• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Starting to take care of duplicate staff tasks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:04 am Reply with quote
I can't find an answer to this question, and I think this is the applicable thread. If somebody is credited with "Authoring and Encoding" or "Authoring and Compression" do we separate those tasks or leave the "and" in? I've seen it both ways.
Kraker2k

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
What would be an apt translation for "友情作監"?
Searching ANN shows its been entered on the pages for about 3 people as a Kanji credit, but it hasn't been translated, and it seems to be entered in the database as "Co Animation Director" - If my understanding is correct, then is this just another way of saying "Assistant Animation Director"?
Or should I just keep it as Co Animation Director?
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Assistant Producer should be separated from Production Assistant as they are not the same task. This causes problems in cases like Haruhi 2009 renewal English credits. There is only one Assistant Producer but several Production Assistants, and the difference is not easily visible with them merged.

Reiterating that these need to be unconnected, seeing this problem with the Squid Girl English credits recently. Victor Sgroi is "Assistant Producer" and Christine Marie Cabanos and Chet Brier are "Production Assistants", but the distinction is not at all visible on the series page.

Also, "Music Producer" should not redirect to "Music Production". In Japanese credits the former is 音楽プロデューサー and the latter is 音楽制作, and as with other producer/production examples, they are not the same thing.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I've split "Producer" from "Production" tasks... except for "Production Producers" ( 制作プロデューサー / 製作プロデューサー )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
I can't find an answer to this question, and I think this is the applicable thread. If somebody is credited with "Authoring and Encoding" or "Authoring and Compression" do we separate those tasks or leave the "and" in? I've seen it both ways.

I really depends on the situation. Some tasks go together so commonly that it makes sense to input them together, i.e. "Story & Art" for mangaka. From our data it seems like most of the time Authoring and Encoding/Compression are done by different people. But even so, it's not uncommon that they are done by the same person, and instinctively they feel like a natural fit together. So I would say it's ok to keep them together if that's how it's written in the official credits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Just added the following to the translation table:

HP => HP
アイコン => Icon
アイディア => Idea
アニメーター => Animator
アレンジ => Arrangement
クレヨン => Crayon
コーディネーター => Coordinator
サブ => Sub
サブ => Sub-
ストリングス => Strings
ゼネラル => General
チェッカー => Checker
パソコン => Computer
ピアノ => Piano
フレームワーク => Framework
プロット => Plot
マネージメント => Management
ミュージック => Music
メイン => Main
メカニカル => Mechanical
ラフ => Rough
協力 => Supporting
友情 => Co-
友情 => Support
友情 => Supporting
場面 => Scene
映像 => Video
検 => Check
検 => Inspection
構図 => Composition
演助 => Unit Director Assistant
演奏 => Musical Performance
演奏 => Performance
特撮 => Special Effects
画面 => Screen
職人 => Artist
職人 => Worker
舞台 => Scene
舞台 => Stage
蒼 => Blue
蒼 => Blue-Screen
部 => Department
配給 => Distribution

Which resulted in these additional associations with existing English tasks as possible translations:

メインアニメーター => Main Animator (1821)
レイアウトチェッカー => Layout Check (2989)
セル検 => Cel Check (2273)
友情作監 => Co-Animation Director (1155)
3DCGマネージメント => 3D CG Management (5088)
演奏 => Musical Performance (3883) / Performance (2221)
ゲストメカニカルデザイン => Guest Mechanical Design (1510)
サブデザイン => Sub-Design (3847)
ゼネラルプロデューサー => General Producer (494)
ミュージックディレクター => Music Director (341)
ラインコーディネーター => Line Coordinator (6230)
場面設定 => Scene Design (548) / Scene Setting (3443)
特撮監督 => Special Effects Director (3068)
舞台設定 => Scene Design (548) / Scene Setting (3443) / Stage Design (3994)
配給担当 => Distribution Manager (6646)
アイコンデザイン => Icon Design (7349)
構図 => Composition (1696)
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Currently, "Series Director" displays above "Director", showing it is a more important position. However, I've come across several series (for example, Umi Monogatari, and many Shaft titles such as Bakemonogatari and Puella Magi Madoka Magica) where both 監督 and シリーズディレクター jobs exist, and I'm given the impression that 監督 is the superior position in these situations. Anyone have any particular insight on this, to confirm or not? If "Director" is superior in those cases, then it is a little misleading that "Series Director" displays first, and I can't think of there being any problem with displaying Series Director after plain "Director" with the exception of TV series where the contributor translated 監督 as "Series Director" and 演出 as "Director" (those just need to be fixed anyway).
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:08 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Currently, "Series Director" displays above "Director", showing it is a more important position. However, I've come across several series (for example, Umi Monogatari, and many Shaft titles such as Bakemonogatari and Puella Magi Madoka Magica) where both 監督 and シリーズディレクター jobs exist, and I'm given the impression that 監督 is the superior position in these situations. Anyone have any particular insight on this, to confirm or not?

The phrase 監督 (kantoku) itself contains "supervising" within, so sometimes it is translated as "supervising director"; yet that could raise another confusion with 監修 (kanshū), who often possesses some sort of expertise (cooking, medicine, history, etc.) and is not directly involved in the production but in a distance just to make sure everything is right, sort of like an expert witness.

Besides, while ディレクター is a loan word, it is not exactly equivalent to "Director" in English. This happens a lot: ロードショー ≠ "Roadshow", アルバイト ≠ "Arbeit", etc.

EmperorBrandon wrote:
If "Director" is superior in those cases, then it is a little misleading that "Series Director" displays first, and I can't think of there being any problem with displaying Series Director after plain "Director" with the exception of TV series where the contributor translated 監督 as "Series Director" and 演出 as "Director" (those just need to be fixed anyway).

Well this goes back to the old problem of Japanese staff hierarchy in any given company is not 100% equivalent to that of an American company (sigh).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
...yet that could raise another confusion with 監修 (kanshū), who often possesses some sort of expertise (cooking, medicine, history, etc.) and is not directly involved in the production but in a distance just to make sure everything is right, sort of like an expert witness.

In an American production a person with that job description would be called a consultant. Perhaps something more specific to the thing they are making sure is right, like Military Consultant in a war movie or Medical Consultant in a hospital drama.

Maybe 監修(kanshū) could be changed to consultation/consulting from supervision and 監督 (kantoku) can keep the supervising tag to alleviate confusion?
braves

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Different directors credited on a project also comes up in Mawaru Penguindrum. Shouko Nakamura was credited with "Chief Director" (チーフディレクター), while Kunihiko Ikuhara is credited with the usual "kantoku" (監督). I entered Nakamura's credit as "Chief Episode Director" since I didn't want the show's page to imply that she had a higher position on the show than Ikuhara. You see 総監督 on projects like the Rebuild Evangelion movies where they're clearly stating the person credited with that task is above everybody else, so I don't think it would be best to put that one on a lower position than 監督 as a general rule.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:24 am Reply with quote
Noticed these kanji tasks with a few theme songs lately:

ストリングスアレンジ -> Strings Arrangement
ストリングス編曲 -> Strings Arrangement
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
設定進行 -> Setting Advancement

FUNimation's credits for B Gata H Kei calls this "Setting Facilitator", though "Advancement" would be consistent with the current translation on 制作進行.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote
Just added the following to the translation table:

SF => SF
アクション => Action
アソシエイツ => Associate
アドヴァイザー => Adviser
アドヴァイザー => Advisor
アバン => Avant-
アバン => Opening
イメージ => Image
カウント => Count
キャラ => Character
クリエイティブ => Creative
コーラス => Chorus
スチューデント => Student
セット => Set
ティーチャー => Teacher
テロップ => Telop
テロップ => Subtitles
ディレクタ => Director -- (not sure if this is right, after reading dormcat's comment above)
ビークル => Vehicle
プラグイン => Plugin
モーション => Motion
リーダー => Leader
リーダー => Lead-up
リーダー => Reader
ヴィジュアル => Visual
兼 => Supplemental
兼 => Co-
兼 => Additional
室 => Room
後 => Post-
提供 => Sponsoring
楽曲 => Music Composition
画コンテ => Storyboard
監修 => Consultant -- (if this is a better translation than Supervisor, it changes the meaning of 監修 a lot)
監修 => Consulting
記録 => Records
説明 => Explanation
進行 => Facilitator -- (first time I hear this, but I like it; "Advancement" always felt wrong, too literal)

Which resulted in these additional associations with existing English tasks as possible translations:

監修 => Consultant (567)
イメージリーダー => Image Reader (3846) / Image Leader (3784) -- (I have no idea which of these is the correct translation, as neither makes any sense to me)
ビークルデザイン => Vehicle Design (1102)
作画監修 => Animation Consultant (1022)
画コンテ => Storyboard (24)
設定監修 => Design Consultant (650)
3Dセットデザイン => 3D Set Design (8845)
SF設定 => SF Setting (1717)
アクション作監 => Action Animation Director (546)
アソシエイツプロデューサー => Associate producer (45)
クリエイティブプロデューサー => Creative Producer (2361)
ゲストキャラデザイン => Guest Character Design (1505)
コーラス => Chorus (1695)
ディレクタ => Director (3)
モーション設計 => Motion Design (7195)
ヴィジュアルエフェクト => Visual Effects (1143)
総監修 => General Consultant (5149)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
監修 => Consultant -- (if this is a better translation than Supervisor, it changes the meaning of 監修 a lot)

At first I seconded the new translation, as in most cases 監修 doesn't get too involved with the production of a title, but then I remembered the term komon (顧問), although the term is not often seen in anime credits. I'd say 監修 falls in between 監督 and 顧問 in the level of involvement:

監督: Supervising everything directly.
監修: Keeps eyes watching (and still an insider), but doesn't get involved unless necessary.
顧問: Basically an outsider; gives advises only when asked / consulted.

IIRC there are credit rolls with both 監修 and スーパーバイザー (supervisor). Anime dazed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
副監督
Here's one I've found isn't in the translation table yet. I think it should be "Assistant Director" as with 助監督, but 副 seems to have a wider variety of potential translations. I would see how NISA translated it for Takaharu Okuma in Yuruyuri (if they did), though I don't have the Blu-ray on hand at the moment (it's with a relative). Also, is "Assistant Director" important enough to be a primary staff credit (it's currently not)?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10