• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Delays Eureka Seven Movie, Hayate, Kurokami

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:45 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Banken wrote:
As a HUGE Eureka Seven fan I was woefully disappointed by the movie version... it adds nothing to the franchise and it took a slightly convoluted story line, tossed it in the blender, and made it come out as something that made even less sense (talking about Kojima levels of 'WTF' here)... and the production values are astonishingly low for a theatrical release. But what do you expect from something that's 80% recycled.
The plot was a complete shambles I agree*, but there was very, very little recycled footage IIRC. The closest they came was re-using one or two shots of KLF goons exploding, overlaid onto new backgrounds. The animation itself wasn't all that bad either. not high-budget movie level (Oshii, Miyazaki, et al), but compares favourably with most high-budget OVAs.

*And inexplicably so. It's essentially completely unrelated to the series, but for anyone who hasn't seen the series it's also utterly nonsensical. Anyone who has seen the series will just be bemused by its pointlessness.

They didn't even bother to animate the video/audio linkups. This is E7, not Eva. People don't put video phones on 'voice only' by default. Even the TV show animated them!

And yes, the movie is pointless to fans and useless to non-fans.

And the ending sucks because she apparently spoiler[loses all her memories for no apparent reason, and Renton seems to be OK with this.]
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:12 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
edzieba wrote:
Banken wrote:
As a HUGE Eureka Seven fan I was woefully disappointed by the movie version... it adds nothing to the franchise and it took a slightly convoluted story line, tossed it in the blender, and made it come out as something that made even less sense (talking about Kojima levels of 'WTF' here)... and the production values are astonishingly low for a theatrical release. But what do you expect from something that's 80% recycled.
The plot was a complete shambles I agree*, but there was very, very little recycled footage IIRC. The closest they came was re-using one or two shots of KLF goons exploding, overlaid onto new backgrounds. The animation itself wasn't all that bad either. not high-budget movie level (Oshii, Miyazaki, et al), but compares favourably with most high-budget OVAs.

*And inexplicably so. It's essentially completely unrelated to the series, but for anyone who hasn't seen the series it's also utterly nonsensical. Anyone who has seen the series will just be bemused by its pointlessness.

They didn't even bother to animate the video/audio linkups. This is E7, not Eva. People don't put video phones on 'voice only' by default. Even the TV show animated them!

And the ending sucks because she apparently spoiler[loses all her memories for no apparent reason, and Renton seems to be OK with this.]

He's "okay with it" because they're both alive. spoiler[The last thing he remembers is being near death, and things were looking bad. I can't recall if he knew about her limited lifespan, but her becoming human is something to cheer about, too. Now she can live in the sunlight and grow old with him. Also, she didn't lose her memories "for no apparent reason", she gave up her 'self' to save his life. That's why his mortal wound is healed at the end.]
Basroil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote
I hope Bandai gets the last Code Geass R2 set out before they go under. Seriously I'm worried about them. Their release schedule is so sparse and strung out already and they still are delaying disc even longer looks to me like money problems. The long release schedule and delays are just going to make people like me stop buying new releases. Best for me to wait till the whole show is out and not get caught short.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
What the hell is going on with Bandai yet again with more delays
Shugo2540

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

Also, the ending was slightly WTF? too. It's wasn't a bad ending (in the 'bad end' sort of meaning), but it wasn't at all satisfying.

I suggest any E7 fans save their money.
Just to let you know after seeing this I ws also like WTF but if you watched the special stuff at the end this movie wasn't made for fans it was supposed to be standalone, for people who saw the preview and thought it would be a good movie. After seeing that i felt better and will buy it upon release. This was not made for the eureka seven fanbase but for everyone you didn't have to see the series to understand the movie.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh well, almost doesn't bother me at this point. Unless Bandai licenses a few TV series soon, their release schedule will be dry by the end of the year anyway. Gundam 00 Season 2, the remainder of Code Geass R2, the remainder of Hayate, and Kurokami. Once they're done, there won't be anything left. Unless Bandai licenses a few series soon, my only guess is that they're planning on hanging in there long enough to finish the series they're got and then quietly folding into the night. I'm sad, as they licensed a lot of great series, but in terms of recent activity, with their delays, frequent glitched releases, and lack of artboxes despite essentially still releasing volumes, it does feel like they're behind in the game too much. Well, if it does happen, it was a fun ride while it lasted.
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to take a guess and say that Bandai just doesn't want to do business the "Geneon" way. In other words, spend money they don't have. They could be giving themselves more time to collect more revenue from current releases.

At least the delay is only a month...supposedly.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Aw man, and I just ordered Kurokami: The Animation Part 1...

Wonder if it'll become like Geneon or ADV?
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
They didn't even bother to animate the video/audio linkups.
Given the linkups often occurred during a lavishly animated battle, I think it was less minor penny-pinching, and more a stylistic choice (and an opportunity for visual humor by switching from the static face image to a live feed of an irate crewmember).
Shugo2540 wrote:
you didn't have to see the series to understand the movie.
Two cinemas full of mostly confused anime geeks would disagree with you.
Jetto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the E7 movie much more than the TV series. I enjoyed the TV series until the end. Call me crazy for not wanting to see her turn into a butterfly or some crap.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Banken wrote:
Given the linkups often occurred during a lavishly animated battle, I think it was less minor penny-pinching, and more a stylistic choice (and an opportunity for visual humor by switching from the static face image to a live feed of an irate crewmember).

There's also the fact that the movie takes place in a much less technologically advanced time period. Video feeds probably aren't as refined.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Son of b****. Not again. *sigh* Mad Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Quote:
you didn't have to see the series to understand the movie.

Two cinemas full of mostly confused anime geeks would disagree with you.

The effect is the same whether you saw the series or not. The movie is just that disorienting and befuddling, sadly.

Last edited by Kruszer on Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention the plot is ape-shit insane.

The TV series was quality anime. The movie was...underwhelming, and mediocre.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote
KoujiTamino wrote:
Banken wrote:
edzieba wrote:
Banken wrote:

He's "okay with it" because they're both alive. spoiler[The last thing he remembers is being near death, and things were looking bad. I can't recall if he knew about her limited lifespan, but her becoming human is something to cheer about, too. Now she can live in the sunlight and grow old with him. Also, she didn't lose her memories "for no apparent reason", she gave up her 'self' to save his life. That's why his mortal wound is healed at the end.]

That's still a really bad ending compared to the TV series, and the TV series' ending (the last five minutes) wasn't particularly satisfying either (too vague, and you didn't see what happens to the Gekkou's crew, especially Talho's baby), although the finale/climax as a whole was EPIC.

Although the box art for the last Japanese DVD volume WAS a nice little tidbit for us to speculate on.

To be honest I don't even remember anything about a spoiler[mortal wound, but I expected her to give up being a 'spy robot' (this. this is a retarded plot point.) in order to become human, but not to lose that which makes her human; her memories. I mean, why not rob her of what actually ties her to Renton in the first place (her childhood, her experiences, her feelings for him, and everything that happens to them in the movie,), why don't you? That = sad ending, alive and human or not. ]
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
KoujiTamino wrote:
edzieba wrote:
Banken wrote:

There's also the fact that the movie takes place in a much less technologically advanced time period. Video feeds probably aren't as refined.

That's just your speculation, based on the fact that the movie arbitrarily takes place in 2050 whereas the TV show takes place in spoiler[ 12005]. If anything, they have MORE technology because on top of KLFs, aerial carrier craft, and space-based doomsday devices, they still have functioning spacecraft (the colony ship from the TV series is mentioned as being inoperative/unrepairable because of the lack of knowhow, IIRC, versus the refuge ship being filled with X amount of people).

TV > movie. Period.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5