• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Adds Gintama, Hidamari Sketch x 365 Anime

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Indeed it was. Our friend Conan-san appears to show some dissatisfaction towards the subtitling present within the title in question.

Well, it's not so much a quality complaint. He seems to think any sub-only DVD release is worthless, and therefore companies which release such discs should go out of business. A very enlightened view.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
Indeed it was. Our friend Conan-san appears to show some dissatisfaction towards the subtitling present within the title in question.

Well, it's not so much a quality complaint. He seems to think any sub-only DVD release is worthless, and therefore companies which release such discs should go out of business. A very enlightened view.

In general he's an angry little fella and calls for the horrible death of every company that does something, no matter how minor, that he doesn't like.
triangle_man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Skyhawk wrote:
triangle_man wrote:
Quark wrote:
You don't see foreign film buffs blowing a gasket when a movie comes out without a dub.

Nope, a dub would destroy Seven Samurai for me.

Watch it there, I almost had a stroke when you put dub and Seven Samurai in the same sentence. That is one of my all time favorite movies even though it came out in 1954 and was B/W.

Same here, I'm quite happy with my Criterion remaster.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
More the grammar that got me than anything else. Thought somebody was writing a modern poetry piece.

They did dub Seven Samurai. They just replaced all the actors onscreen with white cowboys and called it the Magnificent Seven. Smile
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:59 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Presenting Gintama, the unwatchable because the subs are pants official Frisbee set!

Seriously, ADV, please 'effing die already.

Was that even English? What the hell did that even mean?
Allow me to translate.

" Dear Sentai (formally known as ADV): In my opinion Gintama is not a very good title, therefore I will not be purchasing it should it ever get a UK licence. Please try to do better in future, as I know you can. Kind Regards Conan-san. "

I hope this is useful.
Actually it's the subtitles I have issue with rather than the show.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
So was that legitimate UK slang?
Sadly yes. Our education system is a failure, because of too much central government interference and policy changing in mid stream, plus the text culture has diluted most coherance. Add to that an overdose of various hormones and that is what we have to listen to.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Presenting Gintama, the unwatchable because the subs are pants official Frisbee set!

Seriously, ADV, please 'effing die already.

Was that even English? What the hell did that even mean?
Allow me to translate.

" Dear Sentai (formally known as ADV): In my opinion Gintama is not a very good title, therefore I will not be purchasing it should it ever get a UK licence. Please try to do better in future, as I know you can. Kind Regards Conan-san. "

I hope this is useful.
Actually it's the subtitles I have issue with rather than the show.

How can you judge subtitles on a show you haven't watched yet? Sentai had some issues with Clannad, and the occasional flub on other releases, but their subs have been quite good for several months.

I noticed a few mistakes on Hidamari Sketch and Ghoust Hound Part 2, but they were nothing significant, and certainly no worse than I've noted on the subs from Funimation and Bandai.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:24 am Reply with quote
This is really sad news (that Sentai will not be english dubbing gin tama), but I will still buy the DVD Box Sets and watch them English Subbed.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Although its wonderful that Gintama and Your Under Arrest have been licensed, the fact that there isn't an English audio truly is disappointing. Probably would have bought Gintama if there was an English audio because I've enjoyed the manga so very much.

If I wanted to read, I'd read the manga. Too bad, but maybe Viz Media will dub the series one day. Its one of the very, very few shows that actually has jokes and comedy that actually is humorous.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Although its wonderful that Gintama and Your Under Arrest have been licensed, the fact that there isn't an English audio truly is disappointing. Probably would have bought Gintama if there was an English audio because I've enjoyed the manga so very much.

If I wanted to read, I'd read the manga. Too bad, but maybe Viz Media will dub the series one day. Its one of the very, very few shows that actually has jokes and comedy that actually is humorous.

If Viz would have wanted Gin Tama, or was able to get a TV deal for it, they would have it. They definitely had the insider track to it.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:17 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Maybe Sentai will go back and DUB Gintama one of these days? Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 16 of 16