• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Fly With the High

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sfried

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Letthemeatraep wrote:
The Wii menu isn't the problem. the outdated tech, over-reliance on gimmicks, uncomfortable and over-expensive control set ups, last gen game ports at full retail as selling points and massive amounts of shovelware are. But yes, because I don't think the same as you on the matter, obviously I'M the one that's wrong.

So you're calling No More Heroes 2, Shattered Memories, Tastunoko vs. Capcom, MadWorld, Fragile, Muramasa, and Sky Crawlers all shovelware, last-gen ports and nothing but gimmicks?

Letthemeatraep wrote:
I'm done arguing this and won't be responding again, but I think Wii's ever declining game sales for the most part prove that the majority don't find the idea of swinging their arms around over the more convenient pressing of a button as much fun as you.
You make me laugh. Ever declining sales? You've obviously never heard the news that Wii sold even more than it did last holliday, which was way more than PS3and XB360 did combined.

I think you kep insisting to believe that "Wii is just fad", despite all the signs pointing otherwise. So while you may not be a fanboy to one console, you are obviously a troll and a Nintendo-hater.
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
LondinCalling wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
LondinCalling wrote:
Suda 51's other game, Killer 7 is obviously a rip off of Pulp Fiction with the gimp hanging from the cieling. And the Light sword that the guy from No More Heroes uses is a blatant rip off of Star wars.

EDIT:

"Travis is taken from [the film] Paris, Texas. [Directed by Wim Wenders {german director} and shot in the United States]" - Suda 51

Ah, so you're a troll. I THOUGHT those comments were rather... idio- I mean blatantly biased.

At least I have Suda on my side.

Because he said that he did borrow elements from other works? That's because every idea anywhere has already been used. What we see now in most media today is an attempt to give new ideas a fresh spin with made up words, good character development and good looking overall design.

But who cares, you never fully said whether or not you like the game. You made a statement to start riling up some lightly heated conversation, you're a troll. You're looking to make trouble where there isn't any. You've done it in this thread and others.

If you like the game, fine, if you don't, fine. Just... start contributing something other than what you've done so far.

Okay. I will contribute. Light sabers are an or the, obvious nod to other works.

It's a bit more blatant than other games references, but I don't see how it should be ignored.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:41 am Reply with quote
Letthemeatraep wrote:
And I don't see what was answered there either, you have have still yet to explain in what way I am a "fanboy", or is this just your knee jerk response to anyone who offers justified criticism of anything Nintendo related?

Yeah, that's basically it. 'Fanboy' is basically the 'Nazi' of gaming as far as insults go. What? Somebody disagrees with me? Well clearly he's just being a fanboy!

sfried wrote:
Letthemeatraep wrote:
The Wii menu isn't the problem. the outdated tech, over-reliance on gimmicks, uncomfortable and over-expensive control set ups, last gen game ports at full retail as selling points and massive amounts of shovelware are. But yes, because I don't think the same as you on the matter, obviously I'M the one that's wrong.

So you're calling No More Heroes 2, Shattered Memories, Tastunoko vs. Capcom, MadWorld, Fragile, Muramasa, and Sky Crawlers all shovelware, last-gen ports and nothing but gimmicks?

You know, it's pretty clear that this is not what he said. After your baseless accusation that he hated the Wii because of it's menu alone, he explained that these are the reasons he dislikes it. He did not say that these things apply to every single Wii game. That was your inference.

Certainly the Wii has some notable titles but come on. Let's be honest with ourselves here. Those titles are few and far between. Especially when you discount all the stuff that is just a port of a last gen game, I think you'd be hard pressed to find even a dozen really good titles for it.

Quote:
So while you may not be a fanboy to one console, you are obviously a troll and a Nintendo-hater.

Do you have anything vaguely relevant to say? Perhaps something that is not just an ad hominem attack?
sfried

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Certainly the Wii has some notable titles but come on. Let's be honest with ourselves here. Those titles are few and far between. Especially when you discount all the stuff that is just a port of a last gen game, I think you'd be hard pressed to find even a dozen really good titles for it.
I disagree, as I had no problem finding the titles I wanted during the holidays. Wii has some excellent yet very overlooked software out there. I'll admit Wii games are not the best when it comes to advertising, but there are definitely solid games that's something other than shovelware and "Wii ports".

The whole "few titles inbetween" is just a misconception. One thing I am certain is that my Wii library has grown consideably faster than my DS, the latter I use frequently and quite have a sizable game collection.
ZeroBladez

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:40 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Tamaria wrote:
Is it weird for me to look foward to Ar Tonelico 3? I don't like the whole undressing thing, but I really enjoyed the first two games because of the gameplay, music and characters. Really, things can't get much better than charging Replakia and unleashing certain doom upon your enemy!

Why is it weird to look forward to a game franchise you like? Don't let others opinions keep you from anticipating and enjoying games you like. In fact, tell them to shove it!

I agree. And that review from last year of ATII was pretty offensive at some parts. Seriously. I can't like the series for it's fun story or characters? Art or music? Do i have to become some obsessed male otaku in order to like this game? I mean come on, i've even seen a few females at various places that play the games. And i'm just a older teenage dude that digs Gust's fun and charming titles. End of story.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:41 am Reply with quote
sfried wrote:
I disagree, as I had no problem finding the titles I wanted during the holidays. Wii has some excellent yet very overlooked software out there.

Would you mind elaborating on what games exactly you're referring to? I'm curious whether we just disagree about a lot of games quality or if you're referring to titles I may have missed.
ZeroBladez

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:37 am Reply with quote
^There are some real good wii titles that are out or coming in the future. Here's what i have interest in out of those:

-Metroid Prime Trilogy
-Metroid: Other M
-No More Heroes
-No More Heroes 2
-Punch-Out!!
-Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
-Rune Factory Frontier
-Super Smash Bros. Brawl
-Little Kings Story
-Super Mario Galaxy
-Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

Stuff like Muramasa, Dead Space Extraction, Fire Emblem, and Madworld seem to be good/decent..but have quite a bit flaws, so they can't be called excellent and are'nt for everyone (but like always nothing can be perfect). There are other good wii titles besides those also, but only a few. The thing is the wii needs some true 9/10 games, so the fanbase can stay satisfied.

But anyway, for 2010 i'm really looking forward to games like Heavy Rain, God of War III, FFXIII, Resonance of Fate, Ar Tonelico III, The Last Guardian, Alpha Protocol, Shin Megami Tensei related games, etc. Gonna be a great year for sure. Still need Bayonetta too.
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
New Super Mario Bros. is a blast. I'd love to play Metroid: Other M and I really feel like I should be playing the first three games.

Unfortunately I don't have easy access to the Wii so I can't really play it cause I'm never home.

Also, I am only intgerested in a few games anyway, for any system.

XBOX360 - splinter cell conviction,
PS3- Metal Gear, Killzone 2
Wii- NSMB, Metroid, Mario party.

Anything else is just a rental in my eyes.
sfried

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
sfried wrote:
I disagree, as I had no problem finding the titles I wanted during the holidays. Wii has some excellent yet very overlooked software out there.

Would you mind elaborating on what games exactly you're referring to? I'm curious whether we just disagree about a lot of games quality or if you're referring to titles I may have missed.
Mario Galaxy, Punch Out, MadWorld, Muramasa, A Boy and His Blob, Silent Hill:Shattered Memories, NMH/Red Steel bundle, NSMBWii, Final Fantasy CC: Crystal Bearers, Rune Factory Frontier, Little King's Story, Trauma Center, also some WiiWare titles like LostWinds, World of Goo, the ReBirth series, and that new GameArts game.

Will be looking forward to getting The Sky Crawlers once I get that $10 off next week from the TvC preorder. Also can't wait for Sin & Punishment 2, Arc Rise Fantasia and Fragile Dreams.

Edit: I think ZeroBladez beat me to some of the games I mentioned.

And I also found out No More Heroes 2 supports the Classic Controller, so I guess that should put the "gimmick" complaints to rest.

And get some component cables or VGA cables if your Wii looks like crap on your HD. Progressive scan makes all the difference. (That's the first thing I did when I got my Wii.)
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:10 am Reply with quote
sfried wrote:
Mario Galaxy, Punch Out, MadWorld, Muramasa, A Boy and His Blob, Silent Hill:Shattered Memories, NMH/Red Steel bundle, NSMBWii, Final Fantasy CC: Crystal Bearers, Rune Factory Frontier, Little King's Story, Trauma Center, also some WiiWare titles like LostWinds, World of Goo, the ReBirth series, and that new GameArts game.

Well, we may just have different views on this one. I for one though Red Steel was awful. The controls really never worked right and never lived up to expectations. Madworld was okay (some pretty fun boss fights) but I can't help but think that it would be largely forgotten if not for it's distinctive style. It was otherwise a very dull and generic brawler which gained very little from the motion controls. Slogging through the pre-boss levels was painfully boring. The same can largely be said of NMH1. It's certainly distinctive enough but I found I was really only playing it for the boss fights. The other combat was not especially interesting and the driving/minigames were painful.

I'll admit I never played Muramasa or Punch Out although I mean to at some point so I'd certainly agree with those. I must say I'm skeptical about Crystal Bearers though in light of it's fairly brutal review scores. I'm not sure about the rest. My complaint though is that even if I were to give you the benefit of the doubt about all those others it's pretty poor when you consider that the Wii is over 3 years old. I mean, putting aside Wiiware games, that's only about a half dozen games that I wouldn't outright disagree are good. You do the math and that's only four games worth playing a year. Whereas you look at other systems and it seems like there's easily another game worth playing coming out every few weeks (on average anyway). The Wii looks to have a stronger lineup for 2010 so hopefully it will get better but so far I would have to describe it as far inferior.
sfried

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
sfried wrote:

Well, we may just have different views on this one. I for one though Red Steel was awful. The controls really never worked right and never lived up to expectations. Madworld was okay (some pretty fun boss fights) but I can't help but think that it would be largely forgotten if not for it's distinctive style. It was otherwise a very dull and generic brawler which gained very little from the motion controls. Slogging through the pre-boss levels was painfully boring. The same can largely be said of NMH1. It's certainly distinctive enough but I found I was really only playing it for the boss fights. The other combat was not especially interesting and the driving/minigames were painful.

I'll admit I never played Muramasa or Punch Out although I mean to at some point so I'd certainly agree with those. I must say I'm skeptical about Crystal Bearers though in light of it's fairly brutal review scores. I'm not sure about the rest. My complaint though is that even if I were to give you the benefit of the doubt about all those others it's pretty poor when you consider that the Wii is over 3 years old. I mean, putting aside Wiiware games, that's only about a half dozen games that I wouldn't outright disagree are good. You do the math and that's only four games worth playing a year. Whereas you look at other systems and it seems like there's easily another game worth playing coming out every few weeks (on average anyway). The Wii looks to have a stronger lineup for 2010 so hopefully it will get better but so far I would have to describe it as far inferior.
I got No More Heores and Red Steel as a bundle which is supposed to be normally priced at $30, but somehow got it for only $22 since it was on the clearance rack at Best Buy (I really only got it for NMH). I'm not going by reviews when I got Crystal Chronicles, as I knew not to expect a traditional Final Fantasy (and considerng how Nomura butchered the franchise, Crystal Chronicles seems like a breath of fresh air). And Little King's Story is one excellent underrated title and it would be a crime to not let it be considered worth playing along with Punch Out and Muramasa.

I think the big problem is that not many people are giving these games a chance, and brush them off compared to the heavily marketed and advertised titles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4