• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Packaging Questions

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Pantha wrote:

I used to have the thinpak release for SuperGals, then when I decided I wanted the extras I bought the singles, then sold the thin pack off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Those Paul Champagne boxes are definitely neat.

...If they were $10 a piece. But $30? No frakking thank you...

They are steel boxes that are hand engraved with lasers. Each one is custom made and limited edition. they aren't made out of cardboard!!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
It is a thin cardboard box, that you can use to hold discs, but it will not be a perfect fit, very similar to Eureka Seven SE's. (The box itself is slightly longer than usual, creating gaps.)

That doesn't sound all that captivating. I'm going to have to look into importing the Madman box from somewhere. Thanks for the heads up, FaytLein.

Might as well ask it while I'm at it: Anybody know where can I get the R4 box for Scrapped Princess? Madman doesn't it have it on their site and I just went through the Int'l Retailer's thread and couldn't find it on any of the sites there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Posting here to keep all the packaging pics together.

Here's my Trinity Blood Collector's Edition put out by Funimation. I think this should link to the Limited Edition vol. 1, but Amazon doesn't mention an artbox with this disc, so I'm not 100% sure this is the right object. I'm pretty sure it's out of print though.

Art box closed. (er... sorry about the dust)
Art box open.
Art box empty.
All 6 discs with slipcases on.

From here on, I'm just showing Disc 1. All discs have different artwork inside and out, different cards, and different booklets.

Disc holding case, front and back.
Disc case open.
Booklet and tarot cards.
A couple of images from the booklet. 1 & 2.

Last edited by kyokun703 on Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
@kyokun703

That artbox is frigging sick Cool . I've never bought Trinity Blood in any form, but this is tempting. Should probably go for the blu ray though to avoid the double-dip.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Adding more, since I'm in the mood.

Basilisk Collector's Edition, put out by Funimation. I think this came out the same time as Trinity Blood, so the releases are somewhat similar. Singles are sold separately.

Art box (made of wood, with paper illustrations mounted on).
Art box open. One side panel slides up to reveal the discs.
The 6 discs with slipcovers on. Discs 1-3 slipcovers are embossed with scales and discs 4-6 are embossed with feathers to portray the two clans.

From here on is Disc 1 only.

Disc 1 case, opened up, front and back.
Disc 1 case, opened up, inside.
Pamphlet and 3 character cards.
Pamphlet unfolded.

-----

Getbackers, with series box. These boxes are nothing really special, just the releases that come with discs 1 & 6 if you choose to buy it that way.

-----

Serial Experiments Lain boxed set, released by Pioneer.

Box with slipcase on.
Front of box, slipcase removed.
Back of box, slipcase removed. Also, you can see the discs are just the single releases, boxed up.

-----

Midori Days, Premium Box, from Media Blasters.

Box set, front. Again, it's a nice box, but the discs are just the repackaged singles.
Box set, back.

-----

My-Hime with special edition artbox, released by Bandai. My-Otome has a matching box, but I don't have that anime. The box is made to hold the 7 singles, and comes with disc 7.

Artbox closed, front.
Artbox closed, back.
Artbox open, with lid interior.
Artbox empty.

-----

Flag, limited edition, released by Bandai. Made to resemble a camera case. Comes with v. 1 of DVD.

Box view 1
Box view 2
Art box, opened. Box is held shut by a magnet.

-----

Junjou Romantica, season 1, released by Nozomi. Nozomi is one of the few companies still doing nice sets.

Box front.
Box back.
3 discs, and booklet.
Example of booklet page.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Some more.

Kodocha, seasons 1 & 2 (eps. 1-51), thinpacks from Funimation.

Unlike the original artboxes, these do match.

Thinpack boxsets, front.
Thinpack boxsets, spines.
Thinpack cases.

-----

Samurai 7, complete series, released by Funimation.

Includes the discs in one box, and 7 artbooks in another box.

Container front.
Container side, showing interior boxes.
The two interior boxes.
An artbook plus example from book.
Disc box unfolded once.
Disc box unfolded full, showing discs.

-----

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Limited Edition, released from Bandai.

Disc box, front.
Disc box, back.
Disc box, open.
2 DVDs and CD, front.

-----

GTO, re-release box sets from Funimation. Semester 1 and Semester 2.

Boxsets, front.
Boxset 1, unfolded once.
Boxset 1, unfolded all the way.

-----

Fighting Spirit, complete collection volumes 1 & 2, released by Geneon.

Simple sets, this is mostly to show how the discs are packaged, in case people were curious. Each set has 8 discs. (off topic, this is one of my top 5 favorite anime series, and I'm so glad I got this)

Cases.
Example of disc set up.

-----

Big O and Big O II, complete collection, Anime Legends set, released by Bandai.

For some reason, the picture on TRSI for the first set does not match the one I have, even though that is the one I ordered according to my order history. Maybe they released a new cover.

Cases.
Example of disc set up.

-----

Kaleido Star (Amazing Collection) and Kaleido Star New Wings (True Star Collection), thinpacks, released by Funimation.

Boxes.
Boxes with disc spines.
Disc cases for Kaleido Star.
Disc cases for KS: New Wings.

-----

Rozen Maiden artbox, which holds both sets of singles of Rozen Maiden and Rozen Maiden Traumend. The artbox comes with disc 1 of Rozen Maiden. The box is covered with a fuzzy red material simulating velvet and the picture is stamped in metallic gold.

Artbox front (showing disc spines).
Artbox back.

-----

Le Chevalier d'Eon, released by ADV.

The box came with disc 2, which I thought was an excellent marketing ploy, as it let people buy the cheaper single first volume to see if they liked it, without forcing them to spend more for the box, in case they didn't like it. During my blind buying days, I used to hate having to decide to risk buying the more expensive disc 1 + artbox in case I ended up liking it, only to be irritated to find a mediocre series.

Artbox.
Artbox showing slipcased spines.
All 6 discs with slipcases.
Disc 1 without slipcase.
Disc 1 open.
Example pages from booklet 1: 1 & 2
NessFreaK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote
Does anyone have any info on the different packaging options of aquarion? are the Aquarion Season 1 DVD Box Set 1 and 2 fold out sets? what about the Complete Collection Box Set? It is a standard hard dvd case?
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
@NessFreak

The season sets are definitely the standard thinpacks Funimation uses (flimsy pieces of crap). I believe the complete set is just a standard size case (but don't quote me on it!).
PiercingArrow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
sorry for bumping this thread but i just have this question that keeps bugging me all night. Does any of u guys happens to buy this Code Geass R2 artbox Taiwan Version from Yesasia? KoH mentioned this one long ago. But according to him it fits 6 dvds on it so i need to put extra dvds on it to make it fit, if i remember right. so since i got 2 options im putting aside the Madman version for later until i got more info about the taiwan version artbox. so can any of u guys can share a pic of how does the Gode Geass r2 taiwan version artbox looks like?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:35 am Reply with quote
You may want to ask that question over on Mania since there are a lot of importers there and would probably know more about it. Hell, some of them might even have pictures for you.

Or, you could ask dormcat who is an encyclopedia editor here since he lives in Taiwan. I'm sure he could you help you out when he's not busy doing stuff for the site.
PiercingArrow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
ok thanks for helping me out somehow. I posted a thread on Mania and hopefully someone actually bought the item and share their experience with it to me. If not, ill probably just blind buy the taiwan version if i didn't get any response to see what it looks like and just post it here

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
anyone with pictures of the Twelve Kingdoms Premium Box Sets 1 and 2? thanks...
lucas755

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
What do the "anime legends complete collections" look like for Lucky Star and Haruhi season 1?
PiercingArrow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
@ 28076004505531

Amazon had some couple of customer pics here and here

@lucas755

heres some pic of the Lucky Star Anime Legends, pic1 pic2. I dont have the Anime Legends for Haruhi Suzumiya but i think they're almost exactly the same
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 28