• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Starting to take care of duplicate staff tasks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Ah!—thanks! Perhaps we should standardize the titles, instead of key versus 2nd key within the same production?

I'm thinking about "primary" and "secondary" instead of just "1st" and "2nd". Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:
Ah!—thanks! Perhaps we should standardize the titles, instead of key versus 2nd key within the same production?

I'm thinking about "primary" and "secondary" instead of just "1st" and "2nd". Thoughts?

I checked WWWJDIC, which says:

Quote:
第一([common word]); 第1 【だいいち】 (adv,n) first; foremost; number one

Quote:
第二; 第2 【だいに】 (n,adj-no) second

"First" and "second" are therefore more correct, but "primary" and "secondary" make more sense in this context.

Also, I ask that Ms. Yamauchi's definition be added to the Lexicon.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
"First" and "second" are therefore more correct, but "primary" and "secondary" make more sense in this context.

Eh, yeah, that's why I posted them for thoughts. For those who know little about animation production, "first" doesn't make much sense. The questions is, shall we stick to the literal translation, or make the translation easier to understand?

doc-watson42 wrote:

Gotta ask tempest, Dan, or abunai.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:24 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:

Eh, yeah, that's why I posted them for thoughts. For those who know little about animation production, "first" doesn't make much sense. The questions is, shall we stick to the literal translation, or make the translation easier to understand?

The latter (though I don't feel too strongly about it), with (of course) redirects from the former.

dormcat wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:

Gotta ask tempest, Dan, or abunai.

Well, I hope one of them wanders through and reads this.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
The questions is, shall we stick to the literal translation, or make the translation easier to understand?
Consistent, please - and following the line of thought for 原画 being "Key Animation" instead of "Original Picture", this would be a vote for "easier to understand".
braves

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:41 am Reply with quote
I vote for sticking with "1st" and "2nd". I don't see the change as making it any more clearer as how the tasks are distributed.

I added 'イメージボード" to the database. From here
Quote:

イメージボード Image boards = Concept art
The Japanese literally says "image board", but that's not very helpful, so I suspect the meaning to be more generally concept art. It's the drawings that Yoshifumi Kondo and Kazuhide Tomonaga drew to build up the concept for Nemo in the pre-production stage, or the paintings drawn by Yuichiro Sueyoshi of Coo in a moonlit pond etc. (in the Official Guide publication) to flesh out the visual direction of the film.

So yeah, I vote for "Concept Art".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure I've entered イメージボード before, probably translated directly to Image Boards.
braves

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Going back a bit to positioning the credits by importance, I think "Mechanical animation Director" and "Character Animation Director" should be raised to be on-par with the regular "Animation Director". Also, the "a" in animation should be capitalized, right?

The distinction between the メカニック作画監督 and キャラクター作画監督 is usually only used on mecha shows, but the task is the same.

I added these two a while back for Star Driver:

モーション設計= Motion Design
サイバディデザイン補佐= Psybody Design Assistance

Now that I look at it again, I think I should place the second one under a "Mechanical Design" precision. Both of these tasks debuted on this show, but the later isn't going to show up on any other series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
サイバディデザイン補佐= Psybody Design Assistance

Now that I look at it again, I think I should place the second one under a "Mechanical Design" precision. Both of these tasks debuted on this show, but the later isn't going to show up on any other series.

Yeah, there were a couple of episodic character designers for Kiddy GiRL-and which I originally entered exactly as credited (see sources), but then realised it was silly and re-entered them as regular character designers with precision instead.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:12 am Reply with quote
Would the current data model allow a mapping between fancy tasks and standard tasks with fancy precisions, such as the case just mentioned? Would that cost more than another translation table?
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
クリーチャーデザイン = Creature Design

I saw this one when re-entering credits for Eiji Abiko. It's previously unentered in Japanese form but the exact same task appears to exists for different people in different anime (at least Heroman and My-Hime) so I felt it was worth adding for translation.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
The opening credits for Hourou Musuko are fully bilingual. I've been meaning to make a note of their mappings for reference purposes so:

原作: Based on the comic by
製作: Executive producer
チーフプロヂューサー: Chief producer
プロヂューサー: Producer
シリーズ構成: Series composer
キャラクターデザイン: Character designer
総作画監督: Chief animation director
小物設定/衣装デザイナ協力: Prop and costume design assistant
メインアニメーター: Chief animator
美術監督: Art director
美術設定: Set designer
編集: Editor
色彩設計: Color design
コンポジットデイレクター: Composite director
CGプロヂューサー: CG Producer
音響監督: Sound director
音楽プロデューサー: Music producer
オーペニングテーマ: Opening theme
音楽: Music
音楽制作: Music production
アニメーションプロデューサー: Animation producer
アニメーション制作: Animation Producer
監督: Director
制作: Production

I think the only thing that came as an surprise is 美術設定 as "Set designer".
braves

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

I think the only thing that came as an surprise is 美術設定 as "Set designer".
Listening to Nobuhito Sue describe his task as the "Art Setting" guy for Claymore led me to believe that's what they did. They actually come up with the ideas on what the backgrounds will be based on the director's instructions and following the art director's lead on their choices of colors (at least that's what I remember).

EDIT: I also encountered 絵コンテ清書 for the latest episode of Hourou Musuko. Any ideas for a translation?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:50 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

原作 can be the original of just about anything, not necessary a comic. For a long time I've been entering it as "original creator."

braves wrote:
EDIT: I also encountered 絵コンテ清書 for the latest episode of Hourou Musuko. Any ideas for a translation?

I assume (not 100% sure) that it's "storyboard cleanup." Some directors' storyboards (such as Hayao Miyazaki's) are almost clean like publishable manga (and certainly better than Yoshihiro Togashi's "serializing" Hunter x Hunter), but others are so sketchy and hardly understandable, thus needs someone to clean it up.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:14 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

原作 can be the original of just about anything, not necessary a comic. For a long time I've been entering it as "original creator."

I was just recording, verbatim, what they used in those particular credits since getting an English translation directly from Japan is rare.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10