Fullmetal Alchemist and try to target tweens and teens, but shows like One Piece are for simple children. It's a show of a young boy with a strawhat who wants to go on an adventure with his friends. There's no two ways about it.

Sorry, but now you've proved you don't even know One Piece at all.
Fullmetal Alchemist is as much of a young boys title as OP, Naruto or anything Shonen Jump. Don't delude yourself.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
It's a comic made for a JAPANESE audience, not universal.

also before i forget:

**facedesk**
we're talking strictly Japanese demographics here, not any kind of worldwide appeal the show may have.
animeboy12

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure shonen is a demographic rather that a genre, least what it say it the here

Also while I know shonen it mean for young boy, they're not that young which is why manga series like death note are considered shonen shows death note are considered shonen shows despite dabbling in some dark subjective.

the only question I have about these mousepads, is why not bleach?
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
1) *facedesk?* Shonen is not a genre, it's a demographic. Saying a show is shonen says nothing of the show. It does not say whether it's mecha or action.

2) I've seen One Piece. FMA is a slightly older audience. Not a huge gap to make it a mature show, but not enough to be a hit with 10 year olds.

3) "not any kind of worldwide appeal the show may have"
"We have, however been saying one piece is targeted toward a universal audience"
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
animeboy12 wrote:

the only question I have about these mousepads, is why not bleach?

Because One Piece is way more popular in Japan.

That's the easy answer at least =\
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10