• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Starting to take care of duplicate staff tasks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:45 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:

Production Assistant ← Assistant producer (279 ← 54)

I've seen "Assistant Producer" and "Production Assistant" appear as different tasks in the same credits before (first thing that comes to mind is Bang Zoom credits). I don't think they're completely synonymous.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
With the new system for precision you get the message e.g. 'and is already credited with Key Animation but with precision "Ep. 3"' when trying to submit someone for a role they are already credited with.

However, if you submit them for an alias of that role using the new system ("Task 原画 will be displayed as Key Animation") you do not get the above text, although the role itself is still red.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

色指定: Colour Coordination(Color Coordination) / iro shitei / Color Coordination / Iroshitei

I've also entered this as "Colour setting" personally.

Specifically what I've seen in the credits I've been entering recently is "色指定・検査". I've been looking at the first part of this only, since at least that way the person is credited but since we're looking at this now anyway I thought I'd bring it up. The second part just means inspection and I think it is meant to be read as "色検査", or "colour inspection", but since it is on the shiage page you could possible also interpret it as shiage inspection.

Today, I've seen it accompanied by another person credited with "検査補佐" which isn't on the list at all. The rough meaning seems to be "inspection assistance", but again, I'm not sure whether to enter this as "colour inspection assistance" or what since it isn't explicitly stated what they are inspecting, it just appears sandwiched between the colour designer (as above) and the shiage team.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I need some time to go through all that but from a quick flick through:

Ending Key Animation
Ending Secondary Key Animation
Opening Animation
Opening Key Animation

From the quidelines as I understsand them, these should be listed as "Key Animation" with precision "OP" etc.

But what about the cases where certain animators already have a number of episodes under their belt? A 26 episode series with smaller studios people's episode precision fills up fast so sometimes I think it's just as logical to split into opening/ending categories. Of course the easiest way is to opt out all together and put several episodes or leave it empty all together I suppose.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I've just seen different companies credited with "制作プロダクション" and "製作" on the same title.
One translates to Seisaku Production and the other just to Seisaku (but with different Kanji..) and going by the above list Seisaku normally maps to "production" so have both a tautology and two sets of companies credited in English as "production".
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I've just seen different companies credited with "制作プロダクション" and "製作" on the same title.
One translates to Seisaku Production and the other just to Seisaku (but with different Kanji..) and going by the above list Seisaku normally maps to "production" so have both a tautology and two sets of companies credited in English as "production".

The two "seisaku" are slightly different (I learned it the hard way): if you use Japanese IME to enter "せいさく" there would be two dialog balloons besides 制作 and 製作.

Quote:
制作
[芸術的]「絵画の制作, 卒業制作.」

製作
[実用的・量産]「医療機器の製作.」

The first is artistic while the second is commercial, and they are credits of animation studios and production committee, respectively. As far as I know there is no direct equivalent in English; adding adjectives like "artistic production" or "commercial production" are rather weird.

This is just one of many examples; Yamakan's credit as "series enshutsu" (シリーズ演出) gave us a big headache back in 2006...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
I just made some changes to the way the Encyclopedia handles merged staff tasks. They are now recorded in the database as they were entered, without being first converted to the merged version.

Is it supposed to show the "merged version" everwhere? Currently title pages show the merged name while person pages show what was actually entered - I've noticed this with Kanji roles (which I have been using where aliases exist to reflect the original source), but I've just seen an error flagged because Courtney Utt was accidentally entered as "desgin" for the english version of Absolute Boyfriend - the role is evidentally merged since "Design" shows correctly on the manga page, but it has generated an unnecessary, but technically correct, error report due to the way it displays and I can't think of a good reason for having the alias show on the person pages.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:18 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

オリジナルキャラクター原案: Original Character Concepts(Original Character Concept)
キャラクター原案: Character Conceptual Design / Original Character Design / character original draft / kyarakutaa genan

Also "キャラクターデザイン原案"
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Missing from the list:

企画プロデューサー (Planning Producer?)
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Translation ← (English Translation Script (117 ← 765)
Translation ← English Translation (117 ← 741)
Translation ← French Translation (117 ← 4168)
Translation ← Japanese Translations (117 ← 1119)
Translation ← Traduction (117 ← 4297)
Translation ← Translation (1) (117 ← 4573)
Translation ← Translatoin (117 ← 2443)
Translation ← Übersetzer (117 ← 4220)

I just added "QA Translator" from Funimation's Slayers Revolution discs.
386sky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
キャスト will be called as Original Japanese Cast.
企画 will be called as Planning in one section.
制作 will be called as Producer in one section.
脚本 will be called as Screenplay with both three sections.
絵コンテ will be called as Storyboards with both three sections.
演出 will be called as Episode Director with both three sections.
作画監督 will be called as Animation Director with both three sections.
原画 will be called as Original Illustration in two sections.
美術設定 will be called as Art Setting.
音響効果 will be called as Sound Effects.
録音 will be called as Recording.
音響制作 will be called as Sound Production in regular section, and Sound Director in ending section.
アニメーション制作 will be called as Animation Production in one section.
制作 will be called as Produced by in one section.

Last edited by 386sky on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I've also seen 作画監督補 as assistant animation director as well as 作画監督補佐.

You can add 作画監督協力 to that list also...
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
The translation is performed when displaying the complete anime page but not in some other places (to my surprise, as I didn't dare to hope that the kanji are actually stored permanently and only translated on the fly which will allow for a lossless undo of any particular translation).
  • In Ichigo 100% you can see "SAOTOME, Yusaku (ep 13)" being credited for Animation Director.
  • On the person page for Yusaku Saotome this same credit is displayed as "Ichigo 100% (TV) : 作画監督 (ep 13), 演出 (eps 3-4, 13-14)".
  • When I entered the credit via the kanji name 五月女 有作 for Saotome Yusaku I was informed that there are two people of this name, and even after I made a decision between these two I was informed that he is already staff in this anime (marked in red) for 作画監督 (1).

At the same time, the translation is performed during cast input already but then not compared properly against already existing credits of said person. I just credited Hiroyuki Yanase for 絵コンテ, and the credit input form told me this:
Code:
Task 絵コンテ  will be displayed as Storyboard
This name exists in the database
and is credited with: Animation Director (9), Key Animation (5), Episode Director (2), Original Drawing (1), Storyboard (1)
But it didn't highlight the "Storyboard (1)" in green, therefore I assume that the comparison whether this person was already credited for the task in question was performed prior to the translation, thus comparing the (untranslated) kanji value against the (translated) existing credits.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:56 am Reply with quote
A few days ago I fixed the person page to display the correct task name (i.e. Animation Director instead of 作画監督)

And now I fixed the submission form so it will properly consider synonym tasks as equivalent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Trying to address animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=897838, I've been looking in the few Japanese manga to try and find out how a manga editor is credited (no luck so far.. it may relate to the original magazine editor?). Anyway, I tried translating all the credits for the Uta Kata manga, and the following roles all gave me problems

発行者 久木敏行
発行所 株式会社メディアワークス
発売元 株式会社角川書店
カバー・本文デサイン 亀口和明
装丁 朝倉哲也 (design CREST)

The first three all basically translate as publisher (the middle one as "publishing house" but we already have Mediaworks credited as "publisher" so..).
カバーデサイン (Cover Design) gave me no problems, but 本文デサイン? I've translated it literally for now as "text design" but that doesn't seem right. Lettering maybe?
装丁 translates literally as binding but that definitely doesn't seem right. We already have Tetsuya Asakura in the encyclopedia, mostly as a logo designer but I'm not sure exactly what he is supposed to have done here since we already have a cover designer and it uses the same logo as the TV series (which I assume was designed by Noriyuki Jinguji who is credited with "Main Title Design"). Did he design the spine or something? Did he do the actual cover while Kazuaki Kameguchi did the dust jacket or vice versa?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10