• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Starting to take care of duplicate staff tasks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:12 am Reply with quote
386sky wrote:
テロップ = Telop
コンテ = Conte

Conte is short for continuity, i.e. storyboards, and was in the list in on the very first page of this topic.

Telop is actually in the Dictionary, is short for "television opaque projector" and related to credits or other text overlays. See also wikipedia.

doc-watson42 wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Just a note to add to what we have.

I found an old error report made by Yuji Hayami who apparently speaks a degree of English. His name was entered incorrectly (copied from the Tokyopop DVD credits which are riddled with errors) and he also notes:

"And my task is more correctly must be called Story Editor. I constructed all series stories."

The term used in Japanese was シリーズ構成 (translated by Tokyopop as "Series Structure")

Also equals (chief?) scenario writer? A bit more at Sunrise.

Oh, that reminds me - Konaka was the シリーズ構成 for Digimon Tamers which he translates himself as "Story Editor/ Writer in Chief" - and he does speak English (I emailed him once).

Also while I'm thinking of it - Hidefumi Kimura was credited as シリーズ構成 for Kiddy Grade and this was written, rather Engrishy, as "Screen Plays Planned by" on the DVDs: http://www.kiddygrade.info/stuff/animenfo/cover1.jpg
We're currently using "Series Composition".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
386sky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:43 am Reply with quote
Possible translations:

From the Escaflowne DVD credits:
文芸 = titles
広報 = press relations
進行 = scheduling
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote
With the extended translation table, "演出" is now translated to "unit director" for an anime series.

But the database contains tons of anime series where credits are given for "episode director" in the case of "演出". When someone will contribute credits for "演出" they might create duplicate credits it they're not aware of "unit director" and "episode director" being the same thing. (I just tried to add "演出" credits for a series that had episode director credits for only a few episodes, and manually translated them to "episode director" to avoid that.)

Would it be possible to replace (via SQL) all "episode director" credits by "演出" in the whole database, and/or make the display depending on the type of anime (i. e. different for series resp. movies)?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote
That would be assuming that everyone currently listed as episode director was credited as 演出 in Japanese, which isn't a given. At the very least someone would have to first manually to check a proportion of the credits to see if the term is used consistently but I don't think any term should be back translated to Japanese internally.

If we take "episode director" as an equal or equivalent role to "unit director" then both should be set to display the same anyway (treating them contextually would be nice as you say, although if you consider an episode to be a "unit" then the difference is academic).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
386sky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote
The task 動画検査 should display as Animation Checker, in your SONY Vegas project files.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
386sky wrote:
テロップ = Telop
コンテ = Conte
Conte is short for continuity, i.e. storyboards, and was in the list in on the very first page of this topic.
But as of now it isn't being auto-translated, unlike 絵コンテ.

Having said that, the translation rate for staff persons has become very good now, with only a few strings missing. It would be great to use the same table for companies as well which obviously isn't the case yet.

Adding some credits this week ended up in these kanji strings not being translated for staff persons:
  • アニメーション制作プロデューサー = "Animation [Work] Producer" (the person has been credited as "Animation Producer" and "Production Manager" in other releases)
  • コンテ = "conte" = "Storyboard" (used in the context of "ED section" for this person, Storyboard credits for a whole work are normally labeled 絵コンテ)
  • プロップデザイン補佐 = "Prop Design Assistant" (an animator)
  • 協力 = "Cooperation/Collaboration" (probably still underspecified, the person has been credited for "Production Cooperation" in other releases)
  • 製作担当 = "Production in-charge"? (three different production jobs by people from different companies, together they may be the "Production Committee")
  • 背景協力 = "Background Art Cooperation" (two persons normally credited for Background Art)
  • 調整 = "regulation, adjustment, tuning" (a sound engineer)

Another recent contribution object of mine has the following untranslated strings:
  • グラフィックデザイン = "Graphic Design"
  • デザイン協力 = "Design Cooperation" (two animators)
  • 検査 = "Inspection" (by four different persons from the "Color" / "Finish Check" department, so probably equivalent to "Check")
    検査補佐 = "Inspection Assistant" (the person being a split candidate, this credit belongs to the "Color" / "Finish" part of it)
    衣装デザイン協力 = "Clothing/Costume Design Cooperation" (an animator / animation director)
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I started to add information to Takehiro Miura (#29860) from his official Web site's works page, but I've run into difficulty with some of his anime credits. "第1原画" (which I apparently have also seen as "第一原画") translates as "primary key animation", which is not in the database, though "First Key Animation" is. Is this what I should use, or is there a more correct term?

Also, what is "作監補"?
braves

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I believe we actually have "1st Key Animation" not "First Key Animation". In either case, primary and first mean the same thing to me. I've never heard of a distinction being made between "primary" and "first" in the production process. 1st is merely what's used more frequently.

I believe 作監補 is merely another way to shorthand 作画監督補佐 (assistant animation director). See my previous post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
I believe we actually have "1st Key Animation" not "First Key Animation".

We apparently have both—I used "First Key Animation" because it was already in the system, and I did not think of "1st…".

braves wrote:
In either case, primary and first mean the same thing to me. I've never heard of a distinction being made between "primary" and "first" in the production process. 1st is merely what's used more frequently.

What's the difference between first key animation and ordinary key animation?

braves wrote:
I believe 作監補 is merely another way to shorthand 作画監督補佐 (assistant animation director). See my previous post.

Thanks! Before I enter anything more, are there any dissenting opinions? If not, I'll go ahead with "assistant animation director".
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Why not enter the kanji task and wait how it will be translated? Sooner or later someone will do this anyway.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:21 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:

I have no idea, but he's put himself down for i]both[/i] on Kamichu.
Could it be he's just using different terms for Key Animation and 2nd Key Animation? I don't have any of those titles to hand to check what is in the actual credits.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:01 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:

Could it be he's just using different terms for Key Animation and 2nd Key Animation?

Okay…that begs the question—what's 2nd key animation? Anime smile + sweatdrop
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:03 am Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
Why not enter the kanji task and wait how it will be translated? Sooner or later someone will do this anyway.

It did not really occur to me, and I would rather just enter the credits "correctly" the first time, as opposed to waiting for someone else.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:

Could it be he's just using different terms for Key Animation and 2nd Key Animation?

From an animator herself:

Quote:
By the way key animation positions are separated into two different categories: the dai-ichi genga (ichi-gen or 1-gen for short) is a skilled animator that produces quality rough animation, and the dai-ni genga (ni-gen or 2-gen for short) is a clean-up artist who isn’t usually very skilled at all, but has become an evil necessity. Clean-up refers to redrawing a rough sketch to create the final line work. Until quite recently, anime productions had no need for clean-up artists since cleaning up the roughs was part of the key animators’ jobs. However, the deadlines are so insanely tight nowadays that sending out the roughs to clean-up artists is becoming a normal part of the process. I never knowingly accept rough animation-only gigs because the results are almost always disappointing. Projects often end up going down that route anyway, though.

As a side note, I've seen people like Norio Matsumoto and Yasuomi Umetsu credited with doing 2nd Key Animation long after they've established themselves. The use of 2nd key animators varies from episode to episode from what I've seen. Some episodes have none, then the very next one might have a ton. It can also vary from within section to section within one episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:

From an animator herself:

Quote:
By the way key animation positions are separated into two different categories: the dai-ichi genga (ichi-gen or 1-gen for short) is a skilled animator that produces quality rough animation, and the dai-ni genga (ni-gen or 2-gen for short) is a clean-up artist who isn’t usually very skilled at all, but has become an evil necessity.
<snip>

Ah!—thanks! Perhaps we should standardize the titles, instead of key versus 2nd key within the same production?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10