• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Haruhi Anime Season's DVDs Mentioned in New Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:01 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
ASOS always made me wanna puke

Yeah, there's nothing worse than when a company put effort into marketing their product towards the fans!

Why, it's almost as if they're fans of it themselves! The bastards!

Last edited by penguintruth on Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Togame

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:01 am Reply with quote
Even Bandai?

2009 production wasn't the second season and that's an important part of how you view those new episodes - either as additional content filling in the gaps before Disappearance (in which case it succeds with a bit of creativity) or a stand alone season (in which case it's a horrible failure).
AJtheFourth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:03 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Is there any way to purchase a special set that doesn't include "Endless Eight"? I like the rest of season 2, but I don't want to look like I'm supporting that awful stunt.

Seriously, is there any word on how they're going to release it yet? Then again, it's Bandai, so they'll probably do it in singles with 3-4 episodes per disc. Then you could buy the first disc for 'Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody,' skip over the next disc with three to four straight 'Endless Eight' episodes and then pick up the disc with the first 'Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya' episode on it. I'm assuming Bandai is going to do singles anyway because, a: that's what they did for the first season, b: the franchise is so huge they know they can get more money out of it that way, and c: the 'Endless Eight' DVDs still sold really well in Japan.

shay guy wrote:
There are possibilities for joke dubs of E8. You only really need them for #3-7, because 1, 2, and 8 are different enough to work. Let's see...a Ghost Stories-style dub, a completely bizarro dub like whatever it was that Zoku SZS episode did, a dub where the American VAs do the original Japanese script, maybe a dub where EVERYONE knows about the loop...any other ideas?

A musical dub? Gotta throw one musical-style episode in there since they're always the rage. This would make all of those episodes a bit more worth buying.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I don't get it. Haruhi, ZOMG HUEG ANIME BUY IT NOW, BUY 5 COPIES, apparently doesn't do as well as Bandai had hoped, despite being huge on the fansub scene, then licensed season two, which was probably loathed by the majority of the fansub scene. Not saying fansub scene and people who buy anime are mutually exclusive though. How are they going to market this? Even if they do a joke dub, I fail to see it going far when every episode is still exactly the goddamn same. What are they gonna do, have repeats of the same jokes as well?

I had a feeling this wasn't going to do as well, most of the fanbase seems to be rather "passionate" and every little flaw in a dub would turn them away, so they stuck with fansubs. Not to mention some people are just cheap.

Ms Cristina Vee seems like a nice girl but I really think she needs to work on her acting skills, she's passionate but that's it... so I hope she doesn't replace any of the original dub actresses.

I haven't seen the 2nd season yet and liked the 1st when I rented it so I hope this comes out quickly. Anyway I am curious about this Endless 8 thing and if Bandai will leave only one episode in, it seems rather costly to dub the entire thing when it's the same script for 8 episodes straight (who's idea was that anyway?!)

penguintruth wrote:

I'm assuming Bandai will include a dub on this release. I bet Wendee Lee and Crispin Freeman sure can't wait to deliver the same lines for eight episodes! Frankly, I don't see how Aya Hirano and Tomokazu Sugita got through it.

I bet money helped
Cool
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I'm assuming Bandai will include a dub on this release. I bet Wendee Lee and Crispin Freeman sure can't wait to deliver the same lines for eight episodes! Frankly, I don't see how Aya Hirano and Tomokazu Sugita got through it.

Might not be Wendee Lee. Some think Cristina Vee might be taking over for S2.

There are possibilities for joke dubs of E8. You only really need them for #3-7, because 1, 2, and 8 are different enough to work. Let's see...a Ghost Stories-style dub, a completely bizarro dub like whatever it was that Zoku SZS episode did, a dub where the American VAs do the original Japanese script, maybe a dub where EVERYONE knows about the loop...any other ideas?

I think I have more ideas: An episode that's just like Family Guy (with someone complaining where the hell are the cut away), an episode filled with references to other anime... or maybe an episode filled with just Bleach references (with Kyon wondering what everyone is talking about) or Lucky Star (of course) and the real topper: All references to the "S.O.S. Brigade" become the "Evil Cookies Club)
Shale

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:29 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
You see, what most people here many not realize or consider is that there are many strict dub only fan that don't care about this rumors of the Endless Eight and are just craving for some more of TMOHS. So much so that they will by it on a whim, and there are so many of them that I think despite all this "hate" towards Haruhi Season 2 it will still be a success in sales. It's like getting more Full Metal Panic, no one cares what it entales because it's been so long since it had a new release, it was good so far and they just want more of it.

Never under eslitmate the power of obsestion, in this case otaku..... Just for the record, I'm not saying I'm one. :lol:

I think you're forgetting that the first series kinda tanked. What makes anybody thing the season that wasn't a big hit with the fansub crowd is going to sell better?
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:30 am Reply with quote
If Bandai takes out the Endless Eight, fans will complain. If they keep the Endless EIght, fans will complain.
sukisho

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:36 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That is the exact same thing as saying that Slayers Next is really 78 episodes because it's part of Slayers as a whole. No, it doesn't work like that.

104 actually.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:36 am Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
You see, what most people here many not realize or consider is that there are many strict dub only fan that don't care about this rumors of the Endless Eight and are just craving for some more of TMOHS. So much so that they will by it on a whim, and there are so many of them that I think despite all this "hate" towards Haruhi Season 2 it will still be a success in sales. It's like getting more Full Metal Panic, no one cares what it entales because it's been so long since it had a new release, it was good so far and they just want more of it.

Never under eslitmate the power of obsestion, in this case otaku..... Just for the record, I'm not saying I'm one. Laughing

I think you're forgetting that the first series kinda tanked. What makes anybody thing the season that wasn't a big hit with the fansub crowd is going to sell better?

Here we go again, didn't Full Metal Panic tank as well at first, but it became a pretty big hit a little while later. Also, it only did bad in the initial release, I'm pretty sure it did well enough to warrant the second season to be dubbed and as for the time between the two seasons, there a lot more people "aware" of the shows existence, thus there are more fans of the show now then when the first season was released.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
If Bandai takes out the Endless Eight, fans will complain. If they keep the Endless EIght, fans will complain.

Then they should keep it. It's a lot easier to skip over something that's there than to see something that isn't.
Shale

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:47 am Reply with quote
Except FMP! was followed by Fumoffu, which was very different from the original series in a way that's pretty much designed to hook people who didn't like or didn't watch the original. Meanwhile, Haruhi season 2 is, from what I know, at best more of Haruhi season 1, and at worst a gigantic insult to everybody paying money for it.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That is the exact same thing as saying that Slayers Next is really 78 episodes because it's part of Slayers as a whole. No, it doesn't work like that.

It does for me Laughing and I don't really care about that, I mean they will be released in one box set sooner or later, then that means that they are one and that is how it will be viewed by the consumer. So just chill. If I didn't know any better, it seems like you want season 2 to do poorly.

Just let me remind you all haters of the second season (endless eight). If the second season does less then expected or poorly then that will not warrant a quick or a definite release of the movie. So just think about what you are complaining about hear and then talk. I don't think I will like the Endless Eight either but it's something I'm willing to sit through knowing something really good will happen in just of it.

I see the Endless Eight as a necessary evil in order to get the Movie here as well.

So you can b*tch and mone if you want, as long as you buy it, I don't care what you think of the series. Just know that if you don't by it then the movie will not make it's way here.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:51 am Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
the first series kinda tanked

It did?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:52 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I don't get it. Haruhi, ZOMG HUEG ANIME BUY IT NOW, BUY 5 COPIES, apparently doesn't do as well as Bandai had hoped, despite being huge on the fansub scene, then licensed season two, which was probably loathed by the majority of the fansub scene.

Yeah, but Bandai's expectations were extremely high. If I understand this right from past discussions, it still sold relatively well and made them money.

Quote:
Not saying fansub scene and people who buy anime are mutually exclusive though. How are they going to market this? Even if they do a joke dub, I fail to see it going far when every episode is still exactly the goddamn same. What are they gonna do, have repeats of the same jokes as well?

A good question. Personally, I might be able to swallow the whole thing if they released it as a boxed set right off the bat. Singles? Not likely. I'd be extremely impressed if they actually isolated the superfluous Endless Eight material as some kind of special extra material for the dedicated completionists, although I'm not under any illusions that this is a likely scenario.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Shale

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:52 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
If I didn't know any better, it seems like you want season 2 to do poorly.

Yes, for the same reason Dragonball Evolution should do poorly. You're catching on!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6