• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Delays Eureka Seven Movie, Hayate, Kurokami

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Shugo2540 wrote:
Banken wrote:
As a HUGE Eureka Seven fan I was woefully disappointed by the movie version... it adds nothing to the franchise and it took a slightly convoluted story line, tossed it in the blender, and made it come out as something that made even less sense (talking about Kojima levels of 'WTF' here)... and the production values are astonishingly low for a theatrical release. But what do you expect from something that's 80% recycled.

Also, the ending was slightly WTF? too. It's wasn't a bad ending (in the 'bad end' sort of meaning), but it wasn't at all satisfying.

I suggest any E7 fans save their money.
Just to let you know after seeing this I ws also like WTF but if you watched the special stuff at the end this movie wasn't made for fans it was supposed to be standalone, for people who saw the preview and thought it would be a good movie. After seeing that i felt better and will buy it upon release. This was not made for the eureka seven fanbase but for everyone you didn't have to see the series to understand the movie.

That's just it; it misleads non-fan audience because it ruins the characters that the TV series made, and it has a totally nonsensical plot that wouldn't appeal to anyone but E7 fans who are desperate for more content.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
And in other news...

PetrifiedJello has recently announced his Bandai purchases will be delayed until 2011.
"I just feel it's a necessary step to take. Bandai's recent news to release titles in March conflicts with other purchases I will be making. If Bandai thinks I'm going to buy its products over FUNimation or Aria, they're sadly mistaken.", he said.

Couldn't you just, you know, put the money aside? If you were already going to buy these titles it's not like the money is suddenly going to vanish now that they have been delayed, right? Take the money you were going to spend now and put it aside, then come March put it with the money you are going to spend in March and buy all of the titles. Why is this so hard?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
Well, this is not good news. I can stand delays. I don't like them, but I can stand them. However, it makes it seem like the writing is on the wall for Bandai - or at least that they're seriously in trouble. Yet another delay - for multiple series no less - and no sign of new licenses. I really hope that they pull out of this, but it really looks like they're hanging by a string.

Though I would point out that avoiding Bandai's releases because they seem to be doing poorly will just make it that much more likely that you won't get all of a particular show. So, while everyone is quite free to buy or not buy for whatever reasons they may have, avoiding Bandai's releases will just make the problem worse.

Of course, what I'd really like to see from Bandai is BD releases of their series - especially Code Geass and Gundam 00 - but as all that they've released on BD are movies, and they appear to be in big trouble, that's probably a pipe dream at this point.

As for the Eureka 7 movie, I saw it in the theater, and it was the first time that I'd seen any Eureka 7 anything. I quite liked it. I have since seen the series, and I can understand why someone who had seen the series first wouldn't like it, but taken on it's own without any knowledge of Eureka 7, it's a good movie. It may not be the best, but I thought that it was quite good - particularly for an anime movie. Most of them are pretty bad - due to being ludicrously short if nothing else - but this one was good (though it did run longer than most anime films, so that probably helped a fair bit).

In any case, I really hope that Bandai manages to recover soon.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
I'm well past 'fed up' with Bandai, though... I believe I'm up to 'given up' at this point. I was throughly pleased with Bandai back when I was getting the first Code Geass LEs, with their 2-disc/2 cases with CDs and booklets and other goodies. I was dissapointed when R2 didn't have the goodies. I was fed up when Hayate 'part 1' turned out to be 'disc 1, but we're saying part so you'll think the $40 price is justified.'

Those Code Geass LEs were easily the best releases of anime that I've ever seen with regards to physical extras - with some good on-disc extras too. I was thoroughly disappointed when the R2 LE releases' only physical extras was the manga. Honestly, I couldn't care less about the manga when it's the anime which came first. It was those CDs and the fantastic booklets which I was so excited about. They even had drama CDs in English! And even if the only external extras were soundtrack CDs, that would still be great (obviously not as good, but still great). I'm always up for soundtrack CDs with a release. But unfortunately, it seems that the average fan just wants the discs cheap - if not free - and so the releases with the nice extras just don't sell well enough to merit the cost.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
And in other news...

PetrifiedJello has recently announced his Bandai purchases will be delayed until 2011.
"I just feel it's a necessary step to take. Bandai's recent news to release titles in March conflicts with other purchases I will be making. If Bandai thinks I'm going to buy its products over FUNimation or Aria, they're sadly mistaken.", he said.

Couldn't you just, you know, put the money aside? If you were already going to buy these titles it's not like the money is suddenly going to vanish now that they have been delayed, right? Take the money you were going to spend now and put it aside, then come March put it with the money you are going to spend in March and buy all of the titles. Why is this so hard?

Emerje

I could be mistaken, but I have a feeling that the message that PJ was trying to convey is that if you guys (Bandai) are going to continuously delay releasing your product, then I guess I'll continuously delay purchasing them even when they do (finally) come out. My apologies, PJ, if I have misinterpreted your point.
Badkarma 1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
As long as I have been watching anime, Bandai(be it Pioneer,Geneon,or Bandai)has always ran about 2nd or 3rd place in regards to releases,usually behind ADV,U.S.Manga Corp,and sometimes Manga Ent.
But those releases were WORTH the wait as Bandai always wowed us with something we all wanted!
I'm gonna get the rest of Code Geass R2 and Freedom then see what happens.
Here's a question for ya though; IF Sunrise does indeed release another run of Code Geass(be it OAV,movie,season or whatever)and Bandai has gone 'belly up' who do you think will get it and(maybe)release it over here?
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I could be mistaken, but I have a feeling that the message that PJ was trying to convey is that if you guys (Bandai) are going to continuously delay releasing your product, then I guess I'll continuously delay purchasing them even when they do (finally) come out. My apologies, PJ, if I have misinterpreted your point.

Not buying things you actually want just to teach a company a lesson sure does sound like a good way to help the struggling industry. Rolling Eyes

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
edzieba

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Not buying things you actually want just to teach a company a lesson sure does sound like a good way to help the struggling industry
I fear a corollary to Godwins Law is required for anime forums: When 'The Struggling Industry' is mentioned, any effective discussion is no longer possible.
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if they went under. Its obvious something is very wrong at Bandai. But anyone's guess as to what exactly.

same here but I think they will live on as long as they have Code Geass and Gurren Laghn, but who know's what happen
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Badkarma 1 wrote:
As long as I have been watching anime, Bandai(be it Pioneer,Geneon,or Bandai)has always ran about 2nd or 3rd place in regards to releases,usually behind ADV,U.S.Manga Corp,and sometimes Manga Ent.
But those releases were WORTH the wait as Bandai always wowed us with something we all wanted!
I'm gonna get the rest of Code Geass R2 and Freedom then see what happens.
Here's a question for ya though; IF Sunrise does indeed release another run of Code Geass(be it OAV,movie,season or whatever)and Bandai has gone 'belly up' who do you think will get it and(maybe)release it over here?

Bandai Visual. The company that is releasing Gundam Unicorn here under the Honneamise label is also the Japanese distributor for Code Geass.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Not buying things you actually want just to teach a company a lesson sure does sound like a good way to help the struggling industry. Rolling Eyes

Emerje

When a company repeatedly misses its release dates and (as far as I know) never bothers to explain to its prospective customers the reason for the delays, it has to expect a certain amount of ill will. That's just the reality.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Judging by this update, I'm REALLY losing hope with Bandai. Heck, I already lost hopes with Bandai when they unable (or more accurately, failed) to get Hayate the Combat Butler. Not only, I lost all hopes of seeing Hayate the Combat Butler dubbed in North America (there is a Southeast Asian dub, but I'm unable to access it). I hope Bandai Entertainment gets bankrupted and bought out by Disney. Heck, I think Disney can do a better job in dubbing than Bandai.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:04 am Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
Judging by this update, I'm REALLY losing hope with Bandai. Heck, I already lost hopes with Bandai when they unable (or more accurately, failed) to get Hayate the Combat Butler. Not only, I lost all hopes of seeing Hayate the Combat Butler dubbed in North America (there is a Southeast Asian dub, but I'm unable to access it). I hope Bandai Entertainment gets bankrupted and bought out by Disney. Heck, I think Disney can do a better job in dubbing than Bandai.

You are assuming that Disney would want to do anything with anime beyond Mr. Japanese Walt Disney.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:43 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Emerje

I see your sarcastic criticism and raise you another. Supporting a company that repeatedly screws fans over because you don't want them to fail sure does sound like a good way to get them to stop screwing fans over and contributing to their own failure. Rolling Eyes

Seriously though, should you really be so quick to criticize? I don't claim that either option is preferable but rather it's quite a dilemma. Do you support a company regardless just because you don't want them to fail and risk encouraging them to continue the stuff that makes people not want to support them? Or do you try and send a message and risk putting them out of business? It's easy to criticize either choice but tough to actually say which is best.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:06 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Dark Paladin X wrote:

You are assuming that Disney would want to do anything with anime beyond Mr. Japanese Walt Disney.

Well, considering how well the Disney dubs turn out from Miyazaki films, I'd say they are capable of doing so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5